Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

The Punisher show is very good.

The show feels like it takes place in a different plane of reality than The Defenders and The Iron Fist. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh jay posted:

I don't own a single one, but modern TV makes me think I really want to. Who makes a comfortable one? I don't want to go all in on a dozen itchy shirts.

i own three, but they looks lumpy in all the wrong places.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Croatoan posted:

I doubt it was specifically the punisher.

No, it's absolutely a thing, cops love Punisher and several of them wear his logo on their patrol cars. Because they want to murder "criminals" and get away with it like he does. Then there's the whole Chris Kyle connection. The argument about superheroes and fascism is a really boring one, but Punisher is in a dimension all his own on this topic. He's a vigilante who murders indiscriminately but only the bad guys but he respects the military (SEMPER FI) and the police. He's literally an executioner of the undesirables who's accountable to no one.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Guy Mann posted:

That's one more reason why Punisher War Zone owns, a lefty French woman directing a movie

she's German

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
better things season 2 is the best half-hour show of the year by far. i get why people may not wanna watch right now because of the ck connection (he co-wrote it), but it really isn't his show, adlon is the star and directed every single episode and the show is so clearly hers and hers alone and she loving rules and doesn't deserve to have this lumped in with "the work of an abuser"

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

^ It's true, Better Things just finished its amazing season. The Louis C.K. connection sucks but Pamela Adlon has created something that deserves so much celebration. I can't wait to see how she executes the next season without him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Punisher War Zone 2004 is the single greatest comic book movie that has ever been made and likely will ever be made.

"God's gonna sit this one out" :colbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

:hfive:

Though really every Punisher movie is special in its own way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GobiasIndustries posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqbIfOMxgc
This scene still fuckin rules but I can't remember anything from the rest of the movie v:shobon:v

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

This scene still fuckin rules but I can't remember anything from the rest of the movie v:shobon:v

"Both of 'em"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3eVcMdxBI

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I remember his origin is usually his wife and kids die. In this movie it's his whole Fucken family. The castle family tree is just one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I just watched Detention because of this thread.

What the gently caress was that. What the gently caress did I just watch. What.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
An excellent movie!

Adding to the love for Future Man. It’s real funny.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Guy Mann posted:

Here's a good joke for all you Punisher fans out there:

Why do cops and soldiers love The Punisher?

Because they are intellectual and moral children.
Basically its the same reason why people love Dirty Harry or Tyler Durden, they completely miss the point of the movie they are watching and what they are saying about those characters.

Likewise I don't think Marvel movies really paint the picture that the Military Industrial Complex is good, I mean most of the villains in the Iron Man and Cap movies are heads of PMCs or the military itself. There has to be suspension of disbelief when going into these stories where you have to let go ideas that vigilantism is wrong and that a couple of people could solve massive world ending problems with super science/magic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Iron Man is the biggest villain in the Marvel movie franchise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about James Rhodes/War Machine? Probably killed hundreds of civilians as a combat pilot for the American military.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Precisely why he and Mr Man are best friends. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Detention is one of the greatest films in the history of filmmaking.

Time traveling bear motherfuckers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t really begrudge anyone for hating Detention but I think it’s absolutely genius and easily one of the best and most underrated films of this decade.

Also Future Man is still killing it. “If certified door expert James Cameron were here, he would assure you that there's only room for one smallish woman.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqbIfOMxgc

This part of the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqbIfOMxgc&t=3m17s

has the best story.

The director told Kevin Nash (The Russian) to follow Thomas Jane through the hole. The hole wasn't big enough, so Nash just torn down the wall in that shot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

better things season 2 is the best half-hour show of the year by far. i get why people may not wanna watch right now because of the ck connection (he co-wrote it), but it really isn't his show, adlon is the star and directed every single episode and the show is so clearly hers and hers alone and she loving rules and doesn't deserve to have this lumped in with "the work of an abuser"

You know Future Man just took that cookie though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Future Man is good as hell but it has nothing on Better Things.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Future Man is good as hell but it has nothing on Better Things.

