Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Turei: Moderately obnoxious dudes who rightfully feel they got screwed over by Voyager. Episode: Dragon's Teeth

I just watched this episode and it seems like the entire thing was a series of incomprehensibly terrible decisions on Janeway's part that could have been easily avoided and only didn't destroy Voyager/plunge the Delta quadrant into forever war by extreme luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Delsaber posted:

As it happens I've been poking at the big New Horizons mod for Stellaris and recently lost a long bloody war to the Cardassians, mostly just because I didn't have enough ships, but I usually play hyperlane games in vanilla while New Horizons uses warp drives exclusively, so that probably messed me up a little too.

I had a rather nasty experience playing the Klingons in a game where the Andorians founded the Federation instead of Earth - giving them a Militarist ethos instead of the usual Pacifistic, and giving them the 'Democratic Crusader' AI personality. They went on a mad rampage against everyone around them, 'liberating' world after world. In the end, I was forced into an unholy alliance with the Cardassians and the Romulans just to try and contain them...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

I had a rather nasty experience playing the Klingons in a game where the Andorians founded the Federation instead of Earth - giving them a Militarist ethos instead of the usual Pacifistic, and giving them the 'Democratic Crusader' AI personality. They went on a mad rampage against everyone around them, 'liberating' world after world. In the end, I was forced into an unholy alliance with the Cardassians and the Romulans just to try and contain them...

So basically you were in the Mirror Universe.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Have to say, I'm kinda sad to see Gowron go, especially like this. He was a dick, but pulling the old Uriah routine on Martok was probably going too far.

Yeah. Gowron was a dirty schemer, but he had at least some sense of honor, and more to the point, he was competent. His actions in this one struck me more as if a changeling had taken his place intentionally weakening the Empire. Gowron was way too canny to operate like this. He's out of character and goes out like a chump, it's an awful end for a good character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What You Leave Behind

And so it ends, pretty satisfactory series finale all around except for the nonsense with Dukat, Winn, and the Pah-Wraiths - and I say this as someone who usually likes the Prophets and mysticism.

On the whole, I liked this fresh viewing of DS9 for the first time since I was a kid, and certainly the first time seeing every episode in full. I liked DS9 a lot. You see the Federation on the frontier, where easy solutions aren't always possible and the characters have to live with the consequences of their actions week after week rather than jetting off to the next planet. A generally strong cast with great interpersonal chemistry, a clear vision of where the show would go, and a significant willingness to take risks make DS9 a good show with peaks of true excellence. There are some missteps to be sure - Worf and Jadzia are recurring weak links in the ensemble in my opinion, almost every romance was awful, I feel episodes like Pale Moonlight went too far, and I think the writers had no real idea what to do with some characters and ideas they had - but I generally enjoyed myself and on the whole had a good time.

My personal list of must-watch episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, in no particular order:

Emissary, Parts I & II: A great introduction to the show and way of showing the fallout of many of TNG's events, plus a great introduction to a group of omnipotent energy beings far more alien than Q ever was.

Duet: Courtroom dramas are usually a classic of Star Trek, and this is one of the finest for all that it never actually makes it to a courtroom. The episode's conclusions are shockingly brave for any television, and much needed today.

Far Beyond The Stars: Today's subject: racism in America with a side of examining what the art of writing means to authors, and a great mind-screw episode in the bargain.

Our Man Bashir: Love em or hate em, holodeck episodes are a staple element of Star Trek and this is one of the best, elevated immensely by Robinson's performance as Garak.

Trials and Tribble-ations: Good times all around, and a worthy 20th anniversary episode. I'm told this episode was expensive to produce, but worth every penny.

Homefront/Paradise Lost: The best 9/11 allegory you'll ever see in Star Trek, made years before 9/11 ever happened and still important today.

The Quickening: Medical drama episodes are common in Star Trek, but this one elevates the archetype well above the norm by its unusually nuanced exploration of the subject and the doctor character.

The Visitor: A story of love, family, and sacrifice with an unusual framing device. An absolute classic of DS9.

And my list of must watch episodes of Deep Space Nine:

Rocks and Shoals: If you're only going to watch one Dominion War episode, make it this one. Low on action, high on tension and drama and exploration of the meanings of loyalty, duty, and sacrifice.

Duet: gently caress you this deserves to be on here twice, everything you need to know about the Bajorans and Cardassians in forty-five minutes.

Hard Time: O'Brien Must Suffer is a Deep Space Nine tradition, and I feel this is the best of the lot.

Solders of the Empire: The Martok episode. I love DS9's episodes set on the Rotarran, and this is the best of them in my opinion.

Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast: Want to know why the Dominion is scary? Watch this two-parter.

Little Green Men: Got to have a Ferengi episode in here, and this one's a hoot.

It's Only A Paper Moon: Could belong on either list, but I don't think you'll ever find an episode dealing with hard and well with a subject like PTSD in any other Star Trek show.

In the Pale Moonlight: Love it or hate it, this is probably the most divisive episode of Star Trek ever aired and something that only Deep Space Nine could have done. Whether that's for good or for ill, I leave to you to decide.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wow tonight's Orville had Picardo in it

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Kassidy Yates isn't much of a character but Penny Johnson is a lot of fun to watch in that role. She gives me the impression of always being amused by the weird life around her but in a sympathetic and goodnatured way. I'd even consider watching The Orville because she's on it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Kassidy Yates isn't much of a character but Penny Johnson is a lot of fun to watch in that role. She gives me the impression of always being amused by the weird life around her but in a sympathetic and goodnatured way. I'd even consider watching The Orville because she's on it.

