Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed that skavenblight isn't nearly as much of a threat as Crooked Moon, or why the hell Queek doesn't start in that area.

Because hoo boy would that be nuts if you have to juggle dealing with both Queek and Skarsnik right out of the gate. But a lot of fun, too.

One of the mods I'm using revamps the Eight Peaks situation in a massive way: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1198319612

Really cool, though I'm wondering if putting Queek in Eight Peaks right out might be the better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does anyone else get that weird pop up after launching the game from the launcher that says something to the effect of having mods on and the options are “ok” or “disable mods”?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yes. I believe they introduced that because people were making heaps of threads about technical problems that (they did not realise) were caused by mod conflicts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
My go-to for resolving issues was to disable the most comprehensive mods and work backwards from there.

toasterwarrior posted:

One of the mods I'm using revamps the Eight Peaks situation in a massive way: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1198319612

Really cool, though I'm wondering if putting Queek in Eight Peaks right out might be the better option.

Yeah I had seen this and it is a good idea. I think they should've just had Queek start in Eight Peaks if you're anyone but Queek honestly. It makes the Dwarf start more challenging because not only do you have to deal with Grimgor you also have to deal with Queek as well. For Greenskins it gives you a squishier target to stomp on to build yourself up to deal with the Dwarves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish they'd move Vlad and Isabella somewhere else. Make retaking Drakenhof something exciting and not an early-game chore.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish they'd move Vlad and Isabella somewhere else. Make retaking Drakenhof something exciting and not an early-game chore.

They could also make retaking Drakenhof...worth it. I thought the special building was a letdown, all in all. I never felt any real investment in it like I did with Skarsnik and K8P.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
I'm experiencing massive lag for underway battles in total war warhammer 1.

Everything else works fine. I've played 81 hours, and both campaign map and battles have worked fine and fluently. Even battles with 4-6 armies with 20x units each. But for battles in the "underway", my computer slows to a crawl.

Any tips. Any settings I can adjust?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not only that, but the Moonslaker trait is absolutely useless for Vampire Counts. In contrast, Vlad's bonus is amazing for legendary lords.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'd love it if they moved Kemmler to Mousillon together with a halfassed Red Duke and then came up with some dumb excuse to move Vlad and Isabella to the Vampire Coast.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kainser posted:

I'd love it if they moved Kemmler to Mousillon together with a halfassed Red Duke and then came up with some dumb excuse to move Vlad and Isabella to the Vampire Coast.

They decided to celebrate their anniversary at the beach.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Kainser posted:

Alistair (the wish foundation character) suggests that they could just put him in the lord pool for Mousillon as-is.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Okay how the hell do you beat high elves as dark elves (or actually, any other drat faction). These seem to be the most overpowered bullshit in the game. No problems with any other faction but them.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Multiplayer or singleplayer?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Single player

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Kainser posted:

Kemmler being moved would make sense, but I'd rather they fleshed out the vampire coast as a unique VC subfaction and add the zombie pirates stuff with Luthor Harkon as their LL, Vlad and Isabella are fine with Mannfred living in their basement.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
quote isn't edit...

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Kinetica posted:

Single player

Get a bunch of Darkshards with shields and/or Reaper Bolt Throwers to murder their armored infantry, some cavalry (1-2 dark riders with shields are actually really good here) to run over archers and any eventual bolt throwers. Dragon princes can be pretty tricky to deal with unless you have 1-2 Black Guards of Naggarond. Witch elves are great for locking down cavalry so they can't cyclecharge which the AI loves doing.

All flying High Elf units can generally be dealt with by throwing a unit of dreadspears on them when they land and then focus firing them with darkshards since the AI isn't great at using them.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the thing the elf AI can catch a newbie dark elf player doing that is very bad for you is leading with malekith

do not lead with malekith once he's on his dragon, every archer on the map will turn him into a pincushion. lead with your groundbound nerds, and have malekith fly in once the lines are engaged to start loving everything up

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Choyi posted:

Kemmler being moved would make sense, but I'd rather they fleshed out the vampire coast as a unique VC subfaction and add the zombie pirates stuff with Luthor Harkon as their LL, Vlad and Isabella are fine with Mannfred living in their basement.
It just means that Vlad and Isabella are basically the exact same start as Manfredd, which is a little limiting. VC have a ton of LLs but only one real start.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, it's a bit unfortunate that the Vampire counts probably won't get any additional starts from CA because hey, they already have one! (that's completely meaningless)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ZeusJupitar posted:

Alistair (the wish foundation character) suggests that they could just put him in the lord pool for Mousillon as-is.

