Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

I doubt it was specifically the punisher. There's TONS of skull imagery that looks really dang close. The most popular one I see is a skull with the american flag overlaid on it. I don't really get the obsession with skulls to symbolize patriotism but drat if the extreme right doesn't love it.

Noted ex-SEAL and pathological liar Chris Kyle had a thing for the punisher's skull logo and it rippled out from there.

I think a lot of people writing off the punisher because of its expected politics are missing out. I'm about halfway through and a lot of it is about the price of violence and america's endless war foreign policy and the people who enact it. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Noted ex-SEAL and pathological liar Chris Kyle had a thing for the punisher's skull logo and it rippled out from there.

There was a sheriff that put the punisher skull on his cruisers a year or so ago. Chuds really like the Punisher.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think a lot of people writing off the punisher because of its expected politics are missing out. I'm about halfway through and a lot of it is about the price of violence and america's endless war foreign policy and the people who enact it. It's really good.

Yeah, from what they did with him in Daredevil I suspected Netflix might do something a bit better with it, so I'll at least give it a try.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

There was a sheriff that put the punisher skull on his cruisers a year or so ago. Chuds really like the Punisher.

Its bčen a thing for a long time, Sempi Fi etc...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

raditts posted:

I saw someone a few months ago wearing a shirt with a Punisher skull overlaid with one of those "blue lives matter" flags
I wasn't sure whether he didn't understand the point of the Punisher at all, or if he understood it perfectly well

A couple of months back there was a story about police officers who got into trouble for putting the Punisher logo onto their patrol cars.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Guy Mann posted:

I'm on my phone so pretend I posted any of the articles about cops being forced to remove Punisher decorations from their cars.
Garth Ennis' run on The Punisher Max is one of the greatest things ever put on paper and I encourage everyone to go read it right now, with that said wtf is wrong with cops? Why is it so hard to comprehend that you're a public servant, not a loving soldier.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 17, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

I just watched the first episode of Future Man and holy hell, who knew that Peeta Mellark had a personality?

Watch Detention. Not only is it an amazing fever dream of a movie (it's directed by the same guy as Torque) but Josh Hutcherson is great in it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Whoa, Future Man sure is one hell of a ride. :iia:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
SCIENCE WAND!!!!!!!!!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

I just watched the first episode of Future Man and holy hell, who knew that Peeta Mellark had a personality?

I did, when I saw Detention.

Watch Detention, Rarity.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh, the final season of Longmire snuck out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

My man, have you seen a movie called Detention

e:fb

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guy Mann posted:

Watch Detention. Not only is it an amazing fever dream of a movie (it's directed by the same guy as Torque) but Josh Hutcherson is great in it.

DivisionPost posted:

I did, when I saw Detention.

Watch Detention, Rarity.

Shageletic posted:

My man, have you seen a movie called Detention

Geez, guys, seriously

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Geez, guys, seriously

but seriously watch it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

Oh, the final season of Longmire snuck out.

I chose watching The Punisher over Longmire because I knew the former would be more likely to be spoilered for me. How is the last season so far? I'm so glad Netflix brought that show back from the dead for a few years. It was always great but their revival really upped the quality.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unless Punisher shits the bed hard in the finale it's honestly pretty good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How often would y’all say you wear henleys? Because the wardrobe if every male lead in every TV show for the last ten years seems to indicate that’s all men are supposed to wear and I only have one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

Unless Punisher shits the bed hard in the finale it's honestly pretty good.

Yeah. If you're avoiding it because jackasses like the Punisher,
A)Enjoy your joyless life avoiding anything jackasses like
And
B)This show is aimed as far from those jackasses as you can get. It might look that way in the first episode, but as more people get involved it really deepens into something excellent.

Also, even that first episode ends in a great sledgehammer fight set to a Tom Waits song about PTSD in an Iraq war veteran who ultimately killed himself

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Snak posted:

My favorite thing about Punisher is that a lot of people who like more family friendly super-heroes immediately parse Punisher as fascist and gross, but don't see how basically all superheroes are just as bad.

this is among the dumbest as loving poo poo things I've ever seen written congrats

Rarity posted:

Geez, guys, seriously

everyone who's telling you to watch it is lying, its among the worst films I've ever seen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

this is among the dumbest as loving poo poo things I've ever seen written congrats

I assume you've never read the CinemaD thread about Comic Movies and I just want to say PULL UP! PULL UP! RUN AWAY!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like I sincerely invite Snak to post that unchanged in BSS and get laughed off the subforum, cause you can only believe that if you never read any part of any run of Punisher including and especially Ennis' run, who created the modern blueprint of the character that everyone follows, wherein the literal text of the literal work is how fascist, gross, and awful of a broken person frank castle is

Like its not loving subtle, the entire point of Punisher especially in his MAX run is about how a man is destroyed by gun violence and how that plunges everyone and anyone around him into an endless, pointless, destructive cycle of gun violence, especially when placed in the context of modern superheroism

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That's one more reason why Punisher War Zone owns, a lefty French woman directing a movie about a hyperviolent spree killer and using it to make fun of American gun culture from top to bottom while also making a drat entertaining movie.

