Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Finished the campaign as as Hunter, felt pretty good to basically instantly get to 270 afterward. Class seems kind of eh, though.

Time to go through as a Titan I guess! (Void Lock best of the six subclasses I've played so far)
A striker titan can get two grenades!

Which he is going to need, to have a chance at killing anything a Warlock can get done in one.

Vortex Grenade: Championship edition turbo. It's what keeps bringing me back to Chaos over Devour :allears:

Unrelated QoL tricks we will never get wishlists: The Hard Light seems real fun. But I wish you could like, hold the reload button down to make it cycle to the next element type rather than having to pop open the menu. When you see a Powerful Fallen and Powerful Hive within 10 feet of eachother so soon after I got the thing, not being able to pull some sweet combo where I explode both their barriers of differing types was a mild letdown. "I'm ready to cause sweet combo stuns to anything!... Correction, I'm ready if I stop to take a trip to a menu in combat. Oh well."

But it still had bouncy lasers, so that made everything all better :buddy: And It's generally no fuss prepping it before going into a particular faction's event.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Section Z posted:

Which he is going to need, to have a chance at killing anything a Warlock can get done in one.

Vortex Grenade: Championship edition turbo. It's what keeps bringing me back to Chaos over Devour :allears:

Unrelated QoL tricks we will never get wishlists: The Hard Light seems real fun. But I wish you could like, hold the reload button down to make it cycle to the next element type rather than having to pop open the menu. When you see a Powerful Fallen and Powerful Hive within 10 feet of eachother so soon after I got the thing, not being able to pull some sweet combo where I explode both their barriers of differing types was a mild letdown. "I'm ready to cause sweet combo stuns to anything!... Correction, I'm ready if I stop to take a trip to a menu in combat. Oh well."

But it still had bouncy lasers, so that made everything all better :buddy: And It's generally no fuss prepping it before going into a particular faction's event.

The PS4 exclusive exotic does this so it will never happen, sorry dude and welcome to late stage capitalism

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The PS4 exclusive exotic does this so it will never happen, sorry dude and welcome to late stage capitalism

I will console myself that they probably need the extra help switching elements on console. :downsrim:

I, right click, left click, done. The longest part is the entire singular seconds it brings up the menus.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Section Z posted:

This is an absurd statement!

quote:

Yes! Charging up axion bolts my favorite perk of this tree.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

I will console myself that they probably need the extra help switching elements on console. :downsrim:

I, right click, left click, done. The longest part is the entire singular seconds it brings up the menus.

Actually they just get to hold the reload button to do it, it's an infinitely superior method and it's insanely dumb that Hard Light doesn't do the same.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Actually they just get to hold the reload button to do it, it's an infinitely superior method and it's insanely dumb that Hard Light doesn't do the same.
Yeah it is dumb we don't get such a basic QoL feature. But I was trying to have some pity for the guys who would have a worse time of it having to stick flick their way through a menu without such a feature :shobon:

el B posted:

This is an absurd statement!

Yes! Charging up axion bolts my favorite perk of this tree.

No joke, I love how charged up Vortex Grenade so often goes from "I'll soften up this Yellow bar rear end in a top hat and his groupies with a grenade, then finish them off with a rocket" to "Oh, uh… Guess that's sorted then :stare:"

It's particularly cathartic against yellow bar Vex Hydras who have their shields in full gently caress you position and you know, you just don't want to wait for them to expose their weakpoint, tickle their corners with an auto in the meantime, make a double jump rocket shot, etc.

No. :fuckoff: You're going to the phantom zone in a single grenade.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I love the Hard Light's ornament:

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oh goddamn, I'm going to get that. Thanks for the screenshot!

Edit: Derp, not on sale, or on sale rotation as far as I can see... will have to keep an eye out, now.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 19, 2017

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
Hardlight will never change elements with a button press because then it would be the only weapon worth using on prism nightfalls, something they were actively trying to avoid in the first place.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

And snipers suck poo poo so don't feel bad about not getting the ps4 exclusive

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Magus42 posted:

I love the Hard Light's ornament:

....How do you get this? I need that. Badly.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Kesper North posted:

....How do you get this? I need that. Badly.

