Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Barely TG related: Christopher Tolkien resigned his position as president of Tolkien estate in september and Amazon immediately paid a quarter billion dollars to make a LoTR tv series that'll make Battle of the Five Armies look great in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

gradenko_2000 posted:

GURPS is now on DrivethruRPG as PDFs

Now that SJG and Palladium are on DTRPG, what other holdouts are left? Paizo, Atlas Games... anyone else of note not on DTRPG?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Barely TG related: Christopher Tolkien resigned his position as president of Tolkien estate in september and Amazon immediately paid a quarter billion dollars to make a LoTR tv series that'll make Battle of the Five Armies look great in comparison

Middle-Earth Role Playing reprint when

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

gtrmp posted:

Now that SJG and Palladium are on DTRPG, what other holdouts are left? Paizo, Atlas Games... anyone else of note not on DTRPG?

Atlas is on DTRG? Or at least, Unknown armies 3rd and Feng Shui 2nd are, and a bunch of their d20 stuff and some past-edition Ars Magica stuff.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 16, 2017

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Plutonis posted:

March 14th, 2026

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar, 14th 2026-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—
Amazon today announced the latest upcoming series in our Lords of the Rings saga, MINAS-MORGUL: ORC STRIFE WARS soon to debut in its lineup of original dramatic series—all episodes will debut exclusively on Prime Video in the U.S., as well as in select markets globally

In association with Shadows of Mordor 4, and with tie in AR features, this sure-to-be-a-hit series joins 'Dunedain police action', 'Elrond: Hands of the healer' and 'Blue Wizard investigates' bringing you epic brutal action, orc politics that will blow you away, and the secret love affair between Ugnuth, an orc warrior with untapped power, and Celebrían, wife of Elrond, only here do you see the true origins of THE WARS OF THE RING.

Coming Fall, 2027

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

13 years ago I used to do in EVE Online (and got a little bit semi-famous in that particular dark hole of EVE Online). Even then there was loads of conflict between people just doing chat RP (what was derisively called "Pony") and people that actually did real poo poo/affected the game itself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The EVE RP community is one of my absolute favorite sources of absolute insane poo poo in that game

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

In the Introduction, Fate/Zero is listed under "Manga", which isn't accurate. Fate/Zero was originally a Light Novel series that was then adapted into an anime. While it does have a manga adaptation as well, the novels or anime should really be regarded as the primary sources for the work, so it should be listed under "Anime", or under "Fiction" with the other novels.

Man, this really makes me want to get back into Exalted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Any of y'all know of any artists who can do art in the style of D&D/Pathfinder/Fantasy novels and is currently taking commissions?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

Fate/Etc is a black hole of lore from which no common sense can escape.

Granted, I've always kind of wanted to do a modern take on that sort of thing... well, okay, a modern take with a functional system, unlike Shards of an Exalted Dream.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

That Old Tree posted:

Why?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fate/Etc is a black hole of lore from which no common sense can escape.

It's sweet that Japan finally got its own cape comics equivalent.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Haystack posted:

It's sweet that Japan finally got its own cape comics equivalent.

That would be the Gundam franchise.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

My man may I introduce you to the rest of the Fate series and the rest of the TYPE-MOON universe?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't. He must not make our mistakes.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Fate has Charless Babbage as a giant robot, so it owns.

He transformed into a train for the summer race event.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Giant Robot Elizabeth Bathory

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Plutonis posted:

My man may I introduce you to the rest of the Fate series and the rest of the TYPE-MOON universe?

That series has a tendency to white-wash historical/mythological heroes to make the more likeable, and has a tendency towards waifu-ism. Though such blatant pandering has its advantages. It is often difficult to get people to admit their favorites are unbalanced or underpowered. But the Fate/Grand Order player-base is usually willing to admit their favorites have balance issues, and just say they want to use their waifus/husbandos despite being bad.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

golden bubble posted:

That series has a tendency to white-wash historical/mythological heroes to make the more likeable, and has a tendency towards waifu-ism.

