Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He also jumps into Sand guy's attack as a distraction for the other guys. He's become such a good evil friend. :)

Really taking Midoriya's advice to heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should point out that Compress did not steal Overhauls hand, just the arm between his hand and shoulder. Which he likely just did out of vindictiveness nothing to do with Shigaraki or AFO.

didn't he just disintegrate overhaul's hand and cut it off above there so he wouldn't die from it? it doesn't look like he took an arm with him

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't he just disintegrate overhaul's hand and cut it off above there so he wouldn't die from it? it doesn't look like he took an arm with him

Shigaraki disintegrated his right arm, then cut it off. Compress, as stated, only stole the middle part of Overhaul's left arm, not the hand, which I just noticed myself upon rereading the chapter; you can see his forearm still sticking out of the handcuffs. So, yeah, probably just revenge, not power-stealing or whatever.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They could just fish the hand out of the manacle box.

It makes a lot of sense as a callback to the whole "captured pieces join your side" shogi monologue that Overhaul gave Shiggy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope the sand guy is ok.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
:rip: sand hogan

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mabels big day posted:

Considering he was set on fire then trapped in a small space with the fire it's not looking good for him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

How does he even know Overhaul's hands are what controls his power?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mabels big day posted:

He was bisected when his upper half turned into the marble.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
GRAND THEFT AUTO!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dabi specifically says he thinks the sand dude is gonna die because he was basically bisected even if he can turn his upper half to sand.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The look on Overhaul's face at the end is great.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

How does he even know Overhaul's hands are what controls his power?

Either from when they fought before or because Overhaul's hands are in the anti-quirk box.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I believe in the sand guy

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
He's probably more a glass guy now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rhonne posted:

GRAND THEFT AUTO!
Remind me to make that my new battle cry.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mabels big day posted:

I believe in the sand guy

Despite having the worst superhero name ever.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

...Also, I just realized, both Spinner and Shigaraki reference video games for real life things, and I think at least one or two other VA members have as well. Now I'm imagining them all gaming together or something.

the traitor is actually just their gaming buddy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So basically Shigaraki has officially crossed the line where there's no plausible redemption (other than one of those that involves doing something good where he dies in the process). Which is probably for the best; it's kinda nice to have someone the heroes can want to fight without reservations, though it makes his connection to All Might's predecessor muddle things up some.

edit: Like I can just imagine All Might's predecessor up in heaven, smiling down on this chapter.

vvv Yeah, but redemption of villains isn't exactly uncommon in shounen, and his connection to a pretty iconic good character would normally make it even more likely than he goes out on a positive note.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 18, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think redemption was ever going to be an option for any of the VA. They're all pretty extremely murdery and have never given a gently caress about it. Shiragaki was going to kill several children!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Shiragaki has done enough bad stuff that if he was ever redeemed he'd have to die right after.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if orochimaru can live, anyone can. hell buu is the greatest monster in the history of the universe and now he's chilling with mr satan

shigaraki probably isn't gonna get redeemed tho. the principal did specifically call all might out on wanted to do that, didn't he?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Any redemption story in MHA would also be followed up with prison and taking the character out of the story

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

if orochimaru can live, anyone can. hell buu is the greatest monster in the history of the universe and now he's chilling with mr satan

shigaraki probably isn't gonna get redeemed tho. the principal did specifically call all might out on wanted to do that, didn't he?

the power of yeah... sorry is strong.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, there was a whole scene where All Might was told he can't pursue Shigaraki or he'll die. All Might would absolutely try to get some redemption out of Shigaraki if they ever meet, and I could see Shigaraki going along with it for a little bit just to see All Might's despair when Shigaraki disintegrates him.

And that's as close as I think he'd get to a redemption arc. A fakeout right before a really brutal murder happens.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, I hear "Hori is not a Togashi level writer" a lot in response to overzealous fans wanting Hori to subvert generic shonen tropes and character trajectories, and I think that's generally right in that MHA is well executed but not terribly groundbreaking shonen in terms of narrative creativity, but it's is far from Naruto level terms of lazy and bad story decisions. We're not going to see Deku talk to Shiggy about the power of friendship and then him see the error of his ways. I hope the trend continues in making Shiggy as detestable for the protagonists as possible. Heck, I hope he Noumus All Might and Deku has to put him down. It's cool to have Shiggy get as bad as Deku is going to get good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

We're not going to see Deku talk to Shiggy about the power of friendship
If anything, the reverse might happen :v:

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Terper posted:

If anything, the reverse might happen :v:

Honestly, yeah, that standard shounen "bonds between people are the true power" shtick has been almost exclusively the province of the Villain Alliance in MHA (albeit in a somewhat negative "no one will have us but us" way), while the protagonists generally trust more in symbols or institutions than each other.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
VA leads a communist revolution against an authoritarian state, overthrows the corrupt system upheld by "heroes".

But yeah, the only VA member with a real shot at being redeemed is probably Twice, and that will still likely end with something tragic happening to him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm calling a spinner face turn.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They're at least hinting at Spinner, though who knows if anything will come of it. Probably not before he gets at least one fight, since the Friendship bacilli are transmitted primarily by fist-to-face contact.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh right, I entirely forgot Spinner, whoops

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Shirageki won't get redemption, Toga and Blackflames McEdge are probably too far gone in their hosed up ness to, but I could definitely see Spinner turning and maybe Twice finally getting the therapy he desperately needs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly it's a bit harder to hit Shigaraki with Friendship given that he has a bunch of friends. They are just a bunch of vicious and remorseless murderers like Shigaraki.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya is absolutely going to try and save Shigaraki and will likely succeed in the end.

Like, it's right there in the manga. Nana specifically says that it's not just saving someone's body, but saving their heart as well because they've had to experience something terrible. That's in there for a reason- it informs the more perfect ideal of heroism that incorporates what All Might took from Nana and what Midoriya will bring to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My one issue with Shigaraki is that his motive is pretty transparently stupid. Like, being angry at heroes for not being able to save Literally Everybody has to be one of the dumber reasons to hate heroes in this setting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

My one issue with Shigaraki is that his motive is pretty transparently stupid. Like, being angry at heroes for not being able to save Literally Everybody has to be one of the dumber reasons to hate heroes in this setting.

I think he's more angry they weren't able to save him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's not that his motive is heroes can't save everybody. That's an excuse and a facade.

All Might couldn't save him when he needed it and that's what he's pissed about.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And then AFO got his hooks into him and probably really twisted him up mentally and morally.

Remember, he's basically a human weapon crafted by one of the most evil people ever specifically to hurt his enemy in every possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Midoriya is absolutely going to try and save Shigaraki and will likely succeed in the end.

Like, it's right there in the manga. Nana specifically says that it's not just saving someone's body, but saving their heart as well because they've had to experience something terrible. That's in there for a reason- it informs the more perfect ideal of heroism that incorporates what All Might took from Nana and what Midoriya will bring to it.

I'm sure they'll have their ideological battle while deku grinds his face into the pavement, but shigaraki is 100% ending up in super jail. they're not gonna just forgive and forget