Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

Any verification on the private plane deduction? Haven’t seen it pop up yet in the news and it seems like an easy thing to latch onto and highlight

I'm wondering how many rich people even own or operate their private planes under their personal name. I would think most of them keep it under an LLC or other corporate entity where the deduction wouldn't matter, or would matter in the sense that Delta gets to deduct operating expenses as a business expense. I'm not sure if this bill only covers personal deduction or also business ones. It's not much different than deducting mileage for a personal car used for business, assuming they aren't out joyriding in their planes. I'm not sure it would be possible to remove that type of deduction only from billionaires while allowing it to be used by the airlines, etc. Do farmers that use horse drawn plows get to deduct horse expenses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

“There’s levels to this sexual assault/harrassment poo poo”

Yeah and even the lowest level should cause someone, ESPECIALLY an elected official, to lose their job.

Sorry if that’s a blanket statement.
*Has never made a tasteless joke that could be considered sexual harrassment under certain circumstances.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The way I'm seeing it is he had a lovely kiss during a skit rehearsal that he stopped immediately and apologized for when she got uncomfortable followed by a boorish photo that did not involve touching. Maybe I'm just callous from all the poo poo I've seen but it's not moving the needle much, even if I think it was in poor taste and deserved an apology.

Saying that if it was a Republican I would lose my mind just because I apparently cannot think logically or consistently does not help your case.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

*Has never made a tasteless joke that could be considered sexual harrassment under certain circumstances.

If you want to bring it up to my future employer you’re more than welcome to. If I run for office you’re more than welcome to.

I’ll run as a democrat though in order to shield myself from the backlash that a republican obviously would have gotten if a picture like that had come out.

Paul Ryan has a picture like that come out he would be DOA in this thread.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

Yeah and even the lowest level should cause someone, ESPECIALLY an elected official, to lose their job.

Yeah, it's a blanket statement.

The punishment should fit the crime. She made a complaint about an incident that happened a decade ago, he copped to it and apologized, she accepted it, and he's agreeing to and cooperating with an ethics investigation. The most he should be penalized is a censure and then let the voters of Minnesota decide in 2020 if they still want him around.

She's not pressing charges and there's been no other accusers (so far).

Now, if he was accused of inappropriate behavior while in office, that's a different story and any inappropriate behavior while in office would constitute an abuse of his position of authority. That would require him to resign (in my eyes). Or if he's accused by multiple credible women and shows a distinct pattern of abuse.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

boop the snoot posted:

I'll call for his resignation after the reds call for theirs. I'm tired of only seeing my guys face consequences. Sure, gently caress tribalism and all that, but I'm sick of seeing the dams fall on swords when they should be using those swords to chop of. ChiMo dick.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
To be honest I really don't know whether he should resign.

I think maybe he should? Because he's an elected official he should be setting a really good example. But then the bar has been set so low these days that maybe he shouldn't? I mean if he goes and the president is still in place well what does that even matter then?

I'm slightly inclined to let him stay, not because of what he did, but because he admitted it, apologized, but most importantly the lady accepted the apology. To me it implies that there was no threat there, no overt malice, just he did something gross and really fuckin' dumb and that's what she took it as.

But if he goes, well, poo poo. He's probably got a lot more good work in him, but them's the brakes I guess.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The republicans do not want to kick Franken out. That sets a precedent that if his behavior warrants that, what happens to the rest of those like Moore?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If we're gonna force out Franken for lesser, we need to be forcing out a lot of people for that much or more.

If we're not going to force out people for greater offenses than Franken's, then not sure why he should go either.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

KirbyKhan posted:

I'll call for his resignation after the reds call for theirs. I'm tired of only seeing my guys face consequences. Sure, gently caress tribalism and all that, but I'm sick of seeing the dams fall on swords when they should be using those swords to chop of. ChiMo dick.