Bright Engrams

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've seen people suggest using the Azimuth DSu over the Old Fashioned, is that just for PvP because it can double tap?

Because Old Fashioned with drop mag is entirely too much fun in PvE when your fireteam buddy stacks 3x chains of woe.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cvnvcnv posted:

Go to Eververse, preview the Bright Engrams. You can see everything.

Then get none of it because bright engrams are dumb.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Then get none of it because bright engrams are dumb.

It doesn't give you stuff you already have so shoving all the crap you get onto alts or into your Vault will aid in actually getting those items. Alternatively, dismantle all of it and have enough Bright Dust for when what you want is on Tess' menu. Maybe not great but there's recourse for bad rng with Brights.

One of the few things D2 got right imo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

cvnvcnv posted:

It doesn't give you stuff you already have so shoving all the crap you get onto alts or into your Vault will aid in actually getting those items. Alternatively, dismantle all of it and have enough Bright Dust for when what you want is on Tess' menu. Maybe not great but there's recourse for bad rng with Brights.

One of the few things D2 got right imo.

:negative: I still haven't gotten a single copy of bumble bee and I think the season one stuff goes away for a whole season in like two weeks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If Xenosilver goes away for 3 months I'm gonna lose my poo poo cause that's the backbone of all my Titan setups.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Hey what's a ghost? Is it like an assistant AI? Is it entirely software or a physical item inside the shell?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I don't know the lore, but they seem to be pretty much Transformers (TM) in flying drones spawned from the Traveller. Complete with personalities that go against their intended purpose, like Cayde's ghost seems like an rear end in a top hat.

Or I am confusing Cayde's ghost with Failsafe. I didn't pay attention during the campaign.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 19, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shy posted:

Hey what's a ghost? Is it like an assistant AI? Is it entirely software or a physical item inside the shell?

They seem to be robotic AI spawned by the traveler to revive corpses as loot zombies. But the beginning cinematic has it talking with a dude voice and everything so there might be more to it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

OdinsBeard posted:

Hardlight will never change elements with a button press because then it would be the only weapon worth using on prism nightfalls, something they were actively trying to avoid in the first place.

Literally doesn't even matter because loading the gun menu is instantaneous on PC even on old-fashioned HDDs unlike the consoles which the game is undoubtedly designed in mind with. You press start on PS4/Xbox it's several seconds just to show up. it's why Bungie removed ammo synths. Hard Light on PC can be changed in a second flat, so it should be changed to Borealis-style toggle anyway.

On prism, Hard Light is mandatory unless you have energy/power weapons to cover all three elements on the fly.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Literally doesn't even matter because loading the gun menu is instantaneous on PC even on old-fashioned HDDs unlike the consoles which the game is undoubtedly designed in mind with. You press start on PS4/Xbox it's several seconds just to show up. it's why Bungie removed ammo synths. Hard Light on PC can be changed in a second flat, so it should be changed to Borealis-style toggle anyway.

On prism, Hard Light is mandatory unless you have energy/power weapons to cover all three elements on the fly.

I used to have to do this by carrying solar/arc, and using grenades for void. Hard Light is so much easier.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People dramatically overthink the mechanics of this game I think. I read about people nodding their weapons on the fly to take advantage of prism...

Like you get an energy weapon, you get a heavy with a different deferent element and you try to pick elements that compliment your super, it’s not that demanding at all.

Also the people endlessly squeaking about trap skills never mention that it is only relevant for PvP and 6 shots/Moebius quiver works fine in PvE and is fun. I also use them in PvP to great effect, because if you pop golden gun but need to run around for 10 seconds to make use of it SURPRISE you popped it at the wrong time!! And I don’t really understand what’s wrong with Moby Quiv in the first place

I’m someone who gets very nerdy into game mechanics, I really like games like Nioh, but there is absolutely nothing that demanding in Destiny 2 that it requires the level of spergy min-maxing some people are going for

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

People are gunna always minmax man.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but it’s the equivalent of putting nitrous in your pine box derby race car for cubscouts

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i dont know how to casually have fun in pvp after getting a business+rig. like, i guess theres a boop shotgun that i dont have yet but how else could this get any better?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

In most nightfalls you can skip like half the trash. Pick one element class, grab an energy weapon that isn't that, and a heavy that isn't either of those and you've got it no problem.

