Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

JawnV6 posted:

where's that GCC IR documentation

no idea idgaf about gcc & never did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

out of all the things designed to be cross platform runtime environments, it's extremely lol and depressing that the industry has settled on google's chrome web browser as the standard

web "developers" are the worst.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

ahahaha

where's that GCC IR documentation

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/GIMPLE.html

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

eschaton posted:

you’re right about a lot of things but very much not this, friend

lisp wouldn't have helped the web

typed racket, maybe

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

paging rjmccall

llvm should be fine for wasm if the agreement is that you use wasm for the code that you want to be really fast, having already done all the useful high-level optimizations on the original source before generating wasm bytecode. using a much shittier code generator designed for dynamic optimization just to squeeze out a few milliseconds of start-up time seems like a waste. but if wasm is meant to be a js replacement then yeah that's probably overkill. on the other hand if your source language isn't a lovely dynamically-typed thing then the dynamic optimizations don't really matter so much

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

mods this thread title is out of date. please change it to "The PL (Programming Language) thread: I'm glad Rust is the current hipste"

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Powaqoatse posted:

well i never heard of neither. nice monopoly :thumbsup:

well, chrome had that poo poo built in for years and it was a security vuln for a while too!!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Powaqoatse posted:

i dont even care about performance, webapps just annoy the hell out of me they all look and behave differently in subtle and not-so ways and ughhhhhhh i would throw my computer and everything out the window if i had to use more than one

I literally find many webapps unusable because the inadequacy of the browser as a platform means they have to reimplement half a windowing system, right down to drawing their own text cursors with hard coded blink timers, and my autism requires that the computer not blink constantly

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i really don't care like at all if webapps use more of my computers resources as long as I have enough resources for them to be responsive enough. like gently caress if i care if google play music sits there using 25% of my CPU instead of the 2% winamp or whatever the nerds are using nowadays. when using gpm, i have all music at all times everywhere and forever with zero effort on my part

i mean, on some theoretical level it's hilarious that faster CPUs are being used to run javascript apps at some portion of the speed of an application from the year 2000, but whatever...we're using CPU performance to pay for other conveniences

as far as the ui/ux inconsistencies from app to app...meh, i think the massive success of the web has shown that most people don't care, or at least dont care enough for it to matter that much. and I don't think native apps are shining example of ui/ux consistency anyway

as we know all software sucks really bad, i just think webapps suck a little bit less in areas that matter more to me

(immediately being able to use them on any PC at any time and basically zero backup/restore shenanigans...if I switch computers, I install Chrome and I'm immediately back to 95% of my functioning capacity)

(the less effort and thought I have to put into maintaining the mundane parts of my digital stuff the better, and webapps are a big step to easing that)

(waiting for Google to lose all my information)

(also waiting for me to lose my job/income and only be able to afford poo poo computers and all of a sudden i'll care a lot about performance)

basically, I agree with all the critiques of webapps...they just don't matter much to me

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
more cpu use means less battery life, where i'm guessing you don't have enough resources

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DELETE CASCADE posted:

more cpu use means less battery life, where i'm guessing you don't have enough resources

I have basically infinite battery

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ol musky would like a word with you then

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Thermopyle posted:

i really don't care like at all if webapps use more of my computers resources as long as I have enough resources for them to be responsive enough. like gently caress if i care if google play music sits there using 25% of my CPU instead of the 2% winamp or whatever the nerds are using nowadays. when using gpm, i have all music at all times everywhere and forever with zero effort on my part

i mean, on some theoretical level it's hilarious that faster CPUs are being used to run javascript apps at some portion of the speed of an application from the year 2000, but whatever...we're using CPU performance to pay for other conveniences

as far as the ui/ux inconsistencies from app to app...meh, i think the massive success of the web has shown that most people don't care, or at least dont care enough for it to matter that much. and I don't think native apps are shining example of ui/ux consistency anyway

as we know all software sucks really bad, i just think webapps suck a little bit less in areas that matter more to me

(immediately being able to use them on any PC at any time and basically zero backup/restore shenanigans...if I switch computers, I install Chrome and I'm immediately back to 95% of my functioning capacity)

(the less effort and thought I have to put into maintaining the mundane parts of my digital stuff the better, and webapps are a big step to easing that)

(waiting for Google to lose all my information)

(also waiting for me to lose my job/income and only be able to afford poo poo computers and all of a sudden i'll care a lot about performance)

basically, I agree with all the critiques of webapps...they just don't matter much to me

a good post that I agree with + also you're a mod please change the thread title to rust

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Soricidus posted:

I literally find many webapps unusable because the inadequacy of the browser as a platform means they have to reimplement half a windowing system, right down to drawing their own text cursors with hard coded blink timers, and my autism requires that the computer not blink constantly

:hai:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

(ill give webapps a plus for not having to maintain your own lovely pc except for updating it all the time and installing new browsers and keeping your firewalls and corporate antivirus off it etc. aside from that, webapps are very "low-maint")

Thermopyle posted:

imo webapps suck a little bit a lotta bit more ux-wise but i guess we can agree to disagree

