Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mantees posted:

For some reasons I feel like I want to play a game with interensting looting and progression, and that also has good gameplay.

I have identified so far Warframe, Diablo3, Path of Exile, Destiny 2 and World of Warcraft.

Anyone here who has some knowledge on these games and can advise?

Warframe is a very weird game with a ton of obtuse mechanics but its pretty fun in a broken sort of way once you get going.

D3 has better monster clicking, PoE has better character building (and is just an all around better game imo). PoE has a much higher learning curve though so that's a factor.

Destiny 2 I thought had just a laughably bad story and is overall pretty content sparse for a full price AAA game, but the shooting feels dope and the production values are undeniably high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

as far as 2017 vs 2016 goes, AAA wise it's probably been better but i wouldn't know too much about that since all I have played AAA wise are BOTW and Mario Odyssey, and a little of Splatoon 2. even though I do have a PS4 i didn't get any 2017 AAA title for it

indie wise it's a step back from 2016, but only because 2016 was probably the most prolific year ever. there's still amazing stuff in 2017 like hollow knight and night in the woods but 2016 had wuppo and the witness and stardew valley and RIVE and copy kitty and steins;gate and firewatch and epistory and seraph and THOTH and oxenfree and bot vice and princess remedy and creepy castle and abzu and superhot and eyes of ara and virginia and event[0] and devil daggers and rabi-ribi and stephen's sausage roll and thumper and the turing test and momodora 4 and obduction and aragami and headlander and pharaoh rebirth and stories the path of destinies and furi and GAME OF THE YEAR HEART'S MEDICINE TIME TO HEAL

I bought oxenfree today I hope it's good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I got my copy of Viva Pinata PC in the mail. Boot it up, find out I can't actually create a save file because that's connected to GFWL. But Microsoft doesn't actually seem to support GFWL on PC anymore. So I'm stuck with a game where I can't actually save any progress because its tied to an online function I wouldn't even be using.

Disappointing :sigh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

So I got my copy of Viva Pinata PC in the mail. Boot it up, find out I can't actually create a save file because that's connected to GFWL. But Microsoft doesn't actually seem to support GFWL on PC anymore. So I'm stuck with a game where I can't actually save any progress because its tied to an online function I wouldn't even be using.

Disappointing :sigh:

Theres probably a mod out there

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The right answer is probably just get a crack

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

The right answer is probably just get a crack

I don't even know what that means.

I'm doing some googling and apparently there are ways to get it to work but I'm not optimistic since I'm terrible at doing this stuff. This is more effort than I expected from playing babby pinata game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even know what that means.
A crack lets you play a game without its DRM.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What a world we live in, where buying games legitimately is so easy that people forgot how to crack.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
La Mulana 2 is definitely doing Kickstarter updates right. A while ago he said "okay, we're far enough along now that I don't want to say anything detailed and spoil you all" so now every month he just sends out an out-of-context screenshot and says "still at work". It's great! Just sending out anything at all helps a lot.

And the game is looking very far along too and I am excited about it a lot.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 17, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

keep cracking alive

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

What a world we live in, where buying games legitimately is so easy that people forgot how to crack.
The 2000's really were the dark age of PC gaming.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samuringa posted:

TBH I used to pirate a lot of poo poo but the future world of cyber crime is too scary for me now. I don't wanna get no russian mafia bitcoin virus

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Evil Within 2, Prey and Wolfenstein 2 are 50% off each during the Xboner Black Friday Sale (maybe PSN too soon). They're good 2017 video games so get them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

and GAME OF THE YEAR HEART'S MEDICINE TIME TO HEAL

gently caress yeah!!

I read this article about that game but imo that article can go f itself because heart's medicine is a good game and way better than just "premium mediocre."

https://heterogenoustasks.wordpress.com/2017/09/14/hearts-medicine-time-to-heal/

I know that genre isn't for everyone (and hell, to be honest, it isn't even for me, I don't play them, I'll just watch KCB play them) but I feel like the article kinda misses the point a little bit with the game. :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I was a kid my sister downloaded limewire and filled our old PC with so many viruses my dad decided to smash it with a sledgehammer. That made me wary of learning how to do any shady computer stuff.

Also I'm just stupid and don't understand it at all :downs:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Do some optional quests in Prey require a high level of repair/hacking/etc or am I just not seeing the alternate way around?

No. If you’ve found the toy gun it solves just about every switch puzzle you come across.

