Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also the midwest rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

The old guy that has an office on our floor called me yesterday. This is the guy that I help with his PC issues since he's just a one-person operation. From time to time he gets me a Starbucks gift card supplemented with career advice.

Turns out that he serves as consulting CFO for a petrochemical company and just finished raising $400 million for their next expansion. They're probably worth about $300M right now.

He asked if I would be willing to move to the midwest to be their top I.T. person, and that equity would be involved. I didn't say "no" even though I'm highly unlikely to be qualified. I didn't want to be a wet towel and make him regret making a cool offer like that. I thanked him and agreed that we'd discuss it when I'm back from my time off.

You never know. My life is at such a dead end that if this turned out to be a real opportunity, one that would be appropriate for me, I would consider leaving Los Angeles. But looking at the extremely experienced people running that company I think I would be in over my head.

Echoing literally everyone else in here. GO GO GO GO GO GO GO. Abandon the duds you're currently working with and get in on this opportunity.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Dude. I've been watching you for years in here (wow, that came out way creepier than I mean). You cannot let the toxicity around you infect how you see yourself.

You know things. This is an opportunity to do things right. You *know* how things should be run. You *know* how to do the higher end fiddly parts like long term planning and devising budgets, that's a leg up on a LOT of people. MORE IMPORTANTLY, you know how NOT to do things.

You have value and I think you'd be effective in a senior mgmt role.

Jump in. Take a chance to be happy.

Not empty quoting.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dick Trauma posted:

I think I would be in over my head.

Motherfucker, you've been worrying about your skills atrophying! GET IN OVER YOUR HEAD. SINK OR SWIM? YOU ARE A SWIMMER. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck if you don't take this I'm going to ruin your avatar.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Also the midwest rules.

It doesn't but he'd still be insane not to follow up on this.

Think of all the dunning-kruger morons you know who fell upward and suck immensely at their jobs. Going "oh gently caress this is huge and complex ahhhh I'm not qualified" means you actually understand. Get over your imposter syndrome.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It doesn't but he'd still be insane not to follow up on this.

Think of all the dunning-kruger morons you know who fell upward and suck immensely at their jobs. Going "oh gently caress this is huge and complex ahhhh I'm not qualified" means you actually understand. Get over your imposter syndrome.

This is a super good paradigm shift if you can get your head around it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The other thing is, the guy is looking for a cultural fit and thinks you have the right personality. The rest you can learn. It's harder to learn not to be a jackass.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
If you don't take it, can you give the dude my number??!

Seriously though, loving TAKE IT!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Take the job you dumb loving goon god loving dammit and you people wonder why I post here with such disdain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Take the job you dumb loving goon god loving dammit and you people wonder why I post here with such disdain

it's because you live in the rudest part of Canada, a place known for not being rude. your environment has shaped you to view the world through disdain-tinted glasses.

Dick Trauma Get the Job

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
During discussions/interviews/negotiations, maybe just mention that you might need to hire a consultant or two or even employees after you have the opportunity to evaluate the current environment and determine where you need to take it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

it's because you live in the rudest part of Canada, a place known for not being rude. your environment has shaped you to view the world through disdain-tinted glasses.

Dick Trauma Get the Job

It's true, I'm broken due to the housing crisis

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

The old guy that has an office on our floor called me yesterday. This is the guy that I help with his PC issues since he's just a one-person operation. From time to time he gets me a Starbucks gift card supplemented with career advice.

Turns out that he serves as consulting CFO for a petrochemical company and just finished raising $400 million for their next expansion. They're probably worth about $300M right now.

He asked if I would be willing to move to the midwest to be their top I.T. person, and that equity would be involved. I didn't say "no" even though I'm highly unlikely to be qualified. I didn't want to be a wet towel and make him regret making a cool offer like that. I thanked him and agreed that we'd discuss it when I'm back from my time off.

You never know. My life is at such a dead end that if this turned out to be a real opportunity, one that would be appropriate for me, I would consider leaving Los Angeles. But looking at the extremely experienced people running that company I think I would be in over my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNkp_kVJml8&hd=1

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm definitely going to talk to him about it, and I don't intend to self myself short or intentionally make myself look bad when I talk about how my skills match up against what they need. At this point I don't even know if he's in a position to push me for an opening, or if an opening even really exists or if he just believes there's a need. This could be a case of an old dude that thinks I can do anything just because I can unjam his printer.

