Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A massive holiday ship sale extravaganza. Color me surprised

I bet even Ben makes a reprisal role as chief ship shill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Loxbourne posted:

Cymelion, Cymelion, Cymelion. You are so close. Soooooo close.

You're trying so hard. You're performing all the Stations of the CRoberts as hard as you can. You're pouring scorn on the unbelievers and the goons and the refunders with all your heart, and I think your faith is genuine. But the blessing never comes. The Evocati invite never materialises.

Listen to your anger, Cymelion. The feeling of being shut out. The fear that CIG are sneering at you, that the Evocati are an unjustly-promoted elite who only got their posts by somehow being more faithful than you in ways you don't understand.

You just have to make that last leap of logic. To realise that all that matters to CIG is your money. They don't care how faithful you are, how loyal, how dedicated. They just want you to buy more ships. You're not in the Evocati because you aren't a whale they need to keep happy.

Because I'm very sorry to say your worst deep-down fear is true. CIG just don't care about you enough to give you Evocati access, because all your loyalty and defence of the faith is just what they expect from their fans. To truly stand out, to truly be recognised as the elite, there is only one thing you can do and that is Buy More Ships.

One day you are going to realise this. Realise that all CIG care about is the golden glow coming from your wallet. That the thing you are missing is simply a willingness to stack more purchases on your credit card. Not faith, not friendship, not great deeds in defence of Star Citizen...not anything except that ker-ching. That will be very painful for you and you will be very angry on that day.

But not to worry. r/starcitizen_refunds will be waiting for you. Despite all the horrible things you've said about them in the past. Back when you were hoping that surely, surely owning those filthy refunders would have to get you recognised by CIG this time. Because unlike you, they aren't doing it in the hope of catching the eye of some supreme being.

That last little leap, Cymelion. Just step out onto the precipice...and ask yourself who, really, you're actually angry at right now and why.
If I need someone to write villainous dialogue I know where to find the perfect tone.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nyast posted:

Well even if they fix the eyes projection and the HUD somehow works, the real, real big thing is: how do you make it run at a decent framerate ?

They can barely run at 30-60 fps in 1080p, and that's with a top-end computer. VR requires far more power. Ideally 90 Hz per eye; so unless they reached 180 fps in 1080p.. yeah they're never going to reach a half-decent framerate in VR.

.. unless they wait another decade for computers and video cards to catch up.

That's all accurate, and also about 1% of what's wrong. The other 99% of the problem is Chris Roberts, "Director", thinks games are movies and he simulates what your perspective is by basically taping a camera to your forehead. Every headbob, every time he takes control of the camera, every immersion animation is a one-way trip to vomitsville.

The first, second, and third rule of VR game development is "never take visual control away from the headset." The only, ONLY time the headset view should move is if the player's head moves. The moment you break that rule, you've just failed to make a VR game.

Chris "Hollywood Director" Roberts will never give camera control away - you might miss his autistic definition of "immersion". His marriage works because he's glued to the back of the camera and Sandi is glued to the front. Neither should be anywhere near one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nyast posted:

The old turds, like me, pledged during the campaign in 2012. The young (and naive) ones are the ones currently funding the dream IMO.
gently caress dude it's our generation of nostalgia gamers, don't try to pin poo poo on "kids these days".

Twenty year olds don't know who Roberts is and don't give a gently caress. Wing Commander is a dead franchise young people were born after the death of. Roberts has zero meaningful accomplishments since then.

Kids are buying loot crates, giving billions to Pokemon Go and yelling about the hypothetical gender of a new hero in OW.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

That's all accurate, and also about 1% of what's wrong. The other 99% of the problem is Chris Roberts, "Director", thinks games are movies and he simulates what your perspective is by basically taping a camera to your forehead. Every headbob, every time he takes control of the camera, every immersion animation is a one-way trip to vomitsville.

The first, second, and third rule of VR game development is "never take visual control away from the headset." The only, ONLY time the headset view should move is if the player's head moves. The moment you break that rule, you've just failed to make a VR game.

