Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

eonwe posted:

p sure im gonna play this again soon

what mods should i do

orv did the op and im not gonna read it to spite him

Well I did the (probably old now) mod list, so EAT IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

lol if you think you can actually ever really win over the master of mirrors

You can though. The secret trick is to solve the insanely hard puzzle (the solution to the puzzle of the master of mirrors is mirrors), realize you didn't need to solve it anyway cause the entire place is full of mirrors, realize you need an unbreakable mirror cause the cat mentioned it earlier, then realize you didn't need to find that out anyway cause Geralt will mumble to himself "gee I think this wall next to the basin looks mighty breakable".

It's just not a well implemented ending, man.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

Well I did the (probably old now) mod list, so EAT IT.

oh ill read it then

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think you guys are being way to easy on Olgierd . He willingly sold his soul to the devil, he was not coerced in any way shape or form. He spent how long creating summoning circles and trying to summon otherworldly power. He's not an innocent who got tricked into this, he was seeking out the devil. Secondly just because he lacks a conscience doesn't mean he has to be an immoral person. There are many Sociopathic people in this world who lead completely normal lives. You say that he regrets what he's done and can change, but despite his words in no way do his actions show this. Before his contract he took pleasure in raping, stealing, and murdering. And then when you first meet him he's leading a gang of people who...rape, murder, and steal. You don't need a conscience to tell you that that isn't the kind of company you should keep if you're looking to atone for your sins. Indeed his first action in the game is to set you up to kill an innocent man that he has transformed, and who he likely knew had men coming to return him to his original form. His first action is to send you off to die, not the actions of someone who deserves forgiveness.

I had like three paragraphs here comparing Ole and Goethe's Faust here but typing it just made me want to reread it and it honestly doesn't change my actual conclusions it just solidify's my reasoning so it got cut.

The second point that I'll disagree with you guys on is that you're making the mistake of putting Geralt into the shoes of the Arbitrator of what's right and wrong. Geralt isn't damning Ole by not interceding, Ole already sold his soul for his wishes and those wishes were granted it follows that Gaunter would get his soul. A simple transaction. By interceding to save him you're saying that Geralt has the authority to determine who lives and who dies. From where does he derive this authority? He's not a judge, a king, or a representative of god. When Faust dies an entire heavenly host descends to carry his immortal parts to heaven. Clearly the same doesn't happen for Ole. The only thing stopping Gaunter from taking his soul is Geralt, and the only reason Geralt can stop him is that he's incredibly powerful. By saving Ole you're implicitly tying authority to power. And if you can claim that because Geralt is powerful he has a right to determine the fates of those around him, and be morally right in doing so then it follows that people more powerful then him also have that right. Was Henselt right to rape Ves and murder the blue stripes, was The emperor right to invade the north and cause untold suffering over and over merely to increase the size of his demesne, And was Radovid right to begin his pogroms against magic users and non humans? If the only way we can determine moral authority is by the level of power that the person making the judgements has then all of these horrible things that these people have done was in fact justifiable. Geralt is not making a statement by letting Gaunter take Ole's soul he's merely letting events lead to their natural conclusion. By interceding he's putting himself in a position of authority over life and death entirely based on his Martial abilities, and in fact implicitly endorsing a might makes right mentality, that's logical conclusion results in arbitrary judgment and widespread misery for the weakest and poorest of the world.

In conclusion not only is Ole not worth saving, Geralt has no authority to do so.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The scene when Geralt, Gaunter, and Olgierd come together for the finale is an absolute mastercraft though.

e: ^^ dude all three of his wishes are for the benefit of others. That's what you are supposed to realise over the course of the expansion, Olgierd puts on a show of callousness but deep down he's wracked with guilt and remorse. Also the theme behind each wish is 'saving people presumed impossible to save', if you didn't get the hint by the finale then that's your loss.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 18, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The scene when Geralt, Gaunter, and Olgierd come together for the finale is an absolute mastercraft though.

e: ^^ dude all three of his wishes are for the benefit of others. That's what you are supposed to realise over the course of the expansion, Olgierd puts on a show of callousness but deep down he's wracked with guilt and remorse. Also the theme behind each wish is 'saving people presumed impossible to save', if you didn't get the hint by the finale then that's your loss.

