Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
You planning on covering Chaos stuff?

Don't want to accidentally put a spoiler up if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

You planning on covering Chaos stuff?

Don't want to accidentally put a spoiler up if so.

Possibly. I'm torn between doing the other routes, or the end game coda, leaning towards the coda.

Feel free to talk about other routes but don't go "past" where we are in the story now

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Possibly. I'm torn between doing the other routes, or the end game coda, leaning towards the coda.

Feel free to talk about other routes but don't go "past" where we are in the story now

In that case, I thought I'd mention that you do in fact get an extended scene here on Chaos (or neutral, Boo, hiss) if you have the other sister(s) here. It even foreshadows the next plot line, which is a nice little feature.

Though that does bring up some fridge logic - why in the absolute hell did Cerya not say something earlier about this whole mess? Surely, being the oldest, she could have cleared up a few things all the way back in chapter 2C, or at least in 3C (She's too busy saying you suck in 3N).

One more reason why Law makes the most sense I guess.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 5, 2017

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tithin posted:

I'd love to see the end game coda, because I've never seen it before. Played the PSX game to death, but the coda's entirely new content.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. I'm surprised that going unarmed works.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I uh, just realised when looking over that last post that I've double triple posted some screenshots over some pretty important dialogue, including the one where Prancet actually passes away and Levi's reaction. That's been fixed now.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
If Cerya and Cistina had been with you (Chaos), they would have commented on how the Hagia Shrine belongs to Ishtar, but nobody knows about that anymore.

Ishtar is the goddess of light, daughter of Philaha in Roshfel-ism. This viewpoint is VERY frowned on by Lodis; because Roshfel-ism is polytheistic, with Philaha as the "Zeus" type, and Lodis declares him to be a monotheistic, with Philaha being the Yahweh-type.

Amidst other politics that Dorgalua did; he set up a Monotheistic order very similar to Lodis-ism. His biggest rival (we'll mention him later) represented polytheism. Which means that his war was Philaha Vs Philaha.

We've met angels in previous Ogre Battle Games, and they never gave a hoot what humans believed....yet I suspect this had bigger spiritual ramifications that anybody thought; and I'll mention them when we get there.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

mauman posted:

In that case, I thought I'd mention that you do in fact get an extended scene here on Chaos (or neutral, Boo, hiss) if you have the other sister(s) here. It even foreshadows the next plot line, which is a nice little feature.

Though that does bring up some fridge logic - why in the absolute hell did Cerya not say something earlier about this whole mess? Surely, being the oldest, she could have cleared up a few things all the way back in chapter 2C, or at least in 3C (She's too busy saying you suck in 3N).

One more reason why Law makes the most sense I guess.

She probably didn't think it mattered. She's more of a revolutionary than Vice ever was and was willing to pretend being rough to Sisteena so that she wouldn't be tainted by the conflict. Some kid she used to know seems more of an annoyance than anything else.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What an interesting world these games take place in.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I mean, you casually have Angels, Vampyres, Demons, and Gorgons randomly popping up into the world and no one really seems to ever really bat an eye because petty human POLITICS are all that people are ever concerned about.

My favorite was that random county in OB64 in the middle of nowhere that was taken over by a Vampyre and no one there gave a poo poo because they were actually better off with the Vampyre rather than getting involved in the war.
It's a completely optional stage, and if you actually do invade the region to "liberate" the area from the Vampyre, your Chaos Frame takes a big hit and when you visit the villages all of the townspeople just ask wtf you are doing there.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So any advice for post game grinding to get the materials needed to actually get upgraded weapons?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

So any advice for post game grinding to get the materials needed to actually get upgraded weapons?

uh...

What upgraded weapons are you talking about?

Because either my answer is "gamefaqs has some good guides for this stuff" or "don't bother because by the time you get to that point you'll be stupidly over powered anyways and there are better ways to crush your soul into a million pieces".

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I like cheating, myself.

I cheated and...more or less...did what was necessary to get all the items/weapons/things and it was ridiculous.

If you just want to be strong, then the Cursed Weapons formerly known as Snapshot / Snapdragon are fine.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 11, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hunt11 posted:

Embrace despair.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FairGame posted:

I'd love to see the end game coda, because I've never seen it before. Played the PSX game to death, but the coda's entirely new content.

I finally did it this year. It was worth it as a mega fan, but I wouldn't have been able to do the coda without copious abuse of using the AI to auto battles without pits.

