Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
I like coats, I also like to pan people, mostly squadmembers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Talking of panning people

https://clips.twitch.tv/BoredCharmingPuffinCmonBruh?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anything that can be done to stop fps dropping when in a firefight?

On a somewhat old at this point computer with 8 gb ram and a GTX 660, runs the game at 40-45 fps on very low everything but once I get shot at the fps drops to 15-25 and that little second or two long slide-show means it's hard to win a close up fight.

Maybe the next patch will help with the fps issues?

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
You probably just need better hardware, honestly.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
So on occasion I'll peek out, exchange shots then get back behind cover and no longer have line of sight with an enemy, but I'll end up dying moments later. So I've been curious about what my ping actually is and what game server(s) I'm actually connecting to from California on the West coast.

If I join a solo FPP game, then check Resource Monitor -> Network Activity -> then look at the connections from TslGame.exe, I see the vast majority of data is being sent to/from ec2-34-205-64-70.compute-1.amazonaws.com, and then a fraction of data is being sent to/from ec2-52-14-36-175.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com

Looking up that address shows that this smaller connection is probably going to Ohio.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, it seems like I'm connecting to that East coast server (perhaps somewhat indirectly).

Does anyone know for sure if West coast servers actually exist for PUBG, and I don't suppose there's any way to specify a sub-region when matchmaking?

I just joined a solo TPP game just to see if perhaps FPP games are only East coast, but I got the same results.

Edit: Another potentially useful cross reference for Amazon servers

Varkas fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 18, 2017

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Varkas posted:

So on occasion I'll peek out, exchange shots then get back behind cover and no longer have line of sight with an enemy, but I'll end up dying moments later. So I've been curious about what my ping actually is and what game server(s) I'm actually connecting to from California on the West coast.

If I join a solo FPP game, then check Resource Monitor -> Network Activity -> then look at the connections from TslGame.exe, I see the vast majority of data is being sent to/from ec2-34-205-64-70.compute-1.amazonaws.com, and then a fraction of data is being sent to/from ec2-52-14-36-175.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com

Looking up that address shows that this smaller connection is probably going to Ohio.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, it seems like I'm connecting to that East coast server (perhaps somewhat indirectly).

Does anyone know for sure if West coast servers actually exist for PUBG, and I don't suppose there's any way to specify a sub-region when matchmaking?

I just joined a solo TPP game just to see if perhaps FPP games are only East coast, but I got the same results.

Edit: Another potentially useful cross reference for Amazon servers

What's your bosses account name so I can tell him to fire you?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anything that can be done to stop fps dropping when in a firefight?

On a somewhat old at this point computer with 8 gb ram and a GTX 660, runs the game at 40-45 fps on very low everything but once I get shot at the fps drops to 15-25 and that little second or two long slide-show means it's hard to win a close up fight.

Maybe the next patch will help with the fps issues?

Processor? Bumping a few graphics settings up may take some load off of your CPU, it's worth a try.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Processor? Bumping a few graphics settings up may take some load off of your CPU, it's worth a try.

intel core i5-4670 quad core 3.4 ghz, it's probably showing it's age by this point, but handles every other game on high or medium.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

intel core i5-4670 quad core 3.4 ghz, it's probably showing it's age by this point, but handles every other game on high or medium.

yeah its ur graphics card, i run a solid 70fps on that same cpu with a 1070

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And before I fill up the thread with more hardware talk, would a 8 GB ram to 16 GB ram change improve much of anything?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Yes, it's even in the WBG's OP.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
did they make a new map yet

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Banano posted:

did they make a new map yet

Yes. But you don't get it. To give it to you would be throwing it away.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bonk!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

always be closing posted:

Yes. But you don't get it. To give it to you would be throwing it away.

Put that chicken dinner down. You think I'm fuckin with you? I am not fuckin with you.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Cross posting from the Android gaming thread.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Looks like a PUBg like just came out on Android. It was called Rules of Survival, but now goes by Survivor Royale. Downloading now, I'll post about it once I give it a spin.

Edit:

Pretty much just as advertised. PUBg on your phone.

Difficult without a controller, voice comms, teams, squads, I couldn't get solo play to work. It's best to keep mics muted, the first thing I heard was someone taking a piss. Graphics aren't too bad, easily playable on my amazingly average LG K20 Plus.

