Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

Okay so. I just beat NieR: Automata. At least, the "first time". I saw the A storyline or whatever (I also killed myself with a fish once). Now the message at the end, and what I've heard from various internet people is that to really get the full experience you need to play through it multiple times. So I want to ask: Do you have to play through the WHOLE game, all over again, each time?

Because I'm gonna be honest, I didn't find the gameplay all that great. The combat felt like it really wanted to be like Bayonetta but it never felt nearly as good. The boss battles went on WAY too long in a lot of cases (and also not nearly as OMG CRAZY as everyone made them out to be), some of the various action sequences took way too long (the escape from the factory for instance was a slog), and I didn't like how much back and forth running around there was. I hated the sequence where you were looking for 2B after the ocean fight, because it sent you back across the flooded city, back to the camp, back to the flooded city, back out again, to the city ruins, into the cave, all without being able to teleport to the camp. It also drove me crazy how many invisible walls there were. It's one thing to have invisible walls at the boundary of the city or something. But every single building had these huge openings in them that you couldn't go through because of invisible walls.

I have a lot of complaints, so you're probably like "just don't play it again" but I DO find the story and the setting interesting, even though I don't really like 9S. I like the robot village folks too. So if you want to see the other endings do you have to replay it all over again or how does it work?

Also this is totally a game that was kind of ruined for me by all the hype it got. The game didn't even come close to being as good as all the hype, for me. The gameplay just never felt that great

playthrough B covers a lot of the same ground as A but with some cool gameplay differences. C, is different entirely, D and E are basically just ending sequences that play after an in game choice and you can just use chapter select to jump to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If the beginning of route B doesn't pique your interest, I don't know if you will have the wherewithal to get through it.

The first few hours of route B will be similar to route A but with a different perspective it will change your understanding of a lot of things that you've seen so far. The last third of route B and all of route C are completely different.

Honestly none of the OMG CRAZY battles are in route A. Or at least I liked them but it gets far more intense later

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Cool thank you folks. :) We'll see if route B's story stuff can overcome the gameplay stuff to keep me playing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wish they had used different nomenclature or something because finishing route A is basically just completing one chapter, it's like if someone watched Rashomon and thought they were done after the first sequence because it's just showing the same stuff again!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its fine.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Just finished The Sexy Brutale, and I gotta say, the title really does the game a disservice for how much it owns in every other way.

Completely wrote it off when it first came out 'cause I had no idea it was actually supposed to be a Groundhog Day timeloop murder mystery adventure/puzzle game with a ballin' soundtrack. Don't make the same mistake I did, folks!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Sexy Brutale is a great name tho

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

yeah but im dumb and thought it was a bayonetta knockoff for some reason

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Macaluso posted:

9S is like if Warren from Life is Strange wore a blindfold

Help I can’t stop imagining him filling 2B’s inbox with inquiries about whether she’s ”ready to go ape” now

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got Viva Pinata to work and spent about 3 hours playing it instead of doing anything productive. Its just so cute to raise all the little animals and then make them kill each other to get better animals! :downs:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nervous about my flawless splatfest record rn

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't play any more resident evil 4 this year. i've unlocked leon's swanky outfit and the handcannon and i've beaten every extra game mode and i've unlocked the ray cannon thing. i'm DONE

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Colonel posted:

i can't play any more resident evil 4 this year. i've unlocked leon's swanky outfit and the handcannon and i've beaten every extra game mode and i've unlocked the ray cannon thing. i'm DONE

Hmmm, delete your file and START OVERR :unsmigghh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Kraken posted:

I got Viva Pinata to work and spent about 3 hours playing it instead of doing anything productive. Its just so cute to raise all the little animals and then make them kill each other to get better animals! :downs:

the beautiful period between devs realizing that casual games can be good and sell well, and when they realized you can just put in a million cash shop purchases and not care about fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Nervous about my flawless splatfest record rn

What did you choose?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oLZC_M0c9g

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well I meant to start playing NieR Automata tonight but instead I looked at pictures of adoptable cats at the local animal shelter, because I think (hope) that Hope is lonely and wants a friend :unsmith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sometimes I feel like getting a pet but I'm pretty sure doing that would just make me miss my old dog more.

I should get a fish tank instead. I wish I had some fish to look at.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Macaluso posted:

Okay so. I just beat NieR: Automata. At least, the "first time". I saw the A storyline or whatever (I also killed myself with a fish once). Now the message at the end, and what I've heard from various internet people is that to really get the full experience you need to play through it multiple times. So I want to ask: Do you have to play through the WHOLE game, all over again, each time?

Because I'm gonna be honest, I didn't find the gameplay all that great. The combat felt like it really wanted to be like Bayonetta but it never felt nearly as good. The boss battles went on WAY too long in a lot of cases (and also not nearly as OMG CRAZY as everyone made them out to be), some of the various action sequences took way too long (the escape from the factory for instance was a slog), and I didn't like how much back and forth running around there was. I hated the sequence where you were looking for 2B after the ocean fight, because it sent you back across the flooded city, back to the camp, back to the flooded city, back out again, to the city ruins, into the cave, all without being able to teleport to the camp. It also drove me crazy how many invisible walls there were. It's one thing to have invisible walls at the boundary of the city or something. But every single building had these huge openings in them that you couldn't go through because of invisible walls.

