Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Brb selling my Rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

One hundred and fifty loving dollars

Those trackers better be made out of solid heroin

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lemming posted:

One hundred and fifty loving dollars

Those trackers better be made out of solid heroin

They are, it's called nostalgia - The most potent opiate known to nerds

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its a pretty okay deal TBH, the tracker itself is 100 alone + it comes with Duck Season. So you're spending like $20 for the gun.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Its a pretty okay deal TBH, the tracker itself is 100 alone + it comes with Duck Season. So you're spending like $20 for the gun.

Yeah I know the tracker is the expensive part, it's just bullshit that the trackers are that expensive

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah but I'd have to give Stress Level Zero more money, no thanks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but I'd have to give Stress Level Zero more money, no thanks.

Show me on the doll where they touched you :(

I kid, But really. Why? Duck Season was good fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What are the best demo games out right? Other than Superhot and Gorn. Right now its those, tilt brush, and the lab (archery and slingshot) as my goto demo experiences but I wouldnt mind replacing one of those in the rotation.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GlyphGryph posted:

What are the best demo games out right? Other than Superhot and Gorn. Right now its those, tilt brush, and the lab (archery and slingshot) as my goto demo experiences but I wouldnt mind replacing one of those in the rotation.

Rift side you have Robo Recall. Great game to throw someone into.

Space Pirate Trainer is good.

Catlateral Damage is loving hilarious (replay is low, its gimmicky, buy it on sale) and would be a riot watching someone play it.

Theres games like soundboxing that are easy to pick up, but are "work outs" so you'll have sweaty people. So I personally don't recommend em.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

GlyphGryph posted:

I like space pirate trainer for demoing, though it's fun to put on Arizona Sunshine horde mode and watch newbies fire all their bullets wildly at the first zombie, miss every time, forget how to reload and get killed.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

GlyphGryph posted:

Richie's Plank Experience is great for demos (and nothing else really). Compound can be really good (maybe a little hard for first-timers though). Job Simulator has pretty universal appeal and is very easy to pick up and play. Pipejob is loving hilarious and disgusting to watch people play.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
So today the PayDay2 VR update 1.1 dropped which added Oculus support. I tried it and I lasted about 5 minutes before I had to stop because it was just so bad.

I had an M16 which was implemented as a two handed assault rifle, and that part seemed to work well. But if you start using the M16 in two handed mode you start running into the most glaring horrible flaw the game has, the locomotion. While you are two handing the M16 your movement ability is basically really short steps in one direction, forwards. That being said, the M16 had a better feel to it than I gave them credit for being able to do given their choice of locomotion. So, if they add real FPS locomotion to the game there might be something there worth playing.

The teleportation locomotion is so unbelievably bad I don't really understand how something like this makes it into VR in TYOOL 2017 where VR FPS games optimal locomotion methods are a totally figured out thing. Teleportation is a bad locomotion for VR games in general, and especially for anything you attempt to play like a normal FPS, like say, an actual normal FPS that had VR added onto it. When your controls conflict with each other (two handing the M16 kind of breaks teleportation locomotion) you have an obviously broken system and you don't ship it, you fix it, even in a beta

Other notes.
The controls are pretty bad, you use like trigger on some square to switch between your rifle and pistol, I think? And then when you are holding your rifle you press grip to eject the mag for... reasons? And then to reload you can slam the gun into the ammo square on the belt OR pick up a mag with the belt ammo square with your off hand. Weird to have both. Also you use grip to grab the front of the rifle and hold it to keep using it, this is bad.
The belt control system was pretty horrible, but I can quite easily see it as a simple test implementation to get VR going while a better more appropriate inventory/management system is created.

If they keep updating the VR beta frequently there could be something playable that gets squeezed out, possibly by accident.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Show me on the doll where they touched you :(

I kid, But really. Why? Duck Season was good fun.

Hover Junkers was so bad that I don't want to buy any of their games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I liked Hover Junkers

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

I liked Hover Junkers

I thought it kinda looks neat too

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My fav demos are still First Contact and The Lab - I think those are excellent for first timers

EbolaIvory posted:

I thought it kinda looks neat too

I bought it for a buddy on Steam and he says no one ever plays it :(

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

rage-saq posted:

And then when you are holding your rifle you press grip to eject the mag for... reasons? And then to reload you can slam the gun into the ammo square on the belt OR pick up a mag with the belt ammo square with your off hand. Weird to have both. Also you use grip to grab the front of the rifle and hold it to keep using it, this is bad.

The grip reloading feels OK on the Vive at least. It will reload automatically if you just eject the mag, it shows a progress bar for it on the gun hud.

