Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Another handy tip: if you're trying to max out the "stun electrical enemies" perk, buy the EMP upgrade and switch off the other upgrades; it's the one time that having "specialized" grenades is useful.

Laserhunds are really good for this. You can bean them with an electric grenade & blow them right up, and it should count as an electric stun-kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah I didn't realize the grenade upgrades stacked either until late in the game, I figured the upgrades were more like "specializations". In retrospect that assumption didn't make much sense - the upgrades for all the other weapons stacked, why wouldn't it for grenades, too?

Another handy tip: if you're trying to max out the "stun electrical enemies" perk, buy the EMP upgrade and switch off the other upgrades; it's the one time that having "specialized" grenades is useful.

Speaking of grenades, I've maxed out all my perks except for the one about throwing back enemy grenades or shooting enemy grenades or something, the perk description is super vague. Whatever it wants, I've done it 0 times despite having put in like 40 hours of Nazi-killing mayhem at this point. :iiam:

The "kill enemies with their own grenades" one took some grinding in TNO too, though honestly they're too rare and too deadly to bother with most of the time in TNC. I think there's a few points where they'll always toss a grenade, but it's kinda silly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The good thing is it still remembers stuff if you die, so if you find a good spot for tossing grenades back you can just keep doing it and then dying and do it again until you've got enough. I ended up doing that in TNO for grenade throwback kills too.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just went through “a new suit” so I’m guessing I’m 1/2 or 2/3 done, but man, this game is harder than you’d expect. I’m only playing on normal and the courtroom fight took me 10 tries. Permadeath mode is something I’m never going to try.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The trick for grenade throwback kills in TNO was to throw a grenade at your own feet, and then it will let you pick it back up and throw it again - that counts as "throwing an enemy grenade". :v: The best place to do it was right as you exit the front doors of the hospital early in the game (the first time you encounter flying drones), as there's a few grenades on a barrel just to the left of the door, and there's a bunch of Nazis standing near the officer's car in the driveway.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

The trick for grenade throwback kills in TNO was to throw a grenade at your own feet, and then it will let you pick it back up and throw it again - that counts as "throwing an enemy grenade". :v: The best place to do it was right as you exit the front doors of the hospital early in the game (the first time you encounter flying drones), as there's a few grenades on a barrel just to the left of the door, and there's a bunch of Nazis standing near the officer's car in the driveway.
That's the sort of thing I ended up doing for that perk in TNO. As for the "kill Nazis by making them drop their grenades," all I could do was find a point near a checkpoint when somebody was about to pull a grenade on me and just savescum.

Overall while I find the perk system of TNC to be an improvement over TNO's in that you can just play normally and naturally get perks, I ultimately still found myself savescumming and grinding in the early game to unlock as much as I could so I wouldn't have to bother with them later. I suppose it's just a psychological thing on my part; if it was just a "get money, buy upgrades" thing I probably wouldn't grind as much.

Also, to drag the discussion back a few days, I've been wondering about how a victorious Third Reich would interact with the Klan. The barely concealed contempt we see in the game is certainly one possibility, but I wonder if the Klan might find itself wiped out early in the occupation. I figure that some of the politics of the Klan, particularly its bellicose American nationalism and its Protestant religiosity, would find little favor among Nazi elites, and I have a feeling the occupiers would find the organization, even as it existed in the late 1940s, to be too parochial and idiosyncratic for their needs. (I vividly remembering my American history prof in undergrad telling a story about how his grandfather was setting up a medical/dental practice in Vermont sometime in the 1900s-1910s, and found himself approached by a Klan recruiter. When he informed the recruiter that he was, you know, Jewish, the recruiter said that wasn't a problem, since his particular branch was only after the blacks and the Catholics. In the end, my professor's grandfather politely declined his generous offer.) For myself, I think it's just as likely the Reich would have used the Klan to gain some grassroots support in the Midwest and the South in the early years of the occupation, then wind up the organization once the Nazi leadership decides whether they want to build a collaborationist American government or go full transformation and assemble an actual American Nazi Party under their control. Heck, there's also the issue that the Klan organization that was built up in the 1920s was falling apart even before WWII started thanks to bad leadership and anti-Klan campaigns on both the federal and grassroots level, so there's a pretty good chance the Nazi occupiers in 1948 might not have found the organization strong enough to bother revitalizing and repurposing.