Tendency? It's become a point of outright self-parody now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Seriously, why would liking Fate/Zero make you want to play exalted again? I don't get the connection.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Some dude in a golden chariot dropping out of the sky to demand the two people fighting with blantantly obviously magical weapons join him in conquering the world as his allies seems like it could be at least some sort of exalted inspiration.

(This is literally the only Fate/Zero scene I've seen)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Meanwhile FGO Columbus is less whitewashed than 90% of media featuring him.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

Seriously, why would liking Fate/Zero make you want to play exalted again? I don't get the connection.

I mean, they both have superpowered people inspired by real-life mythology with unique special attacks and weapons and all of that.

They share a lot of DNA in terms of inspiration, genre, and themes, even if they're not directly connected in any sense.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

"I must point out that this thing listed as inspiration is, in fact, a novel, not a manga. Except, yes, it was also a manga, and yes they listed particular adaptations of other stuff that weren't the original." Dude was super pedantic about being wrong, unless he's pretty sure the authors were thinking of the novels, but accidentally said "manga."

It was a joke, or at least I thought so. :shrug:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 17, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Covok posted:

Do you often hear a faint whooshing noise when you read posts?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I mean, they both have superpowered people inspired by real-life mythology with unique special attacks and weapons and all of that.

They share a lot of DNA in terms of inspiration, genre, and themes, even if they're not directly connected in any sense.

I feel like there could be a better system for it, but for certain that's the one that sticks out that's feature-complete in terms of modeling the mechanics of the show.

When trying to think of how to implement Fate/Stay Any in an RPG system, the biggest sticking points are:
- The Master/Servant divide: In terms of relative power, Masters are usually weak/not cool compared to Servants. It makes the choice to consciously play a Master seem dumb when the alternative is playing Alexander the Great and rolling over chumps in a massive gently caress-off chariot while sucking foes into another dimension to contend with your massive army
- Making Noble Phantasms feel meaningfully different. A rules-light system might not be able to make the differences between Gae Bolg and Excalibur feel right to fans of the show/universe.

Any system that models custom powers without too much cruft would probably be good regarding Noble Phantasms.

As for Masters/Servants, instead of that being a conscious choice for PCs (one decides to play a Master, the other a Servant) each player would be 'both'.
- The player creates their Master from scratch, while the player and the GM create the Servant together.
- During play when the Master is the primary actor (i.e., anything not involving fighting) the player takes the role of the Master with the GM playing the Servant. This allows the two different characters to interact each other without relying completely on the player to do both.
- When combat between Servants begins, the player takes the role of the Servant/both. This represents the Servant acting in the Master's best interests and is willing to listen to them to win. Unless the Master is a combat monster though, they'll take a supporting role during the battle. More active support will put the Master at risk of being attacked by the enemy, though.

Command Seals become Fate Tokens of sorts. Players can spend them to make Servants do whatever they want, though typically they'll be used to activate the most devastating Noble Phantasms without inflicting stress/damage to the Servant. Other uses could include allowing the Servant to enter a scene and become active where they otherwise wouldn't (think entering an area where a barrier would otherwise prevent their entry). Command Seals would also have a give-and-take mechanic between the GM and the player - while the GM will have their own pool of Command Seals for opposing Servants, he can use ones the player has already spent to make Bad Things happen regarding the story, or force a bad outcome in combat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hello.
I would like everyone to know that there is only about one day left to sign up for the main round of this year's trad games secret santa! If you would like to send a gift to a TG goon and also get a gift from a different TG goon, please come by and sign up. The rules are long but they're easy to follow and it is a lot of fun. Of course, don't sign up if you're going to fail to send the gift. But if you would actually send the gift, then please come try it out!

Here is a convenient link directly to the thread for your convenience, although the thread is also stickied in this very subforum:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840013

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tendency? It's become a point of outright self-parody now.
They made Alexandre Dumas white. Which would be bad even for Hollywood.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

I feel like there could be a better system for it, but for certain that's the one that sticks out that's feature-complete in terms of modeling the mechanics of the show.

