Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Pick 'em: You Are Jerks

Omni-Titles
Frogs (c) @ Krakow Dragons

Interim European Championship
Ephesus Theologians (c) @ RCMP

Interim United States Championship
Moscow Golden Tsars (c) @ World Warriors

Interim Intercontinental Championship
Rochester Generics (c) @ Burns Zephyrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Champs retain, also my recap is done please check your dropbox.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

JOSH NO

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

all champs lose

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

WEEK 20: DON'T BLOW IT

Game of the Weak:

Kolten Wong, CXXXIV posted:

The Sort of Mid Season Sub-Par League Recap and Filler Update!

Hello friends! In lieu of subjecting you to more of my fiction (and I have plenty of ideas, just not...time) I will instead write up your teams and assess why they're terrible failures. If they're winning, then I'll assess why they're gonna fail in the Super-League. It's a low effort exercise and you might learn something! Or maybe not! Either way, I'm getting out of spending four hours I don't have on writing.

(Sorted alphabetically. Order implies nothing except a desire to avoid sorting that involves more work than clicking on the sort button on Excel.)

Bath Rakers
Come back Gingemidget! You might be able to save this team! I mean, none of your big bats are hitting all that well but a little of shuffling of the lineup can make a huge difference. You kind of missed the boat on avoiding Mogul making a farce of your DH lineup but, uh...okay, it's a disaster and you've escaped the League so all the best. Your Foxx will probably find a new home in a draft some time.

Brooklyn Giants
Welp, you're going back to the Super-League. No one is going to catch you short of a major meltdown, and it has to be a Chernobyl-esque meltdown to be sure given the woefulness of your division. After all, you swept the Cthulhu's, who are your nearest divisional rival, so you're safe.

The problem is that I don't think your next jaunt into the SL will be that successful either. But, then again, I didn't think Honkbal would threaten the Generics in the VV and...okay, I'm right, Honkbal isn't. But still! In the event, you're getting great mileage from Rod Carew, Vaughn, Bill Donovan and Nap Rucker. I wouldn't exactly place great stock in them. See you in Sub-Par XIII, Lightning's Baseball Sim.

Cape Cod Great Whites
This is a good team, wrecked by the fickle nature of baseball. Your Teddy didn't hit. Wade Boggs failed to get on base. Billy Williams is pretty good, but his .702 OPS isn't going to carry your team. Jimmie Foxx has some dingers but naught else. If your talent hit to spec, you coulda been a contender. All you can do is pray. Pray hard. Marduk accepts libations of Mountain Dew. Not that Code Red crap either.

Central City Rogues
Hey Shepard alt personality gamma! Thank you for keeping the Punto Division interesting and winning many games. THank you for making a 40 year old Babe Ruth work. Your rotation is a flaming wreck of injuries but if the Jailbirds keep stumbling...you might return to the SL. Unfortunately at this time, that means your fate is out of your hands, and if your hitting falters, you're sort of totally hosed. But at this rate, you're in a prime position to survive yet another season. Smasher will be so happy!

Cthulhu's Cthulhus
The thread's favorite Australian has stumbled lately. First there was the ill-advised Trump Baseball, and now this unfortunate sack of a team. Boudreau never quite reaches his potential with OBA as his history suggests, Thome at 3B is just ill-advised, and Teddie is just getting BABIPed to death at .239(!) And to finally put it to rest, yes, Larry Doby is a team killer. At least your pitching wasn't terrible. For what it's worth, which isn't much, at least your second place in your division. It's 18 games but I'm sure you have a cunning plan to turn this around, right?

Right?

Dragon Warrior Pokemonsters
Victim of circumstance. You'll probably do better but between you and the Machine Guns you'll be locked into a death struggle for most dingers in a division that will rue the day both of you were put into the same space. I'd offer advice but what's there to say? More dingers? Got that covered, and some.

ENIX SLIMES
I was going to say that your hitting was kind of spotty, but last year all your roster posted below 100 OPS+, while your team has some definite bright spots like Mize (<3), Boggs, and if you squint, Mantle. Your offensive power has been more than offset by the utter disaster that's been your Addie Joss and the terrible luck that Larry Jackson and Nolan Ryan's been experiencing. I think this is a team that benefits from favoring their pitching more than their hitting, but your stadium as I see it in the save doesn't really benefit the team enough. Something to consider in the Gauntlet. You have enough talent to beat off your rivals. Well, phrasing, but gently caress it, I'm on a deadline.

