Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Married w/ Children was definitely worse and more reviled by the religious right. My very earliest memory of Ann Coulter is of her in her 20’s complaining about MwC trying to get in pulled from Fox and my mom just snorting and going “Man, what a bitch”.

The only other TV family that wasn’t all lovey dovey was Roseanne, and surprising no one, MwC, Roseanne and the Simpsons are all S-their 90’z comedy

When I was a kid my family always watched the Simpsons together and the only things I wasn’t allowed to watch were Married with Children and wrestling, which is pretty goofy considering wrestling in the early-mid 90s was probably the tamest it’s ever been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bust Rodd posted:

Married w/ Children was definitely worse and more reviled by the religious right. My very earliest memory of Ann Coulter is of her in her 20’s complaining about MwC trying to get in pulled from Fox and my mom just snorting and going “Man, what a bitch”.

The only other TV family that wasn’t all lovey dovey was Roseanne, and surprising no one, MwC, Roseanne and the Simpsons are all S-their 90’z comedy

And just because it portrayed families dealing with poverty and low social status instead of the idealized and idyllic life styles presented in other sitcoms (even though the Bundies lived in a huge two story house on a shoe salesman salary and I guess being a nuclear technician pays pretty well)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I was a kid my family always watched the Simpsons together and the only things I wasn’t allowed to watch were Married with Children and wrestling, which is pretty goofy considering wrestling in the early-mid 90s was probably the tamest it’s ever been

Married with Children was banned for me, and in 1994 when we got cable, MTV was banned (because of Beavis and Butthead, which I just went to the other end of the house and watched it when were all asleep by 10:00)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Calaveron posted:

And just because it portrayed families dealing with poverty and low social status instead of the idealized and idyllic life styles presented in other sitcoms (even though the Bundies lived in a huge two story house on a shoe salesman salary and I guess being a nuclear technician pays pretty well)

Upper lower middle class

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

your friend a dog posted:

hi everybody. i have never watched the simpsons. we didnt have cable when i grew up, just a rusty aerial that changed channels every time there was a windstorm. with that in mind, i would like to know where i should begin and where i should end. i dont really want to watch early episodes that develop the characters bc i have soaked in enough simpsons by proxy to understand that. please tell me when the peak begins + ends. god bless each and every one of you

The absolute peak of the show is Season 4-7, you can pick any episode from that era and be guaranteed a good time. Some standout episodes off the top of my head are:

Homer Goes to College
Bart Gets an Elephant
Homer Badman
The PTA Disbands
22 Short Films About Springfield
Last Exit to Springfield
Kingsize Homer
Sweet Seymour 's Badassssss Song

I had to stop myself from just listing every episode I could think of from those seasons as they're all great but those in particular are standouts

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

porking a pork bun posted:

Homer Goes to College
I watched that one recently and while I love the opening skit where they hide Homer from the nuclear inspectors resulting in the amazing quote, "the bee bit my bottom and now my bottom's big," the rest of the episode seemed a bit too much... I dunno, the start of "Jerk-rear end Homer?"

He seemed a bit more malicious and uncaring about the nerds' predicament. Still a funny episode, but I was soured on the second half.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Calaveron posted:

Iirc Roseanne was a lot more toned down from her original standups at first. They were gonna try the Mike and Molly thing where it was "idyllic sitcom family, but the parents are fat."

Then Rosanne decided that in a scene where she was supposed to back down from Dan that it made more sense for the two to have an actual fight. After that they decided that gently caress it, the Connors should act like a normal lower income family.

They still had the big house but it was clear they bought it off Dans first well paying job and they were constantly in danger of losing it. And you got fun scenes like the one where Roseanne is stalling bill collectors by sending them each others Past Due notices.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the problem with poor TV families in appropriately sized houses is it's hard to show an actual poor person house on TV without it looking like it's the lair of a serial killer, especially in multi-cam, studio audience set up.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Razorwired posted:

Iirc Roseanne was a lot more toned down from her original standups at first. They were gonna try the Mike and Molly thing where it was "idyllic sitcom family, but the parents are fat."

Then Rosanne decided that in a scene where she was supposed to back down from Dan that it made more sense for the two to have an actual fight. After that they decided that gently caress it, the Connors should act like a normal lower income family.

They still had the big house but it was clear they bought it off Dans first well paying job and they were constantly in danger of losing it. And you got fun scenes like the one where Roseanne is stalling bill collectors by sending them each others Past Due notices.

Their house was obviously large to accommodate sitcom angles but they nailed the run-down look

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nonviolent J posted:

Are you idiots actually getting upset about Apu

Amos n Andy was really popular and beloved at one point.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Calaveron posted:

It was the early 90s, so the house could have been super cheap. It was often shown to be rat infested and falling to pieces, so maybe he got a bargain. And they were always in debt and living way beyond their means. Homer got help from his dad to buy their place, and the show revealed that Marge was super thrifty, feeding the family on $15 a week or something stupid like that.

