Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The chinese had the right idea, remove the dick of everyone in political power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Can anyone tell me how to identify the amount of activity a twitter account has over time? I'm looking for a way to diagnose bots I see in discourse there.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

saintonan posted:

There's less and less difference between the religious right and the Taliban every day. Wonder what the Christian version of the hijab will look like?

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

saintonan posted:

There's less and less difference between the religious right and the Taliban every day. Wonder what the Christian version of the hijab will look like?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Also, don’t forget

The West has had their hijab equivalent for centuries but racists can’t make the connection for some reason.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
That red is pretty bright though, those sluts are obviously looking for attention

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Sounds like someone caught wind of that Mother Jones interview

Hillary has to respond with "U sound mad. Y u mad tho?"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Could someone explain the hair-covering part to me? It seems like a common thread in these forms.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone explain the hair-covering part to me? It seems like a common thread in these forms.

Judge Frollo posted:

I hear her, I see her,
the sun caught in her raven hair
is blazing in me out of all control

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 18, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

RasperFat posted:

Also, don’t forget

The West has had their hijab equivalent for centuries but racists can’t make the connection for some reason.

Nuns are kick rear end people generally and if you get a chance to just talk with them, do it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Ladies' hair can be considered erotic, so only their husbands should ever see it. Also can't have women being too vain/having self esteem, best to just cover that poo poo up

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 18, 2017

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

What is "The Mile Pence rule"? The horse always comes first?

And emphasizing chastity devices for all men is kind of kinky, but I'd go for it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There are some cultural associations with covering one's head as a sign of humility and respect regardless of gender (yarmulkes, the big fancy hats that Hasidim wear, etc.) but yeah mostly the idea is that you're covering up something associated with womens' beauty.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Boon posted:

Nuns are kick rear end people generally and if you get a chance to just talk with them, do it.

I learned Pascal in high school in the 90's from a 90 year old nun who had earlier earned a graduate degree using punch cards. We spent 3 weeks flowcharting before we ever wrote any code.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hobnob posted:

And emphasizing chastity devices for all men is kind of kinky, but I'd go for it.

The Pence rule is never be alone in a room with a woman

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Boon posted:

There are some cool ones, but I’ve met enough nuns to say that they’re a mixed bag. Also it’s highly unfortunate that a lot of their charitable works get counterweighted by some horrific bullshit that emanates from the Catholic Church in general.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

RasperFat posted:

There are some cool ones, but I’ve met enough nuns to say that they’re a mixed bag. Also it’s highly unfortunate that a lot of their charitable works get counterweighted by some horrific bullshit that emanates from the Catholic Church in general.

Yeah. It's been rather damning to watch how much pushback Pope Francis has gotten on relatively milquetoast reformism.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

farraday posted:

I’m pretty sire there isn’t a majority in both houses for increasing the size of the SC, especially on a strictly partisan basis. People need to stop embracing one wierd trick poo poo.

Even assuming the supreme Court remains as-is, packing the lower federal courts could have a huge impact.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Boon posted:

I had a relative who was a nun, worked at JPL, and joked about being a virgin when she was 80. Pretty kick rear end.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/dcbigjohn/status/931939469133012993

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Crow Jane posted:

Ladies' hair can be considered erotic, so only their husbands should ever see it. Also can't have women being too vain/having self esteem, best to just cover that poo poo up

Adding to this, I remember from a course that Paul the Apostle said a woman's hair should be covered in the early Christian churches. The explanation was that it was to deflect accusations of early Christians having orgies and a way to convert more people who might have taken their sexual views from Roman culture.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

mango sentinel posted:

The Pence rule is never be alone in a room with a woman

What if its a man in a room with 2 women?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Haha. The Mooch is much more likely to land a Fox News gig after ten days in the WH than Spicer ever will.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I used to hang with some Hassidic Jews back when I was trying to connect with my heritage and you couldn’t even shake a woman’s hand, they had to cover their hair, and had to sit in their own section during prayer services.

I didn’t agree with any of it and I’m glad that the few female friends I made during that time dropped out after they did some soul searching.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

All those tips are just code for "It's your fault if you get assaulted, you can't expect a man to control himself."

