Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Farmdizzle posted:

I just want to know which rear end in a top hat at GM decided that reverse lights should be tied to dome lights, or be lit in any gear other than reverse. Can't count the number of times I've waited for someone to back out of a parking space only to see them walk away from their car instead. :argh:

I've never noticed this in any car. When I park my car (a manual) I put it in gear in case the parking brake fails as a second line of defense to keep my car from rolling away. I always use first but I've heard mention of people using reverse instead. This seems more likely than linking the dome lights to the reverse lights.

Edit; I do sometimes use reverse when my car is parked facing downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Farmdizzle posted:

I just want to know which rear end in a top hat at GM decided that reverse lights should be tied to dome lights, or be lit in any gear other than reverse. Can't count the number of times I've waited for someone to back out of a parking space only to see them walk away from their car instead. :argh:

I was behind an older (late-nineties) Lexus of some flavor the other day that had managed to wire their reverse lights to the brake light switch. Good comedy.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

GutBomb posted:

I've never noticed this in any car. When I park my car (a manual) I put it in gear in case the parking brake fails as a second line of defense to keep my car from rolling away. I always use first but I've heard mention of people using reverse instead. This seems more likely than linking the dome lights to the reverse lights.

I think you're supposed to have it in the forward facing gear. First when facing downhill, reverse when facing uphill. It's so the car is putting the appropriate tension on the timing.

Or something. It probably doesn't matter so much.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GutBomb posted:

My mom had a couple Bonnevilles and I'll confirm that the reverse lights come on when you hit the unlock button on the keys. It's definitely a thing and it's stupid.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Farmdizzle posted:

I just want to know which rear end in a top hat at GM decided

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Finger Prince posted:

Back in the days before auto lights and all that fancy stuff I just turned my lights on whenever I got in the car, and only turned them off when I got out (on account of lights being stupid in those days, and remaining on after shutting off the car). I don't know why you wouldn't. Save electrons?

Especially given that LED a) work forever and b) use bugger-all power, there's not reason not to hardwire your lights into the ignition key.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Farmdizzle posted:

Yeah the perimeter lights on the newer trucks are a really bad idea.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Farmdizzle posted:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My mom had a couple Bonnevilles and I'll confirm that the reverse lights come on when you hit the unlock button on the keys. It's definitely a thing and it's stupid.

Yeah, that's a GM keyless entry thing of late. I hate it. Just turn the park lights on, you twits.

MrYenko posted:

I was behind an older (late-nineties) Lexus of some flavor the other day that had managed to wire their reverse lights to the brake light switch. Good comedy.

They most likely accidentally switched the sockets when checking/changing bulbs. I discovered on my Crown Vic that all the 3156/57 sockets on it use the same keying.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Finger Prince posted:

Back in the days before auto lights and all that fancy stuff I just turned my lights on whenever I got in the car, and only turned them off when I got out (on account of lights being stupid in those days, and remaining on after shutting off the car). I don't know why you wouldn't. Save electrons?

I have pop up headlights whose motors are essentially timebombs so I try to use them as infrequently as possible.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dave Inc. posted:

I think you're supposed to have it in the forward facing gear. First when facing downhill, reverse when facing uphill. It's so the car is putting the appropriate tension on the timing.

Or something. It probably doesn't matter so much.

I always thought it was reverse facing downhill, First facing uphill.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wesleywillis posted:

this is correct

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

They most likely accidentally switched the sockets when checking/changing bulbs. I discovered on my Crown Vic that all the 3156/57 sockets on it use the same keying.

No no, the brakelights worked fine, the reverse lights just ALSO came on when he braked. It was gently caress-wired.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

sneakyfrog posted:

this is correct

gently caress yeah, Validation from a random internet guy :smuggo:

2019 Dodge ram spy shots. I'm sure that once it goes in to production, the tailgate will line up for at least a few weeks.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 17, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So they cover up all the parts of the truck that never change, and leave the hot new revolutionary feature out in the open?

What a bunch of maroons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

So they cover up all the parts of the truck that never change, and leave the hot new revolutionary feature out in the open?

What a bunch of maroons.

They haven't put on the RAM badging yet, which is rumoured to be even bigger than the previous generation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably haven't figured out whether to put the A or the M along the seam. Or try to space the letters so none of them overlap it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

They probably haven't figured out whether to put the A or the M along the seam. Or try to space the letters so none of them overlap it.

The R will now double as a generic valtrex dispenser, and the M dispenses roofies. The manual refers to this as the "Tailgate Party" feature.

You'd think that this would be unintuitive, but all Ram owners are illiterate.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What about the A? Poop?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

The entire tailgate is just a section of skeletonized sandwich of plastic and sheet metal that spells RAM

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Trying to wrap my head around the benefit of a split tailgate. I mean, it's going to need just as much room behind it to open it.

