Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theris
Oct 9, 2007

My first thought was that "Didier Calmels" sounds like someone who would have funded an Indy or F1 team with drug money in the 80s.

That was before I got to the part where it mentions he just got out of prison for killing his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
To his slight credit, he wasn’t the worst criminal to be involved with Larousse. Read up on Rainer Walldorf.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JR is on Marshall's podcast this week. I have a feeling he'll still be involved in the sport but not as a driver.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I thought that was an Indy-Only thing but that 64x Project Indy car was from Miami 1995, a street circuit.

Also it' a weird throwback livery to a lovely late 80s F1 team (that Danner also drove for).

They're a wheel company so it makes some sense.

http://rial.de/en/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

They're a wheel company so it makes some sense.

http://rial.de/en/

Was gonna say, likely that Danner had that sponsorship and was bringing it along.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Robin Miller seems to have been out sick for at least a month or more. Any idea what kinda bug he caught?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Just got my confirmation from Gateway for the Bommarito 500 next year, upgraded my seats to be much higher up in the stands by the finish line for the better view, oh yeahhh.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Bentai posted:

Robin Miller seems to have been out sick for at least a month or more. Any idea what kinda bug he caught?

Cancer. :(

https://twitter.com/TonyD1070/status/931281910269128705

At least it's treatable. Get well soon, Robin Miller! We need you. :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Cancer. :(

https://twitter.com/TonyD1070/status/931281910269128705

At least it's treatable. Get well soon, Robin Miller! We need you. :unsmith:

:stonk:

Get well soon Robin :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Some good news:
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/931202063295504384

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Who?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Youll not see them after this season so its okay

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I don't mind the random seat fillers even though you get the occasional Stefano Coletto.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wanted Daly to be retained but money talks. Leist seems to have some skill but he might end up being another Karam.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Came from lights.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wanted Daly to be retained but money talks. Leist seems to have some skill but he might end up being another Karam.

So who's he killing then? :stare:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Matheus Leist finished 4th in his rookie Indy Lights season this year. He won 3 races this year including the Freedom 100 in his first career oval race. Just based on that fact alone I'm not surprised AJ hired Leist, especially having TK as a teammate will greatly help Leist. He's also a good person to talk with.

Also get well soon Robin!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

He also won the revived British F3 championship in 2016. In an ideal world he probably should have had another year in Lights. But, supposedly he's getting the Brazilian TV money that had been going to Helio, and Foyt of all teams can't afford to pass up the combo of money and promising talent.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Human Grand Prix posted:

i don't think a driver aa bad as karam making it to indycar can happen more than like once a decade

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

financially racist posted:

i don't think a driver aa bad as karam making it to indycar can happen more than like once a decade

Well lot better than the prospects of Marty Roth and Milka Duno who were racing 10 years ago.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2017/11/17/danica-patrick-to-end-racing-career-at-next-years-indy-500/107783678/

So this is a thing happening.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I... um... huh. Yeah, that's a thing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Please give her Pippa's ride tia

This is gonna make for another goddamn circus at IMS, except this one is far more meh than Nando

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This will go over well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have no opinions about Danica Patrick. Her career probably lasted as long as it did due to her considerable backing but wasn't she just some throwaway below average driver?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

She showed promise in Formula Atlantics and was the first woman I can think of who ran Indy without poo poo equipment.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I look forward to an entire ESPN feed dedicated to watching her run 17th

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have no opinions about Danica Patrick. Her career probably lasted as long as it did due to her considerable backing but wasn't she just some throwaway below average driver?

She's a talented oval driver who never gained the maturity to compete without making rash and stupid decisions a lot, she was never great on road circuits but tried to race road championships for far too long.

She'll have attracted other, better women to the sport, so for that we should probably be thankful but ultimately she's not brought a lot else.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Her career basically happened because she fluked a P2 at the Formula Ford Festival one year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minto Took posted:

She showed promise in Formula Atlantics and was the first woman I can think of who ran Indy without poo poo equipment.

Dick Simon Racing ran Lyn St. James and was a solid mid-pack CART team.

Also wasn't Janet Guthrie's Texaco-backed ride fairly decent?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dick Simon Racing ran Lyn St. James and was a solid mid-pack CART team.

I had the impression as a kid that Lyn had lovely equipment. :shrug:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Someone on <popular discussion platform> made a good point.

quote:

If anyone doubts Danica’s remaining influence, “Indy 500” is currently trending on Twitter. In November.

Say what you want about her, but a lot of people still care about her. It's not going to be Fernandomania next year, but it'll be something.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Human Grand Prix posted:

More or less average in IRL days. Only thing she had going for her was she always had a knack for Indy for some reason.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

More or less average in IRL days. Only thing she had going for her was she always had a knack for Indy for some reason.

American, consistently funded, decent enough to stick around, good at Indy. Flawless IndyCar driver.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wicka posted:

American, consistently funded, decent enough to stick around, good at Indy. Flawless IndyCar driver.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Minto Took posted:

I had the impression as a kid that Lyn had lovely equipment. :shrug:

She started 6th in 1994, beating out both Newman-Haas cars & Arie on Pole Day.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

vOv

I was just going off what I remember and I can barely remember this past Thursday.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

BMB5150 posted:

The irony of her leading in the late stages of the 2005 race, was it happened mostly due to a strategy call after she crashed into the back of someone anticipating a restart and broke her front wing

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Dan Wheldon win ESPN doesn't remember. :v:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://open-wheels.com/indycar-dallara-reduce-costs-2018/
Statistics released from IndyCar state that each full-season entry for each team will receive two universal aero kits at no cost to the team.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/the-challenges-facing-indycar-engine-manufacturers-in-2018-980926/
David Malsher does a deep dive on the development challenges faced by Honda and Chevy in 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/INDYCAR/comments/7eejnc/if_the_irl_and_indycar_series_drivers_could_only/
This is a rather interesting bit on who would be up being series champ each year, if you could only win it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I've been putting off writing for awhile now, I guess it's time to fire up Word. Gotta show up these :turianass: professional writers :turianass:

• Locked thread