Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I bet Toya is Dr Lou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah, it's totally Battler. The only other 18 year old in the story is Jessica, and she never showed any particular interest mystery novels. Also, they tried to remember their birthday at the start, and there's only one character in this whole fuckin' story whose birthday we know. Didn't it also mention that Hachijo Toya made a public appearance with a body double who was a man?

As for the how, was it ever explicitly stated that there were no boats of any kind on the island, or just that trying to sail out in the storm would be suicide? If we take episode 7, Battler would know everyone is dead, and he just saw Eva murder both his parents. Plenty of motivation to grab a dingy and take his chances. From there he just has to wash up on shore like Erika and drag himself to a coastal highway before collapsing.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
No... this is not Ange. From what we know about the other episodes and the proximity to the secret bunker, as well as the fact it can't be Eva and they have their jaw so it can't be Maria... there's only two people it can reasonably be, isn't there?

And I can't say which one I'd rather it be... because either way, it's too cruel, too horribly cruel. If it is the one, then their suicide has failed and they must now live with the terrible crime they have committed, a tragedy that every member of a family besides one, later driven to suicide... and if it's the other, than he will have filled a promise to come back, only to find the promise keeper dead, collapsed under the weight of a terrible truth. Either way, the reward for surviving the Tragedy is lonely solitude, compounded by an inconsolable sorrow. And that's...

Well, that's a drat good tragedy, is what it is; wraps near everything up with a neat little bow. Yasu is broken by their loneliness, confusion and heartbreak and commits a terrible crime, and the wages of this sin is either destruction by guilt or an existence in which they relive their crimes through a pen name... and Battler, the hapless, callow youth who didn't at all know what he was getting into when he hit on the cute servant on a whim, either dies trying to find out why his family is dying, or lives trying to rehash the same through the bottle messages. And like any excellent tragedy, this end seems inevitable but you know that it's not, or rather wasn't, because you can see all of the places where if things went differently, the end could have been avoided; Battler tried to push the message of "it's not anyone's fault" at his party, and that is part of the problem- because things like this are everybody's fault. If Ange had not been as single minded in her pursuit of the one truth, if Battler hadn't forgotten his promise to Yasu, if Eva had taken her to therapy (and gotten some herself), if Maria had been a more understanding friend, if Rosa had just gotten help, if Rudolph had been able to own up to his mistakes and be stronger, if Krauss hadn't been such a bullying rear end in a top hat in youth, if Natsuhi had embraced Yasu as her own, if Kumasawa had embraced Yasu or given them elsewhere, if Genji had been able to stop Kinzo, if Kinzo had not been so harsh as a father, if Kinzo hadn't raped his daughter, if Kinzo had been more honest about what he wanted... singular lapses of judgement or instances of human weakness, which by themselves might be forgivable or at least understandable* compound with each other to create a morass of tragedy that lies on each familial generation like a shroud... like a curse. Or perhaps in Ange's case, it's more like a boulder, rolling toward her head... and bless her, instead of moving out of the way, she tried to catch it and push back. Was it smart, the sound decision of a rational mind, carefully considering the facts? No. But was it human? Absolutely.

So I can't howl and kick up a fuss, even if I had gotten it all out of my system. Hasn't R07 played it completely fair with us, abided exactly by the rules he set down? No surprise twist ending here, just terrible truths confirmed in red: in 1998, Ange Ushiromiya dies. There shall be no happy ending. ... Well, happiness isn't everything, and I'm trying to be better about not cursing and weeping and screaming when I don't get my perfectly desired end- I mean, who am I, Erika? That's the toll we pay the storyteller for the story, after all: the price for asking the answer for something is getting that answer. And once you know the answer, you can't unknow it any more than you can unring a rung bell; "The moving finger writes, and having writ" and yadda yadda yadda.

And that's all fine, that's all OK, lest you think I'm taking an accusatory tone here- as I said before, I like stories of all kinds. I read them, I review them, I take them apart and study them- I guess I'm not unlike Ikuko in that respect. It is possible to tell the breadth of human experience through story to ensure that all stories end happily or always grant emotional catharsis is to chop the entire human experience in half- did I say half? More like a small part of what happens to us every day, as typically, joy must exist alongside sorrow, anger, fear, revolt, disappointment, lust, embarrassment, annoyance, hopelessness, hysteria, dread, regret, boredom, and other things we don't even have words in English for, all this with long stretches of not feeling much of anything at all.... So if stories are art (and they are, the oldest form, and maybe even that is selling the importance of stories short), then as many of these things as possible must be reflected as truthfully as possible, or art is a lie. So naturally, I think, in order to understand the most about the crafty ape called human and its place in the circus called life, it is desirable and salutary to read stories that end in all possible ways, to touch as many emotions as possible. So through all the media I am able, I have chosen as my companion not only stories of joy, but the other kind: stories that make me cry, stories that make me feel uncomfortable and sick, stories that make me feel really, really loving angry, stories that make me hate life a little more than I did before I read them. And because I've sought them out, I feel like I have seem more incredible things, and felt deeper about the world and about humanity, than I think I would if I had kept to the safer path. Does that make me happier? I don't know.

But I do know that this is a good, and well crafted story, a story that I'm still kinda shocked to know came out of a writing convention, put together by one person and assisted by his friends and fans. It's a mystery about how mysteries work and the relationship between the author and the audience... and it's a story of love, but also a story about how one's suffering, one's failures and mistakes, is never just their own, but is passed down through generations; how pain can lead to alienation as much as empathy. It is a story of cruelty, and the path of cruelty - the path followed by Greenaway and Godard, by Hardy and von Trier, by Larkin, by Bergman, by our old friend Yoko Taro**- states that any effective story of cruelty must itself be cruel.

So I suppose this is a lot of words to say thank you, Professor, for sharing this with the forum, and for sticking with it despite the time sink and the staggering amount of effort involved, from you and all the witches. How does our story end?

*except for the "daughter-rape" thing, Jesus Christ, Kinzo, I still don't understand why you get to be here but Asumu or your poor, long-suffering wife don't...
** Well, sort of... there are times when I think I can see genuine craft and poignancy in his work, but I'm still glad to see that most people of my acquaintance don't take him too seriously, lord knows he doesn't take himself seriously...