Also, pretty sure the kiosk cell phone wrap place in the mall has that same dazzle pattern :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Maybe it’s like the Buick wagon tailgates of old and it can flip or swing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My parent's 84 Caprice station wagon had the same tailgate as the "innovative" Honda ridgeline tailgate. I can see its purpose though. Drop it like a tail gate for long poo poo, tailgate parties, etc, or open it like a normal door so that we could pile in the very back seat.

But this? Or the one on the ridgeline for that matter?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

What about the A? Poop?

Too many sharp edges for the average Ram owner to safely operate without their court-appointed handler's supervision. It's recessed into the tailgate.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

wesleywillis posted:

This will spin the engine backwards though if it does roll for whatever reason. Which is never the best idea.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So I can stuff a motorcycle / dirtbike into it without having to leave the whole tailgate down :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

StormDrain posted:

Maybe it’s like the Buick wagon tailgates of old and it can flip or swing.

There's some patent drawings out there that show it does flip or swing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make the flip a flip off the rear end in a top hat behind me and I'm in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wesleywillis posted:

2019 Dodge ram spy shots. I'm sure that once it goes in to production, the tailgate will line up for at least a few weeks.

Just emulating Tesla

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Memento posted:

:randstare:

Apparently this GT86 clutch had 298 miles on it.

Not 298k. 298 miles.

I wonder what my 250k mile Toy-Auto clutch looks like.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Terrible car stuff is trying to keep a black car clean.

Not sure why I bother to be honest.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think the problem is the cat, not the color.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

So I can stuff a motorcycle / dirtbike into it without having to leave the whole tailgate down :v:

I wonder how strong that would be, if say, you had "half" (or 60 or 40%) of the tail gate down?
What about an ATV? Putting ramps on that poo poo might be sketchy as gently caress.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 17, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Terrible car stuff is trying to keep a black car clean.

Not sure why I bother to be honest.

try metalflake white friend. I miss my black car :smithfrog:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dave Inc. posted:

This will spin the engine backwards though if it does roll for whatever reason. Which is never the best idea.

I suspect, that might be the point? I don't know for sure. Maybe its harder to turn an engine backwards? = Less chance of rolling if the parking brake fails and the engine is so worn that compression is minim....... gently caress I don't know, thats just what I've read/been told.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They haven't put on the RAM badging yet, which is rumoured to be even bigger than the previous generation.

I hate the current special version that has the giant fuckoff letters in the grille and tailgate. It's beyond tacky.

wesleywillis posted:

My parent's 84 Caprice station wagon had the same tailgate as the "innovative" Honda ridgeline tailgate. I can see its purpose though. Drop it like a tail gate for long poo poo, tailgate parties, etc, or open it like a normal door so that we could pile in the very back seat.

But this? Or the one on the ridgeline for that matter?

This. I'm just not seeing the purpose to the feature.

BlackMK4 posted:

No, just 2/3 of it, since the wheel house will be in the way of putting it to the side where the short door is.

edit: probably relevant:

https://blog.caranddriver.com/swinging-every-way-ram-patents-split-door-tailgate-that-opens-multiple-ways/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 17, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

No, just 2/3 of it, since the wheel house will be in the way of putting it to the side where the short door is.

gently caress, you're right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the conclusion is that now they need to divide the tailgate into three separate doors, and the middle one has hinges on both edges so you can choose which direction it opens up. The locking/unlocking mechanism will never have any issues because they're certainly get it right the first time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Found while digging up the patent on the bisexual-folding tailgate:

https://blog.caranddriver.com/ram-patents-retractable-pickup-truck-bed-ramps/

That's actually a pretty cool feature, if it's ever implemented.

edit: added picture.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 17, 2017

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I suspect, that might be the point? I don't know for sure. Maybe its harder to turn an engine backwards? = Less chance of rolling if the parking brake fails and the engine is so worn that compression is minim....... gently caress I don't know, thats just what I've read/been told.

an engine spinning backwards has less compression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I don't think it's any harder to turn the engine backwards than forwards -- you're still working against the same volume of air being compressed in the same number of cylinders. Depending on valve overlap the compression might be slightly lower, in fact. The idea that backwards is harder because it's "wrong" is just a myth.

The problem with turning the engine backwards is that, while the crankshaft can probably turn fine either way, the valvegear is very much not designed to go backwards in most modern engines. The lobes on the cams may not be ramped correctly, and the timing system might be designed to only experience tension going in one direction.

Fun fact though: some diesel engines with electric fuel pumps and symmetrical valvetrains can run equally well in reverse, except that air gets sucked in the exhaust pipe and exhausted out the intake, which is spectacular to watch but real bad for everything that is not the engine itself