Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I think it looks like garbage and also think the person is asking too much money :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I follow a kit car facebook group just for the horror factor

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KakerMix posted:

I think it looks like garbage and also think the person is asking too much money :colbert:

I like the fact it is a kit car WITH a missing title. I'm sure that scenario is easy to handle at the DMV. Actually I have a quick question now that I think about it, does the kit car assume the VIN of the donor vehicle or do they assign VINS?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
hmmmmmmmmmm

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/d/project-taurus-wagon-sho/6374844561.html

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Why would anyone want that as a project car?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

drat I miss my SHO. Had it chipped so it would rev to 8K. Quite an amazing engine for the time.

Was fairly easy to work on. You'd think yanking the bundle of snakes intake would be difficult but it was fairly simple. Yamaha did a hell of a job.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chaosfirev posted:

Why would anyone want that as a project car?

It's a manual transmission SHO wagon do you not know where you are?

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

KakerMix posted:

It's a manual transmission SHO wagon do you not know where you are?

Good point

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

My memory might be a bit fuzzy but I think on shotimes someone did a swap into a Mercury Sable.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Powershift posted:

It's not that exact kit, but there were probably 50 companies making a variation of the SSK/500k replica, and supplying parts to modify them further. There is no way this is anything but that.

Shamefully, none of them thought to document their products on the internet.

No I don't think its any kind of long-lost gem or a factory car. Its obviously some kind of kit or hand-made custom.
Its just bugging me because its clearly a hard top and no kits I can find ever sold hard tops. The front suspension is too old to be a kit either. It looks like '50s truck. Which again, I don't think they did kit cars for those either. The clutch-based fan, casually hanging out (rusted off?) in the grill is clearly a much newer engine component too.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 15, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

drat I miss my SHO. Had it chipped so it would rev to 8K. Quite an amazing engine for the time.

Was fairly easy to work on. You'd think yanking the bundle of snakes intake would be difficult but it was fairly simple. Yamaha did a hell of a job.

I saw one of these at the junkyard and contemplated pulling the intake just for garage art.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Tai-Pan posted:

No I don't think its any kind of long-lost gem or a factory car. Its obviously some kind of kit or hand-made custom.
Its just bugging me because its clearly a hard top and no kits I can find ever sold hard tops. The front suspension is too old to be a kit either. It looks like '50s truck. Which again, I don't think they did kit cars for those either. The clutch-based fan, casually hanging out (rusted off?) in the grill is clearly a much newer engine component too.

Pretty positive it's not a hard top and just has its carriage soft top up. Probably a strong reason why it has industrial grade trucking tarp over the top of it (to mitigate water ingress through the numerous hols in the canvas).

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Okay, $3900 for a running Rolls Royce? (But god only knows what a "tuneup" might require).

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/roll-royce/6325221101.html

Slap some beefy tires on that thing and it would be a blast.

Stop me before I do something awesome.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Tai-Pan posted:

Okay, $3900 for a running Rolls Royce? (But god only knows what a "tuneup" might require).

Be about it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Larrymer posted:

I saw one of these at the junkyard and contemplated pulling the intake just for garage art.

It was the John Holmes of manifolds for the time.

A common problem with the engine was the spark plug wells filling with oil (which most DOHC engine encounter.) But removal was simple compared to say the V6 in a '90s Mazda 626.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Tai-Pan posted:

Bet you won't...

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Bet you won't...

drat your reverse psychology.
I have too much client work as it is, and yet somehow now I have an appointment to drive down to San Antonio after Thanksgiving.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/lamborghini-diablo-replica-rolling-chassis/1313435671?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Imagine all the fun stuff you could stick back there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

I follow a kit car facebook group just for the horror factor

It's Baffling.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

Imagine all the fun stuff you could stick back there.

Like a railroad flare.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sadly someone did one with a Northstar.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I had to look up a real diablo to make sure that the wheel arch in this kit wasn't hosed up by accident. Somehow the diablo makes that weird curve look good.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think I should report someone to animal cruelty?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/cts-for-sale-runs-like/6390622716.html

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
No pictures, so screenshot is probably not necessary..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/laval-rive-nord/mazda-b-3000-2001-exproprio:-74-ans/1308271847?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

MAZDA B-3000 2001 (EXPROPRIO: 74 ANS!!)
$25,000.00

Description

MAZDA B-3000 2001, BLANC, MANUELLE, AIR CLIMATISÉ, 5 PASSAGERS, 4 PORTES, 267000 KM, MOTEUR DE 6 CYLINDRES, 3 LITRES, ESSUIE-GLACES INTERMITTENTS, RADIO-CD, TACHYMÈTRE, MAGS, APPUIE-BRAS, SIÈGES ARRIÈRES RABATTABLES, EXPROPRIO: 74 ANS!! 514-239-0905

**CERTIFICATION DU KILOMÉTRAGE PAR LA SAAQ.

DEALER AUTOMOBILES
514-239-0905

Translated:

