Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Seymour doing his best Cuthbert impression. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Come on Scotland, do it for Doddie.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'll die before a try.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am happy to be proven wrong and bad.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Scotland making it interesting at least. Though we are now entering the last 20 mins aka “the next gear phase” for NZ.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The most casual of tries.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

:toxx: If Scotland win, I'll change my avatar to one of a Scottish poster's choice. First in, first served.

Genuinely relieved at the moment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why do the All Blacks have such a problem with Scotland?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Why do the All Blacks have such a problem with Scotland?

Scottish rugby is on something of an upswing lately, they're playing better. New Zealand have looked comfortably like they're going to win in the second half but Scotland not giving up without a fight.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

What a finish. Great effort by the Scots.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Proud of that. loving hell good game.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That was a fun game. New Zealand are so good at converting even their half chances.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

butros posted:

What a finish. Great effort by the Scots.

Yeah that was an awesome game. Great finish. Have to feel for the Scots but they needed a try out of that time on the 5m line, though a team yellow card should have been at least threatened to NZ.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'm not looking forward to England v Scotland at Murrayfield next year...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Really great game. Injuries hurt Scotland but they pulled together well. Townsend has made a tremendous difference to the team in terms of pulling together and scoring.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 18, 2017

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Glad I watched that after suffering through almost all of the Wales game (turned off at 78 minutes as I'd simply had enough).

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
That was the most glorious of glorious defeats. I can't even be mad, especially when Keiran Read's doing his "ah jeez, rugby eh" thing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The All Blacks continue to confirm their status as the cackling supervillains of test rugby. Had Hogg's pass stuck, that would've been pandemonium at Murrayfield, but he ended up fluffing it under pressure from Barrett.

Awesome performance from Scotland though, and would've been worthy winners.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Painkiller posted:

That was the most glorious of glorious defeats. I can't even be mad, especially when Keiran Read's doing his "ah jeez, rugby eh" thing.

They played good but gently caress glorious defeats. You’ve got to win those games

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Today's ratings:

Wales: very bad
England: quite bad
Scotland: quite good
Australia: :lol:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'd say it's a case of the Scots playing to the level they're capable of, and only occasionally do. Vern Cotter oversaw an upswing in their overall performances, and it's good to see Townsend is maintaining that trend.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
A gallant 5 point loss is about as Scottish as it gets.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

The All Blacks continue to confirm their status as the cackling supervillains of test rugby. Had Hogg's pass stuck, that would've been pandemonium at Murrayfield, but he ended up fluffing it under pressure from Barrett.

Awesome performance from Scotland though, and would've been worthy winners.

In fairness to Hoggy, the support runner was well covered. Probably needed to just go down and recycle it.

Smorgasbord posted:

A gallant 5 point loss is about as Scottish as it gets.

True

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I'd say it's a case of the Scots playing to the level they're capable of, and only occasionally do. Vern Cotter oversaw an upswing in their overall performances, and it's good to see Townsend is maintaining that trend.

Hopefully Townsend will continue to keep that performance going, rather than it being a one off occasion. He'll expect alot and won't accept poor performances. Could possibly see alot of chop and change in player choice in the future.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Other stuff I noticed about Scotland is that Marfo looks like a great find for suppoed fifth choice Loose Head. And Huw Jones genuinely looks like a posh, English version of Brian O’Driscoll

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Marfo has been a huge surprise. He apparently sent the Edinburgh DOR a letter saying "I hear you're short of looseheads, want to take a punt?" got a job and a few months later was capped for Scotland.

e: Looks like Finn Russell is off to France next year when his contract expires. Can't really blame him though I hope French rugby doesn't ruin him like it does a lot of players.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 20, 2017

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Any other neutrals thinking all of those try/no try calls in England v Australia were spot on?

edit: also the yellow cards

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Smorgasbord posted:

Any other neutrals thinking all of those try/no try calls in England v Australia were spot on?

At the time they seemed fine - but I feel I should take another look online since Cheika is bleating about it all so much.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I agree with the no try call. Hooper was miles offside.

The Elliot Daly try call, I still have some questions about, as it definitely looked like the ball touched the line. That said, the Wallabies also lacked the nous to play to the whistle, which is especially unforgivable considering it was Kurtley Beale, who has been around for a while.

Koroibete's try, there's probably some room to grumble, but I've seen something like that get penalised for obstruction (Moore being ahead of the "try scorer"). Besides, I don't think he'd grounded it anyway, so I doubt it would've withstood TMO scrutiny.

edit: absolutely no problem with the yellow cards either.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 20, 2017

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

At the time they seemed fine - but I feel I should take another look online since Cheika is bleating about it all so much.

I like how he alternated between saying ‘No excuses culture’ and then whingeing about it anyway. But I also feel bad for Aus because that game was so weird, even if the specific calls were all defensible.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I'd feel bad but after the RWC quarter final debacle he said something like "The referee's decision is final and that's the way it goes." So he can eat a big ol' bag of dicks while he sulks.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Haha Cheiks under investigation for being a thin skinned crybaby

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/20/michael-cheika-investigation-world-rugby-england-australia

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Cheika comes across simultaneously as a whiny crybaby but also an aggressive rear end in a top hat one brain synapse away from taking a swing at whoever crosses him. Thoroughly unpleasant character.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Smorgasbord posted:

I'm not neutral, but they seemed OK to me. The Daly try was given because the ref asked the TMO if there was conclusive evidence to not give it, which there wasn't because even with slo-mo and zoom it's impossible to tell if the ball brushed a white blade of grass or not.

e: I don't know if it's specifically Cheika's influence but the Australians' discipline was terrible all game, they kept mouthing off to the ref whenever he made a decision against them.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 20, 2017

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Wales doing their damnedest to set up the "we were all injured" excuse for when they get pumped by the All Blacks. Liam Williams and Cuthbert gone now.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Edinburgh sign John Barclay and a second tier NZ fly half who will probably win some Scotland caps in a few years.

England are likely to start three fly halves against Samoa, with lozowski and slade in the centres

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

Marfo has been a huge surprise. He apparently sent the Edinburgh DOR a letter saying "I hear you're short of looseheads, want to take a punt?" got a job and a few months later was capped for Scotland.

e: Looks like Finn Russell is off to France next year when his contract expires. Can't really blame him though I hope French rugby doesn't ruin him like it does a lot of players.

Not surprised but I do think it's a wrong choice because of what you said. He needs game time all the time and I can't see Racing giving him that.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

WMain00 posted:

Not surprised but I do think it's a wrong choice because of what you said. He needs game time all the time and I can't see Racing giving him that.

I hope it works out because Scotland are hosed if Russell gets hurt or loses form

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

All of Racing's five-eights are passed it decrepit old farts, or Pat Lambie? I'm sure Russell will get plenty game time.

This also frees up space at Glasgow for Hastings and Henderson to hopefully develop, and create some depth for the national side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tales, Carter and Dambielle are all 32+, and Carter's deal is up soon anyway (and he's indicated he wants to return back to New Zealand).

Lambie may spend a fair bit of time at fullback as well, which would open up the 10 jersey for Russell.