But yeah, the locomotion is horrible. If you try to run, you get the really jerky almost-teleports between periods of standing still. Trackpad locomotion doesn't make me sick, but this almost does.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure that gun even comes with the tracker. it says it's 'vive tracker ready' and if the tracker is 100 the game is 20 that only leaves 30 for a custom design zapper with vive buttons?

quote:

Improve your aim and shoot like a true marksman in Duck Season – a classic game reimagined for modern VR that pairs perfectly with Blaster’s iconic, retro design. The Blaster features a mechanical trigger with a nostalgic click, two Grip buttons, two Menu buttons, and a single-function trackpad button. Attach your Vive Tracker to your Blaster and hit your target every time!
insanely misleading

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

I'm not sure that gun even comes with the tracker. it says it's 'vive tracker ready' and if the tracker is 100 the game is 20 that only leaves 30 for a custom design zapper with vive buttons?
insanely misleading

Woooooow

That is really starting to sound lovely. I mean. It was silly before but now? What a joke!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here it is on the Vive site, it does include the tracker https://www.vive.com/us/VR-hyperkin-hyper-blaster-with-tracker/

I'm guessing they just reused the copy from a non-bundled version (that I can't find anywhere)

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
How are you going to improve your aim when the sights are blocked by the tracker?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Walrus posted:

insanely misleading

The amazon page includes the vive tracker by itself. If they don't include it, then they are intentionally misleading people.

PenisMonkey posted:

How are you going to improve your aim when the sights are blocked by the tracker?

lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

PenisMonkey posted:

They may have thought of this by not including the tracker.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

"Haptic feedback for realistic recoil" made me lol

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

rage-saq posted:

So today the PayDay2 VR update 1.1 dropped which added Oculus support. I tried it and I lasted about 5 minutes before I had to stop because it was just so bad.

I had an M16 which was implemented as a two handed assault rifle, and that part seemed to work well. But if you start using the M16 in two handed mode you start running into the most glaring horrible flaw the game has, the locomotion. While you are two handing the M16 your movement ability is basically really short steps in one direction, forwards. That being said, the M16 had a better feel to it than I gave them credit for being able to do given their choice of locomotion. So, if they add real FPS locomotion to the game there might be something there worth playing.

The teleportation locomotion is so unbelievably bad I don't really understand how something like this makes it into VR in TYOOL 2017 where VR FPS games optimal locomotion methods are a totally figured out thing. Teleportation is a bad locomotion for VR games in general, and especially for anything you attempt to play like a normal FPS, like say, an actual normal FPS that had VR added onto it. When your controls conflict with each other (two handing the M16 kind of breaks teleportation locomotion) you have an obviously broken system and you don't ship it, you fix it, even in a beta

Other notes.
The controls are pretty bad, you use like trigger on some square to switch between your rifle and pistol, I think? And then when you are holding your rifle you press grip to eject the mag for... reasons? And then to reload you can slam the gun into the ammo square on the belt OR pick up a mag with the belt ammo square with your off hand. Weird to have both. Also you use grip to grab the front of the rifle and hold it to keep using it, this is bad.
The belt control system was pretty horrible, but I can quite easily see it as a simple test implementation to get VR going while a better more appropriate inventory/management system is created.

If they keep updating the VR beta frequently there could be something playable that gets squeezed out, possibly by accident.

The game has to match VR movement to regular movement, so the way it works is the 'teleport dash' has the player avatar sprint, which is why if you try moving a bunch it takes time for the max teleport range to increase. Also when I did it a ton I got to hear Ron Perlman suffer an asthma attack as my stamina hit 0. Two handing a gun = aiming down the sights for mechanical reasons, which also drops your movement speed. I'll give it a go with the skill that lets you move at normal speed while ADS and see if that works as intended.

This would obviously be solved with trackpad/joystick loco like in Pavlov, hopefully Overkill get that working soon. The current system also has a freakout if you try to move past large objects, refusing you let you go around it unless you can find the 'sweet spot'.

I didn't mind the belt system concept, just needs some tweaks to make it less intrusive. The reloading system is weird but once you get used to it, it's actually fun, and I say that as this threads primary H3VR promoting gun sperg (also the new Take and Hold mode in the last update is great, so that's a new full 'game' in this sandbox :v: ) The one massive advantage of the system is that you can force reload with a partial magazine by grabbing the new mag zone thing while it's still going, and slamming it into the gun. So if you just need a new more rounds in a hurry to kill something, it's a viable strategy.