MAZDA B-3000 2001, WHITE, MANUAL, AIR CONDITIONING, 5 PASSENGER, 4 DOORS, 267000 KM, 6 CYLINDERS, 3 LITERS, INTERMITTENT WIPER, RADIO-CD, TACHOMETER, MAGS, ARMRESTS, REAR SEATS , EXPROPRIO: 74 YEARS !! 514-239-0905

** CERTIFICATION OF MILEAGE BY THE SAAQ.

DEALER AUTOMOBILES
514-239-0905

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

No pictures, so screenshot is probably not necessary..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/laval-rive-nord/mazda-b-3000-2001-exproprio:-74-ans/1308271847?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

MAZDA B-3000 2001 (EXPROPRIO: 74 ANS!!)
$25,000.00

Description

MAZDA B-3000 2001, BLANC, MANUELLE, AIR CLIMATISÉ, 5 PASSAGERS, 4 PORTES, 267000 KM, MOTEUR DE 6 CYLINDRES, 3 LITRES, ESSUIE-GLACES INTERMITTENTS, RADIO-CD, TACHYMÈTRE, MAGS, APPUIE-BRAS, SIÈGES ARRIÈRES RABATTABLES, EXPROPRIO: 74 ANS!! 514-239-0905

**CERTIFICATION DU KILOMÉTRAGE PAR LA SAAQ.

DEALER AUTOMOBILES
514-239-0905

Translated:

MAZDA B-3000 2001, WHITE, MANUAL, AIR CONDITIONING, 5 PASSENGER, 4 DOORS, 267000 KM, 6 CYLINDERS, 3 LITERS, INTERMITTENT WIPER, RADIO-CD, TACHOMETER, MAGS, ARMRESTS, REAR SEATS , EXPROPRIO: 74 YEARS !! 514-239-0905

** CERTIFICATION OF MILEAGE BY THE SAAQ.

DEALER AUTOMOBILES
514-239-0905

I think that there might be an extra zero in that price.
What the poop is "EXPROPRIO: 74 YEARS !!" about?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The previous owner was a dinosaur so you just know the interior is going to be a mess.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

I think that there might be an extra zero in that price.
What the poop is "EXPROPRIO: 74 YEARS !!" about?

I think it's short for ex-proprietaire or, past owner. Probably trying to tell you it was sunday driven and being sold cos the guy is too old to drive it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

I think it's short for ex-proprietaire or, past owner. Probably trying to tell you it was sunday driven and being sold cos the guy is too old to drive it.

Ah, that would make sense. Not a term or phrasing I’ve ever seen for a used car ad.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/d/2005-porsche-cayenne/6395613578.html

I mean, would be a pretty awesome beater...

Part it out when it explodes?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It seems like older Cayennes can be hilariously good deals, if their reliability is to be believed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

It seems like older Cayennes can be hilariously good deals, if their reliability is to be believed.

The problem remains...you are buying a "premium" car at a fraction of the price. Yet the parts and labor remain the same to fix or maintain them.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Part of me thinks I could buy that up, sand off the headlight poo poo, detail the gently caress out of it, park it in front of a nice house in Greenwich CT, take some nice pics and sell it for 5-7 grand easy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

The problem remains...you are buying a "premium" car at a fraction of the price. Yet the parts and labor remain the same to fix or maintain them.

What is labor :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

To some degree. Just checking rockauto, for the 4.5 V8 model, you can get break pads with the wear sensor for $10. front rotors for $40. a water pump for $60, front half shafts for $60, a shock absorber conversion kit for $1500 to get rid of any weird factory stuff.

It's obviously going to be more expensive than a civic, but i would think the majority if it would be affordable if you aren't too picky about small stuff not working.

Voltage posted:

Part of me thinks I could buy that up, sand off the headlight poo poo, detail the gently caress out of it, park it in front of a nice house in Greenwich CT, take some nice pics and sell it for 5-7 grand easy.

You can see the hood through the headlight cover. Those might just be headlight covers without headlights behind them. You can also see a paint chip on top of the left headlight which is where you would put the screwdriver to pop the headlight out, which further supports this theory.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 21, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

You can see the hood through the headlight cover. Those might just be headlight covers without headlights behind them. You can also see a paint chip on top of the left headlight which is where you would put the screwdriver to pop the headlight out, which further supports this theory.

Oh, God, I think you're right. I forgot that was a thing.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Before I got the Macan, I had a Cayenne S from 06 with 178k on the clock. The thing ran beautifully, occasionally it would ask to be topped up with oil but other than that, it had no major complaints.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Oh, God, I think you're right. I forgot that was a thing.

A Cayenne would look rad as gently caress with 7" round sealed beams and Grote markers/signals though :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

OEM engine internals are the biggest scary parts with Porsches, and the NA V8 has a bit of a reputation for eating camshafts and taking the motor along with it.

That said, I wouldn't turn down a smoking deal on a Cayenne Turbo if I was even quasi in the market.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

A Cayenne would look rad as gently caress with 7" round sealed beams and Grote markers/signals though :getin:

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Here, lemme give you 7 grand for a car you don't own:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6361454998.html