Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What was Justice League's production budget before the reshoots? Did the reshoots + VFX for the reshoots inflate the cost maybe? I'm wondering how much it cost to CG Cavil's mustache out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

What was Justice League's production budget before the reshoots? Did the reshoots + VFX for the reshoots inflate the cost maybe? I'm wondering how much it cost to CG Cavil's mustache out.

Considering how it looks they probably just used a blend tool in photoshop. So my guess is not much.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think that’s interesting, because one of the early criticisms of the MCU was that the studio was enforcing a sort of paint-by-numbers approach that IIRC sort of hit it’s peak around the first Guardians movie.

Thinking back, I don’t really know where that came from, since Hulk was very differently toned from Iron Man for example. Since it was always contrasted with the “auteur” DC style I wonder if it started from that side of the conversation?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

teagone posted:

The mustache CG alone was $20 million.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Justice Leagues budget was somewhere around 300 million, I believe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jesus that’s some depressing numbers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think that’s interesting, because one of the early criticisms of the MCU was that the studio was enforcing a sort of paint-by-numbers approach that IIRC sort of hit it’s peak around the first Guardians movie.

Thinking back, I don’t really know where that came from, since Hulk was very differently toned from Iron Man for example. Since it was always contrasted with the “auteur” DC style I wonder if it started from that side of the conversation?

If Marvel really was making, or wanted to make, the same product over and over, you'd think they's just have a couple writers and directors under contract, that would make cookie-cutter poo poo every time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fruit on the bottom posted:

I honestly have no idea. I just watched Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk at work this week (yes, I have the best job) and those movies are so different. Iron Man is obviously the hero in his movie, and you have these long shots of him in the suit doing Iron Man stuff. The Hulk has always been kind of a monster, and the movie treats him the same way, down to his first appearance being all quick cuts and almost horror-movie ish with the Brazilian SWAT guys and Bruce Banner actively resisting it and being on the run. It was rig hit around when The Dark Knight came out and was well regarded as a Serious Superhero Movie, so you may be right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

If Marvel really was making, or wanted to make, the same product over and over, you'd think they's just have a couple writers and directors under contract, that would make cookie-cutter poo poo every time.

Seriously. They got Shane Black to do Iron Man 3, and he had done a very specific kind of movie with RDJ, and in general, and he nailed putting the character arc on the path they wanted for Avengers 2 and Cap 3. It's really more thought and character than you'd expect from a giant franchise, and they put out as many films in a year as the DCCU has ever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I hope this means they just decide to Civil War it from now on. Why make justice league when you can make Wonder Woman 2: Trinity vs Darkseid. Cyborg's movie suddenly is Cyborg and Diana have to run a magazine. Flashpoint? sure, but it's about saving one of Diana's mothers from the first act of WW 1.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

Considering how it looks they probably just used a blend tool in photoshop. So my guess is not much.

Ojjeorago posted:

The mustache CG alone was $20 million.

Holy gently caress I thought you were kidding:

quote:

On Monday, Variety reported that Henry Cavill's mustache would have to be digitally removed in post-production for $25 million worth of "Justice League" reshoots — instantly making Cavill and his mustache the butt of many jokes. But it's not particularly funny for the visual effects team that has to deal with it.

:wtf:

[edit] Oh wait, that article reported the headline funny. The estimated TOTAL cost of the reshoots was roughly $25 million according to the Variety article: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/justice-league-reshoots-1202502433/

Still, that's a pretty sizable chunk.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why didn’t he just shave his moustache and have make-up apply a false one for his work on Mission Impossible? I mean, it would have been moot, since filming on MI was delayed, anyways, but you’d think a fake ‘stache would be a lot cheaper than CG depilation.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What the gently caress, I also thought I was kidding.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Why didn't he just shave his moustache and have make-up apply a false one for his work on Mission Impossible? I mean, it would have been moot, since filming on MI was delayed, anyways, but you'd think a fake 'stache would be a lot cheaper than CG depilation.

My guess is Henry's contract for MI6 had a no-shave clause. Sir Kodiak in JL cineD thread mentioned that it's also likely the reshoots were outside of Henry's contracted widow for additional photography.

Ojjeorago posted:

What the gently caress, I also thought I was kidding.

Let's just assume the actual total cost of the reshoots was roughly around $5 million, then the stache removal along with other VFX, e.g., Joss making everything red, was $20 million.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
At the very least, it's the Six Million Dollar 'Stache

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phylodox posted:

Why didn’t he just shave his moustache and have make-up apply a false one for his work on Mission Impossible? I mean, it would have been moot, since filming on MI was delayed, anyways, but you’d think a fake ‘stache would be a lot cheaper than CG depilation.

Paramount would not allow him to do that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phylodox posted:

The studio behind Mission Impossible said he couldn't shave it. They weren't interested in playing ball because he was supposed to be filming their movie instead of Justice League.