This isn't a question of choosing my current bad workplace over a new opportunity. I want to leave and have been trying. I'm not looking for a new frying pan is all I'm saying.

Thank you for your support, and looking forward to reading the story about Clam robbing a bank to buy a shed to live in.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ranter posted:

During discussions/interviews/negotiations, maybe just mention that you might need to hire a consultant or two or even employees after you have the opportunity to evaluate the current environment and determine where you need to take it?

400m sounds like a greenfield petrochem facility or a big acquisition and using vendors and consultants for validation at the very least is what you do, even if you already know what you are doing.

Trying to do it in a vacuum is the sign of an idiot who's likely about to make some very expensive mistakes.

Edit; if they want you to be part of standing up a new facility you are basically set for life career wise btw if you pull it off. Having "successfully built/maintained IT infra/organization for multi-million dollar industrial facility(ies)" is solid resume gold forever. People will never stop head hunting you and you can work wherever you want with Canadian level benefits and salary that makes impostor syndrome flare up when you look at it.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 17, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

"Canadian level benefits" is something like maple syrup with no lifetime maximum.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

"Canadian level benefits" is something like maple syrup with no lifetime maximum.

55 gallon drum of syrup and 6+ weeks vacation

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Old bash.org quote

pre:
<DTOX> my wife pushed from 2-4 pm and then they said "gently caress it" and got the foreceps and all that fun stuff
<DTOX> but they gave her an episiotimy
<DTOX> the doc took out these scissors with teeth and cut the skin between her vagina and anus
<CoMBo> so when she takes a poo poo, it can leak into her oval office now?
<DTOX> no, I don't know what it's like in canada, but they stiched her up afterwards
<DTOX> they didn't give her some timbits and say "go back to your igloo"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

poo poo, I was just coming to ask what email client would work best for organizing 3 different gmail inbox I'm up to now.

GO GET THAT poo poo, DICK!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Dick, I've seen you post in the Healthcare Thread. Don't be Asproigerosis.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RFC2324 posted:

GO GET THAT poo poo, DICK!

Not empty quoting.

You deserve it man, now go get it!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I talked to a recruiter today that was dead-set on convincing me to diminish my self worth and accept that I should start over as a bottom-tier Analyst on a contract-to-hire basis for a corporation, and work my way up "the right way". He asked, incredulously, how I was able to get my current position as an IT manager.

His contact info is now in the trash. If somebody doesn't want to help elevate your career, gently caress em.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Turns out the old fellow is already back from his trip so I could get more details.

The upcoming deal is so much larger than I realized. Just the debt side is half a billion freaking dollars. It's why even his small percentage of ownership will be pulling down millions of dollars of income once everything is online. He showed me his payout schedule for the next five years. His concern now is only that he live long enough to rake it all in. He's known the principal since the eighties so that's how he got drawn in a few years ago to help them figure out their fundraising.

They only have about 15 people now but virtually all of them are purely petro folks in one way or another. No I.T. people. They expect to go up to at least 200 staff by the end of next year.

I'm reading through the whole deal now and at his request sent him my latest resume. He likes that I have a little petro experience and have lived in the midwest but at this point it's still a big question mark because there's been no official call to hire someone, just the general understanding that if they don't get someone in place before the deal closes they will get buried.

Anyway, at the very least it's nice to be thought of, and if it turns into something real... :q:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Turns out the old fellow is already back from his trip so I could get more details.

The upcoming deal is so much larger than I realized. Just the debt side is half a billion freaking dollars. It's why even his small percentage of ownership will be pulling down millions of dollars of income once everything is online. He showed me his payout schedule for the next five years. His concern now is only that he live long enough to rake it all in. He's known the principal since the eighties so that's how he got drawn in a few years ago to help them figure out their fundraising.

They only have about 15 people now but virtually all of them are purely petro folks in one way or another. No I.T. people. They expect to go up to at least 200 staff by the end of next year.