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

(ill give webapps a plus for not having to maintain your own lovely pc except for updating it all the time and installing new browsers and keeping your firewalls and corporate antivirus off it etc. aside from that, webapps are very "low-maint")

pro: you don’t have to install updates for web apps. you get the latest version automatically every time you log in

con: sorry we turned the server off. that app you liked? gone forever, effective immediately. if you’re lucky we’ll let you export your data! there might even be another app that can import it one day!!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Soricidus posted:

pro: you don’t have to install updates for web apps. you get the latest version automatically every time you log in

con: sorry we turned the server off. that app you liked? gone forever, effective immediately. if you’re lucky we’ll let you export your data! there might even be another app that can import it one day!!

heck yeah

one of my big problems with webapps & the great butts in the skies is the lack of certainty. if i put my life on a lovely old harddrive and never back it up and it dies, well i know it was my own fault.

if i put my important stuff in some skybutt and its gone? i can curse the gods forever but i will never get the things back.

i prefer to nerd out and put my stuff on 5 (6? idk anymore) hds in 3 houses.

family butt homebrew

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Plank Walker posted:

out of all the things designed to be cross platform runtime environments, it's extremely lol and depressing that the industry has settled on google's chrome web browser as the standard

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I don't mean to spoil the webchat in the PL thread, but this Wednesday I defended my PhD in which I accidentally spent way too much time on designing a pet language. Maybe you'll find it interesting. It's on high-performance parallel functional programming and is here (part I is supposed to be readable; don't bother with the rest unless you really like reading theses).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Powaqoatse posted:

i dont even care about performance, webapps just annoy the hell out of me they all look and behave differently in subtle and not-so ways and ughhhhhhh i would throw my computer and everything out the window if i had to use more than one

no app has used native ui widgets since 1999, everything works differently in subtle ways and has done so for almost 20 years

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the same can be said of literally every native app i've ever used

beaten

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

con: you don’t have to install updates for web apps. you get the latest version automatically every time you log in

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
the one good thing about lovely webpages that have a billion analytics and ad scripts and slow transition animations is that now the 15 year old web pages that still exist on some university server load shockingly fast

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
you know what i hate? lazy loading. love to scroll down an infinitely scrolling (:tizzy:) results list on flickr just to have to stop for several seconds after each screenful waiting for the results to load and then slowly fade in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheany posted:

no app has used native ui widgets since 1999, everything works differently in subtle ways and has done so for almost 20 years

good job wheany but check this out:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the same can be said of literally every native app i've ever used

then both of you check this out: i dont like it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

app = mobile right? it sucks that they keep inventing their own poo poo like A/B testing their own butts and the A is poop coming into their mouth and the B is also poop coming into their mouth but its a different shade of poo poo-brown

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Powaqoatse posted:

app = mobile right? it sucks that they keep inventing their own poo poo like A/B testing their own butts and the A is poop coming into their mouth and the B is also poop coming into their mouth but its a different shade of poo poo-brown

app = every media player bundled with dvd drives 2 decades ago

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Athas posted:

I don't mean to spoil the webchat in the PL thread, but this Wednesday I defended my PhD in which I accidentally spent way too much time on designing a pet language. Maybe you'll find it interesting. It's on high-performance parallel functional programming and is here (part I is supposed to be readable; don't bother with the rest unless you really like reading theses).

skimmed it and the results look nifty. Will be a while until I have the time to truly dig into it though since I am in my own writing hell for now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

lmao this is so blatantly false

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

rust is too harsh and strict a mistress to be a hipsterlang

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

not only has no app used native widgets, no app uses the replacement almost-workalike widgets the programming environment provides.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
People overstate how bad native USER32 is. I wrote a little config program in C with USER32 widgets, and I even used a resource file to specify the layout for the dialog tabs.

It's fine. Mostly I just didn't want to have a 60KB program that actually did something and a 2MB+ GUI to set it up.

No you're not going to have layout managers and your dialog boxes are going to be fixed size, but that's about it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheany posted:

app = every media player bundled with dvd drives 2 decades ago

lmbo gently caress

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Wheany posted:

this is true, but at least by and large they use widget sets that were designed for user interfaces, instead of trying to take a dom tree designed to represent structured hypertext, a stylesheet language designed to apply fonts to said hypertext, and a half-assed scripting language designed to make popups appear, and twist the results into something that vaguely resembles a user interface

you can say things are getting better these days, now that all the browser makers have pretty much agreed to push similar standards and short update cycles. there's no reason the web shouldn't end up just as good a platform for apps as any other cross-platform virtual machine with guis based on lightweight non-native widgets.

in other words: congratulations, google, mozilla, and everyone else. you just reinvented java applets.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
since the gnome people are cadt'ing the poo poo out of their ui toolkit yet again maybe they should do like a shadow dom type thing for gtk4

because shadow dom is legitimately a really neat and original idea and it probably wouldn't be such a bad thing for it to be everywhere

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
qt's qml has the right idea.

since nobody will use a button widget anyway, there is no button widget.

you have a rectangle. you can draw poo poo on it if you want. you can attach a click listener to it if you feel like it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

qt's qml has the right idea.

since nobody will use a button widget anyway, there is no button widget.

you have a rectangle. you can draw poo poo on it if you want. you can attach a click listener to it if you feel like it.

boy do i sure enjoy manually coding up the entire interaction model etc for a solved loving problem

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

Athas posted:

array languages are awesome and this looks p awesome, gj

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

Wheany is probably talking about the nightmare hellscape that is Windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

Wheany is probably talking about the nightmare hellscape that is Windows
If he is, he's wrong.