Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

People posting in programming threads have one perspective.

People running businesses have another perspective.

Us programmers often want everything to be set up with a sweet CD/CI system with tests and static typing and just everything perfect. On the other hand it's important to ship stuff ASAP and fix your poo poo later.

Hahaha... like there will ever be time to fix poo poo later. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lumpy posted:

Hahaha... like there will ever be time to fix poo poo later. :smith:

Sure there will! Just get bought by Facebook, get fat stacks of cash, and there's a 50/50 chance the guys who come after you're living on your tropical island will have a chance to do it within the next 5 years.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm about halfway through that interview, super cool stuff so far. One thing about Instagram to note though is they said their test suite was super comprehensive. That helps being able to deploy with confidence, rather than just having the test suite with like 10 or so tests from week one and then 0 tests from all the other weeks because you were behind schedule and testing is a luxury your organization can't afford (because you're all busy fixing errors on past releases that weren't tested.)

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Another part of that interview I really liked is learning that Facebook employees switch departments after a year's time.

I would loving love to work at a place that does that because I'm getting to a point where I want to get away from doing JS daily and force myself to work with/learn backend programming. I love frontend development, but I would like to be a more well-rounded developer without having to necessarily change career paths.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 14, 2017

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We worked with Pivotal Labs at one point and their devs switched projects every 4-6 weeks, often with only a day’s notice. That was kind of crazy to me, but it did make sure no one was too relied on.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Is there a reason almost every journalism-related website has a god awful front end? Every time I open up an article on my phone, it inevitably stalls, hangs, and has problems. I'll open other things fine, but for some reason news articles from any source seem to just have lots of problems, and I don't think it's my device. I've also noticed that lots of different sites will often not adjust for 4k displays right, which is something I haven't seen on any other kind of site before. It's a curious trend, and it seems to be true more often than not.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

Is there a reason almost every journalism-related website has a god awful front end? Every time I open up an article on my phone, it inevitably stalls, hangs, and has problems. I'll open other things fine, but for some reason news articles from any source seem to just have lots of problems, and I don't think it's my device. I've also noticed that lots of different sites will often not adjust for 4k displays right, which is something I haven't seen on any other kind of site before. It's a curious trend, and it seems to be true more often than not.

What journalism sites are you talking about?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've done some work on community newspaper websites, they're slow because they add tracking and ad scripts at a rate of about two per week because they have no clue how to save their business model.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Turns out you can make the most simple typographic pages terrible with enough advertisement and tracking. The concept of Facebook Instant Articles and Google's AMP or whatever they're called are straight up laughable when you consider it is quite possible to serve a page that loads near instantly on 4G networks and near ubiquitous broadband. It's certainly not web technology's fault poo poo runs slow.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

The Dark Wind posted:

Ad networks are brutal and if you implement them lazily and skip past the tech dudes to put ads up everyone suffers.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Giga Gaia posted:

Ad networks are brutal and if you implement them lazily and skip past the tech dudes to put ads up everyone suffers.

Why would I need to talk to the tech dudes? The salesman said all I have to do is paste this at the top of the site?? :shrug:

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have any tips for getting handling hot reloading of a server? Right now I have a server.js file which I can build using a separate webpack config file and then I can run the output via node but I'd like to get to a place where I can do something like "npm run watchserver" that will watch my files and start/restart the server process after changes have completed. I've tried googling this a bunch but I keep running into people talking about webpack-dev-server which I think isn't what I want.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Horn posted:

Does anyone have any tips for getting handling hot reloading of a server? Right now I have a server.js file which I can build using a separate webpack config file and then I can run the output via node but I'd like to get to a place where I can do something like "npm run watchserver" that will watch my files and start/restart the server process after changes have completed. I've tried googling this a bunch but I keep running into people talking about webpack-dev-server which I think isn't what I want.

You lost me a bit where you're building backend code with Webpack, but maybe this is a job for something like nodemon or supervisor?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I want to be able to use cool things like the spread operator and my understanding is that this required transpiling with babel. This is obviously not my forte so I could be off.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
If anyone has been having trouble with wrapping their heads around how Redux works, I recently read this random blog post from a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good: https://daveceddia.com/how-does-redux-work/ the blog talks about it in the context of using it with React

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Horn posted:

I want to be able to use cool things like the spread operator and my understanding is that this required transpiling with babel. This is obviously not my forte so I could be off.

Node added ES6 support several versions ago, there’s no need for a transpiler on your backend. You can check the status of various features here.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
This is an open ended question, but I am at the end of my own personal research and am instead turning to people who are most definitely smarter than me (which is probably all of you).

