Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This anime is so loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Watched the first episode, and then couldn't resist binging the rest! This show is extremely cute, and just as addictive as a real MMO.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's actually nice to have a MMO anime where it's not "people get sucked into the game".

And the characters are actually adults.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Or are they? One guy, a PC and a laptop. I say this only because there is just one unrevealed character in the OP.

Hime and Poko are a married couple and their real-life players don't show up in the ED. Neither of them are the unrevealed character.

They don't show up at the same time because they only have one PC at home, and Poko logs in from a cafe that's on the way home.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ignis posted:

Hime and Poko are a married couple and their real-life players don't show up in the ED. Neither of them are the unrevealed character.

They don't show up at the same time because they only have one PC at home, and Poko logs in from a cafe that's on the way home.

I knew they were married when I stated that dumb theory. There's not much space left in the series to introduce this new character though. Actually kinda worrying if this show's gonna stick a good landing or if the ending's going to be fairly unfulfilling.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think Himerelda might be in the ED. There's a shot of an older woman with long wavy hair labeled LAILAH that doesn't match anyone else.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That's Lilac. She's shown up a few times in the real world.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't think so, it also shows Lilac right after that, and she looks quite different. I admit it could just be her done in a really different artstyle.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 14, 2017

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

I think Himerelda might be in the ED. There's a shot of an older woman with long wavy hair labeled LAILAH that doesn't match anyone else.

This is what Hime and Poko look like in the manga. Spoilered just in case, but I don't think they'll show up in the anime.

The Lailah girl is just a pic on the friend's phone, he's swiping past it. If it actually ends up being a player, then my money's on Nico, because the manga never revealed her irl player before the hiatus

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ignis posted:

The Lailah girl is just a pic on the friend's phone, he's swiping past it. If it actually ends up being a player, then my money's on Nico, because the manga never revealed her irl player before the hiatus

e: misread that post, see below for a better answer

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 14, 2017

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

No, the girl from the ED has wavy hair and her name isn't Harumi, which is the name of the new character

There's a chance she could be both though - Lailah could serve as an inspiration to the Harumi character, and also as someone famous (actress? model?) who happens to play MMOs in her spare time and she's also coincidentally Nico (because coincidences are hilariously common in this show)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gmq posted:

But... there are no good MMOs.

True but some are worse than others.

FFXIV has constant timely events and updates so I never feel like I'm hitting a content wall but leveling there is hell.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah leveling just takes a time commitment but it's still a bit of an annoying hassle as you have to replay at least some content.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The main story quest in FFXIV hands out exp like candy, so aside from one kind of annoying exp valley at around level 45, your first character will level up pretty quickly and painlessly.
The grinding starts when you want to level up a second job, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HenryEx posted:

The main story quest in FFXIV hands out exp like candy, so aside from one kind of annoying exp valley at around level 45, your first character will level up pretty quickly and painlessly.
The grinding starts when you want to level up a second job, though.

That's one thing back in my WoW days that I remember being done very well. The quests were laid out in a fashion that if you did all the quests in an area, chances are you'd leave for the next area at the right level. They even did this with the expansions.

Been a while though

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
In WoW there's now too many quests in a zone when you start running dungeons with the group finder. You maybe get to do a third or half of a zone before you start out-leveling it. It's even worse if you have the items that increase your XP gains. This isn't a big issue, since WoW is one of those 'endgame is the real game' MMOs, but they're changing it soon so that zones will scale with your level so you can ride out a zone's story if you want to.

