Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Another thing that some people don't take into account with big pulls is that some trash just hits really hard.

The Ochu's in Sohm Al stick out as one instance. Had plenty of times with a tank chainpulling something that involved them and splatting to the floor.
In Bardam's, the tiny birds that accompany the Zu do an inane amount of damage, autoing for a couple thousand damage and their special attack adding on another thousand or on top of that. And that's all they do.

i will admit that leveling dungeons require a certain amount of finesse; i'm convinced that pulling the first groups in Bardam's to the wall with the heads is basically suicide, no matter what you do. i remember trying to do it with a buddy a few times before saying gently caress this, those little guys hit way too hard for how many of them there are.

mind you, pulling "big" doesn't need to mean wall-to-wall, it's just the willingness to try to pull more than the bare minimum. sometimes this means pulling only one or two groups if pulling 3 would just be too much to reliably handle in level-synced gear.

doma castle has a couple of nutty pulls, too; the iron giant in the start + the next 2 pulls, or the 3 groups around the cannons after the second boss i think. when I was leveling whm i put my foot down on those, i pushed all my buttons and it wasn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Woooooooooo, Shatter mount unlocked!

Oh jesus christ what

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It's all goal oriented. You guys talking about doing your chores for your tomestones in the same dungeon you've run for the 70th time on the same class, are not on the same page as me. I'm trying to level a class on the side for fun that I haven't played outside a command mission or potd since ARR. I'm undergeared and inexperienced. I don't really care if it takes you 5 minutes longer to run your chores, especially if it means I'm constantly struggling to keep your hp up.

Now if I'm syncing down with you on sch or as tank, the heck yeah lets do this poo poo.

Also, yes 50/60 and EXDR are wildly different situations than lldr.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally I'm of the opinion that wiping isn't a big deal, so it's better (and more fun) to try big pulls and fail than to not try at all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wiping isn't a big deal until it keeps happening.

Once in a blue moon it keeps happening.

That's not fun at all.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Oh jesus christ what

There's a protest in the reach over what meat KFC's meals should be made of. They want Couerl instead of Chocobo.

Friend's shots.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm only levelling a tank up to cap just now for the first time since ARR but for my pull size, I generally do a medium pull for the first one and gauge how fast it does and how well healed I'm getting.

Biggest pulls is a red herring and merely the ideal objective, you're going slower if your DPS don't AoE properly, at all or are poorly geared and a bad healer isn't going to keep up. Wipes are the slowest pulls of all, after all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Level 50 DRK Quest was great, even if I was spoiled on the reveal a while back.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 18, 2017

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
I don't even care that it's just leveling gear, I'm kinda in love with the way my gathering set looks.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Sarrisan posted:

i will admit that leveling dungeons require a certain amount of finesse; i'm convinced that pulling the first groups in Bardam's to the wall with the heads is basically suicide, no matter what you do. i remember trying to do it with a buddy a few times before saying gently caress this, those little guys hit way too hard for how many of them there are.

mind you, pulling "big" doesn't need to mean wall-to-wall, it's just the willingness to try to pull more than the bare minimum. sometimes this means pulling only one or two groups if pulling 3 would just be too much to reliably handle in level-synced gear.

doma castle has a couple of nutty pulls, too; the iron giant in the start + the next 2 pulls, or the 3 groups around the cannons after the second boss i think. when I was leveling whm i put my foot down on those, i pushed all my buttons and it wasn't enough.

That one's extra-fun as the healer because the Colossus loves to aim giant AOEs at you. They hurt enough that they're guaranteed to interrupt a cast, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could oneshot an undergeared healer or caster. Even the more gung-ho goon tanks mostly deal with that thing by itself. And yeah, I've never seen a tank even try to pull the entire first section of Bardam's Mettle. I'm guessing I could keep them up as SCH by blowing Dissipation (assuming the DPS can kill stuff quickly while getting zero contribution from me) but it wouldn't be easy.

As long as we're sort of on the subject of tanks, I'm bringing my PLD up through the ranks, currently level 53. I'm guessing that Sheltron can be popped whenever on trash pulls, and saved for tankbusters if possible? Does it give less/any mitigation on magic damage, or did they make everything blockable in Stormblood?