Perhaps if he hadn't destroyed their lives and sold his soul he might deserve some sympathy. Wishing that you hadn't done something isn't the same as making amends Ole did nothing for any of those people and he continually brings more misery to the general populace.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

By interceding to save him you're saying that Geralt has the authority to determine who lives and who dies.

Your second point immediately takes itself apart because you said that. No, we aren't saying poo poo, we're simply stopping some guy from having his soul taken by the pretty much literal Devil. And Geralt doesn't get to decide over life and death because he's powerful if you pick that option, he's putting his own drat soul on the line because he's compassionate.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
Yeah but if you save Olgierd you can get a cool sword.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah olgierd is an rear end in a top hat who tried to :smuggo: the prince of loving lies, he gets everything he deserves.

or at least he does until you realise you need to save him to get a sweet sword and reload

:argh: ^

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

In conclusion not only is Ole not worth saving, Geralt has no authority to do so.

You have interesting points but Im not convinced of your premises or your conclusion. Authority in this world does come from power. What defines you is how you use that power. That's the point. Geralt is powerful and had the ability to stop Gaunter. More than banish him temporarily, he can dissolve a contract.

So Geralt had the power to stop Gaunter and will if he tries. In essence if you do nothing you are the one condemning Olgierd. You cannot be neutral.

The real test is how you choose to use your power. Will you mete out justice or mercy? Saving Olgierd sets you apart from the Radovids and the Emhyrs.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also, the beginning of Olgierd's occult research that we see is him trying to get out of the deal. My impression of the way it went is that Gaunter approached him in a time of need like he did Geralt, and manipulated the deal out of him. And then Olgierd, regretting his decision, spent all that time immersed in occult dealings attempting to find some way to get out of the deal he made, all the while losing his ability to care about things until he reached the state that you see him in for the last few Iris memories.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

yes, i agree. when comparing a bandit and the Literal Devil, siding with the Literal Devil is the correct option

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

eonwe posted:

p sure im gonna play this again soon

what mods should i do

orv did the op and im not gonna read it to spite him

If you're doing NG+ I recommend Ghost Mode mod. It's an "overhaul" but really only tweaks gameplay. More importantly, it allows you to fine-tune combat difficulty and leveling/experience. Do you want to have everything scale to your current level so you can go to Skellige or Toussaint right out of White Orchard? Cool! That's fine. It doesn't much change the base gameplay, it's about 90% the same with balance tweaks and a lot of customizability.

I, uh, don't recommend W3: Enhanced Edition mod, though. It's a true overhaul mod which completely changes stats and gameplay. It's worth checking out for like a third playthrough but you'll have to re-learn everything and it's a super hardcore makeover so it's very difficult and very different than the base game.

Ghost Mode mod is great for more challenge and customization while preserving the same general gameplay flow.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The final choice of HoS keeps coming up but I wish I could follow up with Philippa after killing Mad Rad because his political emasculation at her hands during the regency is entirely to blame for the death of dozens of mages and Rad being completely loving Mad.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Ghost Mode mod is great for more challenge and customization while preserving the same general gameplay flow.

I second this, Ghost Mode tweaks all aspects of gameplay and really improves the game all around. It preserves the vanilla feeling, doesn't make TW3 a different game at all, but now loot is far better and you get a sense of reward when you find a good loot chest, skills are balanced and fixed to work correctly, signs are not OP anymore but rewarding if you invest in them, the combat is far better.

Here's a list of mods to go with Ghost Mode that I put together for my first complete run of the game and DLCs: Ghost Mode Mod List. This focuses on quality of life improvements, no texture overhauls or weather mods in there. The base game is already very pretty.

Be sure to read the README before starting. The changes are often small but important. For example, you need to use heavy attacks to get through armor or have a sword with high armor penetration. Fast attacks against a gargoyle will not do much damage for eg.

Ghost Mode is better in NG though, it's not extensively balanced for NG+. DM is very hard in GM - BBB difficulty is more challenging than vanilla DM mode, but fair. I suggest starting there.

