Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

it's been said before but if Henry doesn't go to a Minor Threat or Black Flag show in DC at some point then just smh

We're far enough in the timeline now that he could be seeing like, Rites of Spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Henchman of Santa posted:

We're far enough in the timeline now that he could be seeing like, Rites of Spring.
Careful, don't have him unrealistically ahead of the curve. In Stranger Things, my favorite show, an American character in November 1983 referenced The Smiths, one of my favorite bands - a band which he could not possibly have been aware of. It nearly ruined not only the show, not only television, but all forms of entertainment now and forever to me. Gotta be careful with these things.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Where does Phillip get his pot from, that he smokes with his agents?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dennis McClaren posted:

Where does Phillip get his pot from, that he smokes with his agents?

Afghanistan :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Awww yeah dat Afghani Kush

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Turns out the Americans were just trying to breed the dankest weed!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Who does he pick up his Afghani Kush from? The girl that runs the telephones maybe...

I'm on the 2nd to last episode of Season 4. My thoughts about Paige being useless and annoying have changed a little. I guess she realizes the consequences of having been a twat - but I'm sure she will still cause all this to fall apart.

If I had a neighbor like Stan showing up all the time stealing my beer and eating all my food I would get a little tired of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They live in DC. In DC, buying weed is literally as simple as going to a park and looking for the guy with dreds selling weed. Of which there are dozens. Especially in the 80s/90s. It's like NYC in that way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I could have sworn there was a scene where Gabriel gave him some weed, but I might have dreamt it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

precision posted:

They live in DC. In DC, buying weed is literally as simple as going to a park and looking for the guy with dreds selling weed. Of which there are dozens. Especially in the 80s/90s. It's like NYC in that way.

once, i found a pack of cigs sitting on a wmata bus bench and inside was like, a surprising amount of weed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

maskenfreiheit posted:

once, i found a pack of cigs sitting on a wmata bus bench and inside was like, a surprising amount of weed

That was a trap. Have fun in jail.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

That was a trap. Have fun in jail.

Actually, that cigarette pack resulted in maskenfreiheit getting recruited by the KGB.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

dwarf74 posted:

I could have sworn there was a scene where Gabriel gave him some weed, but I might have dreamt it.
either we're sharing dreams, or that did happen.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I've been watching the middle of Season 5 when they're investigating the Famine bugs and Liz is dating the scientist. Phillip called her out by saying "oh you really like him". She re-buffed him and gave her whole spiel about how he wants to starve a whole country and she has to listen to his poo poo...

But then in the following ep. when he cooks her the exotic meal from Egypt and starts laying pipe in his new age bachelor pad, she looked - pleased? happy? I think she actually really liked the guy. Like she wanted to gently caress him because he was the total package and all that.

So was she lying to Phillip when she said she didn't dig him? Or by the time she was sitting in his kitchen listening to him self-promote, was she already attracted to him then?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A bit of both, I think. She didn't start out liking him, but in the end could see he was a good man and I'm sure it was a relief to find out he wasn't making a crop killer.

Plus she was probably still salty over Martha. I could easily see it as her lying to Phil, though I think she was mostly telling the truth at that point.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I think I interpreted it as she liked him, didn't want to, and didn't want to flout it in Phillip's face.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I like that reading best tbh. Even after the Martha stuff I think she loves Phil too much to hurt him-- especially the way he hurt her.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I like that reading best tbh. Even after the Martha stuff I think she loves Phil too much to hurt him-- especially the way he hurt her.

P&E have come a long way from the first episode. And it's all been believable and organic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It still pains me to think GoT has won writing emmys over this show. And for the not great GoT seasons.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

esperterra posted:

It still pains me to think GoT has won writing emmys over this show. And for the not great GoT seasons.

HBO probably sent out better goody bags

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc when the Battle of the Bastards episode (which was mostly a setpiece and directorial feat and not writing) won over Americans it was the first year for the new Emmy rules where a show's entire crew can now vote, or whatever.

Considering GoT probably has the biggest production crew of any other show on tv ....

gently caress I can't wait for GoT to end.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

esperterra posted:

gently caress I can't wait for GoT to end.
Same here, just so I can binge the whole thing and get the complete story. I never even finished Season One on my first attempt.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Finished season 5.

I thought it was pretty good. I really liked how much they focused on Russia this season. I also appreciate the tying up of loose ends they’re already to do. This show has been strong throughout and it deserves a well planned and graceful ending.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They released the title of the first episode of season six
Dead Hand

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Finished season 5.

I thought it was pretty good. I really liked how much they focused on Russia this season. I also appreciate the tying up of loose ends they’re already to do. This show has been strong throughout and it deserves a well planned and graceful ending.

Poor Oleg. Some people complained but I thought having the corruption side plot was cool. Liked it more than the main plot actually.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the expanded focus on Russia this past season was great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

They released the title of the first episode of season six
Dead Hand

More bioweapon stuff? https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Hand-Un...L40_&dpSrc=srch

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Poor Oleg. Some people complained but I thought having the corruption side plot was cool. Liked it more than the main plot actually.

