Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MikeCrotch posted:

In Cuba Libre Government basically has to win first propaganda or you're hosed. You might manage to pull something off by second prop but really it's a case of win early or not at all.

Yeah which is why this game was interesting for me - I got lucky on the cards and the Syndicate kept taking events which improved Aid and US support - I was still at 2 cost and 15 aid in the fourth quarter of the game! I had also managed to nearly completely obliterate 26 July - I killed their starting base when they were out of resources and kept them out of my cities, so for the last half of the game they were on a pass/rally loop with like two guerillas on the entire board, and they really only existed to harass me with bad event cards (which I was also often able to block by foregoing special activities).

I was trucking along nicely but the support threshold for the government is so very high and hard to maintain, even without yellow or red guerillas hanging out in the cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
If it isn't immediately obvious, the lightning rules are a joke from one of the ASL magazines published by the series publisher.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Yeah which is why this game was interesting for me - I got lucky on the cards and the Syndicate kept taking events which improved Aid and US support - I was still at 2 cost and 15 aid in the fourth quarter of the game! I had also managed to nearly completely obliterate 26 July - I killed their starting base when they were out of resources and kept them out of my cities, so for the last half of the game they were on a pass/rally loop with like two guerillas on the entire board, and they really only existed to harass me with bad event cards (which I was also often able to block by foregoing special activities).

I was trucking along nicely but the support threshold for the government is so very high and hard to maintain, even without yellow or red guerillas hanging out in the cities.

I think solo Govt is best done by camping the cities and Las Villas and then just sort of praying, but then again I've lost almost all of my Govt solo plays so that's probably a sign I'm wrong. Beating Syndicate as solo Govt is bullshit and if you get the event that sets Havana to neutral at the wrong time it's basically game over no matter what you do.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The COIN solitaire mode was really not fleshed out too well at the time of Cuba Libre. I'm only interested in playing it with 3 other people now.

Has anyone received Pendragon yet? My GMT order page says "Charging" but I never got any notification that my card has been charged. I feel like this means it could show up at my door anytime between this evening and January.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Anarchy Stocking posted:

If it isn't immediately obvious, the lightning rules are a joke from one of the ASL magazines published by the series publisher.

It's only a joke until my squad gets struck twice by lightning and berserks out

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

The COIN solitaire mode was really not fleshed out too well at the time of Cuba Libre. I'm only interested in playing it with 3 other people now.

Has anyone received Pendragon yet? My GMT order page says "Charging" but I never got any notification that my card has been charged. I feel like this means it could show up at my door anytime between this evening and January.

I got the charging email (and my credit card has been charged) but I'm still waiting on a shipping notice.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Anarchy Stocking posted:

And yet they are in the rulebook. Totally legal!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I got the charging email (and my credit card has been charged) but I'm still waiting on a shipping notice.

Just a heads up: I don't think I've ever received a shipping notice on any P-500.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah the only shipping notice I get is the charging notice. Then, you can login on their site and sometimes see tracking info in there but I think for all my P500's they all still say "Not Yet Shipped" but I've received them all so far.

Guess they're still working on that warehouse software update :v:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

When I can find three other people with an interest in COIN games I'll play it with them. I've only gotten to actually play CL with other people twice and one those we had to use Syndicate bot. I'm not optimistic about the future (and to be honest if I could get four I'd want to play Pericles or Falling Sky).

My Pendragon hasn't shipped yet, but it's been charged. So, maybe a couple weeks or next month I'd say? GMT is pretty good about these matters and once it's been charged the shipping soon follows.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

homullus posted:

Is Divine Right any good? I've been aware of it for decades but now would appreciate it more, I think. I had my girlfriend take a picture of the game shelves at a local Half Price Books and they have it there for either $25 or $75 (pic is blurry).

Oh yes. We played that a fair amount back in grade school. It's a much about heroes running around doing cool stuff as it is about armies. There's a tremendous amount of flavor in the setting and the characters. Just keep in mind it's an early 80s game and design has marched on.

Go for it immediately at $25, at $75 it depends on how much of a hit to your disposable income that is.