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

** Well, sort of... there are times when I think I can see genuine craft and poignancy in his work, but I'm still glad to see that most people of my acquaintance don't take him too seriously, lord knows he doesn't take himself seriously...

(Nier: Automata Tangent, Ending E spoilers) I find Nier as a series to be genuinely hopefully and uplifting. In Automata specifically it sets up a world where everything is horrible and miserable and meaningless all day every day. Horrible things happen to good people all the time for no reason, and the characters are trapped in an endless cycle of murder and pain where all reasons to keep going are a lie. And then at the end of it all it asks you, the player, if you want to just throw it all away. I mean, it's just a game, right? Everything you've done is totally meaningless, right? Why not just give up and flush these pointless, miserable experiences down the toilet? And then you say 'No' and struggle against impossible odds to keep going, only managing to succeed when you rely on others for help. Because no matter how miserable a struggle life is, it is the struggle itself that gives it meaning, and it only seems impossible when we try to face it alone. I've actually been thinking about the parallels with Umineko for a while now. Basically, instead of the over-saturated Halloween party, Battler should have just give Ange a copy of Nier: Automata to play.

Of course, the Drakengard series is mostly about how awful the people who play Drakengard must be, so nobody can accuse Yoko Taro of taking himself too seriously.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I believe it is still too early to call that this story ends in tragedy. Maybe I am being too hopefuly for my own good but until we see what happens to the Golden Land, we see how the event for revealing the truth of Eva's journal goes, we see what the mystery person who also survived the incident does from here on out I will not give up hope that there is still a chance for things to not end in complete tragedy. I am not saying this in a "It would suck if it all ended badly" kinda way but because the way I enjoy a story is by cheering and hoping for the characters involved even when things seem dire, believing that maybe there is still a chance somehow for there to be at least some happiness in the end. Whether that hope will be horribly crushed or not is still to be seen, but until we got complete confirmation on some of the things still left unclear I will not declare this a tragedy. ...well, okay, not a COMPLETE tragedy, a lot of horrible poo poo has already happened so whatever ending awaits us will not be all sunshine and rainbows I will accept that. But there is still the possibility that Ange survived the fall in the real world, we already back in episode 4 even have seen the aftermath of her possible survival, so it is not impossible as the game has shown us.

Anyhow, I also recently had this cross my brain and I feel like I should inflict it on everyone here as well: Maybe Battler's plan with showing Ange her family enjoying themselves was a subtle way of showing a possible truth after all. He just wanted to show her that maybe her entire family was just having a blast at the end :v:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Robindaybird posted:

It's also notable the narration, and the dialogue with the Doctor and Ikuko didn't use any gendered pronouns, leaving some ambiguity of who Toya is.
I thought there was an earlier scene where Ikuko asks a servant to tell her when 'he' wakes up, presumably referring to Toya? I'll try to find it. I might be mistaken.

That said, regardless of who Toya is, I wonder if the degree to which they're messed up physically and their lengthy recovery that might not ever reach pre-accident health is enough to disqualify their ending from being a happy one, and thus keep it valid. I mean, I tend to think of happy endings as ones where most things get fixed or wrapped up to a state of satisfaction, but that's literally impossible in Umineko due to the massacre or at the very least the bombs. I mean just the fact that they found Maria's jaw kind of makes the 'ending' unhappy, inherently. But there's something poignant about an ending where massively unhappy stuff happened, messed up surviving characters, and now it's a story about recovering from trauma, which is not purely happy but isn't hopeless either.

IDK. I'll have to think more about this as we see this through to the end.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

resurgam40 posted:

And I can't say which one I'd rather it be... because either way, it's too cruel, too horribly cruel. If it is the one, then their suicide has failed and they must now live with the terrible crime they have committed, a tragedy that every member of a family besides one, later driven to suicide... and if it's the other, than he will have filled a promise to come back, only to find the promise keeper dead, collapsed under the weight of a terrible truth. Either way, the reward for surviving the Tragedy is lonely solitude, compounded by an inconsolable sorrow. And that's...
I disagree. What we're seeing here seems to point to Umineko being a story about, at the end, living in the aftermath of a tragedy and trying to recover from it, not being completely broken by it. Whoever Toya is, they've found some happiness with Ikuko, despite what would have had to happen to them to get to that place. I feel like everyone goes through life collecting scars and bruises from unhappiness, and living is finding happiness anyway. Toya's just had a LOT more unhappiness and literal physical scars than most people, but that doesn't mean they can't also be genuinely happy with Ikuko, in general.

...the Ange thing I can't really argue about, though.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Toya is not Ange by virtue of Ange being mince meat, as evidenced by this picture.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I'm just gonna go ahead and remove the backlog length counter from the OP, as it no longer serves any purpose.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and remove the backlog length counter from the OP, as it no longer serves any purpose.
How much is left?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Is it because the "backlog counter" now covers the entire rest of the LP?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cyouni posted:

Is it because the "backlog counter" now covers the entire rest of the LP?

Pretty much what that means.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
God drat. :(

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Voices... Voices calling to me. Dad... and Mom... It can't be...

In 1986, on Rokkenjima... Mom and Dad...

"...Ange, hang in there...! Can you hear Daddy's voice...?!"
"Please, say something!! Ange!!"

...Dad, Mom... I'll... say it out loud... Dad... Mom...

I could feel my body being lifted up firmly... and hugged roughly. Mom and Dad... were hugging me...

My eyelids have been open for a while now. I could feel the light slowly returning to my eyes. Just like your eyes get used to the dark, my eyes got used to the light, and bit by bit, the scene around me came into view.

BGM: Song Without a Name (instrumental)

My body... was being hugged by Dad and Mom. Dad was sniffling, his face covered with tears. There were tears in Mom's eyes too as she hugged me tight. It was... so strong that it hurt a bit. They held me with all their strength. Me, the bad kid who wasn't obedient, who always had an excuse, and who always tried to do the opposite of what her parents said. They held me tight, to make sure I didn't head down the wrong path...

As my eyes adjusted, I could see other people besides my parents. Everyone was there. George onii-chan, Jessica onee-chan, Maria onee-chan. My uncles and aunts. Even Sakutarou. And then, there was the witch Virgilia, and Ronove, and...

"You were fortunate. By chance, we found you drifting in the waves of the sea of emptiness. You were in a terrible state. It took much time to make you remember your true form."
"...Beatrice... So, this is..."
"The Golden Land. Your whole family has been waiting here for you to return."
"...We knew you would come home."