In as Kabuki.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fun to play once then Uninstall

Lemon
May 22, 2003

So today I discovered that you can die from falling because you jumped out of a moving vehicle that is underwater.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I really like the new vehicle physics, you can do proper J turns now https://clips.twitch.tv/PreciousWildTardigradeOpieOP

Are you suggesting that there are issues with the turning physics?
https://plays.tv/video/59b32d60c3bb353aa9/steer-into-the-skid-?from=user

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is a fun bug: I can't join games any more, it seems. Solo, duo, or squad, I hit ready and it just hangs on that splash screen, for some reason I can't seem to get in. I've verified my game files, no problems there. Any other ideas?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is a fun bug: I can't join games any more, it seems. Solo, duo, or squad, I hit ready and it just hangs on that splash screen, for some reason I can't seem to get in. I've verified my game files, no problems there. Any other ideas?
I had this happen once and I had to reboot, completely exit and re-login to steam to fix it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bhodi posted:

I had this happen once and I had to reboot, completely exit and re-login to steam to fix it.

Tried that too. No joy.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Shooting Blanks posted:

Tried that too. No joy.

Did you restart your PC

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yep

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Yodzilla posted:

Turns out my issue was running it borderless windowed instead of standard fullscreen. Once I went fullscreen it smoothed completely out and I can run it on high at 1440p just fine. It's a shame though because now none of my overlays work.

Oh drat I should see if this fixes my framerate issues, there's no way I should be getting like 20fps with a GTX 1070.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This observing in this IEM Oakland PUBG tournament is loving bad. The tournament is borderline unwatchable.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This observing in this IEM Oakland PUBG tournament is loving bad. The tournament is borderline unwatchable.

Nah, Pansy is very good, and Toffee is also a chill guy.

I'm sitting in Break's stream, and we are having a great time.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I think he means the person controlling the camera, and it has been really bad. Some of the other tournaments have much better observers controlling the camera.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

King of False Promises posted:

I think he means the person controlling the camera, and it has been really bad. Some of the other tournaments have much better observers controlling the camera.

I just realised. :) Yeah, Pansy has been giving them a lot of poo poo over it. Some details about the tourney: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/pubg/Intel_Extreme_Masters/Season_XII/Oakland

But apparently Pansy is not doing the rest of the matches today? Back tomorrow.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yeah the casters are good, but the guy doing obs is either extremely slow or always looking at random people that aren’t in a fight ever.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Wasn't someone saying that it takes the obs like 20 seconds to switch views or something because the objects take so long to res in properly?

Shame as it makes tracking action happening almost impossible.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IPA Regulations posted:

Wasn't someone saying that it takes the obs like 20 seconds to switch views or something because the objects take so long to res in properly?

Shame as it makes tracking action happening almost impossible.

If that’s true that really sucks and this game is straight up not ready for any type of tournament to be watched. There’s also big frame rate problems sometimes too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

this game is straight up not ready

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Camera work is loving garbage as usual. Nothing's improved since Gamescom. Both Bluehole and ESL haven't done poo poo to improve the spectating experience, but hey, who can turn down all that sponsorship money. They also really need to have a separate map-only stream or something. Too many missed moments where we're either looking at a map, playing Sim City or intensely examining the bark of a tree.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there any compelling reason to broadcast this live? Couldn't you have a bit of a delay and cut together some overhead stuff and the actual screens of the players where the action is? Until spectator is fixed, anyway.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, that was loving hype. After game 1 of 4 today, TSM was dead last with terrible luck on the first drop, in 20th place overall. Then some decent results, and in game 4 an incredibly tense chicken dinner to end the day in 1st place overall.

The chat was insane.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
PubG really needs two streams, where one stream is a silent view of the map and the other is actual combat. Then I can watch them side by side.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

Constellation I posted:

Camera work is loving garbage as usual. Nothing's improved since Gamescom. Both Bluehole and ESL haven't done poo poo to improve the spectating experience, but hey, who can turn down all that sponsorship money. They also really need to have a separate map-only stream or something. Too many missed moments where we're either looking at a map, playing Sim City or intensely examining the bark of a tree.

I would argue it was worse because they didn't allow player streams this time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
HELLO! AND WELCOME TO MOVIEPHONE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VGVRX2sqy8

Kind of a cool death effect from driving with the horn blasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

siriuslysomething posted:

I would argue it was worse because they didn't allow player streams this time.

I was watching some of the Asian events and they were actually pretty smooth. They had picture-in-picture for map and observer mode stuff and poo poo was always action-packed. The observer mode definitely still needs a lot of work, but seems like ESL is also just complete rear end at production.

EDIT: Holy gently caress they have post-game analysis where it's like a goddamn weather report.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 19, 2017

• Locked thread