They need to do this for all lords.

gently caress generic lords. Each lord should have a little backstory, even if they aren't canon in the lore. Steal the Name of Power mechanic from DEs. Each lord specializes in certain types of troops.

Also double the size of zones of controls, have Empire starts for players start with Reikland and put in a giant "I will not agree to any alliance with you. gently caress off and never ask again" button in diplomacy.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Kainser posted:

Get a bunch of Darkshards with shields and/or Reaper Bolt Throwers to murder their armored infantry, some cavalry (1-2 dark riders with shields are actually really good here) to run over archers and any eventual bolt throwers. Dragon princes can be pretty tricky to deal with unless you have 1-2 Black Guards of Naggarond. Witch elves are great for locking down cavalry so they can't cyclecharge which the AI loves doing.

All flying High Elf units can generally be dealt with by throwing a unit of dreadspears on them when they land and then focus firing them with darkshards since the AI isn't great at using them.

I've made it to the chaos invasion. I started as malekith and spent the first segment of the game dealing with the Norsica rampage that wiped out every other faction to the northwest of me. I've gotten to black guard/executioners, and have been slowly rolling them out.
I haven't been having a problem with killing the flying units, but the moment I start focusing them everything else seems to start burning. Are the DE calvary decent at dealing with the spear/bow combo units? When I tried before (on a morathi attempt), they didn't do very well.

Is it an army comp? I use malekith, 2 bolt throwers, a hydra, 1-2 cold one calvary, about an even mix of darkshards/shades and an even mix of spear/sword units. On one or two of my armies I might put in a chariot, which seem semi decent, but not as much against high elves as other races.

Ze Pollack posted:

the thing the elf AI can catch a newbie dark elf player doing that is very bad for you is leading with malekith

do not lead with malekith once he's on his dragon, every archer on the map will turn him into a pincushion. lead with your groundbound nerds, and have malekith fly in once the lines are engaged to start loving everything up
I figured this out the fun way. I've been using him to smack archers or lords (depending on spell cool downs).

Also these assholes pinned my black ark down with three of their armies and killed it the moment they declared war :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Xae posted:

They need to do this for all lords.

gently caress generic lords. Each lord should have a little backstory, even if they aren't canon in the lore. Steal the Name of Power mechanic from DEs. Each lord specializes in certain types of troops.

Nah, I love the bland little generics I build up into legend-killers.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kinetica posted:

Single player

Another poster mentioned this, but Darkshards are your friend. With shields, they're resistant to Helf archer spam and Helf archers don't get the same benefit against Darkshards - it takes two hands to wield a bow, after all. Initially, they'll outrange your Darkshards but if you can push the line forward to get them in range, your Darkshards will melt them. Placing them in two ranks works well, but if they're close to your front line make sure you turn off skirmishing mode because then they'll never fire at anything and just keep backing up to create space the entire battle.

Alternatively, focus-fire your Darkshards on Helf elite infantry/cavalry - think White Lions, Phoenix Guard, Swordmasters, and Dragon Princes. Darkshards poo poo out AP damage like it's nobody's business, so those units (with the exception of Dragon Princes because they have shields) actually fare much, much worse than even the baseline Spearmen against Darkshard fire - their missile resistance is not as good as having a shield. Few things are more satisfying than seeing an entire unit of Swordmasters break/get wiped out before they even touch your line.

Monsters can be problematic - A Helf army with a shitload of monsters can create hell for you even if they have just a few line infantry. The AI will use the monsters to occupy your ranged units long enough for the Helf elite infantry to make it to your line undamaged. Keep some Black Guards/Dreadspears in with your artillery/Darkshards and use them to murder monsters that try to disrupt them. Focusing fire with the remaining Darkshards on monsters will bring them down really quickly - Black Guard absolutely wreck anything that's large, and all of the AP damage pouring into them from the Darkshards will spell a quick end to them. As the previous poster recommended, one unit of Witch Elves are really nice to lock down cavalry/monsters, because then they can't flee.