Did I... come home because I was supposed to...? I'll... go back to how I'm supposed to be, and then...

"No, you did come home."
"That's right. You made it back here because you wanted to come home to us."
"...Dad... Mom... I..."
"You don't need to say anything. You've been on a great and terrible journey, haven't you? You took that journey all by yourself..."
"You understand now, don't you? You won't forget again?"

I understand, Dad...

"...This is... a place you can always call home..."
"...Yeah..."

When I gave that answer, Dad and Mom hugged me again. Hot tears fell onto my face. They were Dad's and Mom's tears...

"...Aunt... Eva..."
"Feel free to hate me as much as you want. Give your Dad and Mom a million kisses. Give a kiss to everyone who cared about you so much."
"...Aunt... Eva..."
"...And say 'I'm home' to your other mother."

Mom gave me a push from behind, and I stumbled forwards. Towards my... other mother.

"...Eva... Mom..."
"...Ange-chan..."
"If only... I'd called you that on that day, I might never have messed up... We might have been able... to create a new world together..."
"That's enough. You've come home. You don't need to say anything else..."
"Mom... Mom..."
"Welcome home, Ange-chan... You're my adorable daughter..."
"Mom... Always, and until the end, you were my closest friend..."

The two of them hugged each other quietly, burying their faces in the other's shoulders and sobbing.

The truth... wasn't worth anything at all. In the first place, the truth is always in the past. The point of the future isn't to learn what happened in the past. What really matters... is whether I can truly live and prosper in the truth that is the now. If I truly live and prosper, that is the truth.

Back when I only ever tried to see the truth of the past, I was nothing more than a ghost trapped in that past. Since that time, I haven't lived a single day. Now, I truly understand. This is what... the real truth is...

BGM: Novelette

Because I was young and selfish, I didn't even remember until now. The kind Grandpa, who always spoiled me. The entertaining aunts and uncles. All of the kind and gentle servants. It was always... warm. And yet, because I was young and cruel, I never tried to remember any of that. Everyone was distorted by my irresponsible imagination, and I completely forgot the truth...

Now, I can remember clearly, and I understand. As for that Halloween quiz party, that certainly was an illusion. That never happened. However, weren't there all kinds of fun things we did when the relatives gathered, things that were no more or less fun than that party...? And, for the first time since the start of the game...

I went up to each and every one of them... to greet them, thank them, and apologize. To thank Grandpa for always pampering me. To thank my aunts and uncles. To thank the cousins for always playing with me even though I was so selfish. And, I thanked and apologized to the fantasy creatures.

I think I said something horrible to Sakutarou once, in the past. And to Maria onee-chan too.

"I've always been a witch. You approached that level yourself once, didn't you?"
"No. I never really understood. Pitiful Maria onee-chan with her pitiful magic. That's all I thought of it... So, I couldn't pick up a Fragment of happiness, couldn't even find one. You told me that yourself once, Onee-chan..."
"...It can't be helped. It takes two to create a universe. I had Beato, but you were all alone."
"No. If I had called Aunt Eva Mom, there would have been two of us. I'm sure I'd have been able to create a new world with the same magic you used, Maria onee-chan."
"...All of it is my fault. The message bottle I threw away half-jokingly caused a distortion in your future and wore you down. I bear responsibility for that."
"...Yeah, seriously. It's all because of your message bottles. Because of that, people started copying you and making Forgeries, growing the story into something crazy."

However, the message bottles thrown away by Beato did not name a specific person as the culprit. One of the Forgers wrote a plausible forgery that had Ushiromiya Eva as the culprit, which spread like a wildfire... Even though I should've known better than anyone else that it was impossible, I accepted it in the end.

"...It isn't your fault, Beato. No matter how many people around me had their baseless suspicions, there should've been only one truth inside me. And yet, so easily, I abandoned my warm memories of all of you, and surrendered my heart to them."
"No, no. If I had not thrown away the message bottles, the future of Rokkenjima would never have become the center of such bizarre misconceptions. I bear responsibility for it all."
"...True. That's right, it really is your fault after all."
"Mu. Put that way, it's a little irritating. You do have your share of the blame as well."
"...Yeah, you're right. You were at fault, and so was I. Still, it'd be stupid for us to attack each other. After all, I'm a witch of the future. You're a witch of the past. I should be using that magic to build my future. We both bear responsibility in some way, but neither of us has the right to blame the other."
"...I knew you'd be able to understand Mariage Sorciere's teachings, Ange."
"That's right. As the final member of Mariage Sorciere, it's my responsibility to pass on Onee-chan's magic."
"My magic can make everyone happy."
"Indeed...! You have both pure magic and wicked magic at your fingertips...!"
"...That's true. Magic can change completely depending on your heart. If you aren't properly guided, you can't use magic properly. And proper magic can bring people happiness."
"It is a wonderful thing... Bringing people happiness is the sole reason that witches wield magic. I am very pleased to know that those teachings have been passed down through the Endless Witches, all the way to the final witch..."
"Sorry for failing to pass it down myself at all."
"Witch of the Future, ANGE Beatrice. I will now retract your expulsion from Mariage Sorciere."
"Uryu-! I knew Ange would come back...!"
"Congratulations, Ange-sama."
"...And for a while, I thought I understood what the time we traveled together meant. Sorry. I'm really sorry..."
"Witches cannot create a universe unless there are two. In the future, you will be alone. Will you really be okay...?"
"Yeah, I'll be okay. I'm not alone anymore. I'll... live. With everyone. And I'll live in the future. I swear to keep living, so that I can pass on the magic of Mariage Sorciere."
"Maria onee-chan's magic has saved me too. There are a lot of people out there who need magic. As the final witch of Mariage Sorciere, it's my duty to teach it the right way and save as many people as I can."
"Will you truly be able to do so...?"
"Of course. I have the power to do it. There's the golden magic that my predecessor, EVA Beatrice, spent so much time building. I've inherited all of that. Right?"
"*giggle*. Well, if only my health had held out a little longer, I was planning to spend all of it on myself."

*giggle*, ahahahahahahahahahaha. As Ange laughed, tears poured from her eyes again. Everyone surrounded Ange with their kind, warm smiles...