If not just put 1 point in mimic, you can move and jump while morphed into a coffee cup/binder/whatever.

Repair/leverage/hacking are just the boring straightforward ways of solving puzzles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

GUI posted:

The Evil Within 2, Prey and Wolfenstein 2 are 50% off each during the Xboner Black Friday Sale (maybe PSN too soon). They're good 2017 video games so get them.

Wow, Wolf 2 at half off already? The game will only have been out for like 3 weeks at that point...

Hope that doesn't mean it's under-performing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i want to believe that out there somewhere was a games journalist who picked up the huntress boltcaster in prey and then wrote an angry article about how it wasn't really a cool laser crossbow

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

i want to believe that out there somewhere was a games journalist who picked up the huntress boltcaster in prey and then wrote an angry article about how it wasn't really a cool laser crossbow

I'm pretty sure everyone enjoys the feeling of using an oversized crossbow and impaling enemies with spikes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

Prey 2017 is Appropriating My Childhood and That's Not Okay.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone enjoys the feeling of using an oversized crossbow and impaling enemies with spikes.

You, uh, didn't play Prey, did you?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i played Prey!

it had the dont fear the reaper song right?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ostentatious posted:

i played Prey!

it had the dont fear the reaper song right?

Correct

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my favorite thing about the huntress boltcaster was, you can turn the ammo into a lot of synthetic material to turn into shotgun shells

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Wow, Wolf 2 at half off already? The game will only have been out for like 3 weeks at that point...

Doom was already half off nearly a month after release and that did well, so who knows.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

GUI posted:

Doom was already half off nearly a month after release and that did well, so who knows.

There's rumors that Bethesda is not doing well but I don't really know. I hope not! I like a lot of their games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I bought oxenfree today I hope it's good
yeah it's good, i thought it did teen dialogue way better and more naturally/flowing than life is strange. the story beats are cool too. i haven't tried new game+ yet but i heard stuff changes in the second run

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Bethesda sued Facebook and won $500mil dollars, which owns a lot and I hope they can keep using that money to make games but I don't actually know how that works.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

an actual dog posted:

Bethesda sued Facebook and won $500mil dollars, which owns a lot and I hope they can keep using that money to make games but I don't actually know how that works.

As much of a fibber as Todd might be, I dislike manboy zuckerberg even more and this made me real happy.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

PantsBandit posted:

Bethesda's business plan:

Step 1: Make single-players games that push story-telling and inventive gameplay
Step 2: Don't nickle and dime players with microtransactions
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Don't make a profit

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zuck got so scammed by Oculus, they had him convinced that he was buying technology no one else could do but half the tech was Valve's and the other half was technically Bethesda's, and Sony was able to do most of what the Rift could do but on a console people actually owned. Their mobile VR thing crashed and burned too, cause Google was able to do it better.

It's not actually gonna negatively effect Zuck's life at all but I'll take what I can get.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
re release skyrum

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Bethesda is the company that tried to turn mods into microtransactions, let's not applaud them yet

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's a ton of reasons one can make for these games not selling millions, but Prey and Dishonored are part of a genre that was never popular, The Evil Within 2 is a sequel to a game that received mixed reception, and Wolfenstein was never a popular franchise and is a 15 hour (and that's being generous) game most people won't play more than once, which you could also apply to the other games mentioned here as well. It's not a surprise the sales aren't, supposedly, as good as they should have been despite the games being reviewed well.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
bethesd are just as predatory as other big game studios, they just put all drama on ZENIMAX to avpoid brand erosion

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

Bethesda is the company that tried to turn mods into microtransactions, let's not applaud them yet

Twice!

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Do some optional quests in Prey require a high level of repair/hacking/etc or am I just not seeing the alternate way around?

Some but have in mind these options: lifting heavy objects with the skill, glue gun for vertical movement this game loves hidden vents, and the recycle grenade can destroy lots of heavy objects you cant lift, look for sticky notes as they have a lot of passwords written down on them. But yeah repair is by far the most useful skill in the game as far as secrets go.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Please enjoy our self-aware comedy as we normalize the monetization and exploitation of fan labor :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Please enjoy our self-aware comedy as we normalize the monetization and exploitation of fan labor :)

doing it with skyrim made more sense cause at least people like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Fallout 4 is extremely popular and well liked despite the more hardcore crowd hating it.

• Locked thread