Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iospace posted:

This is glazed outside, unglazed inside. I'll get a pic sometime when I'm at home.

I'd still preheat with the oven honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and I forgot to include the money shot:

It was my first attempt at a no-knead bread, and I definitely didn't get it mixed as well as it should have been. Oh well (70% hydration for what it's worth).

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 19, 2017

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Thanks for the pita bread suggestions on the last page. I wanna try that Lebanese mountain bread but I'm afraid I'll rip it immediately.

Also any suggestions for black breads?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Smykowski posted:

Also any suggestions for black breads?

I found this curiosity via google, haven't tried it: http://www.malaysiabest.net/2009/07/31/black-bread-bamboo-charcoal-sesame-bread/

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Malaysia never fails to deliver

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

I finally bought the Bread Baker's Apprentice and it is, indeed, an amazing book. Tried making bagels for the first time, came out pretty much perfect. Really looking forward to trying out the other recipes now

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh nice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So I gave this a go: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/russian-black-bread-recipe

It's good, very soft and very dense.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Kenshin posted:

I think this is one of the good recipes that has gone around: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/32997/hokkaido-milk-bread-tangzhong

I tried this, but it's definitely geared towards American cooks. I needed a lot more water (about 25ml) more to get a workable dough, and the end result, while tasty, wasn't mind-blowingly awesome. Also, I'd really prefer something that doesn't use cups as a unit of measurement.

At least now I know that tangzhong is piss easy to make.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have pictures, finally (loaf put in just after shaping, so no pre-heating done:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Stringent posted:

So I gave this a go: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/russian-black-bread-recipe

It's good, very soft and very dense.

This looks hella good

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
I tried making a sourdough starter but hit a snag: my starter is lazy. I've been feeding it at a 1:1:1 ratio once a day, and eight days in, it doesn't rise. It smells all right and there are bubbles after I feed it... Just not very many, and the starter doesn't puff up.

I've been using all purpose flour and filtered water so I don't know what the deal is. The kitchen's a little chillier than ideal (~21C) but not cold enough that I'd think it would be a problem. Do I get some rye flour to toss in there? Start over? Just give it more time?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
21C is chilly enough to be a problem. You really want it to be somewhere between 25-30C. I had months of problems first with my starter and later with my loaves because I underestimated how finicky the yeast are about their bottom range of temperature.

Have you got an oven you can leave the light on in, or any warmer places you can leave it?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm. I'll try making a warm space for it. Dumb picky yeast. :argh:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Brass Key posted:

I tried making a sourdough starter but hit a snag: my starter is lazy. I've been feeding it at a 1:1:1 ratio once a day,

Wait what's the ratio? I feed mine 1:1 water:AP white and it works well but now I figure I must be missing something :tinfoil:

e: oh is the extra "1" the previous starter? Meaning 150 g starter, 150 g water, 150 g flour?

Unrelated: my new favorite part of sourdough is Friday night, making the leaven and belting this song, to the bewilderment of my wife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9sP_rt9c_k

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 4, 2017

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Wait what's the ratio? I feed mine 1:1 water:AP white and it works well but now I figure I must be missing something :tinfoil:

e: oh is the extra "1" the previous starter? Meaning 150 g starter, 150 g water, 150 g flour?

Unrelated: my new favorite part of sourdough is Friday night, making the leaven and belting this song, to the bewilderment of my wife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9sP_rt9c_k

Yeah, starter/water/flour.

The lazy starter I posted about never really took off even after sitting it on my nice warm 25C water heater, so I started over with the pineapple juice method. Now I've got a powerful (though only mildly sour) starter that triples in size after ~5 hours. I'm letting it run for a few more days to make sure it's stable and then putting it in the fridge, because I'm getting seriously overrun with baked goods keeping up with the discard.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I think I'm finally getting the hang of this:

I'm quite proud of this because last year at this time of year the lower temperatures in my kitchen led to this monstrosity:

Stringent posted:

Man, I need some help. Ever since the weather turned cold my loaves have been screwed. I think it's a proofing problem? I've been doing ever increasing proofing times, and it's had an effect on how dense the bread is, but no matter what I'm getting these huge pockets of steam at the top of the loaf. Everything was coming out perfect when the weather was warm, so I guess it has to be due to the temperature, but I'm kinda at my wit's end trying to figure this out. Can anyone point me in a direction?