I'm reading through the whole deal now and at his request sent him my latest resume. He likes that I have a little petro experience and have lived in the midwest but at this point it's still a big question mark because there's been no official call to hire someone, just the general understanding that if they don't get someone in place before the deal closes they will get buried.

Anyway, at the very least it's nice to be thought of, and if it turns into something real... :q:

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Dick Trauma posted:

His concern now is only that he live long enough to rake it all in.

If nothing else, become the son that old dude never knew he wanted, and you might rake in some of that inheritance.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Dick Trauma posted:

My best jobs have been through connections, despite maybe not being the best candidate.

You don't hit the pitches you don't swing at........

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My boss was making snow all day so I couldn't sit down with him and tell him I'm resigning. It doesn't seem like he'll be in tomorrow, and then I'm out until Tuesday.

I really don't want to quit over the phone or an email, but the dude is just never there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think it would be funny if this turns into a good thing for me, and all because that one day the old fellow came by when Bill wasn't around and I was nice enough help him even though I didn't really know who he was.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The phone interview went well but I got a technical assessment today full of SQL questions. I haven’t touched SQL since college. I’m toast :smith: I’m stuck in this shithole forever.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

The phone interview went well but I got a technical assessment today full of SQL questions. I haven’t touched SQL since college. I’m toast :smith: I’m stuck in this shithole forever.

You can do it. I believe.

SELECT * FROM brain WHERE knowledge==TSQL;

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I think it would be funny if this turns into a good thing for me, and all because that one day the old fellow came by when Bill wasn't around and I was nice enough help him even though I didn't really know who he was.

Karma, man. Be nice to people, never know what will happen.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

You can do it. I believe.

SELECT * FROM brain WHERE knowledge==TSQL;

I just hope it’s something they’ll move past. The guy I’m replacing, the guy who or me on to this lead, didn’t have a SQL related position before this either.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Dick Trauma posted:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

55 gallon drum of syrup and 6+ weeks vacation

So that's what the Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve is really for!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

If they are offering equity, it will be your role to identify what needs to be done, convey those needs and the steps and costs to accomplish them to the 'full' partners (effectively the board), hire people to accomplish those steps, manage those hires through the process, and follow-up with progress reports, etc, for the board. You won't be expected to do anything yourself outside of getting people going in any temp office space they use while they select long term office space.

It'll all be soft skills, not hard skills, so don't worry too much about technical qualifications.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

If they are offering equity, it will be your role to identify what needs to be done, convey those needs and the steps and costs to accomplish them to the 'full' partners (effectively the board), hire people to accomplish those steps, manage those hires through the process, and follow-up with progress reports, etc, for the board. You won't be expected to do anything yourself outside of getting people going in any temp office space they use while they select long term office space.

It'll all be soft skills, not hard skills, so don't worry too much about technical qualifications.

I had a boss like that once, at my first real I.T. job. I always thought it was weird that he didn't help out with any problem solving. He'd just say "Well... you better figure it out!"

It wasn't until years later that I understood that in certain environments that's exactly what the boss is expected to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skooma512 posted:

Update tableA.Field='Value' WHERE Row = '1'

SELECT tableA.Name, tableB.Address, tableB.PhoneNumber FROM tableA, LEFT JOIN tableB WHERE tableA.Name = tableB.Name.

That'll get you through most basic query stuff. Maybe.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

I had a boss like that once, at my first real I.T. job. I always thought it was weird that he didn't help out with any problem solving. He'd just say "Well... you better figure it out!"

It wasn't until years later that I understood that in certain environments that's exactly what the boss is expected to do.

that's what any good manager does. someone who gets into it is just a team lead

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

poo poo my IT Director has no problems getting his hands dirty and I respect the hell out of him for that. He’ll climb under desks if needed and we’re not around.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

poo poo my IT Director has no problems getting his hands dirty and I respect the hell out of him for that. He’ll climb under desks if needed and we’re not around.

Yeah, and Dick clearly has those skills and will probably end up using them if there is need, but if a job is offering equity then they won't be required as part of getting the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Felt like my program manager interviews went well today, but also.....

It seems like anyone can have a good program manager interview? It seemed like all of the questions were super obvious?