Well, I don't think I'd do a straight conversion of the show for a number of reasons. The whole servant / master relationship would be a headache and is problematic; I'm not saying a game couldn't make it interesting, but it also dovetails into some of the franchise's more problematic elements. In general, there's enough bad anime garbage in the series is that I'd largely just cull the fun aspects from it (exaggerated mythical and historical figures having ridiculous anime fights in the modern day) and trash most of the rest. Certainly, the lore is enough of a headache that it's probably not worth its weight in effort, I think, even if it didn't have severe problems in terms of taste. I'd probably want to keep that anime "puzzle fight" feel to it, where characters have distinct and odd strengths, and some of the sense of humor, but I'd lean towards just doing something that plays towards the needs of an RPG instead of just simulating the franchise's endless word salad of a setting.

Terrible Opinions posted:

They made Alexandre Dumas white. Which would be bad even for Hollywood.

Yeah. The issues Fate has are myriad and certainly beyond my ability to even catalogue entirely.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

An article that's a sloppy blowjob to 5e D&D, this time from the New Yorker. The only new twist is that they seem to suggest that 5e was a good enough game to lead to the rise of the RP podcasting surge, rather than coincidentally benefitting from it solely based on lucky timing.

They still manage to bag on 4e with the old tropes, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EverettLO posted:

An article that's a sloppy blowjob to 5e D&D, this time from the New Yorker. The only new twist is that they seem to suggest that 5e was a good enough game to lead to the rise of the RP podcasting surge, rather than coincidentally benefitting from it solely based on lucky timing.

end my suffering

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm not reading the New Yorker

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

EverettLO posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is that the same one as before?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

dwarf74 posted:

Is that the same one as before?

'Tis indeed.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, I don't think I'd do a straight conversion of the show for a number of reasons. The whole servant / master relationship would be a headache and is problematic; I'm not saying a game couldn't make it interesting, but it also dovetails into some of the franchise's more problematic elements. In general, there's enough bad anime garbage in the series is that I'd largely just cull the fun aspects from it (exaggerated mythical and historical figures having ridiculous anime fights in the modern day) and trash most of the rest. Certainly, the lore is enough of a headache that it's probably not worth its weight in effort, I think, even if it didn't have severe problems in terms of taste. I'd probably want to keep that anime "puzzle fight" feel to it, where characters have distinct and odd strengths, and some of the sense of humor, but I'd lean towards just doing something that plays towards the needs of an RPG instead of just simulating the franchise's endless word salad of a setting.

Yeah. The issues Fate has are myriad and certainly beyond my ability to even catalogue entirely.

Yeah, I agree with you on pretty much everything. I wanted to work with the basic conceit of the setting and I agree Master/Servant is insanely problematic.

If I had to keep everything (by forcefully mashing in the theme rather than making something that works mechanically first) I might call it something like Mage/Avatar. It's nothing more than a language change, but one that still captures the thematic divide and removes a lot of the problems baked into Master/MaidServant.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Try Magus/Familiar? Or (Heroic) Spirit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't get how the words Master and Servant are particularly a sticking point for being problematic.

Like if you want to bag on stuff in Fate for being hosed up how does that even rate?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Some Japanese TRPG fan is making an Undertale TRPG... except from what I can tell the concept is each character works based off the rules of a different TRPG system.

Toriel is Golden Sky Stories
Flowey is Paranoia
Chara is CoC
The rest are random Japanese ones.

No I don’t know how the game actually works.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Getsuya posted:

Some Japanese TRPG fan is making an Undertale TRPG... except from what I can tell the concept is each character works based off the rules of a different TRPG system.

Toriel is Golden Sky Stories
Flowey is Paranoia
Chara is CoC
The rest are random Japanese ones.

No I don’t know how the game actually works.

My guess: poorly

That said TRPG Smash Bros. sounds pretty great as a pure goofy concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
wait, as in you play as existing characters, not your own?

• Locked thread