Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Awful alongside all the Unstable art.

how can you not like the most generic fantasy artwork imaginable???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Pretty sure you're still not allowed to read notes you brought in a game of Magic.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

To all the people who are saying "all you need is $X_KEYWORD, ai haven't read the article, but my understanding is if you don't name a new ability from one named before he loses all the abilities anyway.

So you really do need the full list of them all, and might want to divide them into groups that work well together, for different games.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

Pretty sure you're still not allowed to read notes you brought in a game of Magic.

Then at the start of every match, call a judge and ask to copy a list of each keyword from the comp rules.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mehall posted:

To all the people who are saying "all you need is $X_KEYWORD, ai haven't read the article, but my understanding is if you don't name a new ability from one named before he loses all the abilities anyway.

So you really do need the full list of them all, and might want to divide them into groups that work well together, for different games.

lol

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Just know every keyword offhand, it's not hard. Christ, making mountains out of molehills.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
please have fun and don't bring elaborate notes

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How do I fun

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

mountains out of molehills.

Has this been an un-card yet?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cactrot posted:

yeah spike was already revealed a few days ago

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

How do I fun

Don't play Magic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

How do I fun

Be really fuckin :goonsay: about the use of one rare in a comedy joke set, apparently.

E: Apparently, be really concerned about this one rare while simultaneously being unable to remember that Double Strike is a good keyword kind of in general unless you have a post-it attached to the back of your hand.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 17, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

E: Apparently, be really concerned about this one rare while simultaneously being unable to remember that Double Strike is a good keyword kind of in general unless you have a post-it attached to the back of your hand.

For me it would be less about needing to remember the marquee keywords and more about needing to remember all the dumb garbage poo poo to avoid losing/wasting the good keywords

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

How do I fun

Win.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You'll need a checklist anyway to monitor which keywords are expended; or a judge monitoring every game with said checklist. Or an eidetic memory and incorruptible sense of fair play I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The sanctity of an unstable draft is besmirched if you write down keywords before your match.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

For me it would be less about needing to remember the marquee keywords and more about needing to remember all the dumb garbage poo poo to avoid losing/wasting the good keywords

It's a 7-cost 3/3 rare, how are you playing it so often and having it get keywords so frequently that this is a real concern?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

incorruptible sense of fair play

Conspiracy has those secret agenda cards. I think they can rely on people to not be huge shitheads for minor advantages.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Elyv posted:

How do I fun

Here is how you un-fun:

Hot take: Unstable seems like boring gimmicky poo poo and I get the appeal everyone has towards it, but to me (who cares ) I look at it and just go "Meh, bring on Rivals and Dominaria"

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 17, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dominaria's Masterpiece set should be (but won't be) "technically not renamed functional reprints of the reserved list" cards from ABU. Dual lands--but without the subtype so not fetchable. Black Lotus but your opponent gets to Scry 1. Anscestral, Twister and Walk but they exile themselves when they resolve. Etc.

E: give them all "your deck may only contain one card name either Black Lotus or Refracting Lotus" or w/e to keep them restricted.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 17, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't wait for a rules argument to bust out during an unstable draft event with unstable packs (not redeemable for store credit) on the line. Further, I look forward to the story of someone cheating in said event

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Here is how you un-fun:

Hot take: Unstable seems like boring gimmicky poo poo and I get the appeal everyone has towards it, but to me (who cares ) I look at it and just go "Meh, bring on Rivals and Dominaria"

that's not quite a hot take as it is a wrong take

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Dominaria's Masterpiece set should be (but won't be) "technically not renamed functional reprints of the reserved list" cards from ABU. Dual lands--but without the subtype so not fetchable. Black Lotus but your opponent gets to Scry 1. Anscestral, Twister and Walk but they exile themselves when they resolve. Etc.

vintage would love it because they get to double their broken cards

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Creature - Vampyre

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

Creature - Vampyre

Damnit, I wanted to sneak him into Vampiric Bloodlust, but he's not the correct tribe type. :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Elyv posted:

Creature - Vampyre

Two half squirrel hal- whatever's, one attached to ordinary pony and one attached to whatever you want, go infinite

E plus a third creature to bounce

E2 if the third creature is slaying mantis, oh boy

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 17, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

vintage would love it because they get to double their broken cards

It would be sloppy but you could just have "Your deck may contain only one card named either 'Time Twister' or 'Time-nado'" in the rules text.

Of course I'm just cloud talking. Dominaria is a cool plane where I spent my teen years so looking forward to coming back. :v:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/931580196225978369

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

President Ark posted:

Two half squirrel hal- whatever's, one attached to ordinary pony and one attached to whatever you want, go infinite

Or, rather than assemble the combo twice, any etb effect.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Edit wrong thread

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Elyv posted:

Creature - Vampyre

Just thought of this, but can you augment one of your opponent's creatures? I don't see why not.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Necronomicon posted:

Just thought of this, but can you augment one of your opponent's creatures? I don't see why not.

It just says "target host", not "target host you control", so I imagine so.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this card is probably better than Trusty Machete, it's good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

this card is probably better than Trusty Machete, it's good

I mean, it's a "strictly better" Trusty Machete. :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean, it's a "strictly better" Trusty Machete. :v:

it's not strictly better because there are positive dice rolling cards in this set

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

making mountains out of molehills.

Cactrot posted:

No, but we have a card that makes molehills out of mountains

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

President Ark posted:

Yup. Was waiting for this front half. Two cards, 4 mana, infinite flicker engine for any other creature, triggering whenever a creature enters the battlefield on either side. Common and uncommon. But there's limited things to combo with it so far - besides Slaying Mantis you can get infinite life with Adorable Kitten or all your contraptions with Steamflogger of the Month and one contraption already in play. Mer Man can draw an arbitrary number of cards every time you play a creature. Infinitely big Jackknight is possible with an artifact creature, and Labro Bot can serve that purpose while helping to make the combo more resilient. It can get both pieces back from the GY with Ordinary Pony's ETB effect. If you are lucky enough to get Dr. Julius Jumblemorph he assembles the combo by himself. Half-Squirrel, Half-Pony is looking like it could be one of the strongest draft archetypes, hopefully a couple more g/w/a creatures with solid citp abilities are in the set.

This is the best set.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 17, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a 7-cost 3/3 rare, how are you playing it so often and having it get keywords so frequently that this is a real concern?
I mean it's probably the strongest limited card in the set and it goes in any deck so you'll play it a fair amount.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiracy has those secret agenda cards. I think they can rely on people to not be huge shitheads for minor advantages.

After your opponent's second cast spell it's essentially unkillable and I assume they'll cast more spells after that?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

After your opponent's second cast spell it's essentially unkillable and I assume they'll cast more spells after that?

What even gets around Hexproof and Indestructable? "Exile All" effects, like Descend Upon the Sinful and Settle the Wreckage? Other than that??

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The cards aren't really funny as jokes the way Unglued's were, but this set looks awesome to play and my only regret is that these mechanics aren't in black-border-land.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

What even gets around Hexproof and Indestructable? "Exile All" effects, like Descend Upon the Sinful and Settle the Wreckage? Other than that??

"Bounce all" effects work too, especially for a card like this that can't just regain those keywords when it's cast again. You can also use a wrath followed by an edict. Alternatively, dealing 20 damage to its controller tends to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

cards like Mutilate, Terminus, Cyclonic Rift, Final Judgment, All is Dust

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 17, 2017