So yeah, currently it's clunky as gently caress and priced accordingly (free) but it's not salvageable and personally, I've been enjoying it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Paingod556 posted:

The game has to match VR movement to regular movement, so the way it works is the 'teleport dash' has the player avatar sprint, which is why if you try moving a bunch it takes time for the max teleport range to increase. Also when I did it a ton I got to hear Ron Perlman suffer an asthma attack as my stamina hit 0. Two handing a gun = aiming down the sights for mechanical reasons, which also drops your movement speed. I'll give it a go with the skill that lets you move at normal speed while ADS and see if that works as intended.

This would obviously be solved with trackpad/joystick loco like in Pavlov, hopefully Overkill get that working soon. The current system also has a freakout if you try to move past large objects, refusing you let you go around it unless you can find the 'sweet spot'.

I didn't mind the belt system concept, just needs some tweaks to make it less intrusive. The reloading system is weird but once you get used to it, it's actually fun, and I say that as this threads primary H3VR promoting gun sperg (also the new Take and Hold mode in the last update is great, so that's a new full 'game' in this sandbox :v: ) The one massive advantage of the system is that you can force reload with a partial magazine by grabbing the new mag zone thing while it's still going, and slamming it into the gun. So if you just need a new more rounds in a hurry to kill something, it's a viable strategy.

So yeah, currently it's clunky as gently caress and priced accordingly (free) but it's not salvageable and personally, I've been enjoying it.

Can you explain the reload? I don't get it. Maybe even explain it like I'm 4 years old. Thought you like, slammed it down to the "gun area" or whatever on your right, but nope. so ive just been letting the timer do its thing and wiggling my gun around.

IF this game gets proper locomotion, theres a gem hiding here. Beyond the bullshit teleporting that makes you feel like you're whiplashing, its actually way more fun than regular payday 2 (to me). The whole shooting rifles with 1 hand like pistols is hilarious and arcade fun so all that kind of nonsense don't bother me being goofy broken. But holy poo poo the whiplash this teleport has. Woof.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

EbolaIvory posted:

Can you explain the reload? I don't get it. Maybe even explain it like I'm 4 years old. Thought you like, slammed it down to the "gun area" or whatever on your right, but nope. so ive just been letting the timer do its thing and wiggling my gun around.

IF this game gets proper locomotion, theres a gem hiding here. Beyond the bullshit teleporting that makes you feel like you're whiplashing, its actually way more fun than regular payday 2 (to me). The whole shooting rifles with 1 hand like pistols is hilarious and arcade fun so all that kind of nonsense don't bother me being goofy broken. But holy poo poo the whiplash this teleport has. Woof.

I'm still uploading video, where A- I get a good handle on how to reload, and B- one of my mates, after I mentioned being disorientated while 'jumping', suggested doing 'Birth of Sky' :ohdear:

I also don't recommend trying to 'jump' down heights, like from first to ground floor in Stealing Xmas. I'm well used to the feeling from a lot of VR time, but even that throws me off.

As for reloading, the way it works is-
1- Press the Grip on your gun hand once to eject your mag
2- Look at the belt slot front and centre- it will start a count up to how big the magazine is. When the count is complete, shove your gun hand through it and it should reload.
3- At any time up to and including when the count is complete, you can use your non-gun hand to grab the magazine (hand in the reload area, Grip to grab the mag) and then load it in. Theres a lot of leeway there, you just need to get the mag near the magazine well and it'll work. If you grab the magazine before the count is done, it will do a partial reload of how many bullets it got up to.

So if you rock a Thompson (and you should, going Chicago style on cops feel fantastic) a full reload is 50 rounds. If you grab the mag when it's only halfway, it'll reload with only 25 rounds.

Also the save game swap worked and I'm going to try a full Akimbo build, and to see how it handles the LMG bipods now I've got my MAG58 back.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Paingod556 posted:

I'm still uploading video, where A- I get a good handle on how to reload, and B- one of my mates, after I mentioned being disorientated while 'jumping', suggested doing 'Birth of Sky' :ohdear:

I also don't recommend trying to 'jump' down heights, like from first to ground floor in Stealing Xmas. I'm well used to the feeling from a lot of VR time, but even that throws me off.

As for reloading, the way it works is-
1- Press the Grip on your gun hand once to eject your mag
2- Look at the belt slot front and centre- it will start a count up to how big the magazine is. When the count is complete, shove your gun hand through it and it should reload.
3- At any time up to and including when the count is complete, you can use your non-gun hand to grab the magazine (hand in the reload area, Grip to grab the mag) and then load it in. Theres a lot of leeway there, you just need to get the mag near the magazine well and it'll work. If you grab the magazine before the count is done, it will do a partial reload of how many bullets it got up to.

So if you rock a Thompson (and you should, going Chicago style on cops feel fantastic) a full reload is 50 rounds. If you grab the mag when it's only halfway, it'll reload with only 25 rounds.