There are 4 "episodes" to the post game. Parts 2 and 4 will make you very happy as someone who played a ton of TO on PSX.

There is also a certain fight that almosf made me break my Vita. I thought everyone was exaggerating how hard the fight is. They are not. It is miserable.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

I finally did it this year. It was worth it as a mega fan, but I wouldn't have been able to do the coda without copious abuse of using the AI to auto battles without pits.

There are 4 "episodes" to the post game. Parts 2 and 4 will make you very happy as someone who played a ton of TO on PSX.

There is also a certain fight that almosf made me break my Vita. I thought everyone was exaggerating how hard the fight is. They are not. It is miserable.

I've heard of that fight. I don't know much about the CODA, but I had heard that

that it was basically Levi, Catiua and Vyce against the entire dark knights?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tithin posted:

I've heard of that fight. I don't know much about the CODA, but I had heard that

That is only if you want a certain sword. If you can live without that one sword, you can deploy everyone.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

That is only if you want a certain sword. If you can live without that one sword, you can deploy everyone.

Personally I find that the main draw of doing that is the ability to kill Lans (he normally runs away if you have anybody else). The sword is useless, cuz who the hell are you going to use it on at this point, plus it's not a guarantee drop so you have to save scum like mad (Chariot won't work in this case)

I find going for your bit to be to much of a hassle.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

The Coda is more than one thing.

It's (I'm TRIPLE-CHECKING I've got the spoiler tags right)

Rescue Canopus's sister who is possessed by a Wicce spirit.
Find a Chaos Gate below the bottom floor of the Palace of the Dead, aka the Hellgate and rescue Warren. aka what happened to the guy who represented polytheism[
Go back in time and rescue Good Lans from getting captured.
Go back in time? (maybe) and stop the Dark Knights from destroying the Trio's village and capturing Levi's father.

Not technically part of the Coda is another bonus dungeon, The San Brosa Ruins and the Tower of Eternal Law, aka where the hell the angels have been.

Scattered amid this are the 12 Heavenly Generals, who we kill for....um...giggles? And loot.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just as a heads up I have the next mission played, I just need to write it. I've not forgotten this dusty old thing.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

No. That fight wasn't any worse than some of the harder ones in the game. The one I am talking about involves a suicidal AI.

Major spoilers here

The fight where you rescue Warren at the end of episode 2 of the Coda is awful. Just awful. Warren is suicidal AI. He starts off by himself waaay far away from your party. Oh and the majority of enemy units are dopplegangers so the OP dudes you've been grinding all game one shot Warren. But there is still an actual boss to beat so you can't just bring trash. Bringing a full army of 12 is a trap imo. If Warren dies it's instant game over. He dies a lot.

I did it by doing the tried and true suicidal AI method, naked Canopus and naked Ravness as decoys along with 5 of my other best characters with no magic and no projectile weapons.

I was doing this while going for the No CHARIOT title. Let's not talk about how many attempts it took to do so. I felt like Shiny Ponyta kid when I finally beat it, but without SUM41 playing.

Edit: I'll try to take a picture of some of the stats of my units after uhhh... lets just say many... hours of play.

waah fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 16, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

No CHARIOT title

I may be crazy to do legal stat grinding and legal item creation.

But I ain't THAT crazy :shepface:

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Warning to anybody who looks at a list of the titles, major spoilers.

Regarding getting those titles, like I said earlier, I cheat.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 51 - EXPOSITION

We're actually going to have some combat this Episode! for the first time in what feels like a while. This chapter loves to throw exposition at you.

BUT FIRST, MORE EXPOSITION.

: Let us hope he is all right... *cough* *cough*

: You should get some rest. Your wounds have yet to fully mend.

: I'm fine. I think I've staved off death another day.

: Sir Warren, there was something I wanted to ask you.

: This has the sound of something serious.

Levi's grown a lot since the naive youth we inherited in Ch1.

: If your ends are the same as Lodis, I would ask you to return to Xenobia.

: Hrm...

: If you've another purpose here, perhaps I can help.

: I already told you. We were banished.

: The truth, Warren!

Levi's done with being bullshitted.

: We are here on an errand for our king. But I assure you, we have no designs on Valeria. Our true purpose is quite different...

-----------//-----------

: Fool a friend to fool a foe - or so they say. We deserve no less.

: The safekeeping of the blade was our sworn duty. On the honor of the Holy Knights, we will return Brynhildr to its rightful place.