Chris "Hollywood Director" Roberts will never give camera control away - you might miss his autistic definition of "immersion". His marriage works because he's glued to the back of the camera and Sandi is glued to the front. Neither should be anywhere near one.
God drat. God drat.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I've had a question for a while: Assuming they declare 3.0 the MVP in an attempt to justify denying refunds, what if the ship you bought-- sorry: freely donated without expectation of reciprocation-- isn't implemented in 3.0? How could they laughably justify denying a refund on having delivered a product that doesn't include the feature you specifically bought-- pledged for?

How many ships actually are implemented now and will be added in 3.0?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Thing is, as was proven back when they came "clean" and posted a massive list of bugs, they are STILL withholding the true amount of issues in the project. Which means, given how massive 3.0 is, there are probably 1000+ bugs in there, added to the 3000+ still in 2.6.3

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

ROFL I forgot. I hope it doesn't happen again...

Certain people (like you) are exempt from those rules, since they tend not to pay any attention to those rear end-clowns anyway, let alone quote them often.

----------------

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Roflan posted:

I've had a question for a while: Assuming they declare 3.0 the MVP in an attempt to justify denying refunds, what if the ship you bought-- sorry: freely donated without expectation of reciprocation-- isn't implemented in 3.0? How could they laughably justify denying a refund on having delivered a product that doesn't include the feature you specifically bought-- pledged for?

They are depending on the inherent reluctance of people to get involved in the legal system. Most will look at amount spent vs effort/legal fees required to recover and write it off/rationalize it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I'm not sure it's a perfect crime, you'll have thousands of mentally ill fleet owners all over the world out for blood. Also you'd need to be somewhat competent at perfectly legally extracting millions from the various different companies over the years. However the senior management at CIG have never struck me as being competent at anything so I'm hopeful they did something really dumb that the authorities might take an interest in.

But yes, going bust does solve most of their problems.

Right. I mean, people are suing them in the UK over less than $1000 and getting their refund. So I fully expect that they will get sued into oblivion - by everyone. And given the nature of the project funding, there are so many ways to pierce the corporate veil and get directly at ALL the execs, it's not even funny. And THAT'S when the extent of what they've done will be reveal.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

The bandwidth and compute costs for 3.0 is going to really hurt CIG if it ever does go public. It's so poorly optimized that even a handful of players would cost them hundreds or even thousands of dollars per day. They'll need a corresponding increase monthly revenue just to make up for it. I think they'll be introducing a manditory subscription fee around the same time.

Yup. That's my feeling as well. And I said so since they announced they were going to use cloud servers for a loving real-time MMO game.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Roflan posted:

I am not aware of any new ships coming in 3.0

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I am laughing so hard right now.

Star Citizen's Voyager Direct is as anti-consumer as EA's microtransaction systems in Battlefront 2. Why does it still exist?

----------------

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Roflan posted:

They've already done it. The backers have been told 3.0 is MVP by CR and multiple devs, and will be followed up with quarterly updates next year.

CIG don't have to justify anything because they have a cult army parked on reddit who have been justifying it to themselves and each other for years.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

A massive holiday ship sale extravaganza. Color me surprised

I bet even Ben makes a reprisal role as chief ship shill

If the November sale doesn't please, you just wait till you see the unbelievable ships we'll be selling in December*.

*Limited time offer**
**In-stock

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
How many "alpha" backers are there in total? Approximately? And they can only get like 20-30 people on a server at a time and not have it blow up?

This is going to be great

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Roflan posted:

I think at that point the conversation changes. Right now the easiest way to get a refund is to argue that they have delivered nothing so therefore any purchase from them is refundable.

I'm not sure if CIG intends to use 3.0 as grounds to completely eliminate refunds or if they are hoping to turn the relatively easy process of saying "I received nothing, I want everything back." into a mess of "They claim they gave me U and V comes with it but I want W and X back, Y is included with U too, but I also want Z back."

Once they "release" "something" and can rules lawyer the situation into being that they have officially released a product and are free from the obligation of refunding for non-delivery then people seeking refunds will have to shift to the specific items in question making it easier for CIG to stall them and discourage refunds by the process becoming more convoluted.