Here's the latest victim before proofing:

This is after proofing overnight in a @50 degree room. This is the longest proof I've done, prior to this it's been 3-4 hours plus or minus in a @70 degree room. It was very slack to the touch, all the poke test things would have called it overproofed:

And here it is after baking:

And here's an abridged history of things going wrong.

This was the beginning of it back in October:

Which then led to this. Notice the density of the crumb, I was under the impression this was underproofed but God knows:

Then the one just before this last loaf which I watched like a hawk throughout proofing, according to the poke test this one should have been right, but:

I'm baking in a cast iron pan with a steel bowl for a lid for the first half of the bake. This was working fine previously, so it should be fine, but at this point who the hell knows?

But now, since I know what a properly fermented dough looks, feels and moves like, the lower temperatures aren't a problem at all. In fact, the longer fermentation helps the flavor imo.

Anyhow, just felt like bragging a little. :)

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Stringent posted:

Sitting in the bus going home, hungry for dinner. Seeing this just made my mouth water and my stomach started digesting itself. Thank you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Want to eat this.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stringent posted:

I'm quite proud of this because last year at this time of year the lower temperatures in my kitchen led to this monstrosity:

But now, since I know what a properly fermented dough looks, feels and moves like, the lower temperatures aren't a problem at all. In fact, the longer fermentation helps the flavor imo.

Anyhow, just felt like bragging a little. :)

Looks great, congratulations. That's a beautiful loaf. Do you have a crumb shot?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Made it for my father in law so not this time. Looked about like the others I've been posting lately.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Never made bread before. Kinda guessed at a recipe and went for it.
No idea what happened with the top, apparently there was a hole.

200g AP flour
100g white whole wheat
175g water
5g sugar
5g active dry yeast
5g salt

Rested for 1.5 hours in the oven with the light on (pretty cold in my apartment), shaped and then rested again for 30 minutes while the oven & dutch oven preheated.
Baked at 450 for 30 minutes then 15 minutes uncovered.

Came out really ugly but surprisingly edible. Didn't have a use for it so I sliced it up and put it in the freezer for toast.

I should probably follow a recipe more closely next time, but did I completely mess it up?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pulled the trigger on an Ankarsrum :getin:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

pulled the trigger on an Ankarsrum :getin:

You've made a good decision.

Are they on sale anywhere for Black Friday?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No idea but the black chrome for the new model is at 650 rather than 700.

/e- a slickdeals search shows no hits for it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Oh well, still the best non industrial stand mixer on the market. That thing will last decades. Getting used to it is a slight process. Mainly you have to go faster and longer than a KA. It's really hard to go too far with it, though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm assuming it doesn't heat up the dough as dramatically as the KA? I pulled the trigger after having to baby what was should have been a lazy lb loaf earlier this week. I've been watching the youtube videos to prepare and a ton of sourdough pizza will be my first thing. How well does an autolyse period work with it?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm assuming it doesn't heat up the dough as dramatically as the KA? I pulled the trigger after having to baby what was should have been a lazy lb loaf earlier this week. I've been watching the youtube videos to prepare and a ton of sourdough pizza will be my first thing. How well does an autolyse period work with it?

It basically doesn't heat up the dough at all. Autolysing is just fine, no problems there - just do it with the roller and scraper in place.

Think of an Ankarsrum's kneading/mixing action as basically being hand kneading, but automatic. It's slightly faster, but nowhere near a planetary mixer's speed.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emotive posted:

Never made bread before. Kinda guessed at a recipe and went for it.
No idea what happened with the top, apparently there was a hole.

200g AP flour
100g white whole wheat
175g water
5g sugar
5g active dry yeast
5g salt

Rested for 1.5 hours in the oven with the light on (pretty cold in my apartment), shaped and then rested again for 30 minutes while the oven & dutch oven preheated.
Baked at 450 for 30 minutes then 15 minutes uncovered.

Came out really ugly but surprisingly edible. Didn't have a use for it so I sliced it up and put it in the freezer for toast.

I should probably follow a recipe more closely next time, but did I completely mess it up?

Looks like you just baked it upside down and the seam opened. If you'd like a more open crumb, could use more hydration and perhaps proofing adjustments but you got a decent rise.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm making no knead bread. I think the bowl I put my dough in for the first countertop rise is too small. It's been rising for about 8 hours. Can I transfer it to a larger container without doing any harm?