Florida! Guacabowlees!
Please! Clap! For! Your! Offense!

Please! Boo! Your! Bullpen!

Your rotation's pretty good too!

Honestly I don't know why your team fell apart. I have a feeling that you don't have enough power in your lineup (aside from the Kid hitting 23 dingers :eyepop:), despite the high BA your team has collectively, and not enough slap hitters to do a Pander-esque continuous string of hits to murder the opposition. But you're a good sport, I hope you come back another season so I can write stupid things about your team.

Grand Goognol
This team might have...the opposite problem? Like most Goog teams, I can't make heads or tails of it. You may still win your division because Theriot is among the weaker set of teams in the League, but depending on the Landers to fail is certainly a losing proposition. Relying on 42 year old Cy Youngs and Stan Musials probably wasn't the best idea, but you rode them hard and they've served you well. If you are serious about making a run for the divisional lead you'll have to find a replacement for them before they melt down completely. Musial is definitely not much longer for this world.

Innsmouth Lookers
Your balanced offense was pretty good, until it wasn't. I will say that while Yog won't tear up the batting stats any time soon, his defensive stats are..out of this world (:haw:) and is worth having just for that alone (CS of 91%? Yes please.) Relatively poor OBA and combined BA kind of neuters your offense, and the backhalf of your rotation did you no favors. Still, you may still eke out a survival. I believe in you, and that's not just the mind altering affects of an unknowable being whose baleful influence shatters the sanity of the weak.

Joliet Jailbirds
DOOMED! You're DOOMED! You're letting one of the depraved personalities of Shepard.shouldgo catch up to you! Make all the roster changes, demote everyone and promote everyone else! Your once insurmountable lead has dwindled to almost nothing! Make Fairgame hate you forever for making all these following changes:

1. Give a personal catcher to all your pitchers, including relievers.
2. Specify a batting order for road teams against left handed pitchers while it's a waxing crescent moon (Mogul models lunar tidal effects on pitches.) Don't make a newbie mistake and confuse the phases of the moon!
3. Prepare a ritual circle. A rooster born on an auspicious date will be required, and a consultation with a Chinese geomancer may be required. What, like I'm gonna do all your work for you?

DOOM!

Luna Landers
You have nothing more to prove, so taking this division should be child's play. Maybe that of a Moon Child.

I'm sorry for that last comment.

(I do think that Lee Smith is suspiciously efficacious and won't be so if you ascend to the SL. But, you know, you've won the SL twice, so what the gently caress do I know?)

Mexico City Machine Guns
Your team won't die. You have too many dingers to offer. But you won't promote because you're being cockblocked by the Breegulls. There's always next season, and you'll get another first round SD pick so it's not all bad I guess.

Olympia Owlbears
Dear Pander:
Your wife's ("wife") team should have done better and I'm happy that they've survived at least one season. Unfortunately, while their pitching has been really good, their hitting has not been, and the modern Yankees aren't pulling their weight. Mattingly's cool, though.

XOXO,
kw0134

Pungry Pungry Pippoes
Next time, pay off Mogul and it might not spitefully kneecap all your stars. Fairgame believes you can win the Gauntlet. There's definitely talent here but I'm not as positive as he. If everyone hits as they should, then you might pull it off. If not, then...

Sorry. :smith:

Shelbyville Sharks
So, a team with Gehrig, Ruth (though old), Tris Speaker, with an IF backed by Whitaker, Trammell and Sewell is good? Who'd have thunk. (Not me, to my eternal chagrin.) Again, while you're waiting for the Landers to stumble, At least you'll be in a good position to live another season. Maybe consider an upgrade in RF because Eric Davis really can't do it for you. I also don't think either the Koufaxes or the Gibsons will be as good in the future as they are now, but savor it while you can.

