Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mine would have to be Fuji before they demolished that psychotic banked turn. The USAC cars went there (as well as Japanese F2000 cars) but F1 arrived after the first remodel. Sugo is nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When you design your dream track can you make it so there is tarmac bordered by white lines, then kerbs, then either a gravel run off or a wall.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lovely video but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQdzS1WmhCg

Totally legitimate overtaking attempt from Loris here.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Harada's body language after the fact...

I can't find the video now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

If not for that crash he would have finished first in a team of him, Loris Capirossi, and Valentino Rossi. Harada was really good.

e) I also love the 2001 250cc season where he plays the role of the old veteran challenging Daijiro Kato. What a loss Kato was.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is a mural/shrine to Kato near Suzuka's main straight.

I feel that Japan should have produced a champion rider/driver by now but for whatever reason it hasn't. Not sure what the issue is.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
FR3.5 is dead. RIP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I sometimes firmly believe that 90s 250cc was the actual peak of grand prix motorcycle racing. There were a few years (especially like 96-97) where people were more into the 250s than 500cc.

One of my least favorite things Dorna have done with MotoGP is explicitly make Moto2/Moto3 feeder series to MotoGP. The small bikes shouldn't be feeder bikes, they should be like weight classes in boxing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I can't find the video now.

Notably the Aprilla garage was visibly pissed off despite winning the race and title and IIRC nobody from the garage went out to the podium to celebrate the title with Capirossi.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

One of my least favorite things Dorna have done with MotoGP is explicitly make Moto2/Moto3 feeder series to MotoGP. The small bikes shouldn't be feeder bikes, they should be like weight classes in boxing.

Ya I'm not really a fan of them forcing this and it's pretty clear that it doesn't work because all the classes have fairly distinct and separate characteristics. It'd be much better off being billed as different types of racing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

FR3.5 is dead. RIP.

It's been sucking air since 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Human Grand Prix posted:

FR3.5 is dead. RIP.
It's been dead since 2015, really, they just took a couple of years to finally put it out of its misery.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Notably the Aprilla garage was visibly pissed off despite winning the race and title and IIRC nobody from the garage went out to the podium to celebrate the title with Capirossi.

Lol yeah the garage guys were not happy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

poty posted:

Wow, mods? Check out this post, I think it's funny. You're welcome, mods.

No, thank YOU

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Wirth1000 posted:

lmao @ turkey. The Turkish Grand Prix track sucked loving hard. Everyone raves about that one turn but the rest of it is garbage.

Yeah, turn 8 is the only good and memorable part of that track, the rest of it is like one of those fantasy fan-made "ultimate F1 tracks" that consist entirely of great corners from tracks all over the world strung together, because that is exactly what Hermann Tilke did. I seem to remember approximations of the Senna esses from Interlagos, both Curva Grande and Parbolica, and Eau Rouge being included in the layout. As if you can laser scan and construct reproductions of those corners anywhere and expect them to retain the same magic they posess in their original setting (hint: that magic comes as much from the context of the track as it does from the physical tarmac).

Human Grand Prix posted:

They built a stadium over it.

I remember that happening, was that in the run up to the World Cup or the Olympics?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Human Grand Prix posted:

FR3.5 is dead. RIP.

Hopefully this finally drives down the price of a used running chassis so I can justify buying one.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ImplicitAssembler posted:

His hair is worse than Lewis'.

Inconceivable.

With all these terrible circuit ideas floating around, I give you the Tokyo Drift Pagking Garage GP:

Let's do this.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

McGuinty posted:

I remember that happening, was that in the run up to the World Cup or the Olympics?

Olympics, but it was demolished back in 2012.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If not for that crash he would have finished first in a team of him, Loris Capirossi, and Valentino Rossi. Harada was really good.

e) I also love the 2001 250cc season where he plays the role of the old veteran challenging Daijiro Kato. What a loss Kato was.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I feel that Japan should have produced a champion rider/driver by now but for whatever reason it hasn't. Not sure what the issue is.