I kind of agree to the extent that I think it was good and there wasn't anything super gripping going on in the main plot that it was taking time away from (I thought the show in general was treading water for a lot of the season), but it still felt weird for the show to create a major disconnected side plot this late in the series. Maybe it'll connect back again next season and everything from last season will pay off when viewed as part of a giant concluding arc, but as an individual season I think it was kind of dull.

There was a season of Mad Men that felt like this for me too, so I think there just comes a time when even great shows start feeling repetitive and tired, and need the momentum of wrapping things up to get back on track. Maybe knowing ahead of time that they had two seasons to fill wasn't a good thing. The penultimate season of The Shield felt this way too, and that show's ending was probably its best part, so I'm hoping for something like that here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oleg was fantastic and his plot was deffo the best part of S5 for me. I hope that guy gets a lot of work in the future. He should be a Bond villain, or maybe Bond's BFF who works on the "other side".

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I’m not only ok with the show taking side trips seemingly just for the sake of showing more situations and slices of life from the time, i think it’s one of the things that makes the show great. Like Mischa; even if that never amounts to anything (which would disappoint for sure) the story of his illegal border crossing and the intense portrayal of his vulnerability and fear throughout were great in their own right. That was a reality a lot of people lived, and the show is richer for it.

It also leaves uncertainty about resolution; there’s way too many B plots for them all to tie off nicely, which leaves the show’s outcome wide open. For example, Sons Of Anarchy tied up practically every single loose end in the show, which while satisfying, made the last two or three episodes feel like a foregone conclusion.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I’m not only ok with the show taking side trips seemingly just for the sake of showing more situations and slices of life from the time, i think it’s one of the things that makes the show great. Like Mischa; even if that never amounts to anything (which would disappoint for sure) the story of his illegal border crossing and the intense portrayal of his vulnerability and fear throughout were great in their own right. That was a reality a lot of people lived, and the show is richer for it.

It also leaves uncertainty about resolution; there’s way too many B plots for them all to tie off nicely, which leaves the show’s outcome wide open. For example, Sons Of Anarchy tied up practically every single loose end in the show, which while satisfying, made the last two or three episodes feel like a foregone conclusion.

Agreed. I *like* it when media doesn't have nicely tied up, Hollywood endings, freeze frame on everybody laughing. It's also thematically appropriate for both the Cold War, and the Soviet Union at the time; Mischa goes through all this trouble, effort, pain, heartache, and it's simply thrown away by a bureaucrat because it's inconvenient. Same with Nina's Adventures in the Gulag; she failed in her appointed role, so she's simply cast in a new role by the uncaring bureaucracy, who don't particularly care if she wants to, or even can; if she performs, she's rewarded, if she doesn't, she's cast aside and no loss to the State. They'll just try with somebody else, or try something else, whatever.

That said, I don't doubt that Mischa will wind up being a Chekov's Son of sorts. I'm really looking forward to the final season.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Mischa and Oleg are going to team up and solve mysteries.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Agreed. I *like* it when media doesn't have nicely tied up, Hollywood endings, freeze frame on everybody laughing. It's also thematically appropriate for both the Cold War, and the Soviet Union at the time; Mischa goes through all this trouble, effort, pain, heartache, and it's simply thrown away by a bureaucrat because it's inconvenient. Same with Nina's Adventures in the Gulag; she failed in her appointed role, so she's simply cast in a new role by the uncaring bureaucracy, who don't particularly care if she wants to, or even can; if she performs, she's rewarded, if she doesn't, she's cast aside and no loss to the State. They'll just try with somebody else, or try something else, whatever.

That said, I don't doubt that Mischa will wind up being a Chekov's Son of sorts. I'm really looking forward to the final season.

Nina was actually a traitor, so she wasn't really just some cog caught in the machinery of state. Mischa was actively endangering a major undercover operation too, to be fair, which goes a bit beyond being inconvenient.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Nina was actually a traitor, so she wasn't really just some cog caught in the machinery of state. Mischa was actively endangering a major undercover operation too, to be fair, which goes a bit beyond being inconvenient.
They're all cogs. When she no longer fit her assigned location, they simply assigned her a new location/job; state prostitute. When she failed at that job, she was disposed of like trash. Mischa was actively endangering an operation, sure, but the State had no problem flying Elizabeth and Paige all the way to the DDR to visit family; they could have made Mischa work if they'd wanted to. "Oh yeah, we're hosting a foreign exchange student." Something.

On the other hand, you've got Oleg; he's nomenklatura, so in the glorious workers paradise, where all are equal and all serve the State, the KGB needs to get his permission to follow up on treason charges against him, where Nina just gets a bullet.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

Mischa was actively endangering an operation, sure, but the State had no problem flying Elizabeth and Paige all the way to the DDR to visit family; they could have made Mischa work if they'd wanted to. "Oh yeah, we're hosting a foreign exchange student." Something.