Man, the more I look at it, the more I think Superbunnyhop was right on the money about Machinegames' lack of an intuitive grasp of American history and culture weakening the game's setting. I'm not an American myself, but I did find there were all these little details that I thought were "off" that pulled me out of the story. (Personally, I suspect a world-conquering Third Reich would have preferred to just strip-mine North America while quietly "reducing the total population to a manageable level," but that's just my interpretation.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 13, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Emron posted:

I just went through “a new suit” so I’m guessing I’m 1/2 or 2/3 done, but man, this game is harder than you’d expect. I’m only playing on normal and the courtroom fight took me 10 tries. Permadeath mode is something I’m never going to try.

I'm around the same part, that fight I found got easier once I realised there was an area outside the main room you could go to with plenty of supplies.

The game's real good, but so far I'm inclined to say not as good as TNO/TOB. The difficulty definitely dropped once I got my new body, but it's still oddly tougher than the other two. Speaking of the new body, that was delightfully goofy after some really dark sections. I liked Shoshana checking you out while you're in the fishbowl. I mentioned it before, but Shoshana is creepy/cute. :3:

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

OK, am I missing something? Because everything I'd read said that the standout part of Episode Zero DLC was the stealth-heavy Agent Silent Death bit, and it's awful. All the problems of the game proper's stealth, but also with fewer alternative paths (even than the other bits of Ep 0) so it devolved into legging it from vent to vent (and in one case, thinning out the big robot enemies by hiding in a vent and waiting for the other enemies' to blow them up with grenades for me).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

For that part I just ignored the Supersoldats and shanked the rest.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Seriously though, who / what are Starcards supposed to be? Are they supposed to be alternate history versions of celebrities? I recognize none of them. Are they names of people who worked on the game or something? I find them baffling and pointless, especially since there's already like 4 other categories of pointless collect-em-all in the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think they're the developers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I mean it's there in plain sight but until you play the game you don't really know what it means. Although you could maybe piece it together (no pun intended) if you read a certain note in Set's lab early on that foreshadows it.

I'm really happy I caught that note before the thing happened.

Just finished the game. Totally blown away with how ridiculous it manages to be. Also got the recommendation to play on the second easiest difficult and to dual wield a lot, which I'm glad I acted on.

I seriously didn't think they were going to top the moon base with a Venus base. Also Nazi saucers. Set's key seemed sort of like a big deal for something that's just a loose thread for the next game, or did I miss a side quest or something?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I'm really happy I caught that note before the thing happened.

Just finished the game. Totally blown away with how ridiculous it manages to be. Also got the recommendation to play on the second easiest difficult and to dual wield a lot, which I'm glad I acted on.

I seriously didn't think they were going to top the moon base with a Venus base. Also Nazi saucers. Set's key seemed sort of like a big deal for something that's just a loose thread for the next game, or did I miss a side quest or something?

well, I mean technically its not space aliens, but ITS loving SPACE ALIENS!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Entropic posted:

Seriously though, who / what are Starcards supposed to be? Are they supposed to be alternate history versions of celebrities? I recognize none of them. Are they names of people who worked on the game or something? I find them baffling and pointless, especially since there's already like 4 other categories of pointless collect-em-all in the game.

yeah the starcards are really bad, they're very immersion breaking.

"oh poo poo i'm in this dystopian nazi bunker... wow a wacky swede developer card!!!"

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

yeah the starcards are really bad, they're very immersion breaking.

"oh poo poo i'm in this dystopian nazi bunker... wow a wacky swede developer card!!!"

Your right "Oh poo poo look at the big rear end shiny pile of gold someone just left in this puddle." is so much better.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

MrJacobs posted:

Your right "Oh poo poo look at the big rear end shiny pile of gold someone just left in this puddle." is so much better.

It totally is. It still makes no sense but that's fine, it's Wolfenstein as gently caress.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the star cards are the easiest thing to ignore in the entire game

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Gold also gets you concept art in this game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Those character models were also the only way I knew what the heck a "zitadelle" or "zerstorer" were.

I'm still not sure what the difference is between a "supersoldier" and an "ubersoldier", and I don't see the combat robots listed in the kill stats unless they're called something I don't recognize.

Speaking of the character models, I wish you could zoom in on them and spin them 360 degrees, but oh well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Supersoldats are the big dudes with two heavy guns. Ubersoldats are the wall-jumping terminators with hand lasers.

It's the Superduperubertroopers you really need to watch out for.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

speaking of super duper uber I love that the uberwelger or however you spell it is basically just a nazi/da'at yuchid BFG. Straight up with a note implying it might use some hell portal energy or some poo poo. I love that they set up a bunch of mooks for you to test it on. I was a little surprised at first they went with a Venus base rather then a Mars base, but I suppose the latter would have been playing a little too close to Doom. That said I sort of want to see that cross-over now.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Made myself an extra save slot specifically so I can kick Hitler whenever I want.