Something I thought was kind of funny was how (after credit spoilers) Arrow's gray hair for Slade looks so much better than a big Hollywood movie's.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know this is just going to start another argument but this needs to be said. This poor opening weekend that it's shaping up to have wasn't a result of a Rotten Tomato score. It wasn't a result of Wonder Woman of course, which is looking more like an anomaly than ever now,. It wasn't a result of bland uninteresting marketing or anything like that. Whether people want to believe it or not this opening weekend was a direct result of Batman v. Superman poisoning the well for the wider general audience. That movie dropped like a stone after opening weekend and people remember their experience and the negative buzz. I know some people around here like to refer to it as an "interesting failure" at worst but the bottom line is that even if Justice League is better, and I'm not sure if most people will see it that way, the audience had already made up their minds not to see this movie because that one left a bad taste in their mouths.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
So were almost all of Cavill's scenes reshot? To my eye, he had Uncanny Valley face most of the time he was onscreen. On top of that, neither the black suit Cavill teased nor that Alfred scene from the end of the SDCC 2017 trailer made it into the final movie, which leads me to think that most of the Superman stuff was drastically overhauled from whatever Snyder originally filmed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

I know this is just going to start another argument but this needs to be said. This poor opening weekend that it's shaping up to have wasn't a result of a Rotten Tomato score. It wasn't a result of Wonder Woman of course, which is looking more like an anomaly than ever now,. It wasn't a result of bland uninteresting marketing or anything like that. Whether people want to believe it or not this opening weekend was a direct result of Batman v. Superman poisoning the well for the wider general audience. That movie dropped like a stone after opening weekend and people remember their experience and the negative buzz. I know some people around here like to refer to it as an "interesting failure" at worst but the bottom line is that even if Justice League is better, and I'm not sure if most people will see it that way, the audience had already made up their minds not to see this movie because that one left a bad taste in their mouths.

The cinema score will be more telling of how audiences responded to the film, and/or if word of mouth will carry the film to a respectable box office. If BvS poisoned the well as bad as you say, I can suggest that it's possible Wonder Woman likely built up some goodwill in contrast, considering how big of hit that film was critically and commercially. WW's success might convince audiences to see Justice League seeing as how she's in it too. But you might be right, sure, that BvS did leave such an impactful sour taste in a lot of people's mouths and many moviegoers already made up their minds about JL.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

I completely agree. BvS took a lot of steps towards setting up JL, including cameos that had nothing to do with the plot at hand and whatnot. That's another thing the marvel movies did- they kept the crossover poo poo to post-credit scenes until it was well established. It meant that if one movie didn't work out, it wouldn't gently caress with the others.

WW had basically nothing to do with JL during the bulk of the movie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The movie is bad whatever sure, but I am not ready for this revisionist history that Wonder Woman wasn't that great and only seemed better because every other DC movie is piss

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

purple death ray posted:

The movie is bad whatever sure, but I am not ready for this revisionist history that Wonder Woman wasn't that great and only seemed better because every other DC movie is piss

It's too late the review conspiracy over Wonder Woman has been lifted because something something Ghostbusters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ScreenRant published a comprehensive breakdown of who shot what between Snyder and Whedon that ended up in the final cut of JL: https://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie-reshoot-changes-explained-snyder-whedon/

The format of the article is trash, but the content is enlightening. This bit especially:

quote:

Superman’s return is at the center of Justice League and, evidently, the core of the reshoots. Put simply, all of Henry Cavill in Justice League (except for possibly two shots) is from Whedon. This had already been suggested by rumors, of course, but there’s a major clue right there in the movie: the upper-lip.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The big takeaway from this is that if you want a good cinematic universe you need a Feige or someone like him; a fan with investment in the material but still business-focused above all else and only creatively controlling of the wider planned arc of the cinematic universe, not specific beats within specific moments of it.

That vulture article about what Johns and whatshername, the business side of DC entertainment, were doing surprisingly gave me a fair bit of hope, even despite my generalized antipathy to Geoff Johns. He seems to be cognizant of what Marvel is doing well and trying to bring that mentality into the post JL fare, which will be far more standalone and focused on individual storytelling over whatever loving mess of poo poo BvS, SS, and apparently JL are.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 18, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

I liked it when I saw it but it didn't really have lasting appeal for me. It was good, but I felt like myself and a lot of other people kind of got overly excited because, you know, every other D.C. movie was piss being boiled over an on fire dumpster.

The ending was literally the ending of Captain America but with more CGI, for shits sake

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean I'm biased because I love the MCU but at some point the length and sheer breadth of the storytelling that Marvel Studios has pulled off, in the sense of telling a continuous engaging story over 20+ movies at this point that has been at least moderately well done, kind of makes you wonder how much of that is Feige. He might just be a once in a lifetime dude like Kirby and Lee were for, well, Marvel in the sense of having creative impulses that both changed the industry they were in and actually worked.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wonder Woman was about as good as Iron Man 1, right down to the total snooze of a final act

I prefer it because it has a more likable protagonist and love interest, though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think there’s also a willingness to learn from what didn’t work in previous movies. The earliest (and most low stake) example being the chest shape from Iron Man 2.