They already argue the clear objective fact they are legally required to provide refunds so imagine what they can do by throwing a dozen different ways to argue into the mix.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I guess I'm not world weary enough to accept both people trying such a stupid scam and being so stupid as to fall for it... I guess that's why I follow this thread.

*laments loss of /incel thread*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think at that point the conversation changes. Right now the easiest way to get a refund is to argue that they have delivered nothing so therefore any purchase from them is refundable.

I'm not sure if CIG intends to use 3.0 as grounds to completely eliminate refunds or if they are hoping to turn the relatively easy process of saying "I received nothing, I want everything back." into a mess of "They claim they gave me U and V comes with it but I want W and X back, Y is included with U too, but I also want Z back."

Once they "release" "something" and can rules lawyer the situation into being that they have officially released a product and are free from the obligation of refunding for non-delivery then people seeking refunds will have to shift to the specific items in question making it easier for CIG to stall them and discourage refunds by the process becoming more convoluted.

They already argue the clear objective fact they are legally required to provide refunds so imagine what they can do by throwing a dozen different ways to argue into the mix.

Imagine how much funds are required to process a $30 original backer fee.

It's a multiplier.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

“I don't think there is any other game that is trying to do as much as we're trying to do. So, degree of difficulty 11, not 10.”

Everything is difficulty level 11 when you’re a dumbass. Even moreso when you’re a dumbass who sees a genius looking back at you in the mirror.

I’ve come to appreciate the true genius of “Around the Verse” and related programming isn’t in the intimate look at Development, for as we see with dozens of abandoned prior efforts and misleading disclosures over the years, the view is anything but privileged or trustworthy.

The true genius of CIG programming is in its metronomic, anondyne normalization / sanitization of their absolute, inarguable developmental dysfunction.

“Burndown” captures that spirit so perfectly, with the agreeable Eric Davis putting a friendly (if somewhat patronizing at times) face on what would otherwise be seen as salt-on-the-wound proof of CIG’s abject inability to overcome the curse of the Frankenengine, to deliver upon the hubristic claims of Chris Roberts, to prioritize the core space sim essentials (designing satisfying game loops, perfecting flight models, fleshing out those basic features pitched five years ago, etc.) and all the rest.

The Sean Tracy NewEgg livestream I dropped in earlier is the same thing. Sean went right on that show and delivered a complete fiction of the present game state with absolutely no hesitation whatsoever, just as his exemplar leader has done for years with bald-faced bullcrap like this, this, and this.

Lies. Massive lies. Constant lies. And continuum of lying so persistent and inescapable it actually becomes immersive.

Normalization of managerial deviance — and pathological public dishonesty is exactly that, CIG — is just as effectively achieved via their programming. The quote above from 10ftC delivered with benign confidence is itself an example of it. The message as delivered is, contrary to all the early bluster and constant mugging confidence, a concession of an anticipated failure to deliver on original scope promises all sugar-coated in Chris’s noxious entitlement. For though he has no plans to deliver what he originally pitched, he has expectations of perpetual subsidy from the chump army to get there, or partly there, or somewhere eventually.

And wherever he’s standing when the money finally runs out will be declared the destination. The journey itself — one of a portly goofball false prophet staggering, stumbling, gasping for breath, leading the exiles through the wilderness without map, compass, or North Star and spouting constant word of the Promised Land over yon horizon — will be declared their promised home and those still following may even believe it. Yet what Chris will no longer enjoy, and indeed what he has already lost, is control of his own narrative. The early years allowed him to project a narrative arc about himself, his game and his studio that was readily believed by most, even many goons, and his claims were repeated breathlessly as fact by the supplicant gaming press eager to amplify hype for the easy clicks.

Those days are long since behind us and they aren’t coming back. The narrative of ascent once so forceful and certain is in now very clearly in terminal decay, a slow downward spiral towards yet another cautionary gaming tale about squandered opportunities and abused trust. About the perils of trusting micromanging asset fetishists and the tragic, underappreciated virtues of proper scope design and competent project management. Chris had a chance to make history here, perhaps the most opportune chance in this history of gaming. And through deficits of both competence and character, he absolutely blew it, and the price he will pay for his hubris, deceit, greed and stupidity is that the history he could’ve written will instead be written for him.