Don't make me watch it. I have enough to keep up with

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Future Man episode 1 was ok. Good to see Eliza Coupe back, and Awkwafina/Scheer were good. Not sure how much I care to watch yet another comedy drama thing though. We’ll see.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There isn’t any drama if that helps

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There wasn’t an awful lot of comedy either to be honest. Not like, all out laughs anyway (although the few big jokes were good). It’s fine and I’ll give it more of a shot, but at the moment seeing people I like turning up is my favorite part.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I watched the first episode (Futureman) and it seems pretty good, like a slightly more subtle Ready Player One. Not that being less subtle than that is hard.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

EL BROMANCE posted:

There wasn’t an awful lot of comedy either to be honest. Not like, all out laughs anyway (although the few big jokes were good). It’s fine and I’ll give it more of a shot, but at the moment seeing people I like turning up is my favorite part.

.....Wolf is a loving national treasure, you take that back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, Wolf gets so loving great from around episode 5 onwards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mulva posted:

.....Wolf is a loving national treasure, you take that back.

His restaurant scene was probably the biggest laugh for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Still watching Shannara. They give no fucks about killing off all the side characters.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love all the little things Tiger and Wolf keep referencing, like the "fingers" time system, ratholes, yelling out attacks while they kill people, increasingly ridiculous animal code names

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

I love all the little things Tiger and Wolf keep referencing, like the "fingers" time system, ratholes, yelling out attacks while they kill people, increasingly ridiculous animal code names

"Striking cane block!" "Crystal amber shield!" "Brain freeze!" "oval office punt!" "Table throw!"
"You're doing a great job, keep it up!"
"gently caress you! Wrist bite!... Paring knife!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HEAD SHOT

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so Lena Dunham has already walked back her terrible "my friend couldn't have raped somebody" statement. add her to the "should probably stay off Twitter forever" list.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Davros1 posted:

This part of the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqbIfOMxgc&t=3m17s

has the best story.

The director told Kevin Nash (The Russian) to follow Thomas Jane through the hole. The hole wasn't big enough, so Nash just torn down the wall in that shot.
Wasn't there also a thing where he actually got stabbed by that knife because Jane missed his target and still no sold it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

so Lena Dunham has already walked back her terrible "my friend couldn't have raped somebody" statement. add her to the "should probably stay off Twitter forever" list.

Wait, is that what loving happened? Who was she defending?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The guy being accused of rape. She doesn't believe he did it and says they have evidence that the accuser is lying. She walked it back and just said she shouldn't have commented. She still believes the guy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Wait, is that what loving happened? Who was she defending?

A writer on her show, because of course. And she was literally just saying she didn't believe the accuser because she knew the guy, not because she had, you know, any inside or additional information or anything.

quote:

“During the windfall of deeply necessary accusations over the last few months in Hollywood, we have been thrilled to see so many women’s voices heard and dark experiences in this industry justified. It’s a hugely important time of change and, like every feminist in Hollywood and beyond, we celebrate,” the two say. “But during every time of change there are also incidences of the culture, in its enthusiasm and zeal, taking down the wrong targets.

“We believe, having worked closely with him for more than half a decade, that this is the case with Murray Miller. While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story, our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3% of assault cases that are misreported every year. It is a true shame to add to that number, as outside of Hollywood women still struggle to be believed. We stand by Murray and this is all we’ll be saying about this issue.”

Mu Zeta posted:

The guy being accused of rape. She doesn't believe he did it and says they have evidence that the accuser is lying. She walked it back and just said she shouldn't have commented. She still believes the guy.

I don't think Dunham herself said she has evidence that she's lying.

e: In further "foot in mouth" news, yesterday Spike Lee thanked Bill Cosby for the money he gave to him to do Malcolm X.

precision fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She probably shouldn’t have commented but honestly when a dude’s response isn’t just the usual tepid apology or denial but instead “I have handed in a FUCKTON of evidence that proves this is false”, it might be best to wait and see how the police deal with all that evidence before mauling anyone who chooses to believe him for now.

But people love making GBS threads on Dunham so of course this would happen

• Locked thread