You should also consider watching it because it's good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I actually think her and Norm McDonald are two of the weakest links on the show. Johnson was good in the episode where Alana takes command, but she was pretty bad in the shuttle crash episode and the Naked Now ripoff.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Heh, there was actually a story in one of those "alternate timeline" story collections where the Andorians wound up founding a "Federation." IIRC, the premise with that one was that Surak was either never born or his reforms failed, so there was no Vulcan/Romulan split and the Vulcans had all but warred themselves into extinction.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ah, the Guy Fieri crossover episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marshal Radisic posted:

Heh, there was actually a story in one of those "alternate timeline" story collections where the Andorians wound up founding a "Federation." IIRC, the premise with that one was that Surak was either never born or his reforms failed, so there was no Vulcan/Romulan split and the Vulcans had all but warred themselves into extinction.
Yeah I believe it was Surak dies, Andorians make a proto-Federation where humans are more in the minority

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Cythereal posted:

The Krenim join the alliance during the Iconian War during a mini-arc that boils down to "Did no one learn ANYTHING from Year of Hell?!"

Well STO is basically all about rehashing stuff that's already happened on the show in increasingly absurd ways.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that by the end of the war (and especially after the attack on Earth), Starfleet didn't have enough Breen corpses to know all about their physiology(ies).

Not if the suit vapes them on death.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I generally prefer the ST novels' approach to things post-Nemesis, as opposed to what STO does. One smart thing they did was take out the Borg.

Stupidly

The best way to narratively deal with the Borg is have the Borg go 'welp, we've assimilated everything of use from them for now, and physically they're not special enough to be worth tromping all the way over there when we want to refill on drones, so we're done'

Wheezle posted:

Well STO is basically all about rehashing stuff that's already happened on the show in increasingly absurd ways.

Yeah, that's kinda the point of it. It's honestly kinda fun how ridiculous they get in tying them all together. I mean, the Krenim put their planet into a time bubble to escape an invasion by the vadwaaur, who had gone to war because their leaders were being controlled by the bugs from conspiracy , which were engineered as agents by the aliens from the pocket universe that was abducting people from TNG in Schisms, who in turn were servants of the Iconians and built the Dyson Sphere in Relics for them, which the Voth were now trying to claim because of the Omega Particle generators inside it so they could use them as weapons in their war against the Borg, although all of that got complicated after 8472 invaded the sphere as well because the Iconians were attacking them in fluidic space in fake Federation ships to goad them into messing us up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 17, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Adult Molly/deserted planet, that's my OTP

Clearly it's O'Brien/suffering.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Stupidly

The best way to narratively deal with the Borg is have the Borg go 'welp, we've assimilated everything of use from them for now, and physically they're not special enough to be worth tromping all the way over there when we want to refill on drones, so we're done'

Yeah, that's kinda the point of it. It's honestly kinda fun how ridiculous they get in tying them all together. I mean, the Krenim put their planet into a time bubble to escape an invasion by the vadwaaur, who had gone to war because their leaders were being controlled by the bugs from conspiracy , which were engineered as agents by the aliens from the pocket universe that was abducting people from TNG in Schisms, who in turn were servants of the Iconians and built the Dyson Sphere in Relics for them, which the Voth were now trying to claim because of the Omega Particle generators inside it so they could use them as weapons in their war against the Borg, although all of that got complicated after 8472 invaded the sphere as well because the Iconians were attacking them in fluidic space in fake Federation ships to goad them into messing us up.

It's as complicated as who backed who when and why in any pre World War I crisis

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

MikeJF posted:

It's really awful fanfic, but it REVELS in that fact.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wheezle posted:

It's really awful fanfic, but it REVELS in that fact.

Yeah I mean if you're going to bother you might as well say gently caress it and crank it to 11.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Meanwhile, the Benzites live on vape suits! :downsrim:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Doesn't sound any less sane than actual real life where you can could start a comma series with "he decided to call himself King in Prussia instead of King of Prussia" and end with "and that's why that fellow ran over those people in New York with a Home Depot truck."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Second Chances. There's Riker playing the trumpet again :D

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Couldn't tell if Riker didn't want to fulfill Troi's request of Night Bird or if he couldn't understand her because she pronounced it Night Börd

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

God this has been comfy. I don't even want to see why Data called him to the bridge that probably has to do with the planet being evacuated

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

HAHA WHAT

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:allears:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

No, I'M Will Riker

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So you can just make a copy of someone with a transporter? I guess it doesn't transport souls after all

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So you can just make a copy of someone with a transporter? I guess it doesn't transport souls after all

Look, the stratosphere was full of reverse tachyons and a quantum flux field and :techno:

You couldn't do it on a whim, from my understanding.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

One of the two is soulless

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wow Alt-Riker is just like "well I know you don't have any feelings for me anymore but I still have some for yo so I'm going to pursue that" to Troi

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It would be so funny if the Rikers ended up hating each other and became the inspiration for Karkat

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ooooooh poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Validation! I've been saying this for years. Second Chances is Exhibit A for the "The Transporters are Xeroxes" case.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Validation! I've been saying this for years. Second Chances is Exhibit A for the "The Transporters are Xeroxes" case.

No it was just a quantum burrito field supreme

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Uh oh, he's really going after Troi

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I swear Frakes is actually playing him a little different, like eye movements and voice and stuff. Would he have put that much effort in?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

drat this is heartbreaking

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh jeez accessing the core and getting killed by a cave in is going to be how they "deal with the loose end," I know it