BGM: Wingless

After searching for some time, Ange found him.

"...Onii-chan..."
"..."

Ange, who was feeling guilty, sensed anger in her brother's expression. So, she thought he was going to hit her. She shut her eyes. However, her brother touched her softly. He patted her head gently.

"...Hey."
"..."

"...No, it wasn't. Even though you were here, waiting for me to come home in such a warm world... I had my back turned the whole time..."
"You learned the truth."
"...Yeah..."
"So, any hopes you had of someone miraculously surviving and coming back... have been crushed. However, you now have a new mission, a hope for living in the future."
"...You kept that precious hope safe for me. I was the one who set it free and let it escape. It turned out worse than Pandora's box. A truth I didn't need to know flew out of the box, along with all my hopes, leaving nothing inside but empty space..."
"That's okay. It's open now, and that's that. Better for it to be empty than to have something rotten inside. After all, false hopes can sometimes come back to bite you."

Battler laughed heartily. Then, with that same smile on his face, he told her.

"...Yeah."
"You've lived 12 years on the hope that we might still be alive. Not anymore. That's over and done with."
"Yeah. I know. Starting now, I'll step forward into a new life."
"Beato put Rokkenjima in the cat box. The next witch, Aunt Eva, guarded the lid of that cat box her whole life. The witch after that, you, opened that lid, but so what? Why does the truth of the past matter?"
"...Yeah. From now on, I'll truly live. And I'll make my own personal truth prosper."
"Good luck. The final witch of Mariage Sorciere. I've read Maria's grimoire. It's a great book, with some really good stuff written in it."
"Even the Bible needs a translator. So, Maria's grimoire probably needs one too. You will be that translator. You've got to teach kids who are in the position you once were. That's your mission as the new Witch of the Future."
"...Yeah."
"I'm... gone. But I'll always be behind you, watching over you."
"I know. And not just you. Everyone else too..."
"...All of us... will love you forever. Don't forget that..."
"...I won't... Never..."

Humans are sad creatures, who can 'learn' but not 'unlearn'. She had already learned. It may have been a cruel, terrifying, merciless thing, capable of destroying even the miracle called hope. However, there was still one tiny Fragment left gripped in her hand.

Her family's... love. If she can just remember that and hold it tight... then surely, Ange will live on... She can stop before taking that single step into nothingness...

"And still, the Rokkenjima cat box hasn't been opened completely. You've just taken a peek at what's inside. So, you must be the lid yourself."
"And, this time, you'll protect everyone inside the cat box. Me and Dad and Kyrie-san, the cousins and the uncles and the aunts. Grandfather and the servants. And all of the fantasy people."
"...Yeah. This time... I have to... protect everyone..."

The sound of popcorn being eaten rang out from beyond a rose bush. It was Lambdadelta.

"...I'm... going. I gave Bernkastel that key. It's my responsibility. I'll go and bring it back."
"The City of Books, is it? But there's no way for us to get in. There's a barrier around that place."
"...She gave me this. With it, I can come and go as I please. What an idiot. She forgot to collect it when she threw me away."

Ange fished through her pocket, and there was a jingling sound. It was a bell with a blue ribbon tied to it.

"...That's it. One of those temporary entry passes that you get when you turn in your invitation. As long as you have that, at least one of you will be able to get into the City of Books. Well, as long as someone takes you across the sea of Fragments first."
"Lambdadelta. Take me to the City of Books."
"...Ange."
"This is my way of taking responsibility. I'll see that the Book of the Single Truth isn't made public."
"...Are you serious? That place is a den of monsters among monsters. Now that you've lost Bern's protection, you'll be weaker than a fly. Squish. The end."
"Ah-"

The bell was stolen from Ange's hands.

"No! This is my responsibility, my way of making up for what I did! If I don't do it myself, the future won't change at all, and I won't be able to save the cat box of the future...!"

Ange tried to snatch the key from Battler's hand, but Battler had no intention of giving it up. The two of them were grimly serious, but from the sidelines, it looked like an ordinary squabble between two close siblings. Lambdadelta watched this conversation and shrugged. If she just had to take either one of them to the City of Books, she wouldn't have to make any enemies, and there was no risk to her. All she cared about was which one would make the story more interesting. Nothing else.

But then, she finally noticed.

"Stop. Stop, you two. Stop!"
"What's your problem?! Save it for later!!"
"We're having an important sibling discussion here!"
"Okay, first off, let go of each other's hands. Battler's holding the bell now, right? Jump, Battler."
"...Jump? Like this?"

"You next, Ange. Try jumping."
"...Why the hell should I..."

"Huh...? Why...?"

If Battler was holding the bell, where did that sound come from...? Ange hurriedly searched through her pockets. When she did, another blue-ribboned bell came out of a different pocket than the first one.

"These are... the same, aren't they...?"
"...No way... Why are there two? I was only given one of them!"
"I don't know why. At any rate, you've got two bells that'll get you into the City of Books. Now I don't have to sit here and watch the two of you play with each other anymore."

The pair of them gripped their bells and looked at each other.

"From the very beginning, this game has belonged to the two of you. There's just been a slight change in who the opponent is. This isn't a competition between you two. It's a fight between Battler and Ange, who want to close the lid on the cat box, and Bern, who wants it opened. Ange has moved from Bern's team to Battler's team. That's all there is to it."
"Lambdadelta. Take us to the City of Books."
"...Okay, okay, I'm just taking you there! After that, I'm done being anything but a spectator! I just wanna have the best seats, to see exactly how you fight, what you do, and how Bern makes mincemeat out of you all...!"
"Lambdadelta... thanks!"

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Finally, the confirmation that no one needed. Though, I think it's interesting that the story leaves open the interpretation that Battler might have survived, and was part of why Hachijo was able to write such good forgeries, though at the expense of Battler's head.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
And there it is: the revelation I found, and that I confess I was losing hope that she'd ever see... delivered in a surprisingly low-key manner, much removed from the hysterical revelation of the one truth, but maybe that's the point. After all the raw, emotional damage sustained after the Halloween party went to poo poo, I'm certainly not complaining about just a nice catharsis chapter in the rain- although I personally would have liked a little bit more connection with Beato due to the similarity of their situations and impetus for their actions. But as I said in my last big long post, this is a vast maelstrom of blame throughout the whole family, and past a certain point you have to ask whether ascertaining the "blame" of it all is even worth it any more. So when one subtracts all the blame, what's left?