Also, leveling through the 50s means that I had to go back through some Heavensward areas, and I kinda forgot how pretty a lot of them are.

Dravanian Hinterlands:

The Churning Mists:

Granted, most of them are about 50% bigger than they should be, but I do miss all of the mysterious ruins and tunnels and areas that have no real purpose other than to look pretty. Like, you could ignore 2/3 of The Churning Mists (except for grabbing aether currents) unless you're determined to do every sidequest there. And even then, you'd have no reason to fly to all of the little shrines and stuff that are floating around the edges of the area unless you're doing the sightseeing log or like taking too many pictures (like me). Like, there's some really strong visual storytelling in the whole game, and Heavensward probably does the best job of it with the fallen ruins of the Dravanian/Elezen civilization, the frozen battlefields in Coerthas Western Highlands, and the melancholy atmosphere of the Hinterlands.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Forelands is my fav HW zone, mostly for the music.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Forelands is my fav HW zone, mostly for the music.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the death pull in bardam's isn't bad as long as A) you're a white mage and B) the tank has level-appropriate gear. the trash doesn't stay up long enough that the tank will actually run out of cooldowns during the pull, and then it's easy street.

doing the last room of skalla in one go seems a bit more vicious, since the DPS are taking nontrivial damage during it and it's near the end of the dungeon, so there's no guarantee everyone has all their cooldowns. i hold benediction and presence of mind when that pull's coming up, but i could see it going south really fast if a healer cast is interrupted or the tank is bad/dry on cooldowns. or if either had marginal gear.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

:randstare:

:negative:

Edit: actual content: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/352291-Novice-network-mentor-wars

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Skalla huge pull at the end isn't too bad if you're prepared yep, and I'd go as far as saying it's trivial if you have a caster use LB on them.

Good luck getting a caster pubbie who will use the LB on that pull.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Huh, if I didn't know any better then I'd have assumed the OP was from Omega a couple of months ago.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Speed runs stress support roles and it doesn't take much for everything to go pear-shaped esp w/DF folks. I can understand if ppl are familiar w/friends but it gets depressing when everything burns down around me on DRK due to ppl hitting the wrong buttons, DPS pulling everyone, and healer failing to manage aggro which happened often despite it being LLDR.

In a unrelated note I hope SE fixes DRK and streamline it's gameplay SOON.

btw: EXDR is the most calming DR v:v:v

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, it's because you don't reach for a button that isn't there, and then have to go to plan C.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Sarrisan posted:

i guess everyone has their own preferences in playstyle but when i'm healing and the tank does small pulls i wanna kms, it's so boring.

like for the love of god make me press more than 1 button, please

The best part is BLM aoe rotation is optimal when it's 3 or more targets, so if a tank pulls 3 mobs or 15 mobs you're doing the same rotation but in the case of the former you're just there for 5 times longer because you have to do it five times over.

What I'm saying is if people don't pull from lockout to lockout (assuming they won't wipe) I have a loving melty.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The worst part of the BLM aoe rotation is that everyone else has a sixth sense and knows which mob you're casting your spell on and unanimously decide to kill it stone dead when you have 0.21 left on your cast bar.

And the fact that you're a BLM.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chucat posted:

What I'm saying is if people don't pull from lockout to lockout (assuming they won't wipe) I have a loving melty.

Speed runs depend on the healer's ability though :sigh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Perhaps primarily, but you're not succeeding a speed run with a tank who mitigates poorly and DPS who can't kill the mobs before the healer's tank runs dry or take unnecessary damage. There are a lot of factors to a speed pull and only looking at one is a costly mistake to make.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Brainamp posted:

Forgot to take a shot of us the like three weeks ago when we actually cleared it, but Mad Snake Eaters cleared O3S.

Edit: Just realized I wasn't in maximum graphics for the pretty picture :negative:

Grats guys!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Grats guys!

