Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

been watching aldnoah zero and it's kinda funny to me that the bad guys refer to the mc's lovely training mech in the same way zeon did amuro's gundam

Yeah but guns actually kill people in Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ranzear posted:

Well. Sometimes. Sometimes you get stabbed in the cockpit and come out of it with robot arms or a fancy scar or nothing at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well. Sometimes. Sometimes you get stabbed in the cockpit and come out of it with robot arms or a fancy scar or nothing at all.

I think the discussion was more about rifles, handguns, and the like, not giant robodeath.

IBO, someone gets a bullet in them, they tend to die. Major characters included. If someone survives, it's made clear the shot hit something non-vital, like armor or a shoulder shot.

Aldnoah... does not treat getting shot in the face with the same weight.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Doesn't SEED have a character come back after their robot exploded?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i can't remember who said it in the first place but they said something along the lines of "aldnoah treats getting shot in the head as a mid season upgrade" and that's kinda why i think it's an okay show

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It has at least 3, one of them twice.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Improbable Lobster posted:

Seed has a main character get their robot annihilated by a loving beam of antimatter and come back.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remeber when I was a little kid and thought it was silly that Heero survived his Gundam self destructing when he was standing on the open cockpit hatch. Then Kira survived his Gundam nuclearly exploding over the open ocean when he was in it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ranzear posted:

I haven't gotten to that part yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I remeber when I was a little kid and thought it was silly that Heero survived his Gundam self destructing when he was standing on the open cockpit hatch. Then Kira survived his Gundam nuclearly exploding over the open ocean when he was in it.

This isn't what happened even in the show and it's sort of weird people keep saying this.

In the show:

The Minerva fires its Tannhauser and hits the ocean. This creates the expanding exposion. Kira turns his head to look at it and gets distracted by it even. Shin charges KIra and stabs him, the explosion rolls over them both. At no point does the Freedom explode.

Like, yeah, Kira surviving the Aegis self-destruct because of an offscreen blast door that popped down? That's bullshit. The Impulse vs Freedom fight doesn't pull that particular trick.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 17, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Artum posted:

Seed has a main character get their robot annihilated by a loving beam of antimatter and come back.

It was an anti-ship cannon and Mu La Flaga is not a ship, plus he's the man that makes the impossible possible.

Also Destiny is a giant mess of a show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

It was an anti-ship cannon and Mu La Flaga is not a ship, plus he's the man that makes the impossible possible.

The funniest part was that they showed his spaceship helmet floating among the debris and had to retcon that, so you can't even give it the "well maybe if he was REALLY LUCKY" benefit of the doubt.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The funniest part was that they showed his spaceship helmet floating among the debris and had to retcon that, so you can't even give it the "well maybe if he was REALLY LUCKY" benefit of the doubt.

To be fair, no-one said his helmet was really lucky.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mu can hold his breath for a really long time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

No, in Seed La Flaga wandered in front of the Dominion's Lohengrin shot, somehow blocking a positron cannon with a standard mobile suit shield. This was already utterly ridiculous (and later the director claimed he'd forgotten what it could do or something), so Destiny adding on "and somehow he survived too," was just kind of icing at that point. Of course he loving does it again in Destiny, actually bouncing the drat shot because of the magical bullshit paint on Akatsuki, but just add that to the list of Destiny's wrongs.

The blast door thing was incredibly silly, but at least technically possible (if still a complete asspull). For Destiny, stabbing nuclear reactors does not in any way cause them to detonate like a bomb, so I'm perfectly willing to let that slide as dramatic effect combined with something vaguely approaching real science. The scene was dumb anyways for other reasons.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chiasaur11 posted:

Sochie is only awful some of the time, which makes her much, much better than Katz.

Sochie is much much better than Katz, but in truth both are very good.

The only bad Turn A character is Lily the one time she is mean to Diana but then you realize later Lily is actually the best character in the show.
e: actually the bad character is the boring guy who digs out the space ship and dies.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
At least there's some kind of "well that's hosed up" imagery to go with Heero self distructing. Plus his survival isn't even the silliest one - Trowa gets hosed up when Quatre shoots him in the Mercurius and then it explodes but all that happens is he get amnesia that's cured by the Zero system. At least Lady Une had the decency to be a in a coma for a bit after she got shot and Mariemaia may be paralyzed after grandad Dekim tried to off her.