A small group of peers and I are trying to get a webapp project going. We have decided on a microservice architecture for the back-end and have been exploring similar things for the front-end using Angular. I'm fairly well versed in all the big frameworks like Angular, Vue and React, but I am just not sure how to approach developing a microservice oriented front-end.

I've stumbled upon things like Micro Frontends (https://micro-frontends.org/) and Project Mosaic (https://www.mosaic9.org/) but the problem I'm having is that it seems there is not a lot of practical, hands-on examples of how this works in code and in the case of Micro Frontends, it's missing important poo poo like page navigation. I have no problem understanding how to break a front-end into a microservice front-end from a concept standpoint, I am simply lacking in practical code examples that show how it works.

The big question is, are we wasting our time trying to figure out how to do this? Is this the right direction to go in, and is this feasible with Angular? I am fine building a standard "monolithic" Angular application and breaking things into components as you normally do if that is the best case. My initial thought was to build components that match up with the microservices anyway. We are simply trying to take as many steps as possible from the start to prevent our codebase from becoming an unmaintainable interconnected mess, so if a microservice front-end is not the way to accomplish it, other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

This is an open ended question, but I am at the end of my own personal research and am instead turning to people who are most definitely smarter than me (which is probably all of you).

A small group of peers and I are trying to get a webapp project going. We have decided on a microservice architecture for the back-end and have been exploring similar things for the front-end using Angular. I'm fairly well versed in all the big frameworks like Angular, Vue and React, but I am just not sure how to approach developing a microservice oriented front-end.

I've stumbled upon things like Micro Frontends (https://micro-frontends.org/) and Project Mosaic (https://www.mosaic9.org/) but the problem I'm having is that it seems there is not a lot of practical, hands-on examples of how this works in code and in the case of Micro Frontends, it's missing important poo poo like page navigation. I have no problem understanding how to break a front-end into a microservice front-end from a concept standpoint, I am simply lacking in practical code examples that show how it works.

The big question is, are we wasting our time trying to figure out how to do this? Is this the right direction to go in, and is this feasible with Angular? I am fine building a standard "monolithic" Angular application and breaking things into components as you normally do if that is the best case. My initial thought was to build components that match up with the microservices anyway. We are simply trying to take as many steps as possible from the start to prevent our codebase from becoming an unmaintainable interconnected mess, so if a microservice front-end is not the way to accomplish it, other suggestions would be appreciated.

Guess I'm not sure what you mean by "microservices on the front end", at least in a single page app? Like you mean having multiple Angular apps on one page? I don't think Angular is really designed to allow that though I guess I don't really know for sure. You would end up with a lot of duplicated overhead and multiple digest cycles and whatnot though so I don't think it would be worth it. If code reuse is your concern then I think Angular modules (that encompass UI/services/controllers/etc.) is probably what you should look at instead.

I know that with the microservice set up some take the approach of foregoing the single page app and break their app up into multiple pages with their own apps using their own backend microservices. I don't think that's necessary myself unless your app is (or you believe it will eventually be I guess) really huge. If you want to separate out "component development" from "app development" you can use something like Lerna in conjunction with npm link to avoid the giant monolithic repo and Storybook to have a test bed/demo area for your components.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I made another thing, this time using React and TypeScript.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHXQMWSky9U

Source code is here: https://github.com/wanderrful/korean-learning-app

Question -- is this the sort of thing that's worthy of putting on a resume as a personal project? Or does it need to be dressed up and prettied up a lot more than this? Because right now it's just a simple proof of concept and I don't really know where the bar is supposed to be when it comes to this stuff. Just trying to get a sense of how delusional I am.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 18, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Adding something like bootstrap or material would go a long way towards making it look more polished.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Question -- is this the sort of thing that's worthy of putting on a resume as a personal project? Or does it need to be dressed up and prettied up a lot more than this? Because right now it's just a simple proof of concept and I don't really know where the bar is supposed to be when it comes to this stuff. Just trying to get a sense of how delusional I am.

You can definitely include your github profile in your resume. Not sure if it would be worth calling out personal projects individually though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Protocol7 posted:

You CAN do this with Angular, but it's probably not ideal and I don't really see the benefit in terms of software maintainability. Coupling nothing means repeating everything, you need to find a balance between the two.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Skandranon posted:

You CAN do this with Angular, but it's probably not ideal and I don't really see the benefit in terms of software maintainability. Coupling nothing means repeating everything, you need to find a balance between the two.