Apparently the least realistic house on TV is the Gilmore Girls home which would be worth $3 million. Even if they brought it cheaply in the 90s, that’s huge amounts of property tax.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
An older three bedroom house in Shitsville, Nowhere doesn't actually cost as much as you might think.

Though Bundy should have been living in a one bedroom apartment as a mall shoe salesman.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

JazzFlight posted:

I watched that one recently and while I love the opening skit where they hide Homer from the nuclear inspectors resulting in the amazing quote, "the bee bit my bottom and now my bottom's big," the rest of the episode seemed a bit too much... I dunno, the start of "Jerk-rear end Homer?"

He seemed a bit more malicious and uncaring about the nerds' predicament. Still a funny episode, but I was soured on the second half.

He does act like a dick to the Dean/nerds but I think they do a good job of showing that Homer's entire perception of College is based off of dumb frat-house comedies and that his behaviour is the result of him trying to live out all his John Belushi/Animal House fantasies. It's not like the later series where he's just a jerk for no reason, there's a solid narrative throughline for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

He does act like a dick to the Dean/nerds but I think they do a good job of showing that Homer's entire perception of College is based off of dumb frat-house comedies and that his behaviour is the result of him trying to live out all his John Belushi/Animal House fantasies. It's not like the later series where he's just a jerk for no reason, there's a solid narrative throughline for it.

And everyone reacts like he's being a jerk too. Later seasons it's just normal and no one really cares that he's being a jerkass

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The absolute peak of the show is Season 4-7, you can pick any episode from that era and be guaranteed a good time. Some standout episodes off the top of my head are:

Homer Goes to College
Bart Gets an Elephant
Homer Badman
The PTA Disbands
22 Short Films About Springfield
Last Exit to Springfield
Kingsize Homer
Sweet Seymour 's Badassssss Song

I had to stop myself from just listing every episode I could think of from those seasons as they're all great but those in particular are standouts

I know that one gets a lot of hype as "best episode ever" but seriously drat near every line start to finish is a well-crafted joke that sticks the landing

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SEX BURRITO posted:

It was the early 90s, so the house could have been super cheap. It was often shown to be rat infested and falling to pieces, so maybe he got a bargain. And they were always in debt and living way beyond their means. Homer got help from his dad to buy their place, and the show revealed that Marge was super thrifty, feeding the family on $15 a week or something stupid like that.

Apparently the least realistic house on TV is the Gilmore Girls home which would be worth $3 million. Even if they brought it cheaply in the 90s, that’s huge amounts of property tax.

the actual house used for exterior shots was for sale a few years back for $129k

https://news.avclub.com/own-the-house-from-roseanne-for-a-mere-129-000-1798235936

lets say they bought the house in '85, that'd have been a $60k house at the time.

e: I think Roseanne was supposed to be based on the Aurora-ish area, somewhere in the far, far west Chicago exurbs anyway. You can still buy cheap as poo poo houses out that way.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 17, 2017

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

I know that one gets a lot of hype as "best episode ever" but seriously drat near every line start to finish is a well-crafted joke that sticks the landing

Yeah I rewatched that one recently and couldn't believe how many classic bits/quotes were stuffed into the episode. it's a goddamn masterclass of comedy

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the problem with poor TV families in appropriately sized houses is it's hard to show an actual poor person house on TV without it looking like it's the lair of a serial killer, especially in multi-cam, studio audience set up.

It seems like a US cultural thing. Most UK sitcoms and soaps are about the working class or lower middle.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

It seems like a US cultural thing. Most UK sitcoms and soaps are about the working class or lower middle.

That's because in America everyone is a millionaire in the future!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

bitterandtwisted posted:

British TV has people in ridiculously oversized homes too. Eastenders is full of market traders and shop assistants living in Victorian terraces in East London.

There’s a big class gap in TV in the UK. It tends to be either really poor or really wealthy people on TV. Most attempts at showing the middle class tend to be smug and bland. Which makes sense.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JazzFlight posted:

Personally, I think that you can see from episodes like that that some of the usual reasons for the show's decline, 'Jerkass Homer', 'Too many Celeb cameos' etc have actually been around since the very beginning and most of the problems you see today are simply down to a less easy-to-grasp decline in the writing quality.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The nice things about sitcoms and shows in the UK are all the ugly or at the least very normal looking people

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SEX BURRITO posted:

Her parents were super rich and paid for everything.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Simpsons house is so big that Maggie gets her own room. They didn’t need to go full Malcolm in the Middle and have all the kids in one room, but it’s still a bit silly.

I’m not sure if the family is still meant to be poor by season twenty-whatever.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Personally, I think that you can see from episodes like that that some of the usual reasons for the show's decline, 'Jerkass Homer', 'Too many Celeb cameos' etc have actually been around since the very beginning and most of the problems you see today are simply down to a less easy-to-grasp decline in the writing quality.

Frank Zappa once said the problem with post-60s/70s music is that business-minded record execs who once took a risk with odd experiments and often found unexpected hits were replaced by hippies who ferociously clung to the notion that they *knew* what was cool, thus ruining the fresh spirit of the industry and the works as art. I feel that this has happened to the Simpsons.