The best he can hope for at this point is that some salvageable mediocrity survives and that he’s cast as fool in an epic tale of gaming folly. It would be a generous appraisal and it’s more truly stated that any man who profits so handsomely by lying so often for so long is a villain at heart. His only plausible defense is one he lacks the self-awareness and humility to make — that he was lying to himself the whole time, too, and because he so normalized the act of lying to himself, his employees and his backers, and because he drove away the very sorts he needed to call him out, there was no one left to correct him.

Good post, friend. I readily agree. The sycophants who actually support the project are not so great, amplified here because we keep quoting the same group of like 6 people over and over again.

Most people have given up, and no longer care. Really even we are helping to drive in a few diminishing sales just by people who want to be part of the dumpster fire and want to see it themselves.

If we stopped talking about it, and Derek gave up and moved on to something else, there’d be nothin to defend anymore. Really the last few vestiges of hold out would probably eat each other and start a new battle against CIG over how silly the avocado testing is and how it’s not what Chris promised everybody.

They just don’t go full on because they wrongly believe that would make them no worse than the goons they hate because we don’t have a problem saying “wow, this stupid thing actually is really stupid. It’s also a total lie as evidenced by what Chris himself told everybody. Here’s links to where he said exactly these things.”

Right now it’s still an “us vs them” war, but I think it’s starting to lessen. Once the “us vs them” is gone it’d turn into a “players vs CIG” which is what shouhave happened for a long time.

The irony of the situation may be though is that these supporters who were literally insane abt their support to the point they shielded CIG like frothing monkeys around a banana, may have ultimately hurt the final product.

Imagine if you would when CR went out and started doing tons of motion capture instead of actually making a game years ago, if funding basically stopped and people said “no, gently caress you and playing director and your stupid loving Squadron 42 nobody really wants, we want the game we’re spending $$$ on in the way of digital items and purchases.”

Imagine how differently things would have been if that happened, and Chris Roberts was forced to stop being a playboy millionaire and instead try to actually make a game. Instead of a Gary Oldman you’d have a studio full of seasoned programmers working on the actual product.

But hey, got to protect Chris, right? It was totally worth it, I’m sure. :shepspends:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Roflan posted:

I don't think it's as large a problem as you'd expect. If you follow the streamers for any length of time their interest in a ship declines as CIG stops talking about it and moves to the next thing. As CIG stops talking about every ship after it's sale is over and begins hyping the next dumb idea this leads to the Citizens melting older jpgs and buying new ones. Twerk17 recently melted some dumb rear end large battleship thing I forget the name of, for the new base building jpg.

They sold the Banu merchantman for $250 in 2013, I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of them have been melted into credits spent on some other new daft thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nyast posted:

Well even if they fix the eyes projection and the HUD somehow works, the real, real big thing is: how do you make it run at a decent framerate ?

They can barely run at 30-60 fps in 1080p, and that's with a top-end computer. VR requires far more power. Ideally 90 Hz per eye; so unless they reached 180 fps in 1080p.. yeah they're never going to reach a half-decent framerate in VR.

.. unless they wait another decade for computers and video cards to catch up.

It's not even just that really, you can have a great time in the Rift at 45 fps, Star Citizen can't even get near that.
No, the thing that killed it stone dead for me, and what made me want to insta vomit was Chris's loving visions and design choices. You can optimise a games performance, you can't optimise stupid

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

So what you're saying is, star citizen is good?

I’m playing it now. It’s p good. :shepspends:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/931285227799842817

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Scruffpuff posted:

Of course those animations don't work in VR. But disabling them isn't hard. In fact you could easily fade to black and make the camera jump into the ship / cockpit / whatever. Of course that wouldn't align with CR's "vision", but all I'm saying is that at least there's an easy and cheap-to-implement solution to that problem. On the other hand, solving the framerate.. there's no solution to that. You either accept the current sub-par framerate and the induced headache/nausea, either wait until hardware catches up. I don't believe for one second they'll be able to optimize the engine/assets to reach a much higher framerate.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/931666830074228736

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AP posted:

I don't think it's as large a problem as you'd expect. If you follow the streamers for any length of time their interest in a ship declines as CIG stops talking about it and moves to the next thing. As CIG stops talking about every ship after it's sale is over and begins hyping the next dumb idea this leads to the Citizens melting older jpgs and buying new ones. Twerk17 recently melted some dumb rear end large battleship thing I forget the name of, for the new base building jpg.
Wait wait.