: Your Majesty.

-----------//-----------

: Brynhildr.... All this intrigue over a sword?

: And it was the Dark Knights who stole it.

: Quite right. We were convinced they had taken the sword to Lodis, yet all the while it was in Valeria.

: Did they bring it here as mere subterfuge, or for some deeper purpose? We must...must find out. *cough* *cough*

: I mislike the sound of that cough. You had better rest now.

: Think no more on the sword. We will find it, and when we do, it will be safe.

: I've no doubt of that, Levi. Thank you.

-----------//-----------

Off for a fight!

Easy enough.

Condition(s): Kill LeRozza.

Red
LeRozza (Warlock)
W. Archer
P. Wizard
H. Terror Knight
U. Rogue
Flame Dragon
Dark Dragon
U. Familiar
H. Dragoon
R. Warrior
H. Wizard
H. Rune Fencer

An easy enough fight, though it's presented as easier than it is. We have natural lava chokepoints which against humanoids are fine, excepting that dragons are immune to level, so if you setup your squishies along the lava bank the enemy dragons will happily jump into the lava and take a chunk from them.

Old man murder locks down the Dark Dragon on the west flank of the map giving us a bit of breathing room, our archers then begin pelting the poo poo out of it.

As evidenced :v:

Enemy imp / familiar / thing flanks Nerraw on the east and begins hitting him with a poison dart, which not only hits him but also hits him with the poison.

Ever cognizant of the actual threats, Nerraw shackles the Flame Dragoon.

The enemy doesn't have quite enough movement to reach our guys, so we're moving up after their moves and beating the poo poo out of them.

The northwestern most familiar appears to be a mage type and hits old man murder with a Sparksphere 2 for 43 damage. Bear this in mind for when the boss does a Sparksphere 1 :v:

With our north flank mostly secure, we move our archers to taking out the flanking enemies at our south east.

Jeunan doesn't have quite enough TP to land a Dragon Slayer yet, so he sticks the dragon with the pointy end of the stick to get some more TP.

:geno:

I'm starting to think that Levi might be too tanky.

the boss finally enters the fray and drops an 88 damage sparksphere 1 on old man murder.

The damage starts flying thick and fast, mainly on our side, as we take down the dragon and two enemies in short succession. Levi is just too tanky for the enemy to cope with and stalls their melee by preventing them from getting past, and the enemys spellcaster because well, they just don't do much damage to him.

Well poo poo, looks like we're not the only ones who can put 2+2 together.

-----------//-----------

: Balxephon admitted to the lie. You heard him, Volaq.

: It's his brother, after all.

: Balxephon has shown poor judgement, but who are we to find fault?

: Men are governed by passion. Rules and reason are not enough to bind them.

Hmmmm :thunk:

: To say nothing of my parents, House Glacius...even Lodis!

: I know, but the high champion's orders are quite clear.

: He's to be charged for his crimes after his return to Lodis.

: Do you not think the high champion knew of all this?

: Speak no more, Ozma. Return with me to the high champion. For my sake, if not your own.

tithin fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 23, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

2 things:

1/ For those who have finished the law route, are we on the right track to recruiting Ozma? I think we're missing an event prior to this that shows up in the script, but I've followed the guide to the letter and it hasn't triggered :smith:

2/ Should we class change Levi, and if so to what?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tithin posted:

2 things:

1/ For those who have finished the law route, are we on the right track to recruiting Ozma? I think we're missing an event prior to this that shows up in the script, but I've followed the guide to the letter and it hasn't triggered :smith:

Going of Game faq if you go over to Krizar then the needed battle should trigger.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

tithin posted:

2 things:

pretty sure you're on the right track.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

tithin posted:

This sounds right. I think you have to clear the Hagia and then see the next scene at Phidoch after it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Feeling lazy to go look, but did we read "A Rift in the Dark Knights" at the beginning of the chapter?

Cuz that might be a problem if we didn't

Otherwise I can't think of anything else that might be wrong.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, update 49.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord, Warren's got the Anime Coughs. Poor old fool.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Ah, Brynhildr, aka Brunhild.

In the original Tactics Ogre, it was crucial for the best ending. (It was also ANNOYINGLY out of the way.)

It's a really good magic sword, but more importantly, it's a key. It can open ANYTHING sealed. Good? Bad? Prophecy saying you can only do it when Great Birnam Wood to high Dunsinane Hill? Doesn't matter.