Long effort post on Ghost Mode and some starting advice: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&userid=186246#post475989845

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
It has nothing to do with Olgierd, an rear end in a top hat in a world full of them. It has everything to do with that other fucker scarred me, that was the split second I decided to stick a sword up his dick hole the first chance we got.

I feel like I'm the only one really bothered by being branded like cattle. All the arguments are 'but olgierd this and gaunter that'. THE FUCKER BRANDED YOUR FACE. He needs to be de-stroyed. Good for Olgierd for benefiting but it was never about him, for me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the brand looked cool as hell tho

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Alchenar posted:

e: ^^ dude all three of his wishes are for the benefit of others..

They're really not though.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
You don't get any good person points for helping your brother and your wife anyway. I'd probably do a number of things that would make me a bad person just to do them if my brother needed me to do them badly enough.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hmm, I am playing through the quest in which Geralt investigates a treasure heist from a bath house in Novigrad. I was investigating a dude's house when the fat man and Triss showed up. My next step is to meet Triss at midnight. I left the house, Triss appeared in front of me in a swirl of flames, I talked to her, my screen went blank and the loading thing appeared in the lower right and nothing will load. WTF just happened? This game seems destined to not work for me!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hate the lodge of sorceress, all the political gently caress ups are because they are looking for the perfect king

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

I think you guys are being way to easy on Olgierd . He willingly sold his soul to the devil, he was not coerced in any way shape or form. He spent how long creating summoning circles and trying to summon otherworldly power.

I stopped reading this post right here, because you clearly completely missed a large pay of the story.

Tarezax posted:

Also, the beginning of Olgierd's occult research that we see is him trying to get out of the deal. My impression of the way it went is that Gaunter approached him in a time of need like he did Geralt, and manipulated the deal out of him. And then Olgierd, regretting his decision, spent all that time immersed in occult dealings attempting to find some way to get out of the deal he made, all the while losing his ability to care about things until he reached the state that you see him in for the last few Iris memories.

This is why. Gaunter played Olgierd, the guy was drunk at a bar lamenting the shithole his life had dived into when Gaunter showed up and was like, "what if I told you..." and since he was drunk and this dude was promising the moon, he didn't take it seriously until Gaunter proved he actually had some power. Then Olgierd ignored his better judgment and took the guy up on the offer, because he was so miserable.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

You can though. The secret trick is to solve the insanely hard puzzle (the solution to the puzzle of the master of mirrors is mirrors), realize you didn't need to solve it anyway cause the entire place is full of mirrors, realize you need an unbreakable mirror cause the cat mentioned it earlier, then realize you didn't need to find that out anyway cause Geralt will mumble to himself "gee I think this wall next to the basin looks mighty breakable".

It's just not a well implemented ending, man.

LOL at you not solving the riddle. The answer isn't a mirror, it's a reflection.

Also, it's true that it's just a small and temporary victory against a godlike being, but that's all the more reason to do it. Fucker needs to get taken down a peg.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

LupusAter posted:

LOL at you not solving the riddle. The answer isn't a mirror, it's a reflection.

Also, it's true that it's just a small and temporary victory against a godlike being, but that's all the more reason to do it. Fucker needs to get taken down a peg.

Whatever man, it's been about 20 years since I played HoS so I couldn't remember that detail. Checked my old posts though and at least I got it right at the time :v:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Whatever man, it's been about 20 years since I played HoS so I couldn't remember that detail. Checked my old posts though and at least I got it right at the time :v:

Yeah, no problem, I just find it funny how many people get tripped up by the detail. It's also incredibly fitting for O'Dimm's character to have a seemingly obvious riddle whose answer is actually a bit more intricate.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm getting really good at scanning over posts without reading them so I don't have anything ruined. I don't expect extensive spoiler tags, this game's ancient by gaming standards.

This game rules. I am progressing through this quest with Triss and we slaughtered a bunch of witch hunters and burned their headquarters to the ground.

This game is so great. I've been at this since it was on sale several weeks ago, what was that? Probably 5 or 6 weeks at this point and my enjoyment is still increasing, I'm not bored or tired of this game, I don't know if a game has ever wowed me this much. Maybe BOTW this spring, but I recently booted that up to show my buddy and it felt dull to me. I don't know, but I'm worried TW3 has cast a permanent shadow over everything.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 18, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm getting really good at scanning over posts without reading them so I don't have anything ruined. I don't expect extensive spoiler tags, this game's ancient by gaming standards.