Whoever has the rights is leaving money on the table not Kickstarting a new edition.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Depending on its condition, that copy of DIVINE RIGHT might be a bona-fide collector's item.

Shame she didn't spot it a week ago - HPB had 40% and 50% off coupons last weekend.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't get a charging notice for Here I Stand, but it did show up on my credit card statement and on my doorstep.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Unconditional Surrender showed up out nowhere and still says shipping on the site.

I need to find time for Colonial Twilight. Soloing CL was too much and the bots a bit heavy to manage. I prefer it as a play all sides thing but you lose out on politics.

Colonial Twilights bot looks a bit more complex, its much easier to solo a mere two sides and if I can get one person to like it then I'm sure I can play other COIN games with them too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo I know this hobby has literal grognards so I should expect some grognards.txt but apparently there’s this article on the wargamers Facebook group talking about this post: http://wargamestuff.blogspot.ca/2016/12/a-brief-observation-of-casual-sexism.html?m=1

It’s triggering a lot of special snowflake grognards

CommonShore posted:

I didn't get a charging notice for Here I Stand, but it did show up on my credit card statement and on my doorstep.

Did you order the P500? I’m still waiting on my order from miniatures market. I would’ve ordered directly but the shipping is as much as another game and they had some choo choo games on sale

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All I had to do was read the headline to how grogs would react

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phi230 posted:

Quite frankly this is a non-issue. What is so bad about having a male only space? Men built this hobby, men maintain this hobby, men innovate in this hobby. Can't we go one day without running men down?

-An inferior grognard who doesn't play Simmons' games

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

Holy poo poo I know this hobby has literal grognards so I should expect some grognards.txt but apparently there’s this article on the wargamers Facebook group talking about this post: http://wargamestuff.blogspot.ca/2016/12/a-brief-observation-of-casual-sexism.html?m=1

It’s triggering a lot of special snowflake grognards

Did you order the P500? I’m still waiting on my order from miniatures market. I would’ve ordered directly but the shipping is as much as another game and they had some choo choo games on sale

Yeah I did order the p500.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Re: gender politics and wargames, my favourite part of No Question of Surrender is that it has two counters that represent Susan Travers and only one for Rommel

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Obfuscation posted:

Re: gender politics and wargames, my favourite part of No Question of Surrender is that it has two counters that represent Susan Travers and only one for Rommel

I really like games that have "hero" counters. I feel really "connected" to like D-Day at Peleliu because of Sledge and the rest of K/3/5 from reading With The Old Breed

On the other hand they're counted as heroes despite being just joe blow mortar man, but idgaf

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cool article about EWar in Red Storm.

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=17949

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I waited too long and when I went to NWS to buy Totaler Krieg they were out of stock and he isn’t gonna carry it anymore.

He was charging $76 vs DG’s $120.

:(

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Phi230 posted:

The best part about wargames is I don't have to play/interact with these people because I can just play solo :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I waited too long and when I went to NWS to buy Totaler Krieg they were out of stock and he isn’t gonna carry it anymore.

He was charging $76 vs DG’s $120.

:(

My friend have you heard of used games

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

My friend have you heard of used games

My friend if you want a hearty lol check out how much they're asking for used game that's still in print.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Cool article about EWar in Red Storm.

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=17949

I've been working on the playtest with this and it's amazing. Great rule book and the setting is right up my alley:

In case anyone is looking for monster cold war games check out this blog:

https://warwithoutkia.blogspot.com/2017/07/1985-under-iron-sky-overview.html

Looks like these guys are doing The Next War over with modern components, one to watch for sure.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chill la Chill posted:

Quite frankly this is a non-issue. What is so bad about having a male only space? Men built this hobby

You might be surprised.

Back in the days before WWII naval wargaming was a popular pastime, arguably having more public visibility than wargaming has today.

Fletcher Pratt would rent ball-rooms and players would push around model ships. Fletcher's wife was an active organizer, and about half of the participants were women:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Haha line of sight always sucked

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
So what happened? Did WW2 suddenly make masculinity toxic and by reference only neckbeards continued with the hobby, pushing everyone else out?
Where did it all go to shite?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Mr.Misfit posted:

So what happened? Did WW2 suddenly make masculinity toxic and by reference only neckbeards continued with the hobby, pushing everyone else out?
Where did it all go to shite?