If the army is using a lot of Seaguard/Archers, use Black Ark Corsairs - Corsairs are armored and move faster than either unit, so they can't flee. Even though Seaguard can melee much better than Archers, they should still lose to Corsairs/Dual Swords. Unfortunately, because they lack shields Corsairs are often a primary target for the AI when it comes to ranged/artillery fire, so watch out for that. Corsairs/Handbows trade well with Helf Archers of either stripe (unarmored/light armor), because they resist more of their ranged damage (whereas Helf archers don't resist theirs as well), are faster, and can fire while moving - they can spend the entire battle harassing and killing them without the archers even getting so much as a shot off. Remember - Corsairs/Handbows are one of the few units with non-AP ranged damage in your army. For this reason alone, don't substitute them for Darkshards.

A possible solution is a Fire Sorceress overcasting Burning Head. When the Helf line clashes with yours, cast this down the line. Seaguard/Spearmen don't have enough armor to resist a lot of the damage, so you'll kill/break them by the droves. This will free up the rest of your army (including Darkshards) to chase down the Archers. The AI will usually move archers out of the way of most spells to reduce the overall damage, so you're better off using Burning Head on units that re bunched up and won't move.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 17, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kinetica posted:

Are the DE calvary decent at dealing with the spear/bow combo units?

Despite having anti-large and charge defence they're still not going to outfight a decent cavalry unit or two smashing into them from a good angle.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Vlad seems to have dissipated from Von Carstein when I confederate as Manfred. God drat it. Issie's there but no bestdad

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Kinetica posted:

Are the DE calvary decent at dealing with the spear/bow combo units? When I tried before (on a morathi attempt), they didn't do very well.

Lothern sea guards are a bit tricky since they counter their counter. The 'optimal' way of handling them is running Witch Elves or Black Ark corsairs after them if they are shielded since they are much faster or just outshoot them with darkshards if they don't have shields. Harpies perform decently against them as well if you just want to lock them down until you deal with the rest of their army.

The thing about Helf ranged against Dark Elves is that all dark elven infantry except for witch elves either has high armor or silver shields so they shouldn't deal damage to you that quickly.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm trying to figure out what to use as a late-game infantry core for the dark elves. Black Guard? Executioners? I was sort of cheesing it with Corsairs but they're not really sturdy enough, and neither are Bleakswords/Dreadspears.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Vlad seems to have dissipated from Von Carstein when I confederate as Manfred. God drat it. Issie's there but no bestdad

Yeah, you have to wait until they have both of them running armies around the map, or otherwise the game fucks you over. It's annoying as poo poo, especially when the AI refuses to raise a second army.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

There's an issue where LLs wounded or benched aren't available when their faction is confederated. They need to be on the field at the time.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kinetica posted:

I haven't been having a problem with killing the flying units, but the moment I start focusing them everything else seems to start burning. Are the DE calvary decent at dealing with the spear/bow combo units? When I tried before (on a morathi attempt), they didn't do very well.

If you're having trouble with seaguard, try corsairs with hand crossbows. Put them on melee mode, and have them flank around the side and charge the seaguard. If they run, the hand crossbows are shoot and move, so they get shot in the back and lose their shield bonus. If they fight, the corsairs will win handily with their superior stats, and not to mention armor which will help you survive the move in. If they just have a massive amount of the seaguard, consider adding some of those stalking units with dual weapons. Same idea, but they can start in a flanking position.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Another poster mentioned this, but Darkshards are your friend. With shields, they're resistant to Helf archer spam and Helf archers don't get the same benefit against Darkshards - it takes two hands to wield a bow, after all. Initially, they'll outrange your Darkshards but if you can push the line forward to get them in range, your Darkshards will melt them. Placing them in two ranks works well, but if they're close to your front line make sure you turn off skirmishing mode because then they'll never fire at anything and just keep backing up to create space the entire battle.