Also the save game swap worked and I'm going to try a full Akimbo build, and to see how it handles the LMG bipods now I've got my MAG58 back.

For what its worth, My VR legs are ok and the moving from top to bottom was ok. The teleporting itself has this weird weird weird, whiplashing feeling to it. Its not snap smooth like robo recall or whatever. I'll mess with it some more. I'm hopeful I can either get used to it, or they get enough initial outcry for real locomotion they just slap something in asap because I really feel like this game will be a poo poo ton of fun when little things like that (lol, little) get sorted out its gonna be doooope. And free? High five Devs/Publishers.

I'll try and pay more attention to the middle of my belt, Thanks for the explanation.

Wait wait, Gamesave swap? Do tell.
EDIT :Found it. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1202854727

Heres to hoping the cloud has my old normal save, that'll be super cool. Cool it did. Hopefully it works.
EDIT 2. Success!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 18, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you don't like the gun maybe you'd rather have the Racket Sports Bundle aka the homewrecker

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tennis is specifically a VR game I can't play because there's a projector hanging out on my ceiling.

(it's been hit a bunch of times already anyway)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A golf club would probably be okay for something like Cloudlands because you're just putting.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

rage-saq posted:

Now this appears to be like a 45gb download to me? Could that possibly be right? Steam is telling me that my C:\ has 12XXXMb free and the game requires 45XXXMb.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

AgentF posted:

Now this appears to be like a 45gb download to me? Could that possibly be right? Steam is telling me that my C:\ has 12XXXMb free and the game requires 45XXXMb.

For the entire game? Yes. Overkill is bad at limiting bloat

You then need to activate the beta in the Steam options. That goes for anyone who wants to play it normally with VR people. Which I've done both ways and is seamless.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AgentF posted:

The patch to add VR was only like, 100 megs.

If you don't have it installed, Yeah its big. Lots of poo poo.

After playing more of it. Its fun. I really really hope they fix the locomotion but im having a good time.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not hugely into Payday VR. The VR features are very conservative and almost naive, like the developers hadn't tried any other VR content that was available in order to gauge what works. The "belt" is ugly and really clumsy to use, there are plenty of examples of games handling managing equipment in far more immersive and practical ways than this. Also what is up with that tablet? It's obviously terrible to use and I can't imagine it would've been hard to fix.

That being said I didn't really dig the original version of the game either.

EDIT: Actually I think what pissed me off was the first time I walked up to a vault and thought "oh cool I'm gonna frantically stuff a bag full of gold bars like they do in the movies". On a game played on a flat screen this kind of action is always represented as the player mashing a button, QTE, or just pressing the activate button. Even in the most immersive games input is abstracted to the point where you still feel like you're manipulating a puppet rather than feeling like you're there.

The reason why I like VR is because it doesn't feel like you're a puppet. You're there, doing all the things. Unless you're playing a port like Payday VR where you instead hold the grip button next the objective point for a while as a flat circle in front of you draws itself.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 18, 2017

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Someone already made a trackpad locomotion mod for Payday 2.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/payday-2-vr-mod/discussions/0/2425614539579129482/

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Is this the first day the Oculus "Complete your Collection" packs started?

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-complete-your-collection-packs-on-rift-plus-more-holiday-treats-in-store/

Packs are $100 or less (depending on what you already own) for 7 games, some of the games on there are $40-50 by themselves right now. I was waiting for Lone Echo and Mage's Tale to drop in price, anything that's available on Steam I would rather get there. Lasts until December 1st

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pack 1 interests me for Mage's Tale and Space Pirate trainer, but are Eagle Flight and Blaze Rush even sort of good? I feel like Eagle Flight is on the tech demo level and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say anything about Blaze Rush.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Boxman posted:

Pack 1 interests me for Mage's Tale and Space Pirate trainer, but are Eagle Flight and Blaze Rush even sort of good? I feel like Eagle Flight is on the tech demo level and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say anything about Blaze Rush.

Blaze Rush has been around since dk2. It got praise back then as a micro machines kind of rc car racer. Haven't heard much since consumer release though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Boxman posted:

I doubt you'll find anyone online for blaze rush's multiplayer, but I never even played the multiplayer and enjoyed it. Its not some AAA adventure, but its a fun little game. It's like playing RC Pro-Am, micro-machines, or some old arcadey racer like that, except everything is happening like little toys in front of you. It really depends on if you like games like that, if you do, you'll get some fun out of. Its well made for what it is, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't say Eagle Flight is a tech demo exactly... I mean it is a full open world with missions and races and things to do around an overgrown paris but, yeah, you're doubtful to find anyone online (even though its crossplayable with steam and psvr), and I honestly don't know how much content there is in total to it.