Wargaming as we know it mostly picked up in the 1960s. By that point it was Cold War and Baby Boomers driving things.

I want to make a comparison between the dudes pushing panzers in the den back then and gamer gate bros etc. getting angry on the internet now but don't know how to approach it. Anyway when they grow up and get into the industry themselves they bring a bunch of crap with them.

Speaking of game history here's the pic that supposedly started it all.

Here's another interesting bit: http://chrisbaer.net/mp/2008/11/21/life-goes-to-wargames/

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Cessna posted:

You might be surprised.

Back in the days before WWII naval wargaming was a popular pastime, arguably having more public visibility than wargaming has today.

Fletcher Pratt would rent ball-rooms and players would push around model ships. Fletcher's wife was an active organizer, and about half of the participants were women:

Chill la Chill was ironically quoting a terrible opinion from the comments section of the article.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Myth of the Eastern Front book has a great section on wargaming.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone checked out 878 Vikings yet? Tempted to pick it up for some friends getting into wargaming, wondering if it would be a good introductory game?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Carbolic posted:

Chill la Chill was ironically quoting a terrible opinion from the comments section of the article.

yeah but i learned something and it's a cool photo so let it slide

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Since Gloomhaven is arriving in a few days, I spent today playing the two-player variant of Here I Stand. I screwed up a few rules--notably that reformers can't ever leave their home space, which became clear during the Winter phase after I shipped Luther all over Germany for his conversion bonus and realized there was no controlled fortified space for him to return to. The wording of the variant rule for Papal Bull is also too vague--it says you can only use it to excommunicate leaders during the Diplomacy phase. So is that the only way you can ever use the event, or can you still excommunicate reformers during the Action phase? (The answer turns out to be the latter.)

Despite my screwups, it was fun. This is my first bucket o' dice game since playing Axis & Allies in my youth. But I can definitely see that it's more of a wild, complex experience generator than a mechanically tight CDG.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Did a playthrough of South Pacific; and honestly, I'm not particularly impressed. Losing the scope of Empire of the Sun, and "zooming in" makes for an OK introductory game, but without the strategic considerations and the fine balancing act of fighting on multiple fronts, it doesn't really do it. The game is also horrifically unbalanced; I'm not sure what the Japanese can do to win; at the very best, they might be able to fight the Allies to a draw, but they just don't have enough ground steps to actually defend where the allies are going to attack, and I think it's more likely that they'll just... lose.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CaptainRightful posted:

Since Gloomhaven is arriving in a few days, I spent today playing the two-player variant of Here I Stand. I screwed up a few rules--notably that reformers can't ever leave their home space, which became clear during the Winter phase after I shipped Luther all over Germany for his conversion bonus and realized there was no controlled fortified space for him to return to. The wording of the variant rule for Papal Bull is also too vague--it says you can only use it to excommunicate leaders during the Diplomacy phase. So is that the only way you can ever use the event, or can you still excommunicate reformers during the Action phase? (The answer turns out to be the latter.)

Despite my screwups, it was fun. This is my first bucket o' dice game since playing Axis & Allies in my youth. But I can definitely see that it's more of a wild, complex experience generator than a mechanically tight CDG.

I've been thinking about doing that - is there a good rules summary/reference out there?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Carbolic posted:

Yeah, that's what I get for posting while tired. My apologies, Chill.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cessna posted:

Yeah, that's what I get for posting while tired. My apologies, Chill.

The picture and history blurb is really cool. I thought you were just posting it as an FYI.

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, somehow I'm still stoked for getting HIS and looking forward to playing it more than twilight imperium (since my friend will want to play it with 6). IDK why, the descriptions both sound like pure ameritrash :shrug: but I think the CDG is a huge part of it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

Anyone checked out 878 Vikings yet? Tempted to pick it up for some friends getting into wargaming, wondering if it would be a good introductory game?

Someone posted in here or the board games thread that the base was fine but the components were subpar or something..