I have a lot of complaints, so you're probably like "just don't play it again" but I DO find the story and the setting interesting, even though I don't really like 9S. I like the robot village folks too. So if you want to see the other endings do you have to replay it all over again or how does it work?

Also this is totally a game that was kind of ruined for me by all the hype it got. The game didn't even come close to being as good as all the hype, for me. The gameplay just never felt that great
The way people threw around "playthrough" and/or "replay" with Nier:A was ultimately really misleading.

It's a game essentially divided into two parts/halves. At this point you've effectively experienced the first part and have seen zero of the second, meaning 100% of that second half is new and not at all a new playthrough/replay. In fact you only need to go through that part once, just having to do the final boss fight again to see the different endings. HOWEVER to get there you go through the first part again with a different perspective character (three guesses as to who) who has an important different gameplay mechanic addition. Since you keep your levels/equipment/sidequests completed this aspect goes really quickly unless you want to dilly dally for whatever reason.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah people never really mention how fast route B is because all the sidequests you complete in route a stay complete and you basically tear through everything except the bosses. It's at most half the length of route A and thats just if you go out of your way to look for hack chests or try to complete the sidequests you werent able to in route a.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I never actually saw anyone hype the gameplay much except existing DrakeNier fans celebrating just that it's functional and not sub-30fps this time

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s easy to get hyped by a combination of platinum + yoko taro, unfortunately the former was a huge disappointment because the gameplay is bland as hell.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'd be totally cool with the accessible core gameplay style they chose if they didn't kinda chicken out with the kind of crazy gameplay twists you'd expect after the first game.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Sometimes I feel like getting a pet but I'm pretty sure doing that would just make me miss my old dog more.

you should give a nice dog or cat a home if you can

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I understand feeling that way, but I've found it's not fair to compare one pet to another. Try to appreciate each of your pets for their personality. One may really like to cuddle, but another may be a goofball. Find what makes them unique and celebrate them for that. Don't expect a new pet to fill the void left by a previous pet, instead care for a new pet to build a bond with them and learn what makes that individual awesome.

If you have the means (finances, big enough living space for a dog, etc) you should open your home to another cat or dog. It'll be rewarding and if you're anything like me, help you move on from grieving from the loss of a pet.

Pets rule. :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

What did you choose?

Fantasy. I think they're losing

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Last night in "bad at videogames," I couldn't figure out how to merge a mercenary fleet of 10 ships into a levi fleet of 7 ships so I could put my army of 1500 dudes onto some boats to take Canarias. CKII, why? I know it's been a year since I last played, but I don't remember struggling this much to get some men on a dinky island during the tutorial.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of GOTY conversations with regards to gameplay issues, I think there are far, FAR bigger problems with Zelda's combat or the motion controls in Mario Odyssey than anything in Nier. Nier's problem is just that it's sort of deceptively simple and easy to make yourself basically unkillable.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can just turn off the motion controls in Odyssey

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

You can just turn off the motion controls in Odyssey
Not for the spin/homing throws or things like attacking as a cheep-cheep.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Not for the spin/homing throws or things like attacking as a cheep-cheep.

Idk about the homing throw but for most of the motion moves you can just do a quick 360 and hit Y

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Idk about the homing throw but for most of the motion moves you can just do a quick 360 and hit Y
I honestly just switched to flicking the pro controller, because in the situations where I needed the spin to happen quickly it was just faster/more reliable to do it via motion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's fair. I don't mind the waggle when I was playing split joycon but shaking the pro controller around is dumb. Should have just made it a button

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Dragons dogma ?: magic archer or ranger as my second class?

Magick Archer is really good and fun to play as.

Yes it has worth stat growths than basically any other class in the game, but stats don't really matter since most of your damage comes from equipment.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nachos posted:

It’s easy to get hyped by a combination of platinum + yoko taro, unfortunately the former was a huge disappointment because the gameplay is bland as hell.

I was intending to start NieR:A today but even with the supposedly great story I can't really play games that are dull to actually, er, play

Maybe I'll do HZD instead, but first gonna adopt a new caaat~

(e) Otoh I was ok with the combat in BotW, I mean it wasn't brilliant but it was perfectly serviceable. Oh lord here's me overthinking things again :v:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

an actual dog posted:

There's rumors that Bethesda is not doing well but I don't really know. I hope not! I like a lot of their games.

quote:

Wolfenstein 2 came in at 14, and The Evil Within 2 was 13th, in the list of best-selling games in the U.S. last month. Forza Motorsport 7, Gran Turismo Sport, and Grand Theft Auto V all finished higher
https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/wolfenstein-2-the-new-colossus-and-the-evil-within-2-sales/

Brutal

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Continuing with the theme of NieR disappointing me, I started up the second route, and when I got control for the first time and saw who the perspective was from I was like HELL yes I am all in on this. Then a few minutes later... well there goes that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm surprised Wolfenstein didn't sell a little better, it seemed like there was a lot of hype around it

• Locked thread