Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ate all the Oreos posted:

i just never actually pick up unless i recognize the number, cuz if you pick up (even to hang up immediately) it shows them that there's a person there and they just double down on everything.

if it's actually real and important they can leave a message (which the bots never, ever do)

I get dozens of 2 second silent voicemail a week from spam numbers I've blocked. It's crazy. I suppose that's what I get for having the same number since I was 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Will carriers block calls from callerID blocked numbers if I pester them enough? That's where the biggest volume of them come from. The phone doesn't let me block unknown caller calls, only the all-0's ones

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

we have tampons that can send an email your watch if they're full and a pillow that can call 911 if your heart stops but a voice mail system that can reject two seconds of silence and a hangup noise is beyond us

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fishmech posted:

they are, but a ton of them are tiny little channels that are hard to find, using knockoff models and music so it won't be immediately caught by automated scanning.

and it's not like you can just preemptively block everything that says "spiderman" or "mickey mouse" or whatever in the titles, because a lot of that is going to be "legit" content of someone playing a licensed game or w/e

quote:

Little Baby Bum, which made the above video, is the 7th most popular channel on YouTube. With just 515 videos, they have accrued 11.5 million subscribers and 13 billion views

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

I get dozens of 2 second silent voicemail a week from spam numbers I've blocked. It's crazy. I suppose that's what I get for having the same number since I was 13.

that's weird, the only time spam numbers are able to trigger my message inbox is if they don't detect that I'm not there and play a *really* long recording, and in that case I'll get like the last half of it, but that's super rare

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

see if your cell providers offer robocall blocking. since i turned it on i've gone from several garbage calls per week to zero. one might slip through once in a while, but it's very rare.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

see if your cell providers offer robocall blocking. since i turned it on i've gone from several garbage calls per week to zero. one might slip through once in a while, but it's very rare.

huh thanks, looks like AT&T supports it as of last year and I've never heard of it:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/att-unveils-network-level-robocall-blocking-call-spam-warnings/

e: ... and it apparently requires you to install an app great thanks AT&T

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 17, 2017

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

fishmech posted:

they are, but a ton of them are tiny little channels that are hard to find, using knockoff models and music so it won't be immediately caught by automated scanning.

and it's not like you can just preemptively block everything that says "spiderman" or "mickey mouse" or whatever in the titles, because a lot of that is going to be "legit" content of someone playing a licensed game or w/e

Disney is apparently a parent company of the studio with some of the tamer channels.
https://socialblade.com/youtube/network/maker/topusers

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The Google dialer on Android flags likely spam/scam calls. It'll make the ringer screen red rather than blue and display a text warning. It's default on Pixel devices AFAIK but you can install it on others. I think it requires Android 6.0 or greater.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ahahah i tried to manually enter "10000000000" to explicitly block and it rejected it for not being valid, great loving job :thumbsup:

also AT&T kept pushing me to look at their cybersecurity site and it's much more relevant to this thread:

http://about.att.com/sites/cybersecurity/ae/hce

it's mostly benign but there's a few suggestions i like about it like "Use security questions with trick answers." and "Always think, "This could happen to me."" and this, in relation to detecting phishing:

quote:

Be your own private investigator.
Look for security indicators on the website. These include an "s" after the http in a website address, and a lock icon at the bottom of the screen.

yeah that'll do it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wolrah posted:

The Google dialer on Android flags likely spam/scam calls. It'll make the ringer screen red rather than blue and display a text warning. It's default on Pixel devices AFAIK but you can install it on others. I think it requires Android 6.0 or greater.

oh i was wondering why it was red for some incoming calls. seems kinda worthless if it doesn't just auto-silence the ringer though...

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

t-mobile won't do poo poo for blocking unlisted spam numbers, told me to get a new #. gently caress that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

that channel entirely avoids stepping on IP they haven't properly licensed you moron. it's all public domain poo poo or things they made themselves.

why would any company go after them? what grounds would they even have?

b0red posted:

Disney is apparently a parent company of the studio with some of the tamer channels.
https://socialblade.com/youtube/network/maker/topusers

and those all seem to be ones that don't just smash and grab a ton of external ip so that really doesn't relate to it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

t-mobile won't do poo poo for blocking unlisted spam numbers, told me to get a new #. gently caress that.

i use their blocker and it seems to work. it's all on the backend too, so you don't need janky apps or anything like that

#664# turns on scam notification
#632# turns on scam blocking

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

The_Franz posted:

i use their blocker and it seems to work. it's all on the backend too, so you don't need janky apps or anything like that

thanks friend

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The_Franz posted:

I got janky on your mom's backend.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The_Franz posted:

Thank you so much. Their CSR was useless.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

supposedly this janky AT&T app has ~network wide components~ too that aren't just relying on the app but the app itself is made by a third party and "machine learning AI" showed up more than once in the descriptions of how it works so it's probably totally bullshit

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wolrah posted:

It's good, but requires the number to but be spoofed to rando garbage. I need to make an app that silently drops the call it it matches the phone's own area code + exchange code. Apparently they already exist but I'd like to make my own.