The idea of drawing in viewers with celebrity guest voices for random characters has given way to simply having a celebrity personality be the plot catalyst. The current show runners and writers have fallen into the trap of being arbiters of "hip" pop culture gimmicks, and it really ruined the show. What the show needs is to get cancelled. Barring that, what it needs is less control over the entire process and to take risks.

While the writing has become lazier, more superficial, and less nuanced because of this terrible format of clinging to pop culture zeitgeist, I think another major contributor has been that the actual plots became too ridiculous over time. They had already told most of the stories they could with the core cast of characters by the time seasons 8-10 rolled around so they started introducing ancillary characters' story arcs, sending the family overseas to rehash old plots in new zany contexts, etc. Jerkass Homer appears at this point because they need some character to tie everything together with the plot of the week. It's simply become over-exaggerated over and over again.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtube.com/watch?v=BV3CYz34ziE

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's probably a lovely house for a nuclear safety engineer's salary. Plus Marge still doesn't work in the 21st Century. Not counting the times she opens up a pot dispensary or a fast food chain or whatever.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Razorwired posted:

Roseanne was such a loving good show, and as someone who grew up lower-middle class it resonated hard with me and watching it again later in life I got a lot more of the humor

also: I have family who hated hated hated Married with Children, of course these are people who condemn it for being anti-family while being remarkably bad at being family members themselves

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The nice things about sitcoms and shows in the UK are all the ugly or at the least very normal looking people

The average English is uglier than the average American.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Who What Now posted:

Her parents were super rich and paid for everything.

Nah, she didn’t take a penny from them until Rory’s school fees. Not only that, but when she brought the house I don’t think she was even a hotel manager. She was still a maid, or working her way up the career ladder.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Simpsons house is so big that Maggie gets her own room. They didn’t need to go full Malcolm in the Middle and have all the kids in one room, but it’s still a bit silly.

Maybe Homer just never ate avocado on toast. That’s why they can afford such a big house.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Roseanne" was great, and Roseanne Barr was an amazing stand-up. It's too bad she's crazy as gently caress.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

There was an episode, I dunno like 5 years ago, around the premise that Homer was up to his eyes in debt.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

"Roseanne" was great, and Roseanne Barr was an amazing stand-up. It's too bad she's crazy as gently caress.

There was an episode, I dunno like 5 years ago, around the premise that Homer was up to his eyes in debt.

I feel like this is something that just aged weird as hell with how things currently are. Simpsons would have an episode once a season dealing with cutting corners and debt and poo poo like that but then you look back and realize they have a pretty nice house and 2 cars.

Was Frank Grimes before or after Principle and the Pauper? I think the Grimes episode was kind of a good way to cap off the series if you wanna spare yourself what the show became. It's insane and absurd but doesn't reach the levels the show became.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SEX BURRITO posted:

British TV has people in ridiculously oversized homes too. Eastenders is full of market traders and shop assistants living in Victorian terraces in East London.

There’s a big class gap in TV in the UK. It tends to be either really poor or really wealthy people on TV. Most attempts at showing the middle class tend to be smug and bland. Which makes sense.

Victorian terraces aren't that good really.
They may look good from the outside, but inside unless renovated are just rotting slum houses.
I never thought any Eastenders house was big, they are always cluttered dingy rooms.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SEX BURRITO posted:

Nah, she didn’t take a penny from them until Rory’s school fees.

Not knowingly. Her parents just paid for everything on the DL, because their dipshit fast-talking daughter was too retarded to know how to do anything involving numbers higher than eleven.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

OldTennisCourt posted:

Was Frank Grimes before or after Principle and the Pauper?

Grimey was season 8, Principal and the Pauper is 9

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's kind of implied that when Homer moves into his safety technician role (this happens in the first few episodes of S1), he gets a decent pay bump to go with it. They can afford two cars and a stay-at-home mother, but luxuries are still in short supply. They don't have cable TV, they don't have expensive habits, and Homer's jealousy of Ned affording things (RV, pool table, etc) drives quite a few plot lines in early seasons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well Lisa plays in Band and Bart is shown on various sports teams, those are time consuming and can be expensive now and then, but please also remember that in the late 80’s, early 90’s so people could afford big houses.

According to google, a nuclear safety technician makes 60-100K a year, with 60 being the very healthy median. So 30 years ago Homer was probably making between 50-70K? Or probably more like 50K due to inflation? Or maybe more like 80K because he was the only safety inspector for the entire plant?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Springfield might just be a crappy small town where property is cheap.
The four bedroom house I lived in as a kid is worth way less than the tiny flat I live in now.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Springfield might just be a crappy small town where property is cheap.
The four bedroom house I lived in as a kid is worth way less than the tiny flat I live in now.

How high can property values be when you got a raging, ever-burning, tire fire going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Johnny Aztec posted:

How high can property values be when you got a raging, ever-burning, tire fire going?

Well how high can you build an escalator to nowhere or a popcicle stick skyscraper?