Update: We've seen enrage on ExFaust. With one person alive, but we've seen it! :v:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If you want a relaxing expert roulette, then pulling at least two groups should be fine and tends to satisfy most people. I find it's often a comfortable compromise.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

If slow runs are so boring start a conversation in party or FC chat or listen to a podcast or something. Tanks run at different paces and you have to deal with that in both directions.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

If slow runs are so boring start a conversation in party or FC chat or listen to a podcast or something. Tanks run at different paces and you have to deal with that in both directions.

Yeah let me just get right on typing when I should always be casting. The run is boring because I'm spending more time doing the same rotation while staring longingly at the enemy pack 40 yalms away that could be dragged into the witch's cauldron, not because I'm sitting getting to sit around for several minutes doing nothing.

Like I said, if they pull too much and die, fine, pull less, then I don't care. But when they just start the dungeon by pulling one pack at a time and the healer is doing nothing and the tank is taking no damage and the other dps is single targetting because why not, then it's just a piece of poo poo.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I fantasiaed to a potato to tip my static's balance towards majority potato (3 potatos). Am I a monster?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yes

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Lalas aren't people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's a weird idea, but maybe doing MMO dungeons with strangers on the internet isn't the best thing to do if you just want to chill out and relax?

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
I don't recall siging a social contract saying I'd pull one or two packs, or everything.

If you have any expectations of how someone should play, perhaps you should make arrangements with them? Like associating beforehand.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The communication about the extension of this maintenance for the EU servers is pretty poor.
It was due up an hour ago with an update saying it'd be up 50 minutes ago, with nothing said since.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Another thing that some people don't take into account with big pulls is that some trash just hits really hard.

The Ochu's in Sohm Al stick out as one instance. Had plenty of times with a tank chainpulling something that involved them and splatting to the floor.
In Bardam's, the tiny birds that accompany the Zu do an inane amount of damage, autoing for a couple thousand damage and their special attack adding on another thousand or on top of that. And that's all they do.

Most really good parties I've been in have in some part known about this, from tanks using extra defensive stuff, healer's using extra heal/stun stuff and DPS focusing on the problem mobs while AoEing everything down.

Also vice versa is true.

Good healers will get comms and get bitched out for stressing bad tanks.

Bad healers will get comms and get bitched out for either trying to DPS and failing or not DPSing at all.

I had a drk in a bardams while I was leveling sch and, in level appropriate nq gear, I physically could not keep him alive if he tried to pull more than one mob, no matter how hard or honestly I tried to heal. All my slots were burned, all my cool downs were used, and I still could not keep up with the damage

So yeah I get nervous with big pulling in leveling dungeons, but 50/60/70 go nuts

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

motoh posted:

I don't recall siging a social contract saying I'd pull one or two packs, or everything.

If you have any expectations of how someone should play, perhaps you should make arrangements with them? Like associating beforehand.

{Hello!}

[entire dungeon]

Thanks!

[dungeon has ended]

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

One of those cases where I can't tell if OP is a career troll or just broke-brained but it sounds like everybody on Faerie hates them either way.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Thundarr posted:

One of those cases where I can't tell if OP is a career troll or just broke-brained but it sounds like everybody on Faerie hates them either way.

I could only read the first two pages. I imagine the other 15 is just more of the same.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thundarr posted:

There's a point when if you've been doing it long enough it no longer matters if you're not actually messed up in the brains. OP is well past that point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Using a Level 60 Summoner to dunk on Lahabrea in ARF is the most satisfying thing ever from a narrative perspective. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally I'm of the opinion that wiping isn't a big deal, so it's better (and more fun) to try big pulls and fail than to not try at all.

Leveling DRK, I've come to feel this way too. A single death is at least something to talk about. I can gauge what my healer is workin with and they get the same from me. Sometimes it's Stone Vigil and I have all of 1 cooldown, so I go soft. If you aggro that first big room all at once, you're dying. Or maybe I'm trash, but either way, there's no point. In Skalla on my PLD, I go for wall to wall. That last pull is kinda dodgy, but I think popping Hallowed solves that so long as you don't pop it and then immediately die since it has some kind of lag and gently caress's sake why am I dead again.

Also, I found the 50-60 DRK stuff weirdly boring.