The biggest example would probably be the new Thor, where they took Hemsworth’s input to heart and chose a director who took the franchise in a completely different tonal correction from the previous movies, resulting IMO in what’s really been the first “good” Thor movie.

Hulk too. The official reason is that they can’t make a solo Hulk movie without Universal, but I think if anything these movies have shown us that Bruce and Hulk work best when they have others to bounce off of and you’re not just waiting 90 minutes for the big guy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was the Incredible Hulk the first movie with a crossover stinger? I remember people thinking it was just a cute easter egg instead of being the set up for a multibillion dollar franchise
I also remember people dissecting an out of focus shot in Tony's workshop trying to figure out if that red stain in the back was Captain America's shield or what

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Calaveron posted:

Was the Incredible Hulk the first movie with a crossover stinger? I remember people thinking it was just a cute easter egg instead of being the set up for a multibillion dollar franchise
I also remember people dissecting an out of focus shot in Tony's workshop trying to figure out if that red stain in the back was Captain America's shield or what
Iron Man has the Nick Fury one, if that counts

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The big takeaway from this is that if you want a good cinematic universe you need a Feige or someone like him; a fan with investment in the material but still business-focused above all else and only creatively controlling of the wider planned arc of the cinematic universe, not specific beats within specific moments of it.

That vulture article about what Johns and whatshername, the business side of DC entertainment, were doing surprisingly gave me a fair bit of hope, even despite my generalized antipathy to Geoff Johns. He seems to be cognizant of what Marvel is doing well and trying to bring that mentality into the post JL fare, which will be far more standalone and focused on individual storytelling over whatever loving mess of poo poo BvS, SS, and apparently JL are.

Johns is too close to the material to be like Feige. He wants to push his characters like Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, and Cyborg instead of leave it up to filmmakers to choose the characters and do what they want with them. He had his hands all over the Green Lantern movie and we see how that went.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Seeing as The Incredible Hulk was the second movie in the franchise, yeah it was the first to feature a character from another film in its stinger. Unless you want to count the Nick Fury stinger. And what you're remembering is from Iron Man 1. There's a quick shot of Cap's prototype shield — we see it during the scene when Pepper asks "are those bullet holes?" — that ended up being the butt of a joke in Iron Man 2; it was the thing Tony needed to hold up the accelerator evenly when he was fabricating a new element. I think we see the same shield in Spider-Man Homecoming, or it's mentioned by Happy in passing. I forget.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

This is my stance in a nutshell. I have enjoyed almost every Marvel Comic movie, and been disappointed in every DC offering to date minus WW. And I'm not naive enough to think that DC is only in it for the money and somehow Disney is about the art, and making a profit is a nice side benefit. They are both out to make money, make no mistake. I think a general avatar of either company would step on their grandmother's neck if there was $5 to be made from it.

But, I do think that Marvel has people who read the comics, who are familiar with the characters and the stories, working together to make these movies better products. DC sees these characters as revenue sources first, and cultural icons second. Marvel has taken characters I never followed and made me give a poo poo about them, and DC has taken the biggest names, and made the least accurate interpretations of them that I have seen outside of a Chinese bootleg.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

teagone posted:

ScreenRant published a comprehensive breakdown of who shot what between Snyder and Whedon that ended up in the final cut of JL: https://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie-reshoot-changes-explained-snyder-whedon/

The format of the article is trash, but the content is enlightening. This bit especially:

If that's true then Superman was never supposed to come back at all, at least for this movie. Which seems like a massive mistake, depending on how things were originally supposed to go. If we are talking about an aborted long term attempt at Reign of the Supermen type arc I doubt it would have worked at all. Unless you did it long enough to replace Cavill and use the opportunity to reboot the character having come back from being dead mullet and all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jiro posted:

If that's true then Superman was never supposed to come back at all, at least for this movie. Which seems like a massive mistake, depending on how things were originally supposed to go. If we are talking about an aborted long term attempt at Reign of the Supermen type arc I doubt it would have worked at all. Unless you did it long enough to replace Cavill and use the opportunity to reboot the character having come back from being dead mullet and all.

Unconfirmed sources on twitter say that Snyder shot only 3 scenes with Henry: the Heroes Park fight, the scene in the cornfield with Lois, and a scene with Affleck near the end of the film.

[edit] At this point I'm finding I'm more keen on learning more about the troubled production of Justice League than I am on seeing the film next week.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 18, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Justice League being "artfully" grim the same weekend that The Punisher came out and actually was thoughtful about the damage that violence does to who you are as a person is probably also not great

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/MrAristocrates/status/931708715740393473

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I mean, to be fair I think that’d be the most memorable thing to happen to me in any movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is that your own twitter account? Lol.

• Locked thread