Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Also on ETSU, a cousin of mine played football for them in the early 90s. I used to have an old ETSU Bucs shirt from when he played there. When did they start playing ball again?

I just looked and they didn’t have football from 2003 to 2014. It came back in 2015, and they built an outdoor field.

That said they will always be a basketball school to me. In the early 90’s they actually won a NCAA tournament game against Arizona.

Oh the Vol Nation crazy spin is that things were moving too fast and they wanted to slow things down in the press. Makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ehud posted:

yeah today I woke up and now I think it's a good idea

Yeah get on the Chip Train, don't be a b1tch.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

an adult beverage posted:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think there are plausible contrarian takes to be made that Chip Kelly could end up not being great, but at the end of the day I think you'd be crazy not to take him if he's available.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has anybody pointed out that Kansas has a sizable first degree transitive loss to Turner Gill?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tbh most of their losses can probably be credited to turner gill

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Turner Gill was really lucky that Weis was so theatrically bad that everybody largely forgot how badly and quickly the program tanked under his watch in the first place.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Weis tumbled down the proverbial flight of stairs for years and years, rolling end over end from landing to landing.

Ralker
Sep 2, 2008
Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

-me as an Eagles fan about five years ago

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ralker posted:

"I want to get off Mr Kelly's wild ride"

-Eagle's fans, circa 2015, probably

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ralker posted:

can’t believe Bama hired that crappy dolphins coach what a bunch of suckers

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I want Kiffin

https://twitter.com/lane_kiffin/status/931540865318838272

Ralker
Sep 2, 2008
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

can’t believe Bama hired that crappy dolphins coach what a bunch of suckers

I think Chip could be a good college coach again, if he actually practiced what he preached. I remember him making a big deal about how his scheme would adapt to his players and emphasize their strengths and then used the same offensive scheme with Nick Foles and Demarco Murray as with Mike Vick and Lesean McCoy.

Hopefully he does coach Florida because you don’t have to be this amazing recruiter there to get talent and the college game rules are set up better to allow the hurry-up.

I liked him at Oregon but I have no idea what happened in Philly that made him think he could just do whatever game plan he wanted with whatever random players he could acquire. On the bright side his lovely NFL years were still like 8 win seasons.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The little boy is becoming the Day Man before our very eyes

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Chip would have to show some nuts-and-bolts give-a-poo poo for him to really work out at Florida.

- Would he invest more energy into crootin? You'd think UF would sell itself, but McElwain's classes sucked.
- Would he invest more energy into updating his scheme? His Xs and Os were solvable shrugs toward the end there in SF.
- Would he invest more mental energy/delegate better w/r/t talent evaluation? Because the choices he made in Philly were baaaaad.

I think he'd be a fine enough hire and Florida would contend for East titles with him, but I dunno about more than that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I do kinda want the 🕷 ✌️ Y 🍌 Tshirt I saw

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Kiffin’s Twitter keeps getting better and better. He just tweeted that he is coming back to Knoxville as Gruden’s GA.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ralker posted:

I think Chip could be a good college coach again, if he actually practiced what he preached. I remember him making a big deal about how his scheme would adapt to his players and emphasize their strengths and then used the same offensive scheme with Nick Foles and Demarco Murray as with Mike Vick and Lesean McCoy.

Hopefully he does coach Florida because you don’t have to be this amazing recruiter there to get talent and the college game rules are set up better to allow the hurry-up.

I liked him at Oregon but I have no idea what happened in Philly that made him think he could just do whatever game plan he wanted with whatever random players he could acquire. On the bright side his lovely NFL years were still like 8 win seasons.
In Philly he did fine, they had two 10-win seasons before the wheels fell off because Chip thought he was a good NFL personnel guy (turns out, he wasn't), and when he went to the Niners for that year, they were a roster pretty much barren of talent.

I don't think his NFL record is as awful as people say (his offenses those two successful years were pretty good), and I don't think it indicates anything about his ability to coach college.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Was it you guys that Tomlin was briefly rumored to go to?

I remember this Mike Tomlin thing that made no sense and I can't remember where he was supposed to go.

Yeah I'm fairly sure it was us. Every name in football was brought up at some point, I saw fans earnestly talking about taking a stab at Belichek. Cowher was also a popular name at the time. Sean Payton as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I don't think his NFL record is as awful as people say (his offenses those two successful years were pretty good), and I don't think it indicates anything about his ability to coach college.

