Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

Nice opus. I wonder what Gilchrist's Freep handle is.

threerocks. Or possibly VIET NAM VET.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Me too.

Everybody is so dumb.

Nenonen posted:

Good morning, thread, what's new

:stonk:

...so of course when Guy was doing those 'Sluggo's sleepy deepy thoughts' strips I was thinking that something was wrong. Like, maybe he had cancer. Now I think cancer would have been preferable, even from Guy's point of view.

Still I feel curious and I don't think GG Nancy should be completely dropped from the thread. Is Gilchrist going to go to the deep end with his addictions as thanksgiving approaches? How long will it take for the syndicate to pull the plug? But if it causes Clarissa level feelings of anxiety for anyone then don't post it.

Anyway:

Comic Strip Megathread XVII: Drinking heavily and popping Xanax to mask depression

I feel like if it were all up to me, Modern Gilchrist Nancy should be timg'd so that those who are curious can get their hate-read in and those who don't want to see it can easily scroll past. My feeling is Classic Gilchrist Nancy should be dropped.

I fully get it if some people want to drop it entirely and don't have any argument if that happens.

Would hate to see this kind of content go away, though.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That total lack of punctuation and basic grammar really makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt!

Also Jesus Goddamn Christ he called the woman accusing him of sexual harassment "Sweetheart" how can he be that loving stupid?

For reals. I wasn't exactly filled with doubt before, but this pretty much confirms it for me. Especially the "We all know he's been drinking..." part.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haha only if she's 5'3"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That is a colossal scab, god drat.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Nekonaughey

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm away from home for a few days, so most of my regular comics are on hold until Tuesday(and 90s Nancy isn't coming back because :stonk:/:vd: Gilchrist). But you can still have some Modern Day Spiderman!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Hey everybody, I'm back from Big College and I'm glad to see everyb--

quote:

GILCHRIST

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Green Intern posted:

That is a colossal scab, god drat.

Master of the Skateboard bails.

Also, why won't Curt Connors just get a fake limb? Every time he grabs at his nub you just know poo poo is going to go sideways.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Julet Esqu posted:

The fabric print is cheese colored with toppings and the occasional visible crust so as to indicate a big pile of pizza slices. They're pretty great.

Watch out, Tara! The last person Les flirted with had to become fat as penance for consorting with a "bad" character! And now Gunther thinks he's in her league!

So I guess these lingerie parties are a regular event now? Is Pru still allowing these apparently ultra-successful events rent-free?

Hey, they're calling him Les, though!

Re: Nekonaughey- I was reading it as a pun on like, McConaughey, like Matthew, but I don't know why that would be a reference to make.

re: Gilchrist good lord you miss this thread for a few days.... :stonk:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EasyEW posted:

:siren:SAINT LISA OF CANCERWIFE :siren:
(in Funky Winkerbean)

I guess he's literally never used eBay before.

Hint: If you don't know who you're selling something to, you can't ship it to them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tunicate posted:

I guess he's literally never used eBay before.

Hint: If you don't know who you're selling something to, you can't ship it to them.

Are we... are we supposed to know who that is?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m a cynical gently caress who loves to hate read comics (only comics in this thread I actively like and look forward to are Ballard St., Heavenly Nostrils and Tina’s Groove). For the most part, I’m here for the hatin’, and if Cringechrist turns out to be an actual creep beyond his drawing board, then I want to see that garbage fire as it explodes.

That being said, all arguments against posting him now are fully legit and I won’t make a fuzz. Just my two cents.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
gently caress Gilchrist.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Selachian posted:

threerocks. Or possibly VIET NAM VET.

:drat: it's perfect.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m a cynical gently caress who loves to hate read comics (only comics in this thread I actively like and look forward to are Ballard St., Heavenly Nostrils and Tina’s Groove). For the most part, I’m here for the hatin’, and if Cringechrist turns out to be an actual creep beyond his drawing board, then I want to see that garbage fire as it explodes.

That being said, all arguments against posting him now are fully legit and I won’t make a fuzz. Just my two cents.

It's very unlikely that the progression of this scandal will play out in the Nancy comic strip itself.

...is what I would normally say, but given how bad he seems to have been at keeping his mental state out of the comics up to now, who knows? Probably the best we can hope for is the syndicate suddenly switching the strip to reprints without explanation within the next few days. How long are the lead times for most comics, anyway? I know Drinky Duck is two weeks, but I got the impression that was much shorter than the usual.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, it's not like he gets cash for every Nancy we post here, or indeed publicity or endorsement the way we treat it. And if you just don't want to be reminded of him now, this is gonna be the wrong thread for you anyway.

e: ^^^ they've already gone to reruns.

And man that strip about not trusting someone you wouldn't play catch with takes on another level of meaning now.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 19, 2017

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Not about to tell anyone to not post something, but the less Gilchrist I have to see the happier I'll be.

Pop Team Epic

Squirrel Nuts

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, it's not like he gets cash for every Nancy we post here, or indeed publicity or endorsement the way we treat it. And if you just don't want to be reminded of him now, this is gonna be the wrong thread for you anyway.

e: ^^^ they've already gone to reruns.