ProfessorProf posted:

"Beato put Rokkenjima in the cat box. The next witch, Aunt Eva, guarded the lid of that cat box her whole life. The witch after that, you, opened that lid, but so what? Why does the truth of the past matter?"

Humans are sad creatures, who can 'learn' but not 'unlearn'. She had already learned. It may have been a cruel, terrifying, merciless thing, capable of destroying even the miracle called hope. However, there was still one tiny Fragment left gripped in her hand.

Her family's... love. If she can just remember that and hold it tight... then surely, Ange will live on... She can stop before taking that single step into nothingness...

Only love. The thing Ange was really looking for, despite all her protestations that she was just looking for "the truth", because she was largely looking for vindication. But she was also looking for proof that she was loved by somebody, once, before she gave up entirely. And this is what she finds in her memories, in spite of the truth, because that's truth too: we were all broken people, and we all made mistakes, but our love for each other and for you was real. And if that's what does it, if that's what gives her the strength to live on, than I ca-

-aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHGFCXDHTRSZEFASZTXCTG WHY DO YOU SUCK SO MUCH BATTLER #BattlerRuinsEverything

You just got done admitting you were dead to your sister and saying goodbye to her; you were finally addressing the problem head on by talking to her personally and not depending on some long forgotten image of her childhood. Why would you gently caress that up now? I mean, do you not get what a breakthrough was made in this chapter? Ange was there, man; she had gotten what you were trying to say with the party, even after everything and at her lowest point, and she was finally saying goodbye to her family, had lain her hatred of Eva down, and in her acknowledgement of everyone else's blame and forgiving it, she was starting to forgive herself for living. And when our Shortcackle reminded her of the truth revealing party, Ange wants to go stop it; do you not get what a big deal that is? It means that Ange is thinking, for possibly the first time ever, about life beyond the truth of the tragedy, of life beyond all this crap. And you might be some spirit, but she is alive and has realized she wants to live, so let her fight for it! Let her be the one to say my life is more important than the truth! I know your trying to make up for lost time here, but she is a grown woman and you can't protect her forever. The party's over! Time for life!

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
I've only read the manga version of this section. Reading this update... I think I prefer the manga version. A lot.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This part is quite different in the manga and I agree that it's better. Also, this is where they stick the interlude for Confession of the Golden Witch which is really very important.

Basically Will's fight with Claire in EP7 and then all of EP8 up to this point are much more explicit and clear in the manga. I think Ryukishi didn't want to spell everything out, which is why the VN deliberately leaves quite a few things open to interpretation, but eventually was convinced to use the manga as a authoritative solution. This is where the manga differences basically end, also; the finale is basically identical. I'm not sure what the thread policy is on talking about the answers the manga provides, but if anyone is interested in them, this would be a good point to read it since they're all on the table by this point in the story.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ProfessorProf posted:

And those who expected lightning and thunder
Are disappointed
And those who expected signs and archangels’ trumps
Do not believe it is happening now

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Chiru is out on Steam.

If someone wants to do an effortpost about Confession, I'll allow it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd be totally happy to have an explanation. Right now, I feel like the story is trying to say a message, but I'm not really sure if me and it are on the same page as what that message is. Maybe because the effort to maintain a catbox being seemingly more important than Ange's recovery from a traumatic past is making me go :thunk:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, not to pressure anyone here, but after talking up the manga version of things, I'd be interested in even a Cliff's Note's briefing on what was added.changed to make the scene better. Because as things stand, it... works, but it still feels like a step happened somewhere that we didn't see. (I suppose I could hunt down the Manga stuff myself, but something tells me that if I crossed that bridge at this juncture, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from reading till the end. And I've kept honest so far, so that would feel too sad.)

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Well, in terms of this chapter... (Spoilers for manga section up to this point in case people want to read it themselves)

The main difference in the manga for this section is that it explicitly confirms that the EP7 Tea Party version of events is essentially correct. When Ange revives in the Golden Land and sees her parents, she recollects the scene of them killing George and Jessica from EP7. Also, Beato apologizing to Ange is a much bigger deal in the manga, because she speaks directly as the true culprit / Yasu rather than the fantasy version of Yasu's Beatrice persona. The scene focuses much more on Yasu and what they did. Everyone acknowledges their own guilt in making it all possible, and Yasu basically tells Ange not to follow in their footsteps by indulging in self-delusions to run away from reality. Also that the Golden Land is exactly the land of the dead and for Ange not to follow her family there, though that didn't really need confirming. The sentiment comes off as much more sincere coming from Yasu. I also like Ange saying that she doesn't want to become stuck thinking that she shouldn't have learned the truth. It's about her being able to accept the truth of what happened, the whole truth, seen from many different perspectives, and trying to become a better person by doing so.

rvm
May 6, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah, not to pressure anyone here, but after talking up the manga version of things, I'd be interested in even a Cliff's Note's briefing on what was added.changed to make the scene better. Because as things stand, it... works, but it still feels like a step happened somewhere that we didn't see. (I suppose I could hunt down the Manga stuff myself, but something tells me that if I crossed that bridge at this juncture, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from reading till the end. And I've kept honest so far, so that would feel too sad.)

You should just read Chapters 24 - 25 of the manga. It's not out officially yet, but it's easily obtained. Cliff's Note's version wouldn't do.

Ah, it's actually all on youtube with music and sound effects. It's pretty neat. Here, I'm going to polsy it.

Confessions 1

Confessions 2

Confessions 3

The Cage Of Obligations

Also,

Ryukishi07 posted:

Hello, this is Ryukishi07. The English version of Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru is set to be released on Steam on November 17th. With the cooperation of English language Umineko fan group Witch Hunt, and Steam publisher Mangagamer, the game has been transferred to an engine that can properly include and run the English version. (Of course, the Japanese text is still included, if anyone in Japan wants to play it too!) Witch Hunt had already done work translating Umineko, so that helped this release go incredibly smoothly. It’s all thanks to Witch Hunt’s assistance over the years! To everyone at Witch Hunt, thank you so, so much! Umineko no Naku Koro ni’s conclusion, Chiru, is a work I put everything I had into at the time. I think there are a number of shoddier parts, but I very much hope you enjoy it!

rvm fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 18, 2017

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

rvm posted:

The Ultimatum
I'm not sure because this is all new material to me, but I think this one includes spoilers for the next update.

rvm
May 6, 2013

TheArchimage posted:

I'm not sure because this is all new material to me, but I think this one includes spoilers for the next update.