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Uglycat posted:

I learned Pascal in high school in the 90's from a 90 year old nun who had earlier earned a graduate degree using punch cards. We spent 3 weeks flowcharting before we ever wrote any code.

This is the correct way to teach people comp-sci, btw. Was true 35 years ago, is true now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yes! Yes! Make it all seem pointless so no one is willing to join!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Koalas March posted:

All those tips are just code for "It's your fault if you get assaulted, you can't expect a man to control himself."

If the man is the uncontrollable animal, shouldn't he be the one to wear the leashes? It sounds like they want to go back even further to the Greco-roman model where it was the woman who was uncontrollable and emotional while the man was supposed to be absolutely rational.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Crabtree posted:

It sounds like they want to go back even further to the Greco-roman model where it was the woman who was uncontrollable and emotional while the man was supposed to be absolutely rational.
I'm sorry to say that attitude never really went out of style, friend

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Papercut posted:

Even assuming the supreme Court remains as-is, packing the lower federal courts could have a huge impact.

Assuming you mean packing as in creating new federal judgeships those are also set by law and the Congress has been incredibly resistant to letting it happen.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

If the man is the uncontrollable animal, shouldn't he be the one to wear the leashes? It sounds like they want to go back even further to the Greco-roman model where it was the woman who was uncontrollable and emotional while the man was supposed to be absolutely rational.

'Well yeah, but I'm the man'

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

Also in the Middle East you have to cover your head and face or you will become burnt or dead. So middle eastern religions turned practical fashion tips into social rules then into abstract control systems.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Haha. The Mooch is much more likely to land a Fox News gig after ten days in the WH than Spicer ever will.

Spicey’s stint as press secretary should leave him vilified for the rest of his life. He obviously and publicly sold out American values for a quick buck, and helped enable one of the worst and most divisive people in American history, and that’s a pretty high bar of assholery to clear.

It was rage inducing that he was trotted out for joke at the Emmys (I think, maybe a different awards thing), and was given credence by Harvard to give lectures full of stupid to our supposedly top tier students. The way he straight up lied to the American people and helped normalize this proto-fascist administration should be black stains that prevent him from being given public honors or respect, ever. He’s a shitheel and should be publicly (metaphorically) tarred and feathered as a warning to people that might think it’s worth their careers and legacy to professionally defend Cheeto Benito.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/931945995012792320

Oh no and just when Jared was so close to Middle East peace.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hobnob posted:

Never be alone with any women you don't call "mother"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also in the Middle East you have to cover your head and face or you will become burnt or dead. So middle eastern religions turned practical fashion tips into social rules then into abstract control systems.

Real talk, I think a lot of head coverings are stunningly gorgeous, and if women want to wear them they should by all means go for it. It's being told what to wear that's the problem

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Crow Jane posted:

I'm sorry to say that attitude never really went out of style, friend

Contrast the epic of Gilgamesh with sir Gawain and the green Knight

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

RasperFat posted:

Spicey’s stint as press secretary should leave him vilified for the rest of his life. He obviously and publicly sold out American values for a quick buck, and helped enable one of the worst and most divisive people in American history, and that’s a pretty high bar of assholery to clear.

It was rage inducing that he was trotted out for joke at the Emmys (I think, maybe a different awards thing), and was given credence by Harvard to give lectures full of stupid to our supposedly top tier students. The way he straight up lied to the American people and helped normalize this proto-fascist administration should be black stains that prevent him from being given public honors or respect, ever. He’s a shitheel and should be publicly (metaphorically) tarred and feathered as a warning to people that might think it’s worth their careers and legacy to professionally defend Cheeto Benito.

The elites will still blow him and grant him prestige "for his service to America" under neoliberal meritocratic belief that the best rise to top. Give it time.

How about a Fox News gig? Or, he can be a Sinclair regular on "local" TV.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/931945995012792320

Oh no and just when Jared was so close to Middle East peace.

No joke, isn’t he partially responsible for things flaring up over there? Did his attitude coming in towards peace talks and the implications of having the super rich son-in-law of POTUS, who doesn’t appear to give a poo poo about human rights, embolden this sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Never be alone with any women you don't call "mother"

so if I call every woman 'mother' I'm good?

• Locked thread