Also, having a hard time getting a constructor harness takedown. I constantly overlook the vents and just ramshackle dudes.

I just got the battle walker. What's the best way to do a takedown with it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

10 Beers posted:

I just got the battle walker. What's the best way to do a takedown with it?
I basically save-scummed for it, but I went back to the New York Penthouse level, waited for a guy to climb on top of the lower metal cage area, then did a combat takedown while on stilts from the ground level. Its not really useful but its there I guess

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's an area in the Manhattan Bunker where you walk through one of those big automatic vent doors and there'll be a guard on a catwalk right above you. It's the perfect height for a stilt-man takedown. The Bunker has lots of good opportunities for constrictor takedowns, too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Really Pants posted:

Supersoldats are the big dudes with two heavy guns. Ubersoldats are the wall-jumping terminators with hand lasers.

It's the Superduperubertroopers you really need to watch out for.

That's not how it's been in previous games, Ubersoldat and Super Soldier were terms used interchangeably for the same guys (Deathshead's giant frankensteins) and in TNC I would assume the large armored soldiers with dual lasergewhers/diesels/nails/etc.

I guess I never looked in the stat screens, the terminator robots in TNC I just thought of as "robots." I knew the flamethrower/rocket robots were Zitadelles though, some readable names them.

Are the giant last boss enemies called Ultrasoldats?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

Are the giant last boss enemies called Ultrasoldats?

Zerstörers.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beat the last of the Ubercommando missions last night, I feel like the last enemy before the general is a unique miniboss? Maybe?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Taintrunner posted:

I beat the last of the Ubercommando missions last night, I feel like the last enemy before the general is a unique miniboss? Maybe?

That's a Zerstorer, they're the big dudes you fought a pair of on the airship deck at the end of the game.

That particular Zerstorer is also a convenient way to get the "taste of your own medicine" trophy/achievement, which involves killing a Zerstorer with its own gun. I set the difficulty to easy, used a scoped assault rifle to shoot it in the arm/shoulder until the arm blew off, then ran in, grabbed the Ubergewehr it dropped, and killed it with it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought that achievement just required killing them with a Ubergewher because I got it on the last mission and I didn't think I picked up anything from the bosses.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

lol at the music in the credits. It rules.

edit: I just reached another djent-y breakdown. I'm promoting the lol to a full lmao

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone else getting crashes when pressing J to inspect collectibles? It happens at random to me and the error message says "failed to create crash dump." My Nvidia drivers are up to date, I've reinstalled them, verified game cache, and deleted my .local file in my appdata. Still happens.

I was getting that like every second or third time when I first started playing. After deleting my .local file and updating from the hotfix drivers to 388.13 at the same time I haven't had it happen since, so...sorry. :( Maybe the card is the difference? I'm running a GTX 980...

Did you do a clean install with your drivers?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Oxyclean posted:

.... I was a little surprised at first they went with a Venus base rather then a Mars base, but I suppose the latter would have been playing a little too close to Doom. ...

Gotta' save that blood red planet as a backdrop for your fight with Mecha-Hitler in Wolf 3!

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
Was gonna finish this game up, but when I hit E on Grace's door to start the New Orleans level, the game goes to black and hangs.

Fantastic.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Also, having a hard time getting a constructor harness takedown. I constantly overlook the vents and just ramshackle dudes.

The final ubercommando level is a good place to get these, there's at least one area where there are deactivated (assuming you haven't been spotted) robots on either side of a constrictor vent. Just save before doing the kills, then reload the save after doing it and you can max that perk in about a minute.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Was gonna finish this game up, but when I hit E on Grace's door to start the New Orleans level, the game goes to black and hangs.

Fantastic.

there's a fresh update on steam today, I can't find the patch notes anywhere though so dunno if it'll fix your issue.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

First: Just finished this and loved it all. I really love BJ and Hortons introduction, Sigrid's rational discussion with Grace about being referred to as a Nazi, and Fergus in general. I still have all the Uber commando stuff to finish up, so I'm not quite done yet.

Second: The Microsoft store has The New Blood for $10, The New Order for $10, or $15 for both. Worth it?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I might pick up Wolfenstein 2 when it goes on sale on Steam but am I going to have to upgrade from my overclocked i5-2500K CPU as well?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

10 Beers posted:

The Microsoft store has The New Blood for $10, The New Order for $10, or $15 for both. Worth it?

Definitely.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

spasticColon posted:

I might pick up Wolfenstein 2 when it goes on sale on Steam but am I going to have to upgrade from my overclocked i5-2500K CPU as well?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

spasticColon posted:

Runs on an i3-4170 pretty well. Probably way more GPU-intensive than CPU-intensive.