Meanwhile, I believe the FCC voted to allow the carriers to do it in the backend, but didn't mandate that it be free. Enjoy paying an extra $20 to not receive garbage calls.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Franz posted:

Thank you for this

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I too get those two second voicemail calls. My theory is they're just testing for valid numbers for a data broker so they can sell "verified" numbers to robocall operators.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The_Franz posted:

i love you

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Also, this isn't really a sec-gently caress (yet) but the feds have an emergency telecommunications system called gets/wps.

In the past it was just a physical card with a pin printed on it but some bright bulb thought it'd be smart to make an app that could store the pin for easy access calling. The app interface really inspires a lot of confidence that whoever made it is securing those pins correctly:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

El Mero Mero posted:

Also, this isn't really a sec-gently caress (yet) but the feds have an emergency telecommunications system called gets/wps.

In the past it was just a physical card with a pin printed on it but some bright bulb thought it'd be smart to make an app that could store the pin for easy access calling. The app interface really inspires a lot of confidence that whoever made it is securing those pins correctly:

Charge your phone. :ohdear:

Also don't use Android. Hth.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

wolrah posted:

also default on Nexus 5X

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The_Franz posted:

they have a thing that lets you block scams, which means they have a thing that identifies oh poo poo it's the twitter nazi checkmark thing again

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

The_Franz posted:

do i want both, or just the blocking?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I did the first one and then it told me to punch in the second one so I did that too

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Ok thanks. This thing
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/doc_download.cfm?doc_id=226 and the phone itself told me 622 not 632 though, that seems like it turns it off:

To turn on Scam Block, dial #ONB# (#662#)
To turn off Scam Block, dial #OFB# (#632#)
To check whether Scam Block is on or off, dial #STS# (#787#)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pardot posted:

do i want both, or just the blocking?

the scam id thing just changes the caller id to read "scam likely" for flagged numbers. the blocker black holes the calls.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just never actually pick up unless i recognize the number, cuz if you pick up (even to hang up immediately) it shows them that there's a person there and they just double down on everything.

if it's actually real and important they can leave a message (which the bots never, ever do)

:same: and i have never experienced a robocall

idk why anyone would pick up a strange number or even have a voicemail. gently caress that, phonecalls arent poo poo.

if someone wants me they can send a letter or know me personally.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

phone tips:

- always on silent
- never pick up if its not from a contact
- ignore (pref disable) your voicemail
- good job

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

same, and i have never experienced a robocall

idk why anyone would pick up a strange number or even have a voicemail. gently caress that, phonecalls arent poo poo. if someone wants me they can send a letter or know me personally.

old people with landlines and (hopefully, for the scammers) no caller id who answer every call and are gullible

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

:same: and i have never experienced a robocall

idk why anyone would pick up a strange number or even have a voicemail. gently caress that, phonecalls arent poo poo.

if someone wants me they can send a letter or know me personally.

I never got a robocall until I bought a place. either my mortgage company sold my info or public records screwed me but theyve been flooding in since.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The_Franz posted:

old people with landlines and (hopefully, for the scammers) no caller id who answer every call and are gullible

no yea i realize, i meant itt.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I lived in a country where checking your voicemail cost you money. It was a really great system because nobody left voicemail and nobody expected a voicemail left to be listened to.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
re: spamchat

i've been getting ones that fake both my area code and prefix

the first time i got one i thought it was someone in my family and called it back, and a very angry woman informed me that no, she did not call my phone

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RISCy Business posted:

re: spamchat

i've been getting ones that fake both my area code and prefix

the first time i got one i thought it was someone in my family and called it back, and a very angry woman informed me that no, she did not call my phone

yeah they do that all the time to me, presumably because people trust it more if it actually looks like it came from in town

also i've gotten a few calls from strangers yelling at me to TAKE ME OFF YOUR drat CALL LIST I'M NOT INTERESTED!!! so my number is clearly being used to robocall other people too :allears:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

yeah they do that all the time to me, presumably because people trust it more if it actually looks like it came from in town

also i've gotten a few calls from strangers yelling at me to TAKE ME OFF YOUR drat CALL LIST I'M NOT INTERESTED!!! so my number is clearly being used to robocall other people too :allears:

i'm just at the point where i don't pick up the phone unless the person is in contacts or i'm expecting a call

nobody who isn't in my contacts is going to call me with a real, actual emergency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Who uses the telephone these days anyway?

• Locked thread