This game rules. I am progressing through this quest with Triss and we slaughtered a bunch of witch hunters and burned their headquarters to the ground.

This game is so great. I've been at this since it was on sale several weeks ago, what was that? Probably 5 or 6 weeks at this point and my enjoyment is still increasing, I'm not bored or tired of this game, I don't know if a game has ever wowed me this much. Maybe BOTW this spring, but I recently booted that up to show my buddy and it felt dull to me. I don't know, but I'm worried TW3 has cast a permanent shadow over everything.

TW3 never really flags and I think that's its greatest strength. Maybe there's a dip in Novigrad, because the city's architecture becomes so familiar, but it's still Maximum Effort the whole way through.

I'm finally replaying it on PC and still enjoying most of it, including the shonky combat and robbing people's barrels and boxes for everything they own.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I went to Novigrad pretty early and mixed the quests there with doing stuff in Velen. Quite by accident I think it made the city a lot more pleasant to do because I wasn't just running back and forth across it for an unbroken chunk of hours. It really just felt like a big location in Velen for me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
After I got a few levels, I just went to all notice boards and every exclamation mark on the map to get all available quests and simply did all the sidequests with a lower level than the next main quest. That gives you a nice spread of locations, though it does lead to you not knowing what the gently caress the quest is that you picked up 10 hours ago until you read the description.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I dunno for me I just never really felt like it was a tough choice between choosing to help a random rear end in a top hat or choosing to help The Literal Devil. Like we can debate how much sympathy Olgierd is actually worth all day, and maybe it's zero, but at the end of the day I'm just anti-The Devil. Call me old fashioned if you want

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Seriously. It's a choice between a lovely bandit and the literal devil. The moral choice is obvious. He stabbed a spoon through a guy's eye because he interrupted him!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

have you considered that Literally Satan might not be the bad guy???

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

have you considered that Literally Satan might not be the bad guy???

Nah, he's p. bad, bruh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Roobanguy posted:

Seriously. It's a choice between a lovely bandit and the literal devil. The moral choice is obvious. He stabbed a spoon through a guy's eye because he interrupted him!

Yeah no kidding. I'm having flashbacks of #theempiredidnothingwrong and all those white heritage assholes who were upset that people are killing Nazis in the new Wolfenstein. :psyduck:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fuzz posted:

Yeah no kidding. I'm having flashbacks of #theempiredidnothingwrong and all those white heritage assholes who were upset that people are killing Nazis in the new Wolfenstein. :psyduck:

This is moving into hot take territory I think.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is moving into hot take territory I think.

Yeah but my dude, that one semester of philosophy I took years ago has led me to believe that Geralt has no right to decide who lives or dies. Now hold my be while I murder the poo poo out of like a hundred dudes in these hanses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This is a very calm and normal discussion you are leading.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Wait but didn't the Nazis have the right to murder all those people because they had the power to do so? That's what we're talking about, correct?
And then BJ Blazkowicz has even more power so he gets to murder them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
W3 isn't trying to make any grand philosophical points beyond "everyone and everything is kind of lovely, it's all shades of gray."

HoS spoilers: O'Dimm is pure evil incarnate and a literal Satan figure, Olgierd is a piece of poo poo who sacrificed his soul and the life of his brother for wishes from O'Dimm. It would be cool if there was a third "gently caress both of you" option where O'Dimm and Olgierd are condemned to chase each other in the mirror-plane infinitely but the game forces you to choose one or the other.

It's like the resolution to the Bloody Baron quest chain. Neither of them deserve or have earned a second chance, they've both done heinous things. But, offering them a chance at redemption isn't much worse than the alternative, if at all. Everything ends in misery anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pellisworth posted:

W3 isn't trying to make any grand philosophical points beyond "everyone and everything is kind of lovely, it's all shades of gray."

It's really more, 'despite the world existing as all shades of grey, not everyone's lovely and you still need to try and do the right thing,'