Like, looking at military recruiters getting kids to sign up to die in Iraq and using that as inspiration for Jigsaw to get all the other gangs to turn on the Punisher by giving a Patton speech in front of a giant American flag :discourse:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not talking about actual loving punisher comics jesus christ. I'm talking about public perception of him by people who dislike him because they prefer heroes who don't kill. Do you think the people who avoid punisher because they prefer more "family friendly" heroes have read any Punisher or know what it's actually about?

God gently caress every saying anything about anything related to comics.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Here's a good joke for all you Punisher fans out there:

Why do cops and soldiers love The Punisher?

Because they are intellectual and moral children.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Ahahahaha they even got to the They Live fight scene. Future Man is the loving best. This show is such a crazy wild ride. Goddamn.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Snak posted:

Yeah I'm not talking about actual loving punisher comics jesus christ. I'm talking about public perception of him by people who dislike him because they prefer heroes who don't kill. Do you think the people who avoid punisher because they prefer more "family friendly" heroes have read any Punisher or know what it's actually about?

God gently caress every saying anything about anything related to comics.

punisher has always been framed in the context of the greater marvel universe as fascistic and gross. Because it's loving true

Pretending that everyone is equally as bad as the loving punisher, an extremely bloodthirsty murderous sociopath whom everyone in the marvel universe hates, is extremely dumb. Its nonsense cynicism and what-aboutism disguised as realism and indicative of a complete naivete and ignorance of comics. Superheroes often have metanarrative problems wrt defending or justifying the state or excusing vigilantism,but pretending that loving Spider-Man is actually as bad as Frank Castle is either lethal cynicism or not knowing what the gently caress you're talking about because you never actually read a comic in your loving life

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

punisher has always been framed in the context of the greater marvel universe as fascistic and gross. Because it's loving true

Pretending that everyone is equally as bad as the loving punisher, an extremely bloodthirsty murderous sociopath whom everyone in the marvel universe hates, is extremely dumb. Its nonsense cynicism and what-aboutism disguised as realism and indicative of a complete naivete and ignorance of comics. Superheroes often have metanarrative problems wrt defending or justifying the state or excusing vigilantism,but pretending that loving Spider-Man is actually as bad as Frank Castle is either lethal cynicism or not knowing what the gently caress you're talking about because you never actually read a comic in your loving life
Punisher spoilers:
In the Netflix show, the Punisher is called out by another character as a psychopath. He is going against people worse than him, and the fact that a tremendous loss made him this way is at a core of his character, but it is never presented as an ideal. There are some very real presentations of PTSD in the series, one of which had me stop watching for a second. It's a very well done show. The fight scenes are exciting, but it always makes the consequences of violence clear.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Only, on ep 7 of Futureman, but what I love is how the war of the future is about rat eating anti-vaxxers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did I miss the love for Detention?? WATCH DETENTION EVERYBODY

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Only, on ep 7 of Futureman, but what I love is how the war of the future is about rat eating anti-vaxxers.

shut your loving rathole

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I don't wanna gloss over the guy who said Punisher War Zone rules because that movie has a scene where a bunch of kids are doing sick parkour stunts when suddenly one is blown the gently caress up in mid air by a rocket launcher by the Punisher who is standing off screen. That movie extremely rules.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

Did I miss the love for Detention?? WATCH DETENTION EVERYBODY

I love hyper-stylized weirdness and even though it has almost nothing to do with the rest of the movie the intro where the bitchy popular girl is violently murdered mid-narration while the text pop-ups keep playing as if nothing happened was the moment I knew I was in for something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVUlb7fpF8

Zaggitz posted:

I don't wanna gloss over the guy who said Punisher War Zone rules because that movie has a scene where a bunch of kids are doing sick parkour stunts when suddenly one is blown the gently caress up in mid air by a rocket launcher by the Punisher who is standing off screen. That movie extremely rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g0bmCPFsi8

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I will admit to some hyperbole in my statement.

What I meant was that I often hear the claim that Punisher is gross because he uses guns and kill people, not because he's a vigilante using the tools available to him to impose his will on a populace by force.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Croatoan posted:

I doubt it was specifically the punisher. There's TONS of skull imagery that looks really dang close. The most popular one I see is a skull with the american flag overlaid on it. I don't really get the obsession with skulls to symbolize patriotism but drat if the extreme right doesn't love it.

Obligatory "are we the baddies" link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Punisher War Zone is the single greatest comic book movie that has ever been made and likely will ever be made.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

My review of Titanic: A boat sinks.

Ugh, spoilers dude!!!!

e: Nthing the love for Detention it is fantastic

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Punisher show is very good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zaggitz posted:

And they are called McGinty's Urban Freeflow Gang

Punisher: War Zone is equal parts "Insane Punisher Fanfic" and "Spot-on Punisher Parody," and that is why it works. Plus the third act presages the entirety of The Raid by a full 3 years.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

zoux posted:

How often would y’all say you wear henleys? Because the wardrobe if every male lead in every TV show for the last ten years seems to indicate that’s all men are supposed to wear and I only have one.

I don't own a single one, but modern TV makes me think I really want to. Who makes a comfortable one? I don't want to go all in on a dozen itchy shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

punisher was great, not just cause it's comic book you can barely tell anyone in this is a hero,

but the cop stuff in this thread is pretty gross, but that's cops for you

• Locked thread