Alternatively, focus-fire your Darkshards on Helf elite infantry/cavalry - think White Lions, Phoenix Guard, Swordmasters, and Dragon Princes. Darkshards poo poo out AP damage like it's nobody's business, so those units (with the exception of Dragon Princes because they have shields) actually fare much, much worse than even the baseline Spearmen against Darkshard fire - their missile resistance is not as good as having a shield. Few things are more satisfying than seeing an entire unit of Swordmasters break/get wiped out before they even touch your line.

Monsters can be problematic - A Helf army with a shitload of monsters can create hell for you even if they have just a few line infantry. The AI will use the monsters to occupy your ranged units long enough for the Helf elite infantry to make it to your line undamaged. Keep some Black Guards/Dreadspears in with your artillery/Darkshards and use them to murder monsters that try to disrupt them. Focusing fire with the remaining Darkshards on monsters will bring them down really quickly - Black Guard absolutely wreck anything that's large, and all of the AP damage pouring into them from the Darkshards will spell a quick end to them. As the previous poster recommended, one unit of Witch Elves are really nice to lock down cavalry/monsters, because then they can't flee.

If the army is using a lot of Seaguard/Archers, use Black Ark Corsairs - Corsairs are armored and move faster than either unit, so they can't flee. Even though Seaguard can melee much better than Archers, they should still lose to Corsairs/Dual Swords. Unfortunately, because they lack shields Corsairs are often a primary target for the AI when it comes to ranged/artillery fire, so watch out for that. Corsairs/Handbows trade well with Helf Archers of either stripe (unarmored/light armor), because they resist more of their ranged damage (whereas Helf archers don't resist theirs as well), are faster, and can fire while moving - they can spend the entire battle harassing and killing them without the archers even getting so much as a shot off. Remember - Corsairs/Handbows are one of the few units with non-AP ranged damage in your army. For this reason alone, don't substitute them for Darkshards.

A possible solution is a Fire Sorceress overcasting Burning Head. When the Helf line clashes with yours, cast this down the line. Seaguard/Spearmen don't have enough armor to resist a lot of the damage, so you'll kill/break them by the droves. This will free up the rest of your army (including Darkshards) to chase down the Archers. The AI will usually move archers out of the way of most spells to reduce the overall damage, so you're better off using Burning Head on units that re bunched up and won't move.

Burning head is wonderful and a fire sorceress generally hangs out in my non-malekith stacks.

I'll try the different cavalry and a witch elf like you guys suggested. Are shades not as good as darkshards? I started using them during my norsica fights because they could at least deal with the inevitable swarm that would make its way around my melee.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Shades are great, the main drawback is that they are much more expensive than darkshards and you can't get shields on them which makes them worse for pure ranged vs ranged fights.

You can also go super cheesy with shades by stacking red line skills, technology and the shade boosting name of power to turn them into ridiculous murder machines (and make the game kinda boring)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kinetica posted:

Is it an army comp? I use malekith, 2 bolt throwers, a hydra, 1-2 cold one calvary, about an even mix of darkshards/shades and an even mix of spear/sword units. On one or two of my armies I might put in a chariot, which seem semi decent, but not as much against high elves as other races.

I find that Shades aren't typically worth their upkeep compared to a Darkshard. Yeah, Shades can do better in melee combat (and auto-resolve loves them), but time spent in melee is time not spent pumping enemy units full of AP bolts. Plus, they don't have access to shields like Darkshards do. That alone make Darkshards/Shields much, much better - if Shades get into an exchange with Helf archers, they'll lose because their armor isn't high enough to negate most of the damage and without a shield they don't get a 55% chance to ignore the damage outright. Yes, they could close into melee combat, but by that point they'll have taken too many losses to be effective.

Sure, you can Vanguard deploy them - but that just makes it a lot easier for them to get focused down by cavalry/monsters without any way for you to support them. Worse yet, you could wind up placing them far enough away that they don't get to fire off as many volleys as the rest of your Darkshards.