Spiral Mountain Breegulls
This team is not that great
but don't let me hate
Since you won the tag team belts
all my criticisms just melts
See you in SL XXIII
Maybe I'll beat you to death in the VV

Yes my meter sucks
But, I give no fucks

Towa City Demon Hunters
You're not gonna catch the Joliets, but this team has too much talent to die quite yet. I guess the one surefire way to make Mays the superstar he was in life in the SL is to build the Coliseum and make everyone pretend they're Wally Moon. Despite Smasher's best efforts, you'll live...to the unending agony of everyone in the Sub-Par.

Vietnam Big Daddies
You got hosed by everyone in your division becoming some sort of baseball god. You already know what you want to do, and by god you'll do it even if it means this shambling mess of a team that can't be constructed precisely like the Panderers. But like TheMcD, you'll have time to execute your awful, awful ideas. God have mercy on us all.

In conclusion!
That was a lot of writing. If by some miracle you survive whatever fate awaits you at the end of the season, then God is more cruel and capricious than I have imagined.

The end! No moral.

Oh good. You're back to dying.

At this point just make sure you rest players so you're healthy and ready for the playoffs.

Just a tough year for offense. I really think the talent is there.

Big homestand coming up. Win 5 of 6 and you could conceivably still win this thing.

Gauntlet incoming.

Well...you won more than you lost last week. But it's gonna take some time to undo the damage.

Kevin Brown's actually a pretty big loss.

Just when you thought JEB! was turning things around, too.

Oof. Well...hang in there.

I still believe in this team. I don't know what I believe about them, but I believe it.

Is...is the power of Thomas2Thomas coming to an end?

I don't know, man. Win more. I can't think of 26 things per season for each team.

I wanted that Walter Johnson in the draft. You had a good eye.

Promotion is in reach. Are you a bad enough dude to take it?

Oh hey, a glimmer of hope as you panic TMM.

This team, on the other hand, is hopeless this season. But when everyone is healthy?

Getting swept at home by a pretty bad team is...not great.

That bird is so happy.

You, Armitage, and Clangbang need to figure out who's challenging TMM because if you all kill each other it doesn't work.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to separate you and McD.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Edward Mass posted:

Let's get Ted Williams some rest this week.

1. Rod Carew
2. Arky Vaughan
3. Bill Terry
4. Mel Ott
5. Gary Sheffield (LF)
6. Bill Dahlen
7. Al Simmons
8. Carlton Fisk
9. Pitcher

I SAID THIS LAST WEEK. PLEASE DO IT NOW.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Well, after a tough week on the road, I think time is finally running out for a franchise that should have died a long time ago, especially since half my players are getting annoying injuries now and the Rogues just aren't going to lose anymore.

Call up:

Eddie Collins

Send down:

Rico Carty

Slot Eddie Collins back in at 2B, batting third in both lineups.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hey, those changes were supposed to stop the slide, not make it worse! I'm going back to what is essentially my lineup from the early months.

New Lineup:

LF - Ashburn
2B - Hornsby
RF - Aaron
C - Pizzaman
1B - Black Frank Thomas
CF - Mays
SS - Banks
3B - Mathews (White Frank Thomas vs LHP)

edit - switched a spot.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 18, 2017

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Grand Goognol

Eight games out. Thirty-nine games left. One more week until Pujols is back.

I don’t wanna die in the Gauntlet.

* Luke Appling to AAA
* Duke Snider to MLB

Lineup vs RHP

1. Walker RF
2. Musial DH
3. Thome 1B
4. Martinez 3B
5. Sheffield SS
6. Snider LF
7. Mantle CF
8. Mauer C
9. Lajoie 2B

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Welp, looks like I could have rested my tired guys last week and not lost anything of value. Bleh. Ah well - we'll rest 'em this week.

Please move Pedroia to 2B, Ken Griffey to RF, and... poo poo, I would have sworn I had a spare 3B somewhere, I guess we'll cross our fingers on Jody Reed to 3B. Please move Carew, Boggs, and Clemente to the Bench, and send Ellis Burks to the minors.

Also please bench Jim Rice, move Pujols to LF, and move Frank Thomas to 1B. Which I would have sworn I asked for last week but whatever.

Thanks!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am not going to try and figure out if i can get ken williams and cal ripken enough rest via platooning this week so lets just give them both the week off, much to my chagrin

code:
vs RHP - DH

1. Cool Papa Bell - CF
2. Edgar Martinez - 3B
3. Babe Ruth - DH
4. Johnny Mize - 1B
5. Hank Aaron - LF
6. Lou Whitaker - 2B
7. Johnny Pesky - SS
8. Yogi Berra - C
9. Ty Cobb - RF

vs LHP - DH

1. Cool Papa Bell - CF
2. Edgar Martinez - 3B
3. Babe Ruth - DH
4. Johnny Mize - 1B
5. Alex Rodriguez - SS
6. Hank Aaron - LF
7. Wally Schang - C
8. Lou Whitaker - 2B
9. Ty Cobb - RF

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did I get skipped in the recap write-up?

:mad:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pick'Em: Dragons and Mounties take, rest retain.

I guess I should do something about Banks dying, because while I do have a perfect replacement in A-Rod, leaving Banks around leaves me without a SS on the bench again and subject to Mogul's defensive replacement fuckery. So, let's do this. DL Banks, call up Tulowitzki.

New no-DH lineup vs. both types of pitcher:

#1: Foxx, C
#2: Sheffield (with .425 OBP), RF
#3: Robinson, 1B
#4: Aaron, CF
#5: Sheffield, LF
#6: Santo, 3B
#7: Rodriguez, SS
#8: Madlock, 2B
#9: [ Pitcher Slot ]

Bench:

Morgan
Heidrick
Posey
Myer
Delahanty
Tulowitzki

New personal catcher orders: Posey catches for Powell Ichi, Foxx catches for everybody else.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 18, 2017

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pickadilly
Everyone retains!!!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dragons win, rest retain.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I really thought I made those changes. I remember making them, even.

Sorry, yall. Appreciate your patience.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Whoops. I'll write an addendum in a bit.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Apparently. My apologies for not reading it closely.

So here's the deal with the Large Adult Children:
1.) Their pitching is too dinger-prone and a lot of the power guys rolled kinda badly. This could get fixed in the Gauntlet. I think it's extremely odd that Saberhagen is closing for you, but he's done a great job, so whatever. You'll get a proper JR Richard in The Gauntlet since I now will know to fix your roster file since BBRef and Mogul treat guys with . in their name differently. I'd consider a 4-man rotation for The Gauntlet, though.
2.) The offense is just woefully underperforming. Bonds is hitting under .200 and there's nothing you can do about that. I almost wonder if Bonds is an ideal leadoff hitter in the Super League. He's got speed, he walks all the drat time, and his inability to hit the loving ball in some seasons will be less lovely if he's just sitting up there taking walks with the bases empty. I might do that with my own Bonds next season. Wade Boggs is an asset, and that's cool. I wish Larry Doby were better. I really do. But he usually isn't. I'd try and figure out a way to get a higher OBP, even if it's at the expense of some power.
3.) Roberto Alomar has played some shortstop for you this season. That's...not idea since he never played it IRL. Defense matters, and I'd try and make sure I had a proper backup in case of injury.

I don't want any owner to lose hope in their team. Even the ones that are headed to the Gauntlet could survive. Look at Shepard's team. They were in like 2-3 Gauntlet rounds, survived, and now are...well, they're alive, anyway.

And don't take your getting skipped personally. I'm still trying to figure out work/superleague balance in terms of running stuff. It's not hard since I've outsourced the writing, but occasionally I find I forget stuff I thought I already did. Like double check to make sure all teams have coverage. Or that i did everyone's roster. The fault is mine, not yours. You're extremely cool and good and I"m glad you're playing in my league.

Anyway, I'm about to do the next week of recap so if anyone has a change get it in in like the next 5 minutes!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

SUBPAR LEAGUE WEEK 21 INJURY REPORT

BATH RAKERS
Barry Bonds - This isn't going to help you survive in absentia! (13 DAYS)

CENTRAL CITY ROGUES
Whitey Ford - Who was filling in because of 2 injuries to the rotation (8 DAYS)
Wade Davis - Who was pitching in a diminished bullpen because everyone moved to the rotation (7 DAYS)

THE FIGHTIN' JEBS
Christy Mathewson - Tuberculosis! (16 DAYS)

MEXICO CITY MACHINEGUNS
Johnny Pesky - Made the most of his substitute appearance! (7 DAYS)
Edgar Martinez - Refused to be upstaged by Pesky! (11 DAYS)

PUNGRY PUNGRY PIPPOES
Josh Gibson - Because of course. (9 DAYS)

TOWA CITY DEMON HUNTERS
Jimmie Foxx - What does the Foxx say? Probably, "OUCH HOLY poo poo I'M INJURED FOR" (THE REST OF THE SEASON)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Well, at least the Rogues pitchers only got hurt for about a week. What a roll they've been on since getting those injuries. This really seems familiar.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well lets hope edgar and pesky didnt both get hurt on day one of the update leaving sore ripken and tired a-rod

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs retain!

Okay some changes. Oh! is not getting any better, so send him down to the minors, call up John Mcgraw. Schmidt's not working so hes gonna lose his spot as a platoon...

New Lineups:

Vs RHP with DH:
1. John Mcgraw DH
2. Torriente CF
3. Pujols 1B
4. Bonds LF
5. Musial RF
6. Mathews 3B
7. Berra C
8. Ripken SS
9. Sandberg 2B

Vs LHP with DH:
1. John Mcgraw DH
2. Dimaggio CF
3. Pujols 1B
4. Bonds LF
5. Sheffield RF
6. Mathews 3B
7. Sandberg 2B
8. Ripken SS
9. Bench C

Pitching:

Send Benoit down to the minors. Call up Familia and make him MRP.
Send down Dave Smith and call up Gossage and put him in at SR for Smith.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXIII, Week 21: Industrial Action

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I get these updates done a day in advance for a variety of logistical reasons. What that means, in this instance, is that I'm getting this done on a Friday night.

Now, I've been working all week, and today, I spent an entire workday alone in my office, because my boss decided that he wanted to work "remotely". I think we all know the truth behind remote work, so I want belabor the point, other than I just spent an entire day alone in a completely silent office, under the glare of flourescent lighting, hoping that my office wasn't about to flood, as it does whenever it rains, since it happened to be raining.

My boss wasn't in the office, but he still, from time to time pestered me with emails, asking for questions that he could have easily checked himself or done himself. And at the end of every one of these piddling requests, requests that took time away from me living my life, the only life I have, he wrote "thanks", as though that expression, divorced from any meaningful sense of gratitude, and existing more as code-phrase to mean 'do my will, peon'.

After I am finally free, I come home, and look at all of the new lineup changes, and, behold, most of them also end with 'thanks', and, as it was during my work day, it is not an expression of gratitude, it is a code-phrase to mean 'do my will, peon.'

And the point I am getting to is that I have a choice to between either coming up with content that no one will particularly care about or spend my evening doing something, anything fun, and since that is a choice I have to make, I feel I have no choice but to go on strike for better working conditions for Commissars.

Games of the Week

Better Conditions for Commissars Now!

Also, Johnny Fifty, I demand you get me a better-sized logo for next season.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Stand up, damned of the Earth!
Stand up, prisoners of starvation!

Analysis

Reason thunders in its volcano!
This is the eruption of the end!

Analysis

Of the past, let us make a clean slate!
Enslaved masses, stand up, stand up!

Analysis

The world is about to change its foundation!
We are nothing, let us be all!

Analysis

This is the final struggle!
Let us group together, and tomorrow the Internationale will be the human race!

Analysis

There are no supreme saviors!
Neither God, nor Caesar, nor tribune!

Analysis

Producers, let us save ourselves!
Decree the common salvation!

Analysis

So that the thief expires!
So that the spirit be pulled from its prison!

Analysis

Let us fan our forge ourselves!
Strike the iron while it is hot!

Analysis

Let us group together, and tomorrow the Internationale, will be the human race!

Analysis

The State oppresses and the law cheats!
Tax bleeds the unfortunate!

Analysis

No duty is imposed on the rich!
The rights of the poor is an empty phrase!

Analysis

Enough languishing in custody!
Equality wants other laws!

Analysis

No rights without duties, she says!
Equally, no duties without rights!

Analysis

Analysis

Hideous in their apoetheosis!
The kings of the mine and of the rail!

Analysis

Have they ever done anything other?
Than steal work?

Analysis

Inside the safeboxes of the gang!
What work had created melted!

Analysis

By ordering that they give back!
The people want only their due!

Analysis

Analysis

The kings made drunk with fumes!
Peace among us, war to the tyrants!

Analysis

Let the armies go on strike!
Stocks in the air, and break ranks!

Analysis

If they insist, these cannibals!
On making heroes of us!

Analysis

They will know soon that our bullets!
Are for our own generals!

Standings

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

okay you fucks we’re trailing the drat Crows, and nobody should lose to a drat crow!

(1) Foxx to the DL, Activate Gabby Hartnett and make him starting C vs RHP
(2) Demote Vizquel, make Mullin SR2
(3) Clear all PCs. Make Haller the PC to Tannehill

Vs LHP
Willvengeance, RF
Molitor, 2B
Ruth, LF
Dimaggio, CF
Amherst, DH
Sewell, 3B
Olerud, 1B
Ripken , SS
Hartnett, C

Vs RHP
Willvengeance, CF
Collins, 2B
Ruth, RF
Williams, LF
Amherst, DH
Martinez, 3B
Olerud, 1B
Ripken , SS
Hartnett, C

I believe in neither improving treatment of labor nor thanking you because I’m evil and want to kill the league.

shepard.shouldgo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 19, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRymxxKPc5s

I guess there's some sort of law where communism inevitably rejoins the Super-League every few seasons or so. It doesn't say the Commissar is immune to being the one that becomes its vessel, either!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Akabira Killer Mikes

Replace Dean with Larry Andersen in the bullpen.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

-Mays backin fulltime at CF
-Cochrane back in fulltime at C (Downing remains Marichal's personal C)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Alright, gotta make a couple changes to deal with injuries.

First off, let's put Walsh back in the rotation for Smoltz.

Second, new lineup:

code:
2B - Collins
LF - Hamilton
CF - Cobb
RF - Keeler
1B - Heilmann
DH - Honus Wagner
SS - Twonus Wagner
C  - Berra/Hartnett Platoon
3B - Brett

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Attention EC members!

I'm currently putting together the save file for the EC, and in doing so, I have been reminded that Mogul can not handle making a league with two sub-leagues with one five team division each, spreading its schedule over every month possible from March to October, with weird two-game series and weeks of rest in between series. Because of that, I have decided that we're all going to be stuck in one DH league with a single division that has ten teams, which produces a more sensible schedule.

Because of that, anybody who hasn't given me a DH lineup in their roster post should look into giving me one. Without one, I'm going to estimate who the best hitter on your bench is and stick him at DH, batting him ninth. You will have plenty of opportunity to fix anything between now and the first simulation - there will be a March update that features no games, just lineups, so you can check how things are there too.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I don't want Frankie to die. Lajoie in for him this week vs. Righties since that's all I'm facing. :negative:

If Mogul will re-adjust lineup for an injured Gibson, you don't have to do anything else. If it insists that Bench hits 4th though because that's where Gibson bats - move the catchers place to 9th in the order.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 19, 2017

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

WEEK 21: REQUIEM FOR A MADMAN

Game of the Weak:

Frank Gaiman posted:

JAILBIRDS NARROWLY AVERT DISASTER, RALLY IN EIGHTH TO BEAT THE ROGUES

Central City - This isn't how it was supposed to play out.

The Joliet Jailbirds, aided by the efforts of the Brothers Thomas and Martinez, raced out to a huge lead in their division to start the season.

However, after seeing the Thomases mercilessly upended in the Tag Team Tournament, the rest of the league seems to have stopped being overawed by this squad and have been slowly chipping away at the lead.

Heading into the week, in fact, what had once been a 15 game lead was now 5.5, and the Rogues could close that gap to 2.5 with a month left to play with a sweep. Indeed, that seems to've been their plan, as they won the first two games of the series.

And it looked like that's what was going to happen, as they absolutely clobbered Pedro Martinez--somehow the lesser of the two Martinezes--in the first inning. Tony Gwynn singled to lead off the bottom of the first, and Mickey Mantle immediately cashed in with a booming two run homer. Before Martinez could even catch his breath, Pete Rose and Mickey Cochrane touched him up for back to back doubles, making it 3-0. Babe Ruth, ancient but still channeling the power that's made him a force of nature, finished the rally with a two run shot of his own. Before the smoke had cleared, it was 5-0.

The elder Babe Adams seemed like he'd hold that lead. Sure, he gave a solo shot up to Ernie Banks the very next inning, but at 5-1 he still seemed in control. Martinez settled down, and there wasn't any drama until the fifth inning. The Jailbirds looked like they might climb back into it, but Rogers Hornsby stranded runners at the corners.

That brought in the bottom of the inning, and that's where the game seemed to change. Mantle walked, and Rose singled on a hit-and-run to put runners at the corners with nobody out. Cochrane lofted a fly ball to medium depth center, where it was caught by a charging Richie Ashburn.

Now, Ashburn's not a left fielder. His best asset is his defense, and it's sort of wasted in left field. But in this case, having a center-field capable arm in left proved invaluable, as he delivered a strike to home plate and nailed Mantle trying to score on a would-be sac fly. Suddenly, runners at the corners, nobody out, was man on first, two out, and Jackie Robinson smoked a ball toward the left field corner.

Ashburn snagged that with a diving grab, and the Jailbirds sprinted off the field, seemingly having found new life.

Pedro Martinez struck out the side the next two innings, all but ensuring that the Rogues would need to make that 5-1 lead hold up.

It quickly became a 5-2 lead as Ernie Banks scored Willie Mays on a sac fly in the seventh.

And then the floodgates opened in the eighth.

Adams started the inning, but immediately walked Hornsby on four pitches. Clangbang called to his bullpen to get Wade Davis warm and in a hurry.

Unbeknownst to him, White Frank Thomas had other ideas.

White Frank Thomas strolled toward the Rogues bullpen.

"Hey! You can't be in here!" said Whitey Ford. "This is the Rogues bullpen!"

Thomas smiled. "But Whitey, I am White Frank Thomas. We are kindred. We have the same name."

Ford frowned. "I don't think it works like th--"

His next words were cut off, as Thomas had used the similarity in names to confuse Ford long enough to stab him.

"Holy poo poo! What the gently caress, man?" shouted Davis, who stepped off the bullpen mound to attend his fallen teammate.

"I didn't do it. I'm Frank Thomas, and as you can see, Frank Thomas is up at the plate right now."

Davis turned and saw that Frank Thomas (the black one) was indeed at the plate. In fact, Black Frank Thomas roped a double to left to cut it to 5-4, and putting the tying run at second with nobody out.

"That's...I think maybe there are two of youuuuuuu" slurred Davis, as White Frank Thomas had used the distraction to hit Davis over the head.

Davis stumbled toward the field, summoned by Clangbang. But he wasn't quite himself.

A sacrifice bunt moved Thomas to third base, and then the Rogues brought the infield in.

Banks grounded back to Davis, but in his concussion-induced haze, he couldn't field the ball cleanly. Banks reached, Thomas scored, and the game was all knotted up at 5.

Another run scored after that, but then Orel Hershiser strode to the plate with a 6-5 lead and a man at second.

White Frank Thomas, the ideal pinch hitter, had made himself scarce, however. So Hershiser had to hit for himself.

Thing is, Orel Hershiser was basically the Mike Hampton or Don Drysdale of his day, and rapped a single the other way to make it 7-5.

Hershiser completed the game with the Rogues unable to rally.

With the comeback win, the Jailbirds stretched their division lead back to 4.5 games.

Clangbang, however, was not concerned with the assault and injury of yet two more players. An unearthly glow surrounded his hands as his took the mic at the postgame conference.

"We lost the game. But we may well have won the war. Blood calls out for blood."

A reporter asked what that meant, but was cut off as Clangbang shot blood from his eyes, turning that reporter--who'd never played baseball in his life--into a sudden star.

"Blood calls for blood!" shouted Clangbang. "The Rogues shall prevail! Though we may have to harvest every player on our roster, blood calls for blood!"

Given this disquieting rant, nobody even bothered to ask TMMadman about his team's crimes.

Whatever the power Clangbang referenced, however, it seems to be real. The Rogues swept their next series, and the Jailbirds only managed to avoid being swept by Towa City. Their lead is now down to 2.5 games.

GAME NOTES:
-Babe Ruth made two errors but alo hit a dinger. You're getting pretty much everything you could've asked out of Old Man Ruth.
-Richie Ashburn went 3-for-5, swiped two bags, and also probably saved the game with that outfield assist. We all mocked Madman for Ashburn in left, and for taking relievers, but I'm not sure his team is where it is without all of that.

The Rakers, the.

OK Williams is out of the lineup. Sorry about that.

I agree with KW: this team is just really unlucky with rolls. I expect it to be a strong contender in whatever round it first appears in.

BLOOD CALLS OUT FOR BLOOD

Suggestion: try winning a game.

You went on your last tear when OH went down. Maybe now that you've benched him you'll do better.

Agggh.

Not entirely out of the realm of possibility that JEB! finishes at .500

Albert Pujols! I command thee to awaken!

Maybe go to a 3-man in the Gauntlet?

PANIC!

Gotta get that team OBP up.

Tough to beat a team with pitching this good. Or with Jim Edmonds destroying baseballs.

Slim Sallee is available now, if you're so inclined.

Just not enough hitting, I think.

Gibson's down now too. What the hell did you do, man?

That Landers series did some serious damage to your postseason hopes. Not impossible though.

Does "Stan Coveleski isn't a Stan Covel-ace-guy" rhyme?

This could happen.

Every single hitter is batting .300. That's bonkers.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

5-2 and can't make up ground on everyone ahead of me. See y'all in the final round of the Gauntlet?

Send down Marc Rzepczynski and call up John Smoltz

Bullpen now looks like this:

Closer: John Smoltz
Set up: Rob Dibble
Short Relief: Craig Kimbrel
Short Relief: Greg Holland
Middle Relief: Joakim Soria
Long Relief: Roger Clemens

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to soooooooooooooooooooooo loving furious if I lose the division.

I WILL BURN DOWN EVERYTHING!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

loving hell, why did Foxx have to get injured now of all times? DL Foxx, call up Cooper. New lineup:

#1: Sheffield, RF
#2: Robinson, 1B
#3: Aaron, CF
#4: Sheffield, LF
#5: Santo, 3B
#6: Madlock, 2B
#7: Posey, C
#8: Rodriguez, SS
#9: [ Pitcher Slot ]

Bench:

Tulowitzki
Morgan
Heidrick
Myer
Delahanty
Cooper

Personal catcher orders: Cooper catches for Powell Ichi, Posey for everybody else.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FairGame, thank you for putting Williams out of the lineup. However, he’s going back in the lineup this week. Sorry!

1. Ted Williams (LF)
2. Rod Carew
3. Arky Vaughan
4. Mel Ott
5. Travis Jackson (3B)
6. Bill Terry
7. Al Simmons
8. Todd Hundley (C)
9. Pitcher

NOW LET’S DO THIS THANG

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

I would like to seize the means of both out and hit production at 2B, please, o Commissar Commisioner Smasher.

One change:

Gehringer plays 2B full-time.

Thanks!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hey guys we've got three updates on one page and like four more posts other than this one to reach the next page I think, so :justpost: so we can stop cluttering one page with multiple updates.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tris Speaker back in CF full time please!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Three loving updates on one page because the only loving posts that people are making at this point are lineup changes, even after I told you to stop making lineup changes.

Injury Report

Everett Eagles
Johnny Bench (C) (Don't Care) - 17 days
Eppa Rixey (SP) (Don't Care) - 14 days

South Bolton Eazy W's
Ted Simmons (C) (Don't Care) - 11 days

Pick 'em: Leave me alone

Interim United States Championship
Moscow Golden Tsars (c) @ Akabira Killer Mikes

Interim Intercontinental Championship
Burns Zephyrs (c) @ Montreal Marauders

Interim European Championship