Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Meanwhile the only voiced macro I have is "Shake shake! {Shake It Off}" to reference an obscure video game.

I enjoyed my TASTE THE RAINBOW, MOTHERFUCKER! Berserk macro, but it fell out of favour since it lost its Pacification gimmick and I had no reason to announce it. Maybe I should tie it to Inner Release instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I need to make a macro for Darkside and Shirk.

"Hey what's that over there!" {Shirk}

*My Chemical Romance Intensifies* {Darkside}

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hey <f>, see that guy over there? He wants to have sex with primals. {Shirk}

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I would unironically prefer reading erp than these macros

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Hey <f>, see that guy over there? He wants to have sex with primals. {Shirk}

I might use that

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
My only macro is "/p Resurrecting <t>" which sounds all well and good but the number of times I've fatfingered while DPSing and you see things like "Resurrecting Mateus, the Corrupt" is kind of embarassing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RME posted:

I would unironically prefer reading erp than these macros

Life is short... bury, steady cock! {Heavy Thrust}

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Trasson posted:

My only macro is "/p Resurrecting <t>" which sounds all well and good but the number of times I've fatfingered while DPSing and you see things like "Resurrecting Mateus, the Corrupt" is kind of embarassing.

Sounds like a classic case of enthralling to me. :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have a “I {Living Dead}! I die! I live again!” macro and I always gently caress up the timing and embarrass myself

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have a “I {Living Dead}! I die! I live again!” macro and I always gently caress up the timing and embarrass myself

:mediocre:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ruta posted:

I can get behind that macro.

I'm levelling DRK for the story but nobody ever coms me when I play DRK. Even though I do everything I'd like to see a tank doing when I play healer/DPS. I pull decent sized packs, I move quickly, I use my cooldowns, I do pretty good damage.

I'm starting to think maybe people don't like going fast. It might explain why a lot of people choose not to AoE.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I only use these macros on my WAR.

"I need TP for my bunghole." (Invigorate)
"Are you threatening me?!" (provoke)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My combat macros are pretty simple
Bootshine: "M"
Twin Snakes: "I"
Demolish: "X"
Tornado Kick: "The flour to the bowl!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phone posted:

My combat macros are pretty simple
Bootshine: "M"
Twin Snakes: "I"
Demolish: "X"
Tornado Kick: "The flour to the bowl!"

I've been doing this for years but don't ask me why.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why even make MNK macros if they're not Chop Master Onion quotes?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only monk macro worth using is timing LB3 to the Erupting Burning Finger speech.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't LB3 on Monk because it's BORING as gently caress having been the only LB3 for ARR.

Same goes for BLM.

Why would I deny a Summoner the chance to use their actual cool LB3?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't LB3 on Monk because it's BORING as gently caress having been the only LB3 for ARR.

Same goes for BLM.

Why would I deny a Summoner Red Mage the chance to use their actual cool LB3?

Fixed it for you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

a kitten posted:

Why even make MNK macros if they're not Chop Master Onion quotes?

ImpAtom posted:

I've been doing this for years but don't ask me why.

Crack crack crack

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Fixed it for you.

RDM is aight, but it's not as good sprouting Bahamut wings and then shooting a Teraflare.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RDM is aight, but it's not as good sprouting Bahamut wings and then shooting a Teraflare.

And that’s just SMN’s normal rotation

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I’m so glad MNK’s Meditate has brought back the relevance of the Boost macro.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Phone posted:

Crack crack crack

The egg into the bowl

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ruta posted:

I'm levelling DRK for the story but nobody ever coms me when I play DRK. Even though I do everything I'd like to see a tank doing when I play healer/DPS. I pull decent sized packs, I move quickly, I use my cooldowns, I do pretty good damage.

I'm starting to think maybe people don't like going fast. It might explain why a lot of people choose not to AoE.

No one like surprise speed runs though. YMMV on comms unless you single-handily saved DR/raids from a wipe it's going to be a quiet night. At least DRK job quest makes up for the it and all the suffering w/randoms.

FWIW: I always give comms to healers since they have rough lives speaking from personal exp.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Same goes for BLM.

Why would I deny a Summoner the chance to use their actual cool LB3?

I spent all of the leadup to HW hoping MNK would get a Suplex LB3, sadly that seems to be the realm of Godbert alone.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

No one like surprise speed runs though. YMMV on comms unless you single-handily saved DR/raids from a wipe it's going to be a quiet night. At least DRK job quest makes up for the it and all the suffering w/randoms.

FWIW: I always give comms to healers since they have rough lives speaking from personal exp.

Once you have a basic grasp of the game you start realizing that what people call “speed runs” are the bare minimum that people should be able to do once they hit 50. Especially if you’re doing roulettes. No one wants to spend 40 minutes running something daily for the hundredth time.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Forgot to take a shot of us the like three weeks ago when we actually cleared it, but Mad Snake Eaters cleared O3S.

Edit: Just realized I wasn't in maximum graphics for the pretty picture :negative:

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 18, 2017

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ruta posted:

Alder posted:

Yeah wrt going fast, it is going to vary a lot on your group.

I recently DRK tanked from ~62-68 in the SB instances and got lots of comms. I always ask at the start. "Big pulls or normal?". If they don't answer or are uncertain I just go normal.

I also don't pull big unless I'm geared up. This is part of why I ask because if you have under geared or lovely DPS and an under geared tank or healer, then it's probably not going to go well. Inversely if everyone is geared or synced down it can go quite smooth.

Chain running helps for comms too. You can pick up on a lot of the nuances, like where to position and move to pull the and group the packs and what cool downs to blow, instead of just reacting. I noticed more comms at the end of an instance cycle vs at the beginning when I was learning to tank the place and wasn't geared up yet.