In general, WoW is in one of the better spots it's been for years, and the next expansion seems to be even better. Having a lot of new people trying things instead sticking with the old guard seems to be working pretty well so far.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

WoW is really good at getting new people into the game with the whole level boost stuff. You immediately get to the latest expansion's worth of content and only have to go through older content with alts. I just can't stand only playing one character though and much prefer XIV's all-gameplay-on-one-character approach. Leveling everything from scratch again is a pain though they've made more and more scaling content to help make it a little less repetitive. I'm also relatively casual (Don't do serious raiding but can play upwards of 3-6 hours a day) and I've got everything at level 60 pre-SB launch. Few months later and I have most classes/jobs at 70, with just tanks, monk, samurai, and some crafters at 62-65 through largely solo content.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
And now the wait begins again, 20 minutes is way too short.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is starting to get confusing.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

It's like the movie Serendipity but with MMOs and two people with low self-esteem

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Koiwai makes the same kind of characters I do.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Are Sakurai and Moriko the only characters whose VAs change in game?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Poor Sakura-chan.

He knows exactly how creepy his actions look, and now he's in a position where he can't reveal what's been happening without revealing that to Morimori. And yet it's gradually becoming more and more clear that they've been best buddies for years and years.

I sincerely doubt this is fixable without some sort of major asspull happening, with or without Koiwai's help. Anime, please prove me wrong.

EDIT:

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are Sakurai and Moriko the only characters whose VAs change in game?

No, Kanbe's VA changes also. You might find this interview with the VAs that I found last night interesting: https://seiyuuplus.wordpress.com/20...akamura-yuichi/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
He's gonna do it. He's gonna make his old character.

I wonder if Seafood Online has PvP...

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This anime does so many things right that it'll be the disappointment of the season if they don't end up together by the end of it. :negative:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Argas posted:

(Don't do serious raiding but can play upwards of 3-6 hours a day) and I've got everything at level 60 pre-SB launch. Few months later and I have most classes/jobs at 70, with just tanks, monk, samurai, and some crafters at 62-65 through largely solo content.

Uh...I don't think casual is a good way to describe 3-6 hrs everyday and how do people find time? A lot of my old gaming hobbies have faded away due to IRL :sigh:

Even during breaks I realize there's only so many tome farming, collecting, and leveling on alt jobs I can do before I go mad.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Alder posted:

Uh...I don't think casual is a good way to describe 3-6 hrs everyday and how do people find time? A lot of my old gaming hobbies have faded away due to IRL :sigh:

Even during breaks I realize there's only so many tome farming, collecting, and leveling on alt jobs I can do before I go mad.

Well, casual in the sense that I don't really throw myself at challenging content. I don't really touch the serious raids or throw myself at current extreme primals very often.

Edit: Watched the episode and drat, what a cruel place to end the episode on. On one hand, I feel it's a bit contrived but this sort of thing isn't unheard of and I just want Moriko to find out already.

Argas fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 18, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This is possibly the most dense love shape I've ever seen. Like some kind of Escher Love Polyhedron just to fit all the links in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kylra posted:

This is possibly the most dense love shape I've ever seen. Like some kind of Escher Love Polyhedron just to fit all the links in.

And technically, most of the players are two people. I’m pretty sure that Koiwai is only an assumed member who’s actually just dicking around while trying to force these two idiots together.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

koiwai is the most wonderful troublemaker

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Who is the aggressively blond character who was giving advice? I don't remember seeing her before but she was dumped in there like we should know her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nico. We've seen her briefly before. She's another member of the guild.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm going to need a companion diagram for this show to keep track of all the characters and their alt personas if this continues to be a growing thing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yep, that's totally the kind of monstrosity Koiwai would make. Also, SAKURAI PLEASE JUST DO IT

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 18, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

I'm going to need a companion diagram for this show to keep track of all the characters and their alt personas if this continues to be a growing thing.

The manga had a character summary at the end of chapter 51(around where the previous episode ended)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

51 chapters in already? drat.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's a webcomic like Re:Life, so chapters are shorter

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

gmq posted:

This anime does so many things right that it'll be the disappointment of the season if they don't end up together by the end of it. :negative:

Yep. This episode made me a little worried because it felt like a little bit of a pull back in terms of moving the relationships forward compared to the last couple. Koiwai was a lot of fun this episode, though.

ViggyNash posted:

Also, SAKURAI PLEASE JUST DO IT

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GET IN THE ROBOT RELATIONSHIP SHINJI SAKURAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving