Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Where the living gently caress is the new book? I don't need another SoIaF in my life, I need some overpowered Wizardry loving Up Demons and/or Faeries in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MadJackal posted:

Where the living gently caress is the new book? I don't need another SoIaF in my life, I need some overpowered Wizardry loving Up Demons and/or Faeries in my life.

It's in "gently caress you, I'll write it when I feel like it/I need more money" territory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I remember someone asking about it many, many pages ago, I report that The Man from the Diogenes Club by Kim Newman is being reprinted and will be released this Boxing Day.

The latest Anno Dracula book, One Thousand Monsters, came out last month. I have it on my shelf, but haven't started it yet.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Since I remember someone asking about it many, many pages ago, I report that The Man from the Diogenes Club by Kim Newman is being reprinted and will be released this Boxing Day.

The latest Anno Dracula book, One Thousand Monsters, came out last month. I have it on my shelf, but haven't started it yet.

It was me asking for it, and it's on my kindle-wishlist now.

EDIT: being a Kim Newman fan is loving weird. I read an interview many years ago where he referenced the fact that Geneviève from Annodracula is a pre-existing character and listed off a few of her previous adventures, which I dutifully looked for for many years before eventually discovering that he was talking about loving Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying novelizations.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 8, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

EDIT: being a Kim Newman fan is loving weird. I read an interview many years ago where he referenced the fact that Geneviève from Annodracula is a pre-existing character and listed off a few of her previous adventures, which I dutifully looked for for many years before eventually discovering that he was talking about loving Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying novelizations.

He has two or three universes inhabited by different versions of the same characters. There's the Warhammer tie-in books he wrote in the 80s at the start of his career; there's the Anno Dracula extended universe; and there's the Diogenes Club universe (which is the most extensive one he's done - he's spoken about how his aim with it is to create an original pulp universe - and also includes Angels of Music, The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School, Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles and I think some of his earlier stand alone short stories and novels like Jago and The Quorum).

I think Angels of Music is my favourite work of fiction he's written even though it's probably densest with references I don't recognise, because I love the concept of it so much: Charlie's Angels in Paris during La Belle Époque where the Angels are (in the first story) Christine Daaé, Trilby O'Ferrall and Irene Adler, Bosley is the Persian, Charlie is the Phantom of the Opera and the villain is the Countess Cagliostro.

The second or third part of the book is a Mission: Impossible parody involving a team of Angels composed of Audrey Hepburn characters going up against Charles Foster Kane, who has assembled a league of B-list villains from 1910s move serials so he can enact the plan from Tomorrow Never Dies.

Professor Moriarty is a close second.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 8, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is not bad, but feels kind of underwhelming as it is mostly setup for the next big AD novel that is supposed to look at the same setting one hundred years later (and according to the teaser at the end, feature the man from the Diogenes club as well.

e: drat, I totally missed Angels of Music. Need to get that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 8, 2017

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

He has two or three universes inhabited by different versions of the same characters. There's the Warhammer tie-in books he wrote in the 80s at the start of his career; there's the Anno Dracula extended universe; and there's the Diogenes Club universe (which is the most extensive one he's done - he's spoken about how his aim with it is to create an original pulp universe - and also includes Angels of Music, The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School, Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles and I think some of his earlier stand alone short stories and novels like Jago and The Quorum).

I think Angels of Music is my favourite work of fiction he's written even though it's probably densest with references I don't recognise, because I love the concept of it so much: Charlie's Angels in Paris during La Belle Époque where the Angels are (in the first story) Christine Daaé, Trilby O'Ferrall and Irene Adler, Bosley is the Persian, Charlie is the Phantom of the Opera and the villain is the Countess Cagliostro.

The second or third part of the book is a Mission: Impossible parody involving a team of Angels composed of Audrey Hepburn characters going up against Charles Foster Kane, who has assembled a league of B-list villains from 1910s move serials so he can enact the plan from Tomorrow Never Dies.

Professor Moriarty is a close second.

That sounds awesome!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

It is not bad, but feels kind of underwhelming as it is mostly setup for the next big AD novel that is supposed to look at the same setting one hundred years later (and according to the teaser at the end, feature the man from the Diogenes club as well.

Yeah, as I understand it, One Thousand Monsters was originally solicited as Anno Dracula 1999: Daikaiju (which he's said will homage cyberpunk and kaiju movies) but was converted into a prologue when he realised he was putting enough backstory in for it to be its own thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Tearing through Angels of Music and it's been really fun so far, although I have to wonder: I know how much Newman loves his references but ...Batman? I'll be sorely disappointed if it isn't Falke. On one hand, it seems really obvious and on the nose, on the other it's too good a joke to pass up... Meh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

Tearing through Angels of Music and it's been really fun so far, although I have to wonder: I know how much Newman loves his references but ...Batman? I'll be sorely disappointed if it isn't Falke. On one hand, it seems really obvious and on the nose, on the other it's too good a joke to pass up... Meh.

I am reminded of a short story by Chris Roberson that appeared years and years ago in one of the Tales of the Shadowmen books, in which the French film serial character Judex encounters a rich American doctor who's visiting Paris with his neglected wife in 1916. The wife reveals to Judex that she has had an affair with an American pilot named Kent Allard who is serving with the French air force, and although Allard doesn't know, she is pregnant with his child.

However, she plans to return to America and allow her husband to believe that the baby is his son, to ensure that he has the best education and upbringing possible, which a poor airman couldn't provide. Right at the end, the first names of the doctor and his wife are revealed: Thomas and Martha.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Jim Butcher will be speaking at our little library (seriously, its tiny) in Denver next week: https://www.facebook.com/events/1948248908767177/

Just thought I would drop this in here in case anyone wanted to go harass him about when the next Harry Dresden book will be out ;)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finished Angels of Music and while it's a good book and great fun, it's basically average Newman fare. I honestly think I enjoyed Secrets of Drearcliff Range more. And the Professor Moriarty stories won't be dethroned anytime soon.

I am kinda starting to get a crossover headache, though. Geneviéve being in Paris is sort of consistent with her being there in AD; but the Kate Reeds are obviously different people and how the hell does the Diogenes Club universe (which hasn't kicked in properly yet, mind you) fit in, discounting the fact it's gonna somewhat cross over with AD... Ugh.
I mean, they're all pastiches but now we're getting into the territory of pastiches of pastiches.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 16, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I can tell there's two main universes: there's the AD universe; and there's the Diogenes universe, which is a bit looser (after all, it already deals with alternate universes in stories like "Swellhead") and includes Drearcliff, Professor Moriarty and Angels of Music (as well as miscellaneous short stories like "A Drug On the Market" and "Is Anybody There?"). One of the very few times I've used Twitter was to ask Newman whether this was the case and his answer was basically, "Yeah, more or less."

The version of Genevieve in Angels of Music is the same one as appeared in, for example, "Sorcerer, Conjurer, Wizard, Witch" in Mysteries of the Diogenes Club; her appearance in Angels of Music is contemporaneous with the events of the novel Dracula. As I understand it, the implication is that whereas Anno Dracula is the timeline where Dracula won, Diogenes and its shared universe is the timeline where events played out basically as in the novel.

Likewise, as I recall, in "The Man Who Got Off the Ghost Train" in Secret Files of the Diogenes Club, there's a bit where Richard Jeperson discovers the corpse of Sebastian Moran, who shot himself with his own hunting rifle in one of the carriages, and unless I misremember, that's also alluded to in Professor Moriarty.

There is an AD version of Richard Jeperson who's only briefly mentioned in one of the Johnny Alucard stories and I presume that he's the one who'll be showing up in Anno Dracula 1999.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 16, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm reading the October Daye books! they're....they're okay! They're written well enough, I've never cringed but I've never been impressed by a phrase. The imagination and the world is kinda cool, but also kind of arbitrary and things just happen or dont happen to suit the plot. If you like UF as a genre, from the top to the bottom, they're well worth checking out. If you only like the cream of the crop, ehh, maybe pass

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

awesmoe posted:

I'm reading the October Daye books! they're....they're okay! They're written well enough, I've never cringed but I've never been impressed by a phrase. The imagination and the world is kinda cool, but also kind of arbitrary and things just happen or dont happen to suit the plot. If you like UF as a genre, from the top to the bottom, they're well worth checking out. If you only like the cream of the crop, ehh, maybe pass

I agree, October Day is up there in terms of Urban Fantasy. The first book has a cliche that I hate, but it gets much much better.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

October Daye books are great IMO. Solely deal with Faerie and the fae. There’s a few good overarching plots throughout, a good cast of likable characters, and they’re just about the right length for urban fantasy - not something you finish in a couple hours, but less than double digits.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Exmond posted:

I agree, October Day is up there in terms of Urban Fantasy. The first book has a cliche that I hate, but it gets much much better.

I love how later books put basically everything in this book into a new and different light (not to call it retcon).

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

It is not bad, but feels kind of underwhelming

The Japanese vampire Suzan Arashi is probably the best gag in the entire series though. I think I've gotten all the references other than Higo Yanagi and Tsunako Shiki who both have me stumped.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Japanese vampire Suzan Arashi is probably the best gag in the entire series though. I think I've gotten all the references other than Higo Yanagi and Tsunako Shiki who both have me stumped.

Most of the Japanese references are a bit lost on me. What's Suzan Arashi meant to be? If there's something I don't recognise in a Newman story, I tend to assume it's from an obscure horror movie from the 1960s. :v:

I wonder if the surname (Zark) he gave Drusilla from Buffy is a reference to anything? There's a little bit of Buffy in the book; references to how the Master was the top vampire in Europe before Dracula came along.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Same here. Please don't turn out to be anime.

e: Honestly, I've got to say my favorite Newman gag is the one I mentioned above in Angels of Music. Such a facepalm when that clicked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favourite is either the Hellraiser reference in The Bloody Red Baron (for "fair play, that one was clever" value) or the bit in the same book where the Red Baron impulsively shoots a small white beagle then doesn't understand why he did it.

The craziest part of the Die Fledermaus reference in Angels of Music that you mentioned is that one of the fictional opera singers who appears in it comes from a Looney Tunes short of all places.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Suzan Arashi

"Arashi" means "Storm" and she's got a form of vampirism that turns her invisible. It's a reference that's not even remotely Japanese which is why it took a while for it to sink in for me.

What did you guys think of the Popejoy stuff though? That started out funny as first but got a little heavy handed toward the end I think.

--EDIT--

Now that I think about it there's some stuff that may not be obvious to everyone. The antagonist of the novel is explicitly Yasunori Katō, from Doomed Megalopolis (M Bison stole his look) and if the bit about Lord Ruthven sticking his penis into the head of a dead pig while at university baffles you it's a 1:1 roman a clef retelling of a story about the last British Prime Minister which broke early in 2016.

All the yokai stuff in the book appears to have come out of Kwaidan by Lafcadio Hearn - the level of reference you'd expect given the other books is entirely missing sadly. No Ge-Ge-Ge no Kitaro or Koga Ninja Scrolls which you'd expect would be the minimum.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 18, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So if I enjoyed the Dresden Files books a lot and loved Tad Williams' Bobby Dollar books, where would I go for more urban fantasy with a film noir tone?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

SirSamVimes posted:

So if I enjoyed the Dresden Files books a lot and loved Tad Williams' Bobby Dollar books, where would I go for more urban fantasy with a film noir tone?

I like Stephen Blackmoore's stuff: City of the Lost and the Eric Carter series (same universe).

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

sandman slim series (meh), daniel faust series (ok), felix castor series (fairly decent), maybe alex verus series (great but maybe not what you're looking for)
for scale I would rate the first bobby dollar book as not bad and the second one as sub-meh.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Have any must reads come out in the past four years? I haven't read any dumb urban fantasy since the last Dresden book came out and I kind of miss it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ghetto Prince posted:

Have any must reads come out in the past four years? I haven't read any dumb urban fantasy since the last Dresden book came out and I kind of miss it.

For dumb urban fantasy read Alex Verus, for smart urban fantasy read Rivers of London.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Try the audio version of Rivers of London, because the tone of the narrator and the little music pieces here and there give it a noir feel.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think my favourite is either the Hellraiser reference in The Bloody Red Baron (for "fair play, that one was clever" value) or the bit in the same book where the Red Baron impulsively shoots a small white beagle then doesn't understand why he did it.

The craziest part of the Die Fledermaus reference in Angels of Music that you mentioned is that one of the fictional opera singers who appears in it comes from a Looney Tunes short of all places.

I think mine will always be Carl Kolchak showing up among the reporters in Anno Dracula.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ookiimarukochan posted:

"Arashi" means "Storm" and she's got a form of vampirism that turns her invisible. It's a reference that's not even remotely Japanese which is why it took a while for it to sink in for me.

Haha, okay, that's a contender for my new favourite.

quote:

What did you guys think of the Popejoy stuff though? That started out funny as first but got a little heavy handed toward the end I think.

I liked it fine. I had a smile at it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pretty disappointed by the new Harmony Black. I really liked the creepy X-Files-ness of the first one, but the more they've gone into government conspiracy, the less I've enjoyed it. Cold Spectrum was really dull and instantly forgettable for me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ghetto Prince posted:

Another vote for the audiobook version of Rivers of London. The narrator is loving perfect.

Plain old book reading of the series is good, but it hits a whole other level if you listen to the narration.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I just finished Empty Threat, the first novel of The Black Pages, by Danny Bell. I enjoyed it a lot.

Things I liked:
  • I enjoyed the main character's neurotic inner monologues quite a bit. She's fun.
  • It's interesting to read a story from the perspective of a realistic-feeling introvert. None of that "Dresden is totally an introvert, see how he goes six months without leaving his basement/island? (Nevermind that he then goes and calls out a mob boss first thing like it's NBD)," nonsense here.
  • The protagonist's power at the beginning of the book is really cool and interesting. It seems like there's lots of untapped potential there. It's related in theme to--but distinct in practice from--the power of Libriomancers in the Magic Ex Libris series by Hines which I also enjoy.

Things I didn't like:
  • The book felt rough, like it needed another round of editing or revision.
  • There was one point where the tension fell apart in an unbelievable way when the protagonists stop in the middle of a tense action sequence to take a nap. (Not even exaggerating, it still felt like they were still in danger and everything.)
  • The thing I liked the least, though, is that the protagonist's main power in the beginning of the book seems drastically different and unrelated to what it develops into at the end of the book, and the way the book ends it sounds like she'll be using more of the latter than the former in future installments.

I would still recommend it, though, as it's a quick read and was a fun time. I'm excited to see if the next installment improves on it. After all, most urban fantasy series have a rough first book or two.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Blasphemeral posted:

I just finished Empty Threat, the first novel of The Black Pages, by Danny Bell. I enjoyed it a lot.

Things I liked:
  • I enjoyed the main character's neurotic inner monologues quite a bit. She's fun.
  • It's interesting to read a story from the perspective of a realistic-feeling introvert. None of that "Dresden is totally an introvert, see how he goes six months without leaving his basement/island? (Nevermind that he then goes and calls out a mob boss first thing like it's NBD)," nonsense here.
  • The protagonist's power at the beginning of the book is really cool and interesting. It seems like there's lots of untapped potential there. It's related in theme to--but distinct in practice from--the power of Libriomancers in the Magic Ex Libris series by Hines which I also enjoy.

Things I didn't like:
  • The book felt rough, like it needed another round of editing or revision.
  • There was one point where the tension fell apart in an unbelievable way when the protagonists stop in the middle of a tense action sequence to take a nap. (Not even exaggerating, it still felt like they were still in danger and everything.)
  • The thing I liked the least, though, is that the protagonist's main power in the beginning of the book seems drastically different and unrelated to what it develops into at the end of the book, and the way the book ends it sounds like she'll be using more of the latter than the former in future installments.

I would still recommend it, though, as it's a quick read and was a fun time. I'm excited to see if the next installment improves on it. After all, most urban fantasy series have a rough first book or two.

Looks interesting. $15 for the paperback, no ebook offered? Nope.

Edit: I see goodreads references to the kindle edition, but it's not offered anywhere as one. And, the reviews track yours pretty well, too.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 28, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Kindle omnibus of the first six Dresden Files novels available for 7,99.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, this isn't exactly urban fantasy, but can anyone sell me on Jasper Fforde?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hey, this isn't exactly urban fantasy, but can anyone sell me on Jasper Fforde?

Haven't read it, but The Goodreads summary seems interesting.

quote:

Suspenseful and outlandish, absorbing and fun - a novel unlike any other and an introduction to the imagination of a most distinctive writer and his singular fictional universe.

Great Britain circa 1985: time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. Baconians are trying to convince the world that Francis Bacon really wrote Shakespeare, there are riots between the Surrealists and Impressionists, and thousands of men are named John Milton, an homage to the real Milton and a very confusing situation for the police. Amidst all this, Acheron Hades, Third Most Wanted Man In the World, steals the original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit and kills a minor character, who then disappears from every volume of the novel ever printed! But that's just a prelude . . .

Hades' real target is the beloved Jane Eyre, and it's not long before he plucks her from the pages of Bronte's novel. Enter Thursday Next. She's the Special Operative's renowned literary detective, and she drives a Porsche. With the help of her uncle Mycroft's Prose Portal, Thursday enters the novel to rescue Jane Eyre from this heinous act of literary homicide. It's tricky business, all these interlopers running about Thornfield, and deceptions run rampant as their paths cross with Jane, Rochester, and Miss Fairfax. Can Thursday save Jane Eyre and Bronte's masterpiece? And what of the Crimean War? Will it ever end? And what about those annoying black holes that pop up now and again, sucking things into time-space voids . . .

That actually sounds somewhat Urban Fantasy-ish as long as the Libriomancer series counts.

This review of the book is pretty funny to read, too.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 6, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megazver posted:

The Kindle omnibus of the first six Dresden Files novels available for 7,99.

I assume this was a sale, because it's $43.99 now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The last comment there, a full nine years after the original review was posted:

quote:

i liked this book actually

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The last comment there, a full nine years after the original review was posted:

:D

This other book by the same author sounds a lot more interesting.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2113260.Shades_of_Grey