Whatever Shades do is typically done better by other elements in your army and for much lower upkeep to boot. Unless you opt for the super-cheese Shade strat outlined above. Shades might actually work out pretty well against any army that fields a huge infantry line (like the Norscans, Greenskins, or Skaven) because they can actually defend themselves in case you get overwhelmed, but High Elves are not that army. They might be pretty alright if Tyrion rolls in with a hellstack of monsters, though (because there's no way you're going to prevent a shitload of monsters from attacking your archers).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 17, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the Shades' fluff is delightful

every other Dark Elf army unit is a professional soldier of one stripe or another. Shades? Shades are rural hick dark elf clans lured into the big city with promises of loot and plunder.

they're generally better than the urban soldiery because rural Naggaroth is an unspeakable wind-swept hellhole where only the strong survive. you also have to pay them real loving well because, with good reason, the clan-chief is constantly contemplating "at what point does sticking around here become a stupider idea than just killing the paymaster and taking his poo poo."

that Shades and the not-yet-part-of-the-High-Elf-roster Shadow Warriors of Nagarythe are ~basically~ the same thing is politely ignored by both sides.

there is also something I hope they implement, for all it's kind of pointless: the Battle Standard of Nagarythe, Malekith's personal heraldry as Prince of Nagarythe. if it was deployed, all Dark Elves got ludicrous leadership bonuses. also, if the enemy was fielding any Shadow Warriors, they became Unbreakable, on the grounds "this is literally what you have trained your entire lives for, kill the fucker who dares wave that traitor's flag."

consider, for a moment, what you could do with unbreakable Shades

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Shadow Warriors are the opposite of mercenaries out for plunder they'd fight dark elves if you paid them in kicks to the balls.

Everyone from old Nagarythe was bloodthirsty savage though, loyalist or not. They bred em wrong up north.

When High Elves get their ap and magic archers there'll be no stopping them.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sassassin posted:

Shadow Warriors are the opposite of mercenaries out for plunder they'd fight dark elves if you paid them in kicks to the balls.

Everyone from old Nagarythe was bloodthirsty savage though, loyalist or not. They bred em wrong up north.

When High Elves get their ap and magic archers there'll be no stopping them.

your king picks up one stinking sword that damns him and all he loves to madness and ruin and people start finding the Festival Of Murdering His Son In Effigy in poor taste

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Mazz posted:

You cannot have tweak or the game open while using the PFM, when you save it will error out because the database is already open in another program. When it errors like that it just deletes/corrupts the pack and they disappear. lovely, but consistent and somewhat understandable since your loving with actively read databases.

There's no good search feature in the PFM compared to tweak, especially across tables. That being said, the sort and filter options are good once you know what table it's in. I'll use tweak for figuring out table relations and weird references for new mods, then just do everything else in the PFM, usually using multiple instances of the PFM at the same time since they don't have the same problem of crashing while running.

The PFM has its little oddities but drat if it isn't faster to use once you know them. Basically one is an actual database manager and the other turns them into excel documents.

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks. I've taken to using pfm and tweak in tandem for c/ping single line edits.

Idk what logic the game uses to do it but despite having his own lore defined (and ticked as 'composite') giving teclis more than 6 spells makes them all display in their individual parent lore. Its hideous. I can get around it by deleting the parent lore:spell relation in data, but that's a horrible hackjob of a solution and Idk what that does to other casters. There's one last thing I can think to try, but if that doesn't work I think I have to create duplicate spell entries for everything I want him to have.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kinetica posted:

Burning head is wonderful and a fire sorceress generally hangs out in my non-malekith stacks.

I'll try the different cavalry and a witch elf like you guys suggested. Are shades not as good as darkshards? I started using them during my norsica fights because they could at least deal with the inevitable swarm that would make its way around my melee.

Alternatively, you could just say 'gently caress darkshards' and roll with a bigger infantry line than the high elves. Tie their line in place, encircle/murder it (Executioners/Twin Sword Corsairs are good for this), and ruthlessly employ Dread Knights and Chariots against the unprotected archers. Yes, Seaguard are anti-large (so cav might not be the best idea), but by the time they're able to put down a lot of hurt you've probably killed their line and can start swarming them with Executioners.

In one multiplayer replay between Turin and Indypride, you can see how much the infantry/cav strategy runs roughshod over dwarves, and it's loving brutal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlRPZqHzs24

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 18, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
That game is more 'chariots vs dwarfs' than anything else. High elves are a completely different faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any idea when we're getting Norsca and the associated patch back again?