Sorry, removed.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Oh... Oh. :gbsmith: Yes, that is much better, in every possible respect. That was everything I wanted from the story at this point- here is the missing step.

rvm posted:

Ah, it's actually all on youtube with music and sound effects. It's pretty neat. Here, I'm going to polsy it.

Confessions 1

Confessions 2

Confessions 3

Nothing we haven't heard before or discussed multiple times in the thread, but still, such an awful stab in the gut. :smithicide: While I still have reservations about making the mysteries surrounding Yasu so clear-cut, I'm too much in love with the presentation of all of the things we've discussed in the thread: the confusion and frustration of their dysphoria, the fantasy life they developed out of their loneliness... and most of all, how the attempts of Genji, Nanjo, and Kumasawa to help them and give them a future, and the subsequent revelation of her origin, broke them instead. How they could not bear the secrets placed upon them- that they were born of adultery, rape, and incest; that their body is too damaged to reproduce, so damaged not even the original gender was clear- and how the added pressures of spreading themselves between two identities, equally real in their eyes... eventually drove them mad. And the most important thing learned, the thing that would cause a paradigm shift in Ange's thinking if she knew about this confession (and I believe it is stated that she did), is that even in the throes of this madness, even when Beato was trying to be her most cruel... there were moments of doubt and regret. There were moments of actual guilt and shame at the terrible acts they envisioned, moments of wondering "How can I do this to the only people I've known".. that even they couldn't really survive. It proves that at the end, when they lost all hope, that they really did trust to the miracle happening, that Battler could stop them. It completely destroys the image of Beatrice as a callous monster, but instead as just another person who made a really bad decision under pressure. Just like everyone else in the family. And Ange had to see that.. through Beato's own lips.

Which brings us to this part, another highly necessary piece that needed to be stated for any sort of turnaround to work. When first confronted with her parents, Ange initially rejects them- a completely understandable reaction, given that they apparently did Bonnie-and-Clyde everyone to death (Christ almighty :cry: )- and doesn't know what to do, which is the catalyst for Beato to finally, finally do what they should have done from the first. I, ZD, Witchcore, a few others, have been drawing the similarity between the fates of Yasu and Ange for pages now, and at last, here we have a specific parallel between them drawn and made plain... and also made plain is the concept of the "Ushiromiya curse" as the aggregate of a whole bunch of bad decisions, things done and left undone, that eventually swallowed everyone. For the first time, the catbox of the island is not treated as some magical land where dreams come true, but as the last, desperate attempt to avoid facing an uncertain future. The Golden Land treated not as a refuge... but as a prison. And it is this idea that created the paradigm shift in Ange, makes her realize that she was using her search for the One Truth to do the same: to create a space in which she may stay forever without facing the further horrors of the world. To boil the possible futures down to nonexistence.

Yasu was sick, Eva was sick, Kinzo was sick, and their sickness was shared by Ange. When the worst thing happened to them, they tried to lock themselves away in a place that could do them no more harm. And that put paid to their happiness as well. Here at last is the metaphor created using the image of a locked room mystery made plain: I am locked within a room by my fate and by my actions. How do I get out of the room? How do I get off the island? How do I bear with unbearable solitude and guilt? Ange doesn't know, it's not exactly a question with one answer... but for the first time, I think she is willing to try to find out.

(Personal note: the talisman thing was completely adorable, and did more to sell the idea of Kinzo as flawed human trying to atone than the entire Halloween party did. Second note: there are some excellent piano settings in that last vid; were they part of the original or repackaged games, or a separate composition that someone else did after the fact, like for an image CD or something?)

In short... :worship: Thank you so much for sharing this, this is perfect. Especially since now I know that I would most certainly not have been able to stop until the end...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly According to R7. Sayo Yasuda or just Sayo is the proper name to think of them as. Mainly cause Sayo does not like the nickname Yasu. (Shannon being considered a different thing from Sayo) Also it appears that Yoshiya Kanon's allegedly real name is a backwards kana spelling of Sayo.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also it appears that Yoshiya Kanon's allegedly real name is a backwards kana spelling of Sayo.

Yep. Yo-shi-ya -> Shi-ya-yo -> Sha-yo -> Sayo

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Is it "よしゃ" or "よしや"?

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Neither, it's 嘉哉. Not sure about furigana.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Sa-yo = 34
Yo-shi-ya = 4+4+8 = 16

Besides 34 being a Lambdadelta thing, Furfur is the 34th and Zepar the 16th spirit/earl of Hell

Coincidence? I mean this is R07 we're talking about so probably not

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Additionally, "Yoshiya" is a common Japanese transliteration of the name "Yeshua," or Jesus, and apparently Sayo's name can also be read as "Shaddai" (not as sure about that one), which can be translated as either "god of the wilderness" (and Beatrice is associated with the forest surrounding the mansion), "destroyer" (self-explanatory), and... "pair of breasts"/a fertility goddess :tinfoil:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

They glared quietly and fearlessly at the eerie fleet of ships across the horizon. Shannon slowly lifted her hands. Kanon also raised his right hand, and a red blade appeared there.

"Stop right there. I forbid you to come any closer."
"...If you do, I'll kill you."

They could see a single dinghy leave the fleet and approach them. They couldn't tell if it was a messenger or the first wave. Shannon and Kanon watched it cautiously...

At the head of that dinghy rowed by goats... stood Erika. Where could she have gotten that from? Maybe she's trying to act the part of the fleet's leader. Erika was glaring at them and smiling aggressively, with what appeared to be a pirate hat on her head.

BGM: Bore Ral

Shannon and Kanon looked at each other. Erika was the one offering this deal. It wasn't likely to be anything agreeable. However, if they turned her away, the attack would probably begin at once. Since they were in a firmly inferior position, they wanted to buy time by any means they could. At Shannon's nod, Kanon erased his sword...

The Golden Land was filled with a hard downpour accompanied by occasional thunder. Erika, who realized that this weather spoke for their emotions, smiled even more boldly. At the center of the Golden Land... was the arbor surrounded by the golden rose garden. A large number of humans and fantasy creatures were there, arguing about something. Even without asking, it was easy to guess the nature of the debate by their anguished expressions. After all, in this life-or-death situation, they didn't have many options they could take...

