Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

I think had they named the stages heats, no one would give it a second thought.

I consider the stages to be a fairer version of debris cautions. They're blatantly there to make sure the race doesn't go too long under green but unlike debris yellows, everyone knows when they're coming out so you can't just randomly get screwed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's nice that bullshit debris cautions are dramatically down this year as well too :thunk:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

exploded mummy posted:

It's nice that bullshit debris cautions are dramatically down this year as well too :thunk:

I almost stopped watching in 2015 entirely cuz of them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

wicka posted:

I’ve never personally understood the logic behind making winning a NASCAR title so dependent on winning a single race, when there’s so much that can happen in those races that’s entirely out of your control. It just doesn’t strike me as a good way to determine who’s actually good at stock car racing.

They took a concept borrowed from a children's movie and slapped the tag :siren: GAME 7 MOMENTS :siren: on it.

quote:

In a world populated by anthropomorphic vehicles, the last race of the Piston Cup championship ends in a three-way tie between retiring veteran Strip "The King" Weathers, infamous runner-up Chick Hicks, and rookie Lightning McQueen. The tiebreaker race is scheduled for one week later at the Los Angeles International Speedway in California.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 13, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did anyone else actually watch less racing because of the stages? I don’t even turn most races on until the third stage starts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wicka posted:

Did anyone else actually watch less racing because of the stages? I don’t even turn most races on until the third stage starts.

I pretty much stopped watching altogether because of them. It's a gimmick too far for me:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I "watch" most races by listening to the audio while I do other poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I honestly don't understand how someone can be fine with debris yellows but not be OK with stages, but everyone has their own tastes.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'd be fine with stages. I finally gave up when the went to playoffs and way overemphasized the championship.

I can't imagine how someone totally new could get into NASCAR in 2017. How do you even begin to learn enough to understand what you're watching?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I am also in the stages are better than phantom debris camp.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think it's one thing when the debris cautions were for a hot dog wrapper, and it's another when there's a legit chunk of something out there. There was a debris caution during the Indy 500 this year, and first thoughts were "what is this, NAS- oh, that's a huge piece of carbon fiber, never mind!"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I honestly don't understand how someone can be fine with debris yellows but not be OK with stages, but everyone has their own tastes.

I’m fine with neither. Just let them race. Sometimes races will be boring. There are like 40 of them. Deal with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

in a vacuum, idgaf one way or the other about stages. the problem i have is that it's another non-solution to the deeper problem of nascar races being terrible because the cars are terrible.

iospace posted:

Apart from removing the splitters, what would you suggest to improve the on-track action then?

And yeah, I know "more short tracks" is a thing (and I wish it was).

get rid of most/all the downforce, make the tires wider for more mechanical grip and much softer for more falloff.

more short tracks isn't even the magic bullet because places like atlanta and texas were good with the old banana cars. look at what made that work and emulate it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Harveygod posted:

I'd be fine with stages. I finally gave up when the went to playoffs and way overemphasized the championship.

Basically this. Stages are a decent idea on their own, and they were fine for the first 26 races. But it makes the whole playoff fuckiness even more hosed. It was one thing when having a problem in a chase race and drop 20-30 points. But with stages, you can now have a problem early in a race, and instead of dropping 20 and it being very hard to make that up, but instead can easily lose 40 or more points and it be all but impossible. Which, as someone pointed out, means one bit of poor luck and timing and season over.

Which, ok, Football playoffs you have one bad game and playoff over as well. But the 49ers aren't making the playoffs just because they won a single game either. Also, one single bad play doesn't mean the game is automatically lost either.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Slickdrac posted:

Which, ok, Football playoffs you have one bad game and playoff over as well. But the 49ers aren't making the playoffs just because they won a single game either. Also, one single bad play doesn't mean the game is automatically lost either.

And they don't have to play the other 20 teams that didn't make the playoffs, while they are in the playoffs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wasn’t it last year where they had a really good low downforce package? What the hell happened to that?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

wicka posted:

Wasn’t it last year where they had a really good low downforce package? What the hell happened to that?