Yeah at this point, being head coach in the NFL vs head coach in college are just two entirely different universes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
if only we had some evidence of how chip kelly could handle being a college coach

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think people forget how good Oregon was when he was there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Chip Kelly in 4 years as Oregon’s head coach: 4 seasons with at least 10 wins, 3 seasons with 12 wins, 4 BCS bowl appearances, 2 BCS Bowl wins, 1 NCG appearance (that they would have won were it not for that fluke Dyer run), 3 conference titles, 3 Top 5 finishes (they were 11th in the other season), 3 total conference losses

That is about as good a 4 year run as you will find with any modern coach not named Saban, Meyer, Stoops, or Carroll. The NFL didn’t work out, but he did not become the hottest NFL coaching prospect by accident.

E: and this isn’t even including the 07 and 08 teams that were awesome mostly on the strength of his offense or the two years after he left where they added another NCG appearance running his offense with a QB he recruited and developed

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 17, 2017

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

MourningView posted:

Chip Kelly in 4 years as Oregon’s head coach: 4 seasons with at least 10 wins, 3 seasons with 12 wins, 4 BCS bowl appearances, 2 BCS Bowl wins, 1 NCG appearance (that they would have won were it not for that fluke Dyer run), 3 conference titles, 3 Top 5 finishes (they were 11th in the other season), 3 total conference losses

That is about as good a 4 year run as you will find with any modern coach not named Saban, Meyer, Stoops, or Carroll. The NFL didn’t work out, but he did not become the hottest NFL coaching prospect by accident.

Plus he left enough in the cupboard that Helfrich had to engineer his own downfall.

E: Yeah, what you said in your E.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
We all know Scott Frost was the real man behind the man, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the argument being made is that Oregon was in much better shape when he got there than Florida is now. I think Chip Kelly is as close to a sure thing as you're going to find, but it's true that he came into a very good situation at Oregon and had a few years as OC to get himself oriented before taking over, so it's still yet to be seen what him taking over a bad team is going to look like.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oregon had never consistently been that good before. They were very up and down under Bellotti and had one Top 25 season in the 5 years before Chip arrived as OC. It’s not like he took over Ohio State or something

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 17, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I didn't :swoon:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People’s perception of what Oregon football has historically been is super warped now, mostly because of Chip Kelly

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

People’s perception of what Oregon football has historically been is super warped now, mostly because of Chip Kelly

Phil Knight pumping fuckloads of money helped, but yeah, I can't even remember Oregon before the Chip Kelly years.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess in my brain the Harrington years lead directly into the Dennis Dixon years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rich Brooks had a below .500 record overall and they let him coach for 17 goddamn years. And people were so impressed that he managed to have just one genuinely good year there that he immediately got an NFL job out of it

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

D.N. Nation posted:

Chip would have to show some nuts-and-bolts give-a-poo poo for him to really work out at Florida.

- Would he invest more energy into crootin? You'd think UF would sell itself, but McElwain's classes sucked.
- Would he invest more energy into updating his scheme? His Xs and Os were solvable shrugs toward the end there in SF.
- Would he invest more mental energy/delegate better w/r/t talent evaluation? Because the choices he made in Philly were baaaaad.

I think he'd be a fine enough hire and Florida would contend for East titles with him, but I dunno about more than that.

I would want a good recruiting staff but McElwain's bad classes are better than Oregon's best classes, Macs classes were bad in the relative sense that half of UF's schedule recruits better than everyone in the Pac 12 not named USC.

As far as scheme I don't think Xs and Os are the problem, I would maybe be worried about an overemphasis on running vs. passing though. The great college offenses don't really trick teams with Xs and Os, they execute in a context where if the offense does it's job the defense is going to be wrong no matter what.

Talent evaluation is a legitimate concern given what happened in Philly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think a lot of the issues he had in the NFL can be fixed just because it’s way more viable to run your QB a lot in college for a variety of reason

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Talent evaluation is a legitimate concern given what happened in Philly.
An NFL roster is way different from a college roster. The players he recruited and developed at Oregon went to a national championship game and won a Heisman two years later; he's surely responsible for a good deal of that roster. We have no evidence that Kelly is actually bad at talent evaluation, just at NFL roster management.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2007 Oregon would've played for the title had Dixon not gotten hurt.

But I'm splitting hairs. Kelly would be a fine hire for Florida.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's a season without a slam-dunk hire. Kelly and Frost seem to be the best options out there. They might not be 2005 Meyer or 2007 Saban, but most coaches aren't.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

It's a season without a slam-dunk hire. Kelly and Frost seem to be the best options out there. They might not be 2005 Meyer or 2007 Saban, but most coaches aren't.
Kelly is about as close as it gets, frankly.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Kelly is about as close as it gets, frankly.

Yeah, Kelly in college is definitely a slam dunk. If he were to fail at Florida it would be v surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chip will be fine evaluating talent in college, just like the last time he evaluated talent in college.

• Locked thread