In game it could be used to access special stages (Floating Islands) containing servants of the Gods. It could also be used to release a Demon Lord (really, don't do that.) Fun fact, that Demon Lord Galf is mentioned in the Dark Spells later.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

In the original Tactics Ogre, it was crucial for the best ending.

:confused:

Do you mean Ogre Battle?

For Tactics Ogre, I could have sworn it's in the same location as the remake.

Also, speaking of Galf, I do appreciate a game that makes you WORK for the "You dun hosed up the extra mile" ending.

Glazius posted:

Oh lord, Warren's got the Anime Coughs. Poor old fool.

Pish Posh...Warren has stamina to spare.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 18, 2017

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It sucks being the one decent person in an army of evil bastards.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Yes, I meant Ogre Battle. Whups. Fortunately not a spoiler.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

mauman posted:

:confused:

Do you mean Ogre Battle?

For Tactics Ogre, I could have sworn it's in the same location as the remake.

Also, speaking of Galf, I do appreciate a game that makes you WORK for the "You dun hosed up the extra mile" ending.

Pish Posh...Warren has stamina to spare.

Yeah man, that ending is absolutely brutal. One of the better bad endings in gaming for sure.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Feel free to share for those of us who haven't played it!

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Sure!

In ''Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen"

As I was saying, you can use the Brunhild/Brynhildr/BroomHilda to unlock all kinds of seals.

One of those seals is the seal of Demon King Galf. Now, the really tricky thing about this was you had to have a high enough reputation to get the Broom Hilda to start, but then you have to knock it down low enough to think releasing Demon King Galf is a good idea. That required...dedication. It's not something you do by accident.

Otherwise you fight him, kill him, and he gives the traditional "As Long As There Is Evil, I Can Come Back" speech (There's like, 5 people in the Ogre verse who can do this). Or if you're evil, but not evil enough to be stupid, he'll give you a gift and you go your merry way; he's still bound but hopefully your being evil will shave a few centuries off until he can be released.

If you go above and beyond and GIVE him the BroomHilda; he joins your party, kills dudes for you. You play through the game. You fight the endboss. You kill the Evil God Whatever the end boss summons with his death because of course he does.

And then....PSYCHE! Demon King Galf BETRAYS YOU, and because he has Broom Hilda, is even stronger now, and he possesses your body so nobody even knows what's coming. The End. All endings had Tarot Motifs, and this was appropriately the Devil Ending.

I'm pretty sure it isn't canon.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

It should be noted that (as in most games) you get most (read, almost all) of the good stuff being a good guy.

It's already a brutal game. I'd say getting this ending is MUCH harder than getting the best ending on the good side.

Andyzero ain't kidding about with the term "dedication".

Also, if I recall correctly, one of the weapons in this game is Galf's old hammer. I can't remember which one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Andyzero posted:

Sure!

In ''Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen"

As I was saying, you can use the Brunhild/Brynhildr/BroomHilda to unlock all kinds of seals.

One of those seals is the seal of Demon King Galf. Now, the really tricky thing about this was you had to have a high enough reputation to get the Broom Hilda to start, but then you have to knock it down low enough to think releasing Demon King Galf is a good idea. That required...dedication. It's not something you do by accident.

Otherwise you fight him, kill him, and he gives the traditional "As Long As There Is Evil, I Can Come Back" speech (There's like, 5 people in the Ogre verse who can do this). Or if you're evil, but not evil enough to be stupid, he'll give you a gift and you go your merry way; he's still bound but hopefully your being evil will shave a few centuries off until he can be released.

If you go above and beyond and GIVE him the BroomHilda; he joins your party, kills dudes for you. You play through the game. You fight the endboss. You kill the Evil God Whatever the end boss summons with his death because of course he does.

And then....PSYCHE! Demon King Galf BETRAYS YOU, and because he has Broom Hilda, is even stronger now, and he possesses your body so nobody even knows what's coming. The End. All endings had Tarot Motifs, and this was appropriately the Devil Ending.

I'm pretty sure it isn't canon.

As crazy as that is, it's apparently possible to get Galf without him going Grand Theft Me on you. It requires leaving a hell of a lot of the towns alone so you can salvage your rep meter later on, but at the same time since you don't have Brunhild it locks you out of the World ending. From what I've heard, the best possible ending you can get with every single unique on your team is the Hierophant.