Welp nevermind. I went to sleep and when I woke up, I found out my wife found the covered bowl, which I left sitting next to our rice cooker. She thought it was rice and put it in the fridge overnight :(

Edit I'm going to make it anyway to see what happens.

This incident made me think of looking for a quicker recipe and I found the quicker no-knead recipe by Bittman. Does anyone have experience with that one? Is it good?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 19, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hi bread thread. A new bakery opened nearby and everything they make is embarrassingly more delicious than my own breads, or just plain more inventive. How to get my groove back?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sextro posted:

Hi bread thread. A new bakery opened nearby and everything they make is embarrassingly more delicious than my own breads, or just plain more inventive. How to get my groove back?

Cost considerations

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Sextro posted:

Go in at a slow time and chat up the owner/head baker/whatever. If they tell you to gently caress off, whatever, but if they're not busy I'd imagine most people would be cool to chat. If you hit it off, maybe ask if you can bring one of your own loaves for them to try in the future.

edit: just, you know, be cool about it.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 20, 2017

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

me your dad posted:

I'm making no knead bread. I think the bowl I put my dough in for the first countertop rise is too small. It's been rising for about 8 hours. Can I transfer it to a larger container without doing any harm?

Welp nevermind. I went to sleep and when I woke up, I found out my wife found the covered bowl, which I left sitting next to our rice cooker. She thought it was rice and put it in the fridge overnight :(

Edit I'm going to make it anyway to see what happens.

This incident made me think of looking for a quicker recipe and I found the quicker no-knead recipe by Bittman. Does anyone have experience with that one? Is it good?

Is that the NYT one? I've made it a couple of times and it's pretty good. I think kneaded bread is overall tastier, though. As for fridge time, don't worry about it. Giving bread an overnight fridge rise can improve the flavor.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

Go in at a slow time and chat up the owner/head baker/whatever. If they tell you to gently caress off, whatever, but if they're not busy I'd imagine most people would be cool to chat. If you hit it off, maybe ask if you can bring one of your own loaves for them to try in the future.

edit: just, you know, be cool about it.

If you make good enough friends they might let you bring by your unbaked loaves to bake in their oven.
The bakery I used to work at me and the other employees would bring in our unbaked loaves to throw in the oven all the time.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Brass Key posted:

Is that the NYT one? I've made it a couple of times and it's pretty good. I think kneaded bread is overall tastier, though. As for fridge time, don't worry about it. Giving bread an overnight fridge rise can improve the flavor.

Yeah, it's the NYT one. My wife put it into the fridge about nine hours into the initial counter-top rise (it should have been on the counter about 16 hours). It was in the fridge for about six hours before I found it. I set it on the counter and let it get back to room temperature for about 3 hours and then I put it back into the fridge, where it sits now (I will be baking it on Wednesday).

We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, I plan on trying some shorter recipes this week. I like the simplicity of the no-knead bread, but I don't like having to plan ahead like four or five days just to make some bread.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The funny thing is I feel I get bigger loaves out of kneaded bread than no-knead despite having the same amount of flour, salt, and water. Does the increased yeast make that much of a difference?

Don't really notice a difference in taste though.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 20, 2017

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

I probably could have phrased that better. By "tastier" I just mean I enjoy it more, which is probably more down to the texture of the crumb than actual flavors. (Speaking of flavors, never ever forget the salt. I did one time and it was like eating damp cardboard.)

Does anyone else find sourdough dough to be sticky in a really weird way? I notice it most when I'm cleaning up. Normal dough bits come off a mixing bowl with a little scrubbing. Sourdough bits are a viscous slime that clings to everything. Gluten strands, man. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Brass Key posted:

Does anyone else find sourdough dough to be sticky in a really weird way? I notice it most when I'm cleaning up. Normal dough bits come off a mixing bowl with a little scrubbing. Sourdough bits are a viscous slime that clings to everything. Gluten strands, man. :psyduck:

Hello bread thread! Been making a LOT of bread lately and have read all 83 pages of this thread! About sourdough, I have the same feeling about it. Mine is sticky as hell! I'll post pics eventually!! this thread has inspired me so much!
edit: I say sticky but I really mean what you said. It's harder to clean off of my cookware.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 30, 2017