You can't fly most of these ships and I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the mechanics to even make these ships in game. But you can buy them, obviously, and process your fictional jpeg into some form of currency?

This thread is seriously like a slowly circling motorboat around the greatest wreck in the history of gaming. I know this poo poo is all old to regulars, but I still hit things every week I've been reading that make me sit up and goggle at the screen.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

They look so very, very tired and run down. Must be all those important crunches till midnight they've been doing almost every day for the last few years.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Omniblivion posted:

How many "alpha" backers are there in total?

This reminded me of the time they announced that alpha slots would be limited, and encouraged people to buy in (and buy accounts for reluctant/disinterested friends) before the ticker reached zero.

What ever happened with that?

e: don't harsh Dr. Smart's mellow, bro

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 18, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Thing is, as was proven back when they came "clean" and posted a massive list of bugs, they are STILL withholding the true amount of issues in the project. Which means, given how massive 3.0 is, there are probably 1000+ bugs in there, added to the 3000+ still in 2.6.3

Wrong.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

peter gabriel posted:

It's not even just that really, you can have a great time in the Rift at 45 fps, Star Citizen can't even get near that.
No, the thing that killed it stone dead for me, and what made me want to insta vomit was Chris's loving visions and design choices. You can optimise a games performance, you can't optimise stupid

Which vision and design choices ?

SC at the moment is like the Frankenstein monster. Everybody has a different idea in his mind of what the game is going to be.

You can litterally go anywhere and see Star citizen fans making GBS threads on Elite: Dangerous for downtime, lack of action, and overall "being a borefest".

And in the same community, other fans defending the 8-minutes quantum-drive we saw a month ago, saying they don't want travel to be too fast, because it's more immersive and they want to experience the real thing in realtime.

The disconnect in the community is absolutely hilarious. It's gonna be really interesting the day they're gonna reconcile dreams with reality.. assuming it ever gets to that stage.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Certain people (like you) are exempt from those rules, since they tend not to pay any attention to those rear end-clowns anyway, let alone quote them often.

Translation: if he ignored you, he’d have no content to post on his blog.

Also lol at “rules”

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

The other VR issue they would have to tackle is how to handle FPS combat. It's unlikely they would add motion controller support just due to the immense amount of work involved with that. Every interactable object would need to be redesigned to activate based on the player interacting with it using the VR controller. You can't even carry a box properly right now, so carrying a box using VR motion controls seems like a long shot, not to mention all the animation issues and balance issues like VR players shooting around walls and other quirks. That leaves you with gamepad controls and aiming with your face, like a mobile VR game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That tweet makes it sound like that one system is the entire "verse" which wouldn't even be a tiny bit shocking.

It would be a poo poo ton of lols though.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
that star wars game is the best since super empire, and that's saying something

also I platinumed assassins creed origins and that was a loving long rear end game around 80 hours or so and I'm still high as balls from the surgery this week so back to video games I guess

in star citizen news,

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nyast posted:

Which vision and design choices ?

From the moment you awkwardly stumble out of your wank pod to the moment you fly off into space dead. All of it. It's all poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Spiderdrake posted:

Wait wait.

You can't fly most of these ships and I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the mechanics to even make these ships in game. But you can buy them, obviously, and process your fictional jpeg into some form of currency?

This thread is seriously like a slowly circling motorboat around the greatest wreck in the history of gaming. I know this poo poo is all old to regulars, but I still hit things every week I've been reading that make me sit up and goggle at the screen.

lol

Wait until you begin wrapping your head around cross chassis upgrade tokens, and how you can hoard them, and how they can magic LTI onto new ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

People find offence at a picture of an elephant.

That's bloody elephantaphobia, that's what that is.