Mischa would need some polishing up to avoid setting off Stan's spider sense though and he would dig. I suppose that could be part of the plot/tension, but I could not see 'The Center' risking that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Expired Vitamin posted:

Mischa would need some polishing up to avoid setting off Stan's spider sense though and he would dig. I suppose that could be part of the plot/tension, but I could not see 'The Center' risking that.

So they set him up three states away and Philip gets to go visit him once a month.

No, iirc, it wasn’t just the practical issues, it was not wanting Philip distracted.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

No, iirc, it wasn’t just the practical issues, it was not wanting Philip distracted.

I agree with that too. They have cast him as the shakey one from the start and, before he left, Gabriel said that once the center starts to worry they never stop. The practical considerations are pretty significant too though. They would have to commit fairly significant resources to managing him three states away or whatever since he was not culturally inoculated for exposure to the west.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Expired Vitamin posted:

I agree with that too. They have cast him as the shakey one from the start and, before he left, Gabriel said that once the center starts to worry they never stop. The practical considerations are pretty significant too though. They would have to commit fairly significant resources to managing him three states away or whatever since he was not culturally inoculated for exposure to the west.

And they would absolutely do that, if they thought the net benefit would outweigh the cost. They don't think the benefit would outweigh the cost, so they simply disappear Mischa. If it wasn't for the fact that Philip would eventually find out, and possibly the direct intercession of Gabriel, they'd probably have just had Mishca have an 'accident' and been done with it.

Remember, this is the organization that had an 'aunt' or 'grandmother' or whatever it was, in place, with fully furnished house and legend, on the off chance one of the kids got curious.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Big thread bump to dump feelings and throw my opinions into the pot way too late:

Watched season as it aired for the first 6 episodes, got bored, finally came back to it over the last month.

• Season was boring and also super good. A lot of my favorite shows (Justified, The Shield, etc) had a slow burning penultimate season to set things up for an amazing finale. I'm 100% confident this will be no different. poo poo has to hit the fan in season 6, and I'm legit scared because I'm so sensitive to the nuances of all these characters and plot lines now.
  • Hole digging scene was brilliant, loved it when it aired. Poor British kid who had a crush on Elizabeth :(
  • The virus they sent back for "defense" getting used in Afghanistan the same way the US used chemical weapons against the Vietnamese :( Makes the Tuan situation ironic.
  • Tuan calling their concern over an innocent teenager's life "petite bourgeoisie" owned.
  • The Paige stuff was good. Goons saying otherwise are probably just pulling a Skyler 2.0. Actress is super good but I also realized she's in her twenties so her performance is less impressive to me now. I think Paige is the opposite of an annoying kid character, she has emotional insights and self-awareness that are totally unrealistic for her age, no matter how crazy of a year she's had. That's actually my biggest issue, I just can't believe her dialogue coming from a teenager.
  • Paige making P+E read about how Pastor Tim thought they were abusing her, in front of her, ruled.
  • Both Stan and the Jennings getting sucked back in to poo poo they hate by too-good-to-be-true developments is funny.
  • I loved the wink the writers gave us with Stan's (maybe) KGB girlfriend telling him not to quit. I love that an entire plotline hinges on how Stan is too big of a dork to actually be loved. I want an emote of Stan's face styled like :smith: animated with his facial tick.
  • Oleg was alright this season. I like the actor / character, I liked how his disillusionment added to the theme of the season. But it definitely could have been cut down and clarified. I zoned out for a lot of the USSR stuff. I knew it was USSR stuff because the color temperature was super blue regardless of context. Seems like a weird historical inaccuracy to make all the grocery stores in the USSR use Phillips Hue bulbs on a weird teal setting.
  • P+E being so worried about how their kids would adapt to the USSR, while also egging an innocent kid into suicide, was hosed. They didn't go as far as Tuan, but that was basically the same direction.
  • I don't know what to take from the assassination of the woman who helped the Nazis. Sounds like she was a scared teenager who was forced to drink and kill people. Elizabeth merc'ing her innocent husband first in front of her and then killing her was just cold and unnecessary. I guess that's a point against the show, when poo poo really does hit the fan I don't know how to wrap my head around it.
  • I loving hated that hipster food researcher idiot. So pretentious. Elizabeth getting mad about him "cheating" on her was super funny, though, especially how she (maybe somewhat truthfully) played it off as surprise that she'd misread him. I like how the show has characters embellish or draw from the truth to help with deception. I've definitely done it myself when lying about petty poo poo in relationships.
  • The last scene was great. So ballsy of the show runners to end on that note. I want a Phillip :smith: too.

Pumped for this slow-rear end show to return in a little over a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I am super hyped. I think this show will go down in tv history as one of the best shows nobody ever watched.

• Locked thread