Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AHAHAHAHA CHRISTMAS HAS COME EARLY

KEEP POSTING NANCY NO MATTER WHAT I NEED TO SEE THIS CRASH AND BURN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

So is it just me or do those introductions have gently caress all to do with the story we end up seeing? I'm trying to figure out how we started with "this was a time of frequent IRA bombings" to "Modesty is conscripted to participate in a hot air balloon competition and accidentally becomes a witness to a fight to the death and is captured by an eighteen century aristocracy cult" and I uh, I'm totally lost.

It's a comic made during the Cold War, which means that the easy way to sell your villain was to put in some scary eastern bloc stereotypes that hang around the guy for some reason.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Beetle Bailey, November 6 2017

Classic Beetle Bailey, November 6 1956

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:staredog:
Wowza!

I'm probably going to post if there's a new Gilchrist strip so we can follow the progress but I'll skip the reruns (like today).

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LvK posted:

so, ahh, this came up on my Twitter feed and I thought of this thread (I fell behind two years ago and just haven't been in them ever since, whoops)

Y'know our "pal" Guy Gilchrist? He's, uh... he's been up to some stuff, and he sounds like a real piece of poo poo, alright!

https://twitter.com/MuppetFeminist/status/931591227660783616
November 1 she posted that. I suppose that means this incident probably roughly coincides with when his art and writing went weird. I wonder is she was working on the strip with him or some other project.

Also gently caress Guy Gilchrist, and I mean that more than usual.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

*Old Jungle Saying

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 13, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 13, 1996)

Lest you haven't been previously exposed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

I grew up on the Gulf Coast, so :allears:

Garfield Classic (April 13, 1986)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Would this be a good occasion to open a separate thread for galactic rear end in a top hat Guy G. Gilchrist and to look back at the hints of his breakdown?

(Not me, I'm just an ideas man :v:)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bongo Bill posted:

Sounds like as good an excuse as any to stop posting Gilchrist Nancy.

Nice try but we still got Mike Lester and Al Capp in this thread so being a giant piece of poo poo isn't a disqualifier.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Would this be a good occasion to open a separate thread for galactic rear end in a top hat Guy G. Gilchrist and to look back at the hints of his breakdown?

There's not a lot of crossover, I don't think, between the rest of BSS and this thread, but there's a "dark side of the comics industry" thread that is (unfortunately, because we live in a fallen world) pretty robust, so instead of making an entire thread, you might want to have the conversation there.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I didn't think I could hate Gilchrist more than I already did. I can't believe how wrong I was.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm glad our irrationally strong hatred towards him was actually justified.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Some Guy TT posted:

Well poo poo. This explains those weird Hallmark card comics he was making . Must have known the writing was on the wall.

?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

My Lovely Horse posted:

AHAHAHAHA CHRISTMAS HAS COME EARLY

KEEP POSTING NANCY NO MATTER WHAT I NEED TO SEE THIS CRASH AND BURN

Ditto.

Pity the fellow who writes for Ted Forth is already so busy, as I'd like to see what he'd do with the Nancy ensemble.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ms Boods posted:

Ditto.

Pity the fellow who writes for Ted Forth is already so busy, as I'd like to see what he'd do with the Nancy ensemble.

Sluggo joins Al Qaida, CIA trains Nancy to go capture him. In a plot twist, Fritzi has been working for the Russians and it takes two Viet Nam vets to save the day

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't followed this thread in years but I I just needed to see if you guys had seen the Gilchrist thing.

To follow up I also saw this posted

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

:whoptc:

Guy isn’t doing so hot I see.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is the most unsurprising thing that has ever happened

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Nenonen posted:

Sluggo joins Al Qaida, CIA trains Nancy to go capture him. In a plot twist, Fritzi has been working for the Russians and it takes two Viet Nam vets to save the day

:allears: Do go on. I want to know if all of the references to oldies rock and roll artists and ancient television shows are some sort of coded message, a la Mother Night.

I want, nay need, one of those giant supersoakers for the next meeting I have to have when senior management announce their latest demented initiative.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:thurman:

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
What the gently caress did that "Sluggo's Sleepy Deep Thoughts" about baseball even mean

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

I think we all need this strip now more than ever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
loving Lupin is exposing the business :cornette:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LOL oh LOL

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

nice meltdown

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Uh...he was born in 1957 according to Wikipedia. What is that hat supposed to mean?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There’s something entirely unwholesome about a comic strip about a lady’s three cats and the ~*WACKY*~ adventures they have

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Our fourteen month old daughter emits an ear piercing shriek of delight every time she sees a cat so I get it. Cats and babies, chaos reigns

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Guy Gilchrist is a goddamn monster, okay.

BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Well, I chuckled.

Wizard of Id

and now some catch-up posts:

Big Nate

Wallace

Curtis

Baby Blues

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace

This is good poo poo. Comic #2 in this set I particularly like, in part because it's another one of the artist playing with speech balloons in a very innovative way.

the bus

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

I would probably watch Snoop as Willy Wonka

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
tbh i'm surprised someone hasn't done a parody with snoop as wonka and the chocolate as edibles

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

How about some positivity from one of the thread's best artists?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kidcoelacanth posted:

nice meltdown

Nice opus. I wonder what Gilchrist's Freep handle is.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 20 and 22, 1930)

Peanuts (Novermber 17 and 21, 1970)

:siren:SAINT LISA OF CANCERWIFE :siren:
(in Funky Winkerbean)

Crankshaft

Malls with a newsstand? Not around here, they didn't...

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 22-23, 1930)

Thimble Theater (June 9-10, 1931)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

I haven't followed this thread in years but I I just needed to see if you guys had seen the Gilchrist thing.

To follow up I also saw this posted

That total lack of punctuation and basic grammar really makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt!

Also Jesus Goddamn Christ he called the woman accusing him of sexual harassment "Sweetheart" how can he be that loving stupid?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I can't even parse that. It makes Sarah Palin seem like Ernest Hemingway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Our fourteen month old daughter emits an ear piercing shriek of delight every time she sees a cat so I get it. Cats and babies, chaos reigns

Is your daughter named Ramona?

"We still have our GNC though..."

It always seems that a dying mall's last holdouts are a GNC and at least one jewelry store.

• Locked thread