This is the whataboutism that we poo poo on republicans for all the time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The democratic candidate for governor of Ohio. :wtc:

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/931583273800790016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:

Why would you do that?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

Any verification on the private plane deduction? Haven’t seen it pop up yet in the news and it seems like an easy thing to latch onto and highlight

I tried looking into it, but I think it's an exemption that's existed for a while.

https://qz.com/196369/why-buying-a-corporate-jet-pays-for-itself/

“Take private jets, for example, which have an IRS-specified useful life of five years, allowing firms to write off 70% of their cost within the first three years.”

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Can the nukes just fall already

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Handsome Ralph posted:

:lol:

Why would you do that?

Because it's 2017.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'd vote for him.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
So he apologized immediately at the time and once again when it came up. I am still not seeing a pattern of predatory behavior here to justify crucifixion.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

By slept with he means jerked off in the bathroom thinking about.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I'm waiting for the follow up post talking about his big dick

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
50 women over 50 years....what the gently caress bro. 50 women is like a year in college as an undergrad

Git ur numbers up

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

:females:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Sounds like your broke brained relatives are even worse at thinking than you thought, then

Yeah I found this out the hard way

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

So he apologized immediately at the time and once again when it came up. I am still not seeing a pattern of predatory behavior here to justify crucifixion.

This. The context of the joke was laid out too from the picture. I know of one picture I have where I did this to my friend at a range (a male). It is clearly meant to be humor but it falls flat. I would say this if it was Mitch McConnell in that same exact scenario (face expressions and all) if that apology followed.

It’s not us vs them. It’s us vs predatory sexual assaulters. The system far too often chews people up with sexual offenses that are undeserving. But because we witch hunt, we don’t recognize the repeat offenders from the “taken out of context/accident/one really bad mistake/whatever.” Example: my step-uncle was drinking and pissing outside. He passed out with his noodle out. His friends left him there, on the front lawn. Next morning a girl and her mother are walking to school, see his dangly bits, call the police. Before he died he had to register as a sex offender for “exposing himself to a minor.” He quit drinking after that because that was not him. There’s also the kid who played doctor with a mayors daughter and got slapped with sexual harassment charges at 4-5 years old and then served with a loving gag order to prevent them from talking about it. Another kid who was facing registration because he sat on another kid’s face and farted. loving kid stuff.

It’s us Vs Roy Moore.

I’ll be honest, I barely know who Al Fraken is (I know a senator, not where) so I’m saying this generally. She accepted his apology and he called an ethics inquiry on himself. He shouldn’t resign.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

This is the whataboutism that we poo poo on republicans for all the time.

No, not really. Whataboutism is trying to minimize or deflect criticism of your side by pointing to the failings of the other side. Nobody's doing that. Everybody accepts that what Franken did was wrong and he should face some kind of consequence for it. The question is what consequence is appropriate, and whether or not Moore faces any consequence for a far greater crime should factor into that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

No, not really. Whataboutism is trying to minimize or deflect criticism of your side by pointing to the failings of the other side. Nobody's doing that. Everybody accepts that what Franken did was wrong and he should face some kind of consequence for it. The question is what consequence is appropriate, and whether or not Moore faces any consequence for his actions should factor into that.

“I’ll call for his resignation after the other side calls for theirs” is the same thing as “what about the other side and what they did?”

You can try to justify it all you want but Franken should definitely lose his job. Moore deserves more consequences beyond losing his job, Franken doesn’t. But at the very least he should lose his job.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 17, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Franken should definitely lose his job.

No this is not definite. Especially when the victim herself said he shouldn't have to resign, and there have been no other similar stories so far.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

“I’ll call for his resignation after the other side calls for theirs” is the same thing as “what about the other side and what they did?”

You can try to justify it all you want but Franken should definitely lose his job. Moore deserves more consequences beyond losing his job, Franken doesn’t. But at the very least he should lose his job.

Still not seeing why a poorly thought out sketch and photo should lead to this. Please explain, what part of this offends you so much? I am trying to figure out where my disconnect is.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

No this is not definite. Especially when the victim herself said he shouldn't have to resign, and there have been no other similar stories so far.