Still not as head scratching as some of the Seed and Destiny ones.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I do like that Lunamaria survives Destiny, and with one of the cooler gundams to boot. Blast Impulse is very much my poo poo. Probably the least regrettable hookup, too.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 18, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't what happened even in the show and it's sort of weird people keep saying this.

In the show:

The Minerva fires its Tannhauser and hits the ocean. This creates the expanding exposion. Kira turns his head to look at it and gets distracted by it even. Shin charges KIra and stabs him, the explosion rolls over them both. At no point does the Freedom explode.

Like, yeah, Kira surviving the Aegis self-destruct because of an offscreen blast door that popped down? That's bullshit. The Impulse vs Freedom fight doesn't pull that particular trick.

To be fair, the scene is so ambiguously choreographed that it's pretty feasible people are confused about it. They even had a lingering shot of Kira's fingers on the reactor shutdown switch, as though confirming that he survived the Freedom going up like a bomb by shutting down the reactor.

Also Kira only surviving full-body mobile suit impalement because the Freedom's cockpit is mounted about a foot higher than a normal cockpit is pretty silly. Then again, Athrun and Meyrin survive basically the same thing, so maybe Shinn needs to start aiming higher when he impales people.

Lord Koth posted:

No, in Seed La Flaga wandered in front of the Dominion's Lohengrin shot, somehow blocking a positron cannon with a standard mobile suit shield. This was already utterly ridiculous (and later the director claimed he'd forgotten what it could do or something), so Destiny adding on "and somehow he survived too," was just kind of icing at that point. Of course he loving does it again in Destiny, actually bouncing the drat shot because of the magical bullshit paint on Akatsuki, but just add that to the list of Destiny's wrongs.

The blast door thing was incredibly silly, but at least technically possible (if still a complete asspull). For Destiny, stabbing nuclear reactors does not in any way cause them to detonate like a bomb, so I'm perfectly willing to let that slide as dramatic effect combined with something vaguely approaching real science. The scene was dumb anyways for other reasons.

Mwu's survival in SEED is actually even worse than this from a writing standpoint because of it being a really blatant retcon. In the original TV airing of SEED, in the pull back shot after the Dominion's cannon blast dissipated, it very clearly shows Mwu's mangled, empty helmet with a shattered faceplate floating empty in space among the wreckage in front of the Archangel. In later versions(bluray, remaster) they noticeably removed the helmet from the scene.

I don't remember them ever justifying Andy's survival, though. He just sort of shows up missing an arm and an eye and a wife and he's like "yeah okay we're cool". I suppose he's the only bullshit survival in SEED who actually suffers permanent lasting injury from being utterly annihilated in a giant explosion and surviving, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

I don't remember them ever justifying Andy's survival, though. He just sort of shows up missing an arm and an eye and a wife and he's like "yeah okay we're cool". I suppose he's the only bullshit survival in SEED who actually suffers permanent lasting injury from being utterly annihilated in a giant explosion and surviving, though.

Don't they show his wife throwing herself over him in the cockpit or something when he retells how he survived to Kira?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't they show his wife throwing herself over him in the cockpit or something when he retells how he survived to Kira?

They enter a mutual final embrace, followed by the entirety of their mobile suit going up like a bomb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Andy thing genuinely doesn't need that much explanation. It's a plot point earlier in the show that Coordinators are absurdly durable and can survive things normal humans can't and Andy survived but badly maimed. It's anime bullshit but a lot more plausible than Mr. loving Tanks A Lohengrin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not to mention Murrue and Andy make a better couple.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

I think SEED Astray R tries to explain it with DaCosta managing to find Andy's body and shoving it into some healing tube thingy like minutes after the LaGOWE blew up. Lowe and company stumble onto DaCosta as he's trying to evac Andy away, and the whole sequence is what leads to the Junk Guild team inheriting Andy's old land battleship while they're on Earth, since DaCosta just leaves them the keys and fucks off to make sure Andy doesn't die. So yeah, Andy's survival is also a case of "Yo, go read this side manga with the much more cooler characters to find out what happened", much like Kira's survival after face tanking a self-destructing Gundam.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Aside from Lunamaria, did any hook up go well in Seed/Seed Destiny? It's like a Gundam horror movie of relationships.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Aside from Lunamaria, did any hook up go well in Seed/Seed Destiny? It's like a Gundam horror movie of relationships.