In the direction Erika was being led, Beato stood waiting, accompanied by the Chiester Sisters Troops. When Erika, followed by her goat guards, saw her, she gave a bow that only appeared graceful. Beato followed suit and gave the sort of graceful bow that was rarely seen from her.

As though hinting that she was more than ready to go through with this farce, Beato introduced herself boldly and requested that Erika do the same.

"We have been dispatched from the Great Witch of Theatergoing, Drama, and Spectating's Noble City of Carefully Selected Books. I am the Witch of Truth, the commander of the Library Fleet, which is committed to bestowing honor and protection to books. My name is Furudo Erika. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."
"Shall we get down to business?"
"You ought to celebrate. We of the Library Fleet, dedicated to offering honor and protection to books, have come to bring good news to you all. First, I would like to announce that, after careful selection, the City of Books has acknowledged and accepted the game board created by the Endless Witch Beatrice as a great and honorable book."
"Hoh. That is indeed a great honor."
"That game board is a profoundly entertaining and original masterpiece, worthy of close study. It deserves to be released for all of our subjects to read. And so, the City of Books has ordered us to grant eternal honor and protection to this game board."
"This is all quite long and boring. Get to the point."
"We demand that you hand the entirety of this game board over to the honorable City of Books. Doing so will give this board and its pieces the greatest honor and protection imaginable."
"And if we refuse?"
"You will be prosecuted for the crime of monopolizing a great cultural artifact that ought to be shared among all of our subjects. We are here to notify you of the impending assault, one which will be waged by us to protect the benefits that are the rightful property of all subjects, not yours alone."
"Are you not concerned that the shared property of all subjects might be destroyed in this assault of yours?"
"According to the Great Library Protective Regulations, when a criminal guilty of monopolization of a cultural artifact raises that objection as you have now done.. the executive fleet may prioritize arrest over its protective duties, as long as they obtain permission from the Great Court. Of course, we have already obtained the Great Court's written authorization."
"I imagine the word 'arrest' is closely followed by 'dead or alive'. Am I right?"
"My, my. I'm impressed that you can read those tiny letters. Now, enough fooling around. Let's hear your answer."
"What do we have to gain by accepting your conditions?"
"Both of us will be saved a troublesome task. Furthermore, your brave and noble acts will be written down as a glorious final chapter in the City of Books."
"...You do understand, right? You have no chance of winning. This isn't even a fight. It's just you, sitting there at the bottom of a well, and looking up at the stones thrown down at you."
"...So, you claim that my only option is to decide how the library witches write of my final moments. *cackle*cackle*..."
"The rest is up to you. If you treasure this game board, you ought to surrender. The pieces will be treasured by our many subjects for all time, and will be able to continue their roles on into eternity."
"Hmph. In other words, the tragedies I created at will shall continue forevermore."
"How is that any different from what you've been doing so far?"
"...It isn't. Is there anything else? If not, allow me to give you my answer."
"Go ahead."

BGM: None

She might shout 'here is my answer' dramatically and do something crazy. They say a cornered rat is the most dangerous. Furthermore, Erika had intel telling her that the great Lady Lambdadelta, witch of the Senate, had been spending her time inside the Golden Land, though only as a theatergoer. Erika needed to carry out this noble task that her master had assigned her, and she had to carry it out perfectly. If she was honest, she wanted to make Beato raise a white flag, even by trickery if necessary. So, even though this was a farce, she held back from giving any unneeded provocation.

She gulped and tried to size Beato up. And then, with a pathetic expression on her face, Beato let out a sigh.

"...What do you mean by that?"
"My game had already achieved its purpose when my fight with Battler ended. And yet, for various reasons, the game has repeated several times since then. To be perfectly honest, I am tired of it."
"...To be honest, I certainly didn't expect that answer. So, you want to surrender? Really...?"
"Simply put, I don't care either way. It doesn't matter whether I surrender or whether we're vanquished by you. I simply wish to have the curtain closed on this game board and tale, regardless of who does the deed."

BGM: Lie-alaiaa

For now, their best option... was to play for time. They would fix Erika's attention to this spot, and during that time, Battler and the others would steal the key from Bernkastel while she was completely off her guard. Once they had the key, they would return to the Golden Land, use that key to let Ange open the door to the future, and see her off. That was their goal. Everything after that... was inside the cat box. Ange would live on into the future, with hope. No one would know whether Beato and the others were alive or dead. That was enough. The only strategy Beato and the others could use to achieve this... was to buy time.

"...If you do surrender, it may be a bit of an anti-climax, but it will save me a lot of trouble."
"But, well, it is not so simple. You see, and this is just between you and me, as you may know, the great Lady Lambdadelta is staying here. She is, you see, pushing us to show her a dramatic climax."
"...That's a pretty cruel whim to force on someone. How are a few wimpy people in what's basically an already-solved puzzle supposed to fight against our fleet, with its hundreds of thousands of troops?"
"Very true, very true... The gap in strength is overwhelming. We told her that it wouldn't even be a fight, but... Well, Lady Lambdadelta didn't listen, and just said she would bring some of her friends to support us, so we should fight with everything we had."
"...Lady Lambdadelta's... friends...?"

Her friends and patrons were either territory lords of great influence that came from all over the place, or else monsters that had become legends in their own lifetimes. In all seriousness, her so-called 'fan club' had enough size and influence that it could have suddenly declared itself a separate country in the sea of Fragments without anyone being overly surprised.

"...This is quite a problem for us, with Lady Lambdadelta all ready for action. Without any regard for us, she keeps calling up friends and acquaintances on the phone from all over the place, telling them to come over..."

...Of course, this was all a lie. Lambdadelta had turned into a small candy comet and was now shooting towards the City of Books, with Battler and Ange in tow. So, to make sure that Lambdadelta's and Battler's absences were not noticed, everyone was crowded around the arbor, pretending to argue furiously with each other...