That's kind of my thought from all of my ongoing research too; it seems like while the idea is good on paper, the potential risks and tradeoffs probably aren't worth it compared to "normal" way of doing things.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone moved over to using Firefox Quantum Developer Edition. It's pretty nice I must say.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

smackfu posted:

We worked with Pivotal Labs at one point and their devs switched projects every 4-6 weeks, often with only a day’s notice. That was kind of crazy to me, but it did make sure no one was too relied on.

i worked at a place that had ~40 developers split into 8 different teams of 3-6 people. each friday there'd be a lottery and two lucky pairs would switch teams for the next week. if a team lost it's lead and got back a raw jr that was just how it went. once you 'won' the lottery you were out until everyone had rotated at least once. it was really nice to get some cross exposure and it was good preparation for someone 'critical' being unavailable. the dev manager would spend one week a month on a random team too working tickets and acting in all respects as a member of that team. it was the best place i've ever worked

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

porksmash posted:

You can definitely include your github profile in your resume. Not sure if it would be worth calling out personal projects individually though.

If you haven't previously been employed as a web developer, though... is there maybe something else that would work going under the experience category for a resume?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Love Stole the Day posted:

If you haven't previously been employed as a web developer, though... is there maybe something else that would work going under the experience category for a resume?

I put personal projects on my resume when I started out. Networking is the most important thing as a brand new dev, though. Go to meetups and make friends with people. There’s a new dev/how to get hired thread in this forum somewhere but I don’t have a link cause I’m phone posting. Lots of good advice in there.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

the talent deficit posted:

i worked at a place that had ~40 developers split into 8 different teams of 3-6 people. each friday there'd be a lottery and two lucky pairs would switch teams for the next week. if a team lost it's lead and got back a raw jr that was just how it went. once you 'won' the lottery you were out until everyone had rotated at least once. it was really nice to get some cross exposure and it was good preparation for someone 'critical' being unavailable. the dev manager would spend one week a month on a random team too working tickets and acting in all respects as a member of that team. it was the best place i've ever worked

Can you imagine a law firm or non-teaching hospital doing this?

“Yes please, I love being treated like an interchangeable cog. Professionalism? What’s that? I’m just an overpaid laborer after all.”

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We're not doctors or lawyers and I'm often very glad about that. Do you know what the equivalent of accidentally dropping the production database is when you're a doctor?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Relying on key people is actually really bad form. Reducing reliance on key people is NOT the same as treating everyone as interchangeable. It encourages communication, documentation, all the things that make people want to stick around.

Learning to handover well is an important institutional skill, that transcends low consequence jobs like computer touching all the way to officer of the watch on ships, or doctors. Guess what the consequence of a bad handover can be in a hospital or a ship?

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 24, 2017

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

PaganGoatPants posted:

Has anyone moved over to using Firefox Quantum Developer Edition. It's pretty nice I must say.

I wanted to try it out but there wasnt any compatible packages from AngularJS (1.6) debugging that I could find.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Same deal, redux devtools was buggy so I switched back to Chrome after a day.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's the main difference over the normal V57 release? I can't seem to figure it out since V57 of Firefox seems to have the same dev tools.

The Vue devtool extension seems to work fine though.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure the Developer edition is the same but with a few config flags turned on.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Analytic Engine posted:

Can you imagine a law firm or non-teaching hospital doing this?

“Yes please, I love being treated like an interchangeable cog. Professionalism? What’s that? I’m just an overpaid laborer after all.”

Yeah, it's sad how many people die because their doctor is out for the day and nobody know what the machine is beeping about so welp whatcha gonna do :shrug:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Quick question: I'm using webpack (spun up with create-react-app) to bundle my app. This app has the ability to be turned on and off through a panel that the user can access. So I thought it would be a good idea to console.warn() when the app was turned off for debugging purposes. But when I click on the source file in the console from the console.warn, I'm not seeing uglified code - I'm seeing the actual pretty code. How can I fix this? I thought webpack was supposed to compress it to be unreadable in the console?

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Make sure you aren’t emitting source maps. Source maps are un-minified versions of the code delivered with the minified version that the browser can use for debugging.

I think the webpack option is devTool:

https://webpack.js.org/configuration/devtool/

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
You can also watch in the network tab in dev tools to see if Chrome actually succeeds in downloading a .map file. If it does, it will then show the code from the map file instead of the minified code for breakpoints and stack traces.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

so basically I don't want to generate a .map file in production code ever, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Grump posted:

so basically I don't want to generate a .map file in production code ever, right?

Good question. Really depends on how you define production. Public facing website? Probably not. Beta testing at client site? Maybe?