Give teams a few races and they'll find ways to claw back aero and find little tricks and on top of that Kyle and MTJ dominating 2nd half of the season but a hamper on some of the different winners. This year, I've just been in the habit of tuning in with about 30 laps to go depending how everyone is reacting in discord. With Gordon gone and Jr leaving and not doing that well I don't have that much of a motivation to watch since I know first 3/4 of the race is just getting to the last 1/4 to race except for the last laps of the stages. I think the stages are fine and the points for it are fine once you can grasp what is going on. I think what would help is to have track diversity which lets get something that isn't 1.5 mile cookie cutter, but powers that be won't allow that unless they do what Charlotte did and do a road course. That I will watch just for chaos it could bring.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

even just pruning the schedule would help. there are not a lot of tracks that i think nascar needs to be at twice a year. go down to 30 races, replace some of the second dates with different tracks that are not on the schedule and axe others entirely, and have the series wrap up its season earlier.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kid c post the schedule

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, have a new CyTube thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840496

Also, CFS, if you want to promote the Twitch NT2003 series in there, go for it. I'll add a link to the OP.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-jtg-daugherty-ups-engineering-2018-978472/

JTG allying with Hendrick in some form or another.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Whoever this guy called Eddie Gossage out for being a POS on Twitter, which yielded me this gem:

https://twitter.com/ASManess/status/930208785532051456

...and I can't even process it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

A nice tribute I think.

https://twitter.com/budweiserusa/status/930423755133857792

Shame people are going to be noticing the 8 and the "E/3 pinstripes" had to be censored because Teresa has to be petty.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm gonna start nascar thunder 2003 in about 10 minutes. come hang out maybe.

https://www.twitch.tv/cannotfindserver

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/145726-earnhardt-fan-celebrates-driver-in-ink

Hmm so where have we seen that back tattoo?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

:barf::barf::barf:

Not to sound like my dad, but what is that going to look like in 20 years?

E: of course if it makes her happy that is what is important but I am not of the opinion that tattoos of cars or faces go on or age very well.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
In actual racing news, Gibbs signed Ryan Preece on for 10 Xfinity races next season, sharing the 18 with the JGR cup drivers. As a big modified fan, I'm pumped to see him get more races in a good car, but I don't know how I feel about having to root for the 18.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Somebody convince her to get that 'Reflections of Dad' deviantart as a tattoo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Danica just retired.

She'll only run Daytona and the Indy 500 next year supposedly.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Danica just retired.

She'll only run Daytona and the Indy 500 next year supposedly.

If she gets a good ride and gets the 500 pole, we can now safely say NASCAR is using qualifying to get publicity.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Somebody has to get the Jr plate.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hell loving yes Bell :hellyeah:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good on Danica if she can get a sponsor to pony up for Daytona, but where is she going to land a competitive car for one race? HMS, JGR, SHR are all full. Maybe Roush because their plate stuff has been good, even though Roush said they had no interest in putting Danica and Ricky on the same team ever?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Good on Danica if she can get a sponsor to pony up for Daytona, but where is she going to land a competitive car for one race? HMS, JGR, SHR are all full. Maybe Roush because their plate stuff has been good, even though Roush said they had no interest in putting Danica and Ricky on the same team ever?

Rumor is that she’ll be driving for Ganassi at Indy, so maybe them at Daytona as well?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Watching some old Jr races this weekend. Getting started on Texas 2000, and seeing Kevin Lepage's worthless rear end on the front row is sure something. I vaguely remember the Fords having a huge advantage early in the year but drat.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kevin Lepage's greatest contribution to humanity is the best NASFACTS tweet of all time

https://twitter.com/nasfacts/status/789941768204591104

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

wicka posted:

Rumor is that she’ll be driving for Ganassi at Indy, so maybe them at Daytona as well?

Hopefully the #8 Budweiser Chevy.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Watching some old Jr races this weekend. Getting started on Texas 2000, and seeing Kevin Lepage's worthless rear end on the front row is sure something. I vaguely remember the Fords having a huge advantage early in the year but drat.

Continuing this race, and the commentators talking about Adam Petty's potential :smith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NASCAR suspending Jason Burdett from the 7 car in the NXS race as a penalty backfired.

Chad Knaus is the substitute crew chief today.

E- and now it's just a question as to which of Dale's cars wins the championship.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That was a good run to the end, I was expecting a caution from around 20 left on and it never came which was nice.

• Locked thread