Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's now to the point where I hear about an upcoming TV/movie project that interests me and instantly I think "cool, until it gets cancelled because one of the principles is a pathological lech"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So who's everyone's worst case scenario for an actor/actress who gets revealed as a predatory shithead? I HIGHLY doubt it's going to happen because he's a legitimately good guy by all accounts but I would be crushed if someone came forward accusing Donald Glover.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mr. Rogers

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lelandjs posted:

So who's everyone's worst case scenario for an actor/actress who gets revealed as a predatory shithead? I HIGHLY doubt it's going to happen because he's a legitimately good guy by all accounts but I would be crushed if someone came forward accusing Donald Glover.

Keanu Reeves has come up as an answer for this a lot and I agree. Everything I've heard about him shows he's a good dude without an ego, so it'd suck if it came out that he was a shithead.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Neil Patrick Harris.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Robin WIlliams.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tony Head, don't you dare take Giles from me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah, that would be bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man, you know superhero TV has come off the boil when not a single person in Couch Chat has mentioned if the Punisher is good or not

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wouldn't use this thread as a barometer for uh anything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm on episode 5 and it's really good so far. :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/931520165640056833

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rarity posted:

Man, you know superhero TV has come off the boil when not a single person in Couch Chat has mentioned if the Punisher is good or not

I'm just not interested in the Punisher. I'm friends with a local cop and he told me they had a record number of day off requests for today and it's just to binge the show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, that's pretty gross!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't complete my train of thought.

I lost a friend to gun violence at the beginning of the year and have pretty much lost all interest in the shooty-shooty bang-bang genre since then. I loved John Wick when it came out but have yet to watch the sequel or any other film that revolves around gun violence. So the Punisher holds no interest for me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I didn't complete my train of thought.

I lost a friend to gun violence at the beginning of the year and have pretty much lost all interest in the shooty-shooty bang-bang genre since then. I loved John Wick when it came out but have yet to watch the sequel or any other film that revolves around gun violence. So the Punisher holds no interest for me.

gently caress, that sucks. I'm sorry for your loss.

It's nowhere name the same level as your issue, but I have a really hard time watching war dramas because of the fact that they're based on real events where people, real people, actually died freaks me the gently caress out. I nearly walked out of Dunkirk during the sinking ship scene.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Future Man is great guys. It's a got a real funny and mean edge you don't see in comedy anymore.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, the cop thing got so dark, then so funny, then dark again, then funny again, then kinda sweet, that character was really well balanced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lelandjs posted:

gently caress, that sucks. I'm sorry for your loss.

It's nowhere name the same level as your issue, but I have a really hard time watching war dramas because of the fact that they're based on real events where people, real people, actually died freaks me the gently caress out. I nearly walked out of Dunkirk during the sinking ship scene.

That's totally understandable.

If you were to go back to my posts from Jan-March of this year I was being a huge loving rear end in a top hat (more than usual) because I wasn't processing what had happened.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arist posted:

I'm on my phone so pretend I posted any of the articles about cops being forced to remove Punisher decorations from their cars.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Calaveron posted:

Welp, Jeffrey Tambor's turn, so much for arrested development s5

They kept telling him "No Touching," and yet...

Decius posted:

I think I found it. Trace Lysette? Reading her account is pretty disgusting, I hoped better of him. Man, I always thought the stuff you read about celebrities on Crazy Days & Nights for 80 % exaggerations, but lately it looks more like 80 % truth.

Everyone you admire is actually a monster. Once you come to terms with that, it softens the blow when the poo poo actually comes out about them.

lelandjs posted:

I don't know if I'd call it worst-case, but has anything come out about John Goodman yet?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arist posted:

Punisher is a huge draw to fascists, always has been. Like in an even more naked way than Iron Man is a love letter to the military industrial complex and wealth being synonymous with morality.

Some of our superheroes are mad hosed up.

I'll probably still watch Punisher though, he was the best part of Daredevil S2.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rarity posted:

I wouldn't even have known it was out today if someone didn't mention it on Facebook. I've been watching a lot of Netflix lately and I haven't seen a single thing about it on there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Punisher theme song definitely comes from that one Portlandia sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GikVQXvf0

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I watched the first episode and it's disgusting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

I wouldn't even have known it was out today if someone didn't mention it on Facebook. I've been watching a lot of Netflix lately and I haven't seen a single thing about it on there.

Netflix probably realizes that it isn't exactly the best show to advertise right now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Ok I watched the first episode and it's disgusting.

How so?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Punisher is a huge draw to fascists, always has been. Like in an even more naked way than Iron Man is a love letter to the military industrial complex and wealth being synonymous with morality.

Some of our superheroes are mad hosed up.

I'll probably still watch Punisher though, he was the best part of Daredevil S2.

My favorite thing about Punisher is that a lot of people who like more family friendly super-heroes immediately parse Punisher as fascist and gross, but don't see how basically all superheroes are just as bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh god it's time to have the CineD "superheroes are fascist" argument

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
See also how Stephen King's Carrie would be received differently if she used a gun instead of magical powers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snak posted:

See also how Stephen King's Carrie would be received differently if she used a gun instead of magical powers.

Yes. She'd be the sympathetic villain in a horror movie.

I agree with your comic book point but don't think this is a good example. No one thinks Carrie is a hero.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes. She'd be the sympathetic villain in a horror movie.

I agree with your comic book point but don't think this is a good example. No one thinks Carrie is a hero.

Tons of people do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arist posted:

Oh god it's time to have the CineD "superheroes are fascist" argument

I didn't mean to start anything stupid.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

How so?

~*toxic masculinity*~

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm just hoping that most of the reviews are reacting to the show and not to the kinds of people the reviewer thinks would like the show for the wrong reasons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

~*toxic masculinity*~

My review of Titanic: A boat sinks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I saw someone a few months ago wearing a shirt with a Punisher skull overlaid with one of those "blue lives matter" flags
I wasn't sure whether he didn't understand the point of the Punisher at all, or if he understood it perfectly well

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Future Man was so loving hilarious. The evolution of Wolf may be one of my favorite things I've ever seen on television.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 17, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just watched the first episode of Future Man and holy hell, who knew that Peeta Mellark had a personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

raditts posted:

I saw someone a few months ago wearing a shirt with a Punisher skull overlaid with one of those "blue lives matter" flags
I wasn't sure whether he didn't understand the point of the Punisher at all, or if he understood it perfectly well

I doubt it was specifically the punisher. There's TONS of skull imagery that looks really dang close. The most popular one I see is a skull with the american flag overlaid on it. I don't really get the obsession with skulls to symbolize patriotism but drat if the extreme right doesn't love it.

• Locked thread