Kira and Lacus seem happy together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Droyer posted:

Kira and Lacus seem happy together.

Appearntly only the rebounds work out. Kira and Flay did not work out, Shin and Stella did not work out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair "Gundam relationships that went well" is a real fuckin' short list. Especially if you're counting 'stayed together but poo poo went awful' like Bright Noah or Flit Asuno.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lacus and Kira, Domon and Rain, and Shiro and Aina are the only good ends I can think of right off.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Lacus and Kira, Domon and Rain, and Shiro and Aina are the only good ends I can think of right off.

Zechs and Noin, everyone in Build Fighters though I guess that doesn't count.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Zechs and Noin, everyone in Build Fighters though I guess that doesn't count.

As of Frozen Teardrop, Zechs and Noin don't really qualify considering.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, there's honestly a number of main relationships that work out alright in Gundam, but they're kind of overshadowed by the giant mess that is relationships in most main sequence UC shows.

Off the top of my head, (mostly main) shows that end with a solid major couple, with nothing known to be an issue in the future:
-SEED
-X
-08th MS Team
-Wing - actually several here (Maybe? Don't know much about Frozen Teardrop, so if something happens there, disregard)
-G
-Turn A (kinda)
-F91
-Build Fighters

Almost certainly some I'm forgetting, and others that might fit depending on interpretation, but trying to go for unambiguous ones here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, there's honestly a number of main relationships that work out alright in Gundam, but they're kind of overshadowed by the giant mess that is relationships in most main sequence UC shows.

Off the top of my head, (mostly main) shows that end with a solid major couple, with nothing known to be an issue in the future:
-SEED
-X
-08th MS Team
-Wing - actually several here (Maybe? Don't know much about Frozen Teardrop, so if something happens there, disregard)
-G
-Turn A (kinda)
-F91
-Build Fighters

Almost certainly some I'm forgetting, and others that might fit depending on interpretation, but trying to go for unambiguous ones here.

I'd say Turn A has several, what with Harry and Diana and Joseph and Frau. Loran's the only one with an arguable case.

IBO also has a couple relationships shown to be working pretty well at the end. (Nice house, happy kids, stable jobs.) It's just, you know. It's a bit overshadowed by the bodycount.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say Turn A has several, what with Harry and Diana and Joseph and Frau. Loran's the only one with an arguable case.

Don't forget about Keith and Verlaine!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, IBO has Gaelio and Juiietta (assuming the paralysis was fixable - they did both seem fairly casual about it), Nadi and Merribit, and (implicitly) Yamagi and Chad. Kudelia and Atra are probably in the ‘too messy to qualify’ category.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Marie - allelujah seem stable.
Setsuna became gundam so he is happy. didn't he revitalize and marry Marina in the manga adaptation?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zedd posted:

Marie - allelujah seem stable.
Setsuna became gundam so he is happy. didn't he revitalize and marry Marina in the manga adaptation?

And, of course, Patrick and Kati. Saji and Louise seemed to work out in the end, even if they went through a lot of crap.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I like to think that Kati made Patrick take her name instead of the other way around because being known as Mrs. The Immortal Coulasour is much too embarrassing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

I like to think that Kati made Patrick take her name instead of the other way around because being known as Mrs. The Immortal Coulasour is much too embarrassing.

I can’t help but suspect he suggested it. Dude know she who wears the pants in their relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Darth Walrus posted:

And, of course, Patrick and Kati. Saji and Louise seemed to work out in the end, even if they went through a lot of crap.

I'll be honest, Saji and Louise was the only thing I really cared about in 00 Season 2.