Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Since you can't name the same thing more than once a day, you really need to pace yourself though. If you go out swinging with indestructible and annihilator 6 the first time you drop it, then sure, good chance you win on the spot. But next game? Next match? You're going to have to show some restraint and not doubling up too much on abilities that do kind of the same thing.

Defense: Indestructible, hexproof, shroud, protection from everything, undying, persist, absorb 1, transfigure 1BB

Aggression: Annihilator 6, afflict 4, renown 6, triple strike, double strike, infect, battle cry, dethrone, poisonous 1, frenzy 1, melee

Evasion: Horsemanship, shadow, flying, landwalk, intimidate, fear, menace, skulk, trample

Misc: Deathtouch, wither, lifelink, squirrellink, bushido 5, rampage 4, prowess, flanking, provoke, evolve, outlast W/G/B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

*has 5 seconds to pick another keyword or his guy is gonna lose hexproof, indestructable, first strike, renown 6, rampage 4, annihilator 6, flying, horsemanship, banding, menace, deathtouch, lifelink.... can only thing of one more thing and mournfully pronounces "Defender"*

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Your go-to emergency keyword when you have a brainfart that will not do anything good but also do no harm should be.... "haste".

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You can also go with any of the keywords that don't really do anything at this stage, like emerge or embalm.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Just give it Banding and a combat based keyword, the time taken up by the rules explanation of how this is going to work will end up drawing the game anyway :v:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bands with other Homarids

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dammit

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
You can always name a keyword that doesnt do anything. There are a lot of keywords out there.

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Keyword_ability

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That's a lot of posts and agonizing about a 3/3 for 7

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The best part about banding with others is that despite there only being six cards in the game that grant it, there are two cards that don't do anything besides remove it - but since they do it from a single creature and all the sources that grant banding with others do so to every creature in a particular category, the cards functionally do nothing. I can only imagine they thought they would be printing that stupid thing on more creatures, but here we are...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

Look I'm just excited that my Spiked-in Tolaria will have another potential target for it's alternate tap ability.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serperoth posted:

Not sure that Fenoxo was the right pick for the Designer Cards reboot

Why the hell did you just put the idea of a Fenoxo-designed crossbreed labs in my head?!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

After your opponent's second cast spell it's essentially unkillable and I assume they'll cast more spells after that?

The best part is you don't need to make it unkillable until they try to kill it. Target it with something? Protection from all colors, hexproof, or shroud. Wrath? Indestructable or Undying.

Would the name on the Formidable of Dragon-Scarred Bear work? Would it be as printed or with an implicit [card name] instead? If it's the latter, there are a few ways of getting defensive abilities from other keywords like that. Etched Champion's Metalcraft, Masked Gorgon, Mystic Familiar, or Crashing Centuar with Threshold.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ability words are not keyword abilities and have no rules meaning.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The best part is you don't need to make it unkillable until they try to kill it. Target it with something? Protection from all colors, hexproof, or shroud. Wrath? Indestructable or Undying.

Would the name on the Formidable of Dragon-Scarred Bear work? Would it be as printed or with an implicit [card name] instead? If it's the latter, there are a few ways of getting defensive abilities from other keywords like that. Etched Champion's Metalcraft, Masked Gorgon, Mystic Familiar, or Crashing Centuar with Threshold.

None of those are keyword abilities.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

None of those are keyword abilities.

Huh I never realized the difference between Keyword Abilities and Ability Words.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

They're very confusingly named, but in general anything in italics might as well not exist on the card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Can't wait to put Flashback on it.

Or Eternalize.

Can't you have multiple of the same Keyword with something like, say, Afflict?

Like put Afflict 1, 2, and 3 on this thing, because those are all different?

Or you know, Annihilator 1, 2, 4, 6?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

They're very confusingly named, but in general anything in italics might as well not exist on the card.

Makes sense, but Threshold getting errata'd to italics keeps it confusing when just looking at the cards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Your opponent isn't going to cast enough spells for you to need to know every loving keyword you nerdlings.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Your opponent isn't going to cast enough spells for you to need to know every loving keyword you nerdlings.

IDK a big enough Crow Storm and we might have to dust off Islandhome.

IM Draft tonight. I am going to unrepentantly rare draft anything over :10bux: that crosses my path, even if it means I end up in some 5-color jank that feels like playing booster wars.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Count Bleck posted:

Can't wait to put Flashback on it.
No creature has ever had Flashback.

quote:

Can't you have multiple of the same Keyword with something like, say, Afflict?

Like put Afflict 1, 2, and 3 on this thing, because those are all different?

Or you know, Annihilator 1, 2, 4, 6?
Per the preview article, no you can't. You get each keyword once and those are the same keyword.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

IDK a big enough Crow Storm and we might have to dust off Landhome.
Storm puts copies on the stack, it doesn't actually cast the new spells.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 17, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

IDK a big enough Crow Storm and we might have to dust off Islandhome.

IM Draft tonight. I am going to unrepentantly rare draft anything over :10bux: that crosses my path, even if it means I end up in some 5-color jank that feels like playing booster wars.

Storm doesn't cast spells.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Magic designers would love to have a card that references "keyword abilities" so they can print a card like Cairn Wanderers and not have to write out a list. But Magic's rules are so patched together that no one knows what a "keyword ability" really is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I completely forgot Iconic Masters was coming out today and I know I’m not alone.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I was hoping to draft it at FNM tonight, but everyone will complain it's too expensive to draft and then buy and crack a box of XLN in front of me.

(Okay, slight exaggeration, but come on!)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

odiv posted:

I was hoping to draft it at FNM tonight, but everyone will complain it's too expensive to draft and then buy and crack a box of XLN in front of me.

(Okay, slight exaggeration, but come on!)

Sounds like an underestimation to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DariusLikewise posted:

I mean it is a basically unkillable 3/3 that gains Annihilator 6 or Triple Strike if your opponent does anything.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Unstable twitch stream starting right about now, they're going to show new cards

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

No creature has ever had Flashback.

You're right, but if we look at the actual wording it's "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you have five seconds to choose a keyword you haven't chosen for a card named Modular Monstrosity today that's been printed on a creature card." Flashback is a keyword that has been printed on a creature card(such as Snapcaster Mage).

----

Kurtofan posted:

Unstable twitch stream starting right about now, they're going to show new cards

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Stream over

Elyv fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 17, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lol

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

:discourse:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Epic Punch is messed up right? If the intent was to have the +2/+2 be permanent then shouldn't it have added counters?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Can an augment replace another augment on a host?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen posted:

Epic Punch is messed up right? If the intent was to have the +2/+2 be permanent then shouldn't it have added counters?

we're going full Riding the Dilu Horse

E: the proofreading and templating for this set have not been the best

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Please be serpentine serpent with type wurm wurm

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tainen posted:

lol yeah, for sure, they hosed up

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

So hear me out... first you generate infinite mana...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I got a Corpsejack Menace and a Heroes Bane out at the same time. Good times were had with my 48/48.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

I'm going to play this with Mox Lotus.