Victims don’t dictate punishment for perpetrators and there’s a logical reason why they don’t. People shouldn’t get away with poo poo that is bad just because the victim said “nah we cool.”

Going forward would it be okay for a politician to pose in a picture like that and keep his job?

If yes, then yes. But I don’t agree.

If no, then the person who did it first should be treated like the person who would do it second.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They do dictate punishment by deciding to press charges or not.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

lightpole posted:

Still not seeing why a poorly thought out sketch and photo should lead to this. Please explain, what part of this offends you so much? I am trying to figure out where my disconnect is.

If you want to stop sexual assault then stop sexual assault. Joking around and miming sexual assault when a woman is sleeping isn’t in some “well lol... just boys being boys” category. It’s poo poo behavior and letting someone get away with it draws a line in the sand.

That line being “this is okay as long as you apologize and she says it’s okay, so you can take that risk!”

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

They do dictate punishment by deciding to press charges or not.

I said he doesn’t deserve charges but he definitely deserves to lose his job.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
https://twitter.com/DipswitchDan/status/931413204504334336

I've been seeing this info popping up in a few other places, but this thread seems to connect most of it. The metadata on the Franken photo that is being circulated shows the photo was taken a few days before when it was supposed to happen according to the reporters story. Could be a misremembered date, an improperly programmed camera or any number of other things.

The more interesting piece is that the metadata also includes the datetime stamp from when it was opened, possibly modified, and saved in photoshop, which happened to be 3 years later on the same date that Al Franken's opponent conceded the election.

All of this metadata can be manipulated, but it definitely seems pretty strange on it's face without further investigation.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If he deserves to lose his job then it's the responsibility of the senate ethics committee and the people who elected him in the first place.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Delizin posted:

https://twitter.com/DipswitchDan/status/931413204504334336

I've been seeing this info popping up in a few other places, but this thread seems to connect most of it. The metadata on the Franken photo that is being circulated shows the photo was taken a few days before when it was supposed to happen according to the reporters story. Could be a misremembered date, an improperly programmed camera or any number of other things.

The more interesting piece is that the metadata also includes the datetime stamp from when it was opened, possibly modified, and saved in photoshop, which happened to be 3 years later on the same date that Al Franken's opponent conceded the election.

All of this metadata can be manipulated, but it definitely seems pretty strange on it's face without further investigation.

If the EXIF data has been tampered with it absolutely is worth investigating.

Edit: if it’s a basic edit like color correction, fine. Talking photomanipulation corrections.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

If you want to stop sexual assault then stop sexual assault. Joking around and miming sexual assault when a woman is sleeping isn’t in some “well lol... just boys being boys” category. It’s poo poo behavior and letting someone get away with it draws a line in the sand.

That line being “this is okay as long as you apologize and she says it’s okay, so you can take that risk!”

You're acting as if the only two courses of action are "nothing" or "resign".

When we're talking about what punishment is appropriate, pointing to the precedent set by others is absolutely relevant. That's why this isn't whataboutism.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

You're acting as if the only two courses of action are "nothing" or "resign".

He shouldn’t have a job so yeah. If he still has a job then it might as well be “nothing.”

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If the GOP has been sitting on it they were probably saving it for his possible presidential run, but then the Moore stuff started coming out.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Roger Stone: "Just a color correction and brush up lighting. That's all. Swear. "

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

He shouldn’t have a job so yeah. If he still has a job then it might as well be “nothing.”

Except you're acting as if he wants to avoid responsibility for this mistakes. He's cooperating with an ethics investigation which could recommend possible punishments up to and including censure or explusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Thwomp posted:

Except you're acting as if he wants to avoid responsibility for this mistakes. He's cooperating with an ethics investigation which could recommend possible punishments up to and including censure or explusion.

Who cares? Cooperation doesn’t mean he should be able to keep his job.

This is a widespread issue in congress and with powerful people in general. Drop the loving hammer so it stops.

• Locked thread