And man that strip about not trusting someone you wouldn't play catch with takes on another level of meaning now.

This, basically. I've said it before, but this thread is basically a little walled garden for newspaper comic enthusiasts, and I like that it exists and doesn't ruffle any feathers.

It's cool to me that Condo and Smythe never hit anyone in their lives, yet we love reading Everett True and Andy Capp. So, yeah, gently caress Gilchrist and his performative "hurpy-durp jaazus and cawnbread" reworking of Nancy. I would never look at someone's work, no matter how skeevy, and jump to a conclusion about their lives, but this plus that equals the usual weird and sad old story.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't think Gilchrist has ever profited from Nancy being posted here. The only exposure it gets is negative exposure, as we all become slowly more disgusted at how lovely the comic has become. There's no reason to stop just because we finally know where that shittiness is coming from.

Also, I'm almost definitely going to regret going down this hole but I don't really understand how any murder can be illegal in Kevin and Kell's Nightmare Furtopia. The lovely bat and hedgehog just murdered a million intelligent insects a few months ago. Even if it's a prey animal killing a predator, it's not like that's something that never happens in real life. Animals don't actually want to be eaten.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't know what point this comic is trying to make, but if that movie existed I'm pretty sure I would watch it.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange
But Command-Q is just "quit", not "force quit".

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell
I don't think rabbits eat wood?

Cicadalek posted:

Also, I'm almost definitely going to regret going down this hole but I don't really understand how any murder can be illegal in Kevin and Kell's Nightmare Furtopia. The lovely bat and hedgehog just murdered a million intelligent insects a few months ago. Even if it's a prey animal killing a predator, it's not like that's something that never happens in real life. Animals don't actually want to be eaten.
I think the rule is that predators can kill prey as long as they eat them. If you kill someone and don't eat them it's murder. If you kill a predator it's murder. The only exception is predators who are licensed to kill prey to sell for others to eat.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I vote for posting Gilchrist's Nancy, but making an extra effort to start reading it for secret messages. Y'know, subliminal confessions, cries for help, crap like that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cicadalek posted:

I don't think Gilchrist has ever profited from Nancy being posted here. The only exposure it gets is negative exposure, as we all become slowly more disgusted at how lovely the comic has become. There's no reason to stop just because we finally know where that shittiness is coming from.

There was a bit where rabbits had joined together to try and take down the Predator system. They were shown as being terriosts and criminals and were defeated by Kevin and family.
So, defending yourself is also illegal!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Today was a slow day at work, so I flipped through a newspaper and checked out the comics and this one stuck out to me for being... strange.

Did Blondie get weird at some point? I don't remember it being particularly weird.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

EasyEW posted:

I vote for posting Gilchrist's Nancy, but making an extra effort to start reading it for secret messages. Y'know, subliminal confessions, cries for help, crap like that.

We should start a blog, kind of like “the sons of stuck Funky” but about Beach Boys obsessed Christians.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how does him drawing nancy strips actually work? Is he employed by the estate of the original artist, the comic syndicate or what?

Im asking how do we get this piece of poo poo fired

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

TBI are definitely three letters one should be aware of when dealing with Guy Gilchrist

EDIT: jesus how did I get that far behind the thread, sorry

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Rip Gilchrist

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Could be a coincidence, but the website Gilchrist hawks in the sidebars of his comic,

http://www.nancyandsluggo.com

seems to be down at the moment.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I am really into Nekonaughey, so I'm glad I came back for that at least

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I was so het up about Gilchrist I forgot to post yesterday's comics!

The Classic Dinette Set

Working Daze

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Calaveron posted:

There’s something entirely unwholesome about a comic strip about a lady’s three cats and the ~*WACKY*~ adventures they have

The Gilchrist sitch has thrown me off to the extent that Pibgorn kinda feels wholesome now

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord posted:

Today was a slow day at work, so I flipped through a newspaper and checked out the comics and this one stuck out to me for being... strange.

Did Blondie get weird at some point? I don't remember it being particularly weird.

It's normally extremely bland in the way that all strips whose primary purpose is not to offend the olds will be. However,it's hard to write a joke every day about Bumstead liking food or being lazy (even if it doesn't have to be funny) and sometimes something weird will accidentally fall out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Angular Cyrus posted:

Squirrel Nuts

I've really grown to love this stupid-rear end squirrel, even more than Pop Team Epic.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I've gotten so good at scrolling past Mike Du Jour I honestly have no idea if it's still posted. In both cases I am very cool with never seeing any work by such lovely people ever again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Gilchrist sitch has thrown me off to the extent that Pibgorn kinda feels wholesome now

Really? I'd be shocked if Brooke McEldowney wasn't a giant creep in real life. Like, the only way he could possibly not be if he's actually a hermit and his weird comics are the product of just never interacting with another human being at all.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 10, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 27, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 23, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 23, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Barney Google (April 26, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 26, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 22, 1935)

Dickie Dare (September 4, 1933)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Bringing Up Father (January 4, 1940)

Krazy Kat (January 3, 1936)

Polly and Her Pals (January 4, 1937)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix

These are awesome. I love them.

And couldn't we just have a Nancy/Gilchrist thread on its own? Would that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

• Locked thread