I have a Kato replica motorcycle helmet. It's great.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I sometimes firmly believe that 90s 250cc was the actual peak of grand prix motorcycle racing. There were a few years (especially like 96-97) where people were more into the 250s than 500cc.

Yeah I never really noticed until you pointed it out but you're right.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Capirossi perhaps wasn't the most endearing character. He was sorta responsible for this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5_dJL5U28

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Capirossi perhaps wasn't the most endearing character. He was sorta responsible for this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5_dJL5U28

:italy:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Carth Dookie posted:

I have a Kato replica motorcycle helmet. It's great.

Just so you guys don't have to google this too: it's really ugly and has an anime face on the back

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
My monitor is on, by the way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah I never really noticed until you pointed it out but you're right.

They even implemented age limits in Moto2/Moto3! Who the hell doesn't want to see Jorge Martinez or Ralf Waldmann Olding it up in 125/250s?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like that clip because you tell Gresini saw that coming.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They even implemented age limits in Moto2/Moto3! Who the hell doesn't want to see Jorge Martinez or Ralf Waldmann Olding it up in 125/250s?

I don’t want a MotoGP Busch Series.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Having a MotoGP series like historical F2 wouldn't be bad.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pvt. Public posted:

Hopefully this finally drives down the price of a used running chassis so I can justify buying one.

This was the exact same thought that crossed my mind...but how to get one to America cheaply :thunk:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GramCracker posted:

This was the exact same thought that crossed my mind...but how to get one to America cheaply :thunk:

You're better off buying an old Formula Atlantic car.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

McGuinty posted:

Yeah, turn 8 is the only good and memorable part of that track, the rest of it is like one of those fantasy fan-made "ultimate F1 tracks" that consist entirely of great corners from tracks all over the world strung together, because that is exactly what Hermann Tilke did. I seem to remember approximations of the Senna esses from Interlagos, both Curva Grande and Parbolica, and Eau Rouge being included in the layout. As if you can laser scan and construct reproductions of those corners anywhere and expect them to retain the same magic they posess in their original setting (hint: that magic comes as much from the context of the track as it does from the physical tarmac).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lseNan1ODY8

I don't see what's wrong with copying good ideas from other tracks? Istanbul is one of the best tracks in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

I don’t want a MotoGP Busch Series.

The Busch Series with Randy LaJoie and David Green being old and winning kicked rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Me, smart: I want to see legendary small-displacement bike riders like Ralf Waldmann and Luca Cadalora challenging young upstart riders.

Wicka, extremely shrill and hysterically: I want to see a bunch of anonymous Spanish twinkboys

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Me, smart: I want to see legendary small-displacement bike riders like Ralf Waldmann and Luca Cadalora challenging young upstart riders.

Wicka, extremely shrill and hysterically: I want to see a bunch of anonymous Spanish twinkboys

But what about motorcycle racing

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wasn't Moto2 marginally fast than MotoGP bikes at some tracks at one point in time? I may just be thinking of top speed but it's a shame that they don't just sell Moto3 as a different kind of racing to MotoGP and have some actual skill build up in that class.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Open wheel suffers from it as well but it's kind of always been that way and I think if there was less focus on getting to F1 you wouldn't see people just jumping into a Prema in a lower category and running away with the championship like happens now. As poo poo as Palmer was he probably could make a decent career in F2 or F3 if it wasn't just a pay system.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I get this track confused with Okayama, mainly from playing insanely JDM game C1 Racing Battelu and also I think F1 went there when it was still called TI Circuit Aida

Edit: Phwoar i'm going to watch this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzgvgl

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TI Circuit Aida was really bad. I like to call it TI Circuit Aids.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

Don't forget about Shoya Tomizawa.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

TI Circuit Aida was really bad. I like to call it TI Circuit Aids.

It stinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Looks like a presentation video of what Liberty Media's ultimate goal for F1 has been released/leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9oc3A0OpI

• Locked thread