But as a healer (especially one used to having a fairy to lean on), it can be extremely stressful if you go too fast. The other night I healed a FC member tank in a Dusk Vigil and I didn't think about it until we went in there, but I was still in baby 50 gear (115 at best) and they started doing a few big pulls. I did my best to keep up, because that's how I am, but it was pretty tough. The bosses were much easier by comparison. Similar situations would happen on SCH during late or max level SB instances at launch. Especially I'd see fresh 70s not even in their blue class gear jump into EXDR and pull big.

Then everything gets compounded if your syncing down since you lose parts of your kit. But it can be worse when leveling since you might not be familiar with your new tools. (I didn't realize Medica II had a regen component...). In the story above it was my first instance since I had gotten holy as well and was fumbling around trying to figure out when to use it.

So basically even though people might be able to keep up and not complain, they might not be enjoying it.

Sometimes you get that great group though that's all into it and you all pull everything and blast through the instance in no time, get 3 comms, and it feels great.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I don't like to mega pull in leveling dungeons. 50/60 and EXDR is a different dynamic from LLDR, in my experience.

itskage posted:

But as a healer (especially one used to having a fairy to lean on), it can be extremely stressful if you go too fast. The other night I healed a FC member tank in a Dusk Vigil and I didn't think about it until we went in there, but I was still in baby 50 gear (115 at best) and they started doing a few big pulls. I did my best to keep up, because that's how I am, but it was pretty tough. The bosses were much easier by comparison. Similar situations would happen on SCH during late or max level SB instances at launch. Especially I'd see fresh 70s not even in their blue class gear jump into EXDR and pull big.

I had the same experience leveling scholar. I just hit 51 and queued LLDR, expecting like Cutter's Cry or something and ended up in Dusk Vigil, still in the level 50 quest gear, with a chain pulling tank. We were able to get to the end, but it was the hardest dungeon I've ever healed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just got DRK to 45. That trader is an rear end in a top hat and Fray is great, especially when making references.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I play primarily healer and I can't stand it when tanks do tiny pulls. Mega pulls are what make playing a healer tolerable in low level dungeons.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I play primarily healer and I can't stand it when tanks do tiny pulls. Mega pulls are what make playing a healer tolerable in low level all dungeons.

Anything less than the biggest pull possible and the tank doesn't get comm'd. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
i guess everyone has their own preferences in playstyle but when i'm healing and the tank does small pulls i wanna kms, it's so boring.

like for the love of god make me press more than 1 button, please

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm the other way around. If the tank is going and max pulling without asking/warning and I'm stuck healing their rear end I get really pissed off.

Normal pulls are easy and relaxing and surprise twenty enemy pulls are the dungeon equivalent of blasting death metal in the middle of a therapeutic massage.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Trasson posted:

I'm the other way around. If the tank is going and max pulling without asking/warning and I'm stuck healing their rear end I get really pissed off.

Normal pulls are easy and relaxing and surprise twenty enemy pulls are the dungeon equivalent of blasting death metal in the middle of a therapeutic massage.

i don't get the mindset that it's ok to not do your best in a team game just because you wanna relax

like 3 other people trying their best but the healer gets a pass because he's mother Teresa and they should be grateful he's even there i guess

edit: i shouldn't bag on healers, i see this poo poo from plenty of tanks, too. meanwhile when a dps does rear end everyone lines up to bitch about them being bad.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 18, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Trasson posted:

Thing is, I don't do ex/70 dungeons for a relaxing experience. I do them as a part of my video game chores that enable me to gear up for the other stuff I'm really doing. I just want it done as fast as possible because oh my god I've seen temple of the fist 50+ times now and I'm sick of it.

But different strokes for different folks (I main healer btw).

EDIT: I mean even with max possible pulls I'm still not being strained at all.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So what you are trying to say is, tanks are doomed to get criticism, unspoken or otherwise from their healers if they do little pulls, big pulls or anything inbetween?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Samael posted:

So what you are trying to say is, tanks are doomed to get criticism, unspoken or otherwise from their healers if they do little pulls, big pulls or anything inbetween?

good tanks will get comms from good healers, and get bitched out for "stressing" bad healers

bad tanks will get comms from bad healers, and get bitched out by good healers for wasting their time

edit: deservedly or not, tanks will always be in the spotlight more than anyone because this game has no native parser to point out bad dps, and even if a healer sucks as long as no one dies then they look good.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 18, 2017

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The only time a tank shouldn't be doing the biggest pulls possible is if they're in a low level dungeon with a party that doesn't have their AOE abilities yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Another thing that some people don't take into account with big pulls is that some trash just hits really hard.

The Ochu's in Sohm Al stick out as one instance. Had plenty of times with a tank chainpulling something that involved them and splatting to the floor.
In Bardam's, the tiny birds that accompany the Zu do an inane amount of damage, autoing for a couple thousand damage and their special attack adding on another thousand or on top of that. And that's all they do.

Most really good parties I've been in have in some part known about this, from tanks using extra defensive stuff, healer's using extra heal/stun stuff and DPS focusing on the problem mobs while AoEing everything down.

Sarrisan posted:

good tanks will get comms from good healers, and get bitched out for "stressing" bad healers

bad tanks will get comms from bad healers, and get bitched out by good healers for wasting their time

edit: deservedly or not, tanks will always be in the spotlight more than anyone because this game has no native parser to point out bad dps, and even if a healer sucks as long as no one dies then they look good.

Also vice versa is true.

Good healers will get comms and get bitched out for stressing bad tanks.

Bad healers will get comms and get bitched out for either trying to DPS and failing or not DPSing at all.