HATECUBE posted:

i dont know how to casually have fun in pvp after getting a business+rig. like, i guess theres a boop shotgun that i dont have yet but how else could this get any better?
Having any fun in this game's PVP already puts you ahead of the crowd.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Nuebot posted:

They seem to be robotic AI spawned by the traveler to revive corpses as loot zombies. But the beginning cinematic has it talking with a dude voice and everything so there might be more to it.

They're living machines spawned from Light as the last act before the Traveler went into Rest Mode, their purpose to find and aid their boo Guardian and defend existence where the Traveler no longer can. They have their own personalities and temperaments and opinions... Ours as the player is the exact same because we are all the same character, being the Main Character, but outside that they are all unique beings. Cayde's Ghost likes him and thinks him fun, ours feels a strong emotional connection to us, and there's lore of a Ghost who was glad its Guardian was permanently killed.

CoO expands this as we've only ever heard our own Ghost speak but now there's one that has a female voice, and obviously is a light-hearted gal. As we meet more, it should become clear that they are no different from people wrt to diversity and personality.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The friend who had me buy this told me I wouldn't need to have played the first one with regards to story, and now I think I've realized that it's because nobody really has any idea what's going on

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

cvnvcnv posted:

They're living machines spawned from Light as the last act before the Traveler went into Rest Mode, their purpose to find and aid their boo Guardian and defend existence where the Traveler no longer can. They have their own personalities and temperaments and opinions... Ours as the player is the exact same because we are all the same character, being the Main Character, but outside that they are all unique beings. Cayde's Ghost likes him and thinks him fun, ours feels a strong emotional connection to us, and there's lore of a Ghost who was glad its Guardian was permanently killed.

CoO expands this as we've only ever heard our own Ghost speak but now there's one that has a female voice, and obviously is a light-hearted gal. As we meet more, it should become clear that they are no different from people wrt to diversity and personality.

Cool poo poo, thanks. I like to think that canonically we all have different ghosts at least and hope one day they'll put ghost voice packs in the eververse shop.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I can't wait for the 19.99 "Justin Roiland As Rick" Ghost voice pack

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Bleck posted:

The friend who had me buy this told me I wouldn't need to have played the first one with regards to story, and now I think I've realized that it's because nobody really has any idea what's going on

1000% true

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bleck posted:

Commentary Track Ghost.

"Ah, yes, this door! We decided early in development that this door would be hack-able."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nuebot posted:

Cool poo poo, thanks. I like to think that canonically we all have different ghosts at least and hope one day they'll put ghost voice packs in the eververse shop.

Different ghost voice packs would actually get me to pay money.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bleck posted:

"Factions? Those are like unions. gently caress unions."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bleck posted:

https://youtu.be/_2avSq-82oI

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SHAXXON-MOBIL CORP. is up and ready for PC player applications!

Friends & Family welcome, I'm especially welcoming those interested in the PVP scene.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Ghosts are little flying computers powered by Light and probably are made out of the personalities/minds of people who died before or during the Collapse (this is heavily implied by the opening monologue of D2). Ghosts search for someone who (usually, almost always) is dead, but has a spark of the Light within in them. This they use to resurrect them, and then their main job is to help their Guardian not die (permanently) and help them accomplish whatever objective they have to help the survivors of the collapse and fight off the minions of the Darkness. They're not obligated to help people, and they all have their own attitude and personality, and they aren't all obdediant servants of their guardians or the Traveler's will or whatever. They can die, refuse to help, or help their guardian be some kind of Oppressive dickhead: See the warlords of the Dark Ages.

In purely mechanical terms, they're the explanation for respawns, opening doors, and being our support guy to man the radio while we shoot all the bad mans. In the words of Eris Morn, "In it's dying breath, the Traveler released the ghosts... To open doors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The fact that everyone is making a big deal that Osiris's Ghost has a lady voice and all other Ghosts have male voices seems kind of weird

• Locked thread