"I firmly oppose taking a last stand that would lead to our deaths! What could possibly be gained by dying?"
"How can you be such a coward?! It is inconceivable that we should live on in shame as prisoners!"
"There are times when the mere fact of being alive gives one opportunities."
"...Yes, indeed. A short temper makes a bad leader..."
"Battler, if you call yourself a man, now's the time to act like one! The Great Lambdadelta-sama is even willing to help out, right?!"
"I agree! These are the times when a man has to make a tough decision...!"
"...In many cases, the timing of a decision is more valuable than the decision itself."
"I, if we surrender, they might not be violent..."
"You can't be serious!! Weren't you supposed to be a male lion?! Where are your fangs now?!!"
"If death awaits us regardless, I would rather die as a wolf than as a pig."
"Are you stupid?! Are you saying you want to die like a dog?!"
"...It all depends on the strength of the support Lambdadelta-san can provide..."
"Lambdadelta-san. Are your friends really strong enough to win against them...?"
"...It's a bet. Do we surrender and die, or do we lose a bet and die?"
"Interesting. In that case, our chances for survival must be higher if we take that bet."
"...An honorable surrender will surely cause the Great Court to show MERCY."
"They're backed by the Senate, aren't they? Sure, they'll hem and haw, but we'll all see the guillotine in the end."
"A, anyway, let's all calm down...! Cool your heads...! I'm opposed to letting our emotions control us!"
"Why don't you calm down first? We have another possible strategy: mutually assured destruction. We might not be able to win, but if we can convince them that we plan on taking enough of them with us, that might force our opponents to show restraint."
"So, basically, if they're determined to attack, we'll let them know we aren't going down without doing some damage first!!"
"Kihihihihihihihihi!! All of Lambdadelta's friends are incredible...!! She knows lots and lots of witches, beasts, demons and gods, all of which have really, really huge legends and histories! Even if those ships outnumbered the stars in the sky, Lambdadelta's friends would wipe them out in a single blast! Kihihihihi!!"
"...W, will this really work? She hasn't seen through our act yet, has she...?"
"It is working. You must speak more forcefully as well. Do not worry about politeness."
"Enough, you gutless swine!! Do you lack the backbone to finish with a bang?!!"
"H, h, h, hold on...! Don't forget that some of us are opposed to fighting! I think we should surrender!!"
"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Gooooooooooohda, you loser-loving foooooooooooooool!!"
"Ah, ow, ouch, Master, it's j, just an act, gyaaarrrrgghhh!!"
"Well, it looks like the debate has gotten quite heated!!"
"So, will we surrender?! Or will we fight back?! Which will it be?!"
""Nobody knows!!""
"Personally speaking, I would like to surrender. If my purpose is to come to an end in any event, I would prefer that my game board be preserved the way I made it. I could not bear to have Lady Lambdadelta continue to use it however she pleases."
"...We don't want that either. I came here to fight you, but I'm no match for Lady Lambdadelta's friends."

And, she was relieved that she hadn't pushed too hard earlier on. She wanted to flatter Beato and end this with a bloodless takeover. Even the Great Lady Lambdadelta probably wouldn't seriously think of picking a fight with the Senate. Her motive was probably something much more trivial, a simple desire to watch the game board's final fireworks from a front row seat. However, if she really did have some fireworks of her own prepared, it was at least possible that this could turn into a ruckus that Erika would have no chance of quelling.

...Beato saw all of this going on in Erika's mind. So, she continued to act with an even more pathetic expression on her face. Even among witches, her acting ability was top-notch.

"...I understand. I'd like to end this quietly too, if I can. So, how can we work together?"
"For some time now, we have been arguing over whether we should surrender or resist. I intend to return to them and propose that we surrender and ask Lady Lambdadelta not to do anything that might destroy the game board."
"That would please me very much. So, what should I do?"
"I would like you to guarantee that we have the necessary time to debate the matter. After all, your ships are surrounding and pressuring us at the moment. Everyone is so tense at the thought that we may be attacked at any time that they're falling apart. So, if you guarantee that we will have enough time to discuss this amongst ourselves, everyone will surely be able to keep their composure during that time. Furthermore, I will have enough time to convince Lady Lambdadelta."
"...Very well. About how long do you need?"
"Would you be gracious and avoid giving a specific time limit? If a time limit is imposed, everyone will just fall apart again as the limit nears, possibly leading to an agitated decision..."
"...You have a point there. The most important thing about a fuse is whether it's lit or not. The length of the fuse is a trivial matter."
"In that case, will you give us the time we need?"
"Understood. I guarantee that you will have time to discuss it. However, that time will not be unlimited. I will wait here and listen in on your discussion."
"Well, as far as that goes, it is true that your mere presence here has everyone on edge..."
"I have already made my concessions. Isn't it your turn now?"
"..."

They were some distance away from the arbor, but it was just close enough to give a general idea of what was going on. It was far enough that they just might be able to hide the fact that Battler and Lambdadelta were missing, just far enough for them to convincingly act like this was a white-hot argument in gridlock. If it were possible, they would rather have kept Erika at an even greater distance. They had planned to set up a seat of honor for their guest at one of the far corners of the garden maze...

"...Is there some sort of problem?"
"Okay, okay. Don't make such a scary face... In that case, please wait here. This is a, um, confidential conference! So, you must, uh, come no closer than this line...!"

Beato drew a line in the ground with her foot.

"Help them see me in a good light. If it's clear that I have obtained a generous agreement from you, that will be a powerful weapon in my hands in the debate."
"...Could I get a chair?"
"Y, yes, yes, of course! Chiester Troops, bring Lady Erika a chair and umbrella at once...! And a hand towel too! I'll wipe it nice and clean for you...!"
"..."
"Milady, have there been any developments in our negotiations...?"

"That's our Beatrice-sama!"
"All we can do is argue fiercely, squabble amongst ourselves, and make it look like things will turn for the worse if negotiations break down."
"Indeed. This is yet another fight to support Battler's group. Get yourselves ready, everyone. Let us argue and insult with all we have. Got it...?!"
"Mmm, mmyes, Master!"

The sight of Gohda, his cheek red and swollen from being pinched, made everyone snort, but they quickly covered their mouths and put fingers to their lips... Then, everyone nodded at each other, and the fake argument resumed. Erika was sitting in the chair that the Chiester Sisters had brought her, filling a goat in on the details of their discussions. The goats would probably return and tell the rest of the fleet. The fleet would tell Bernkastel, and Bernkastel might think of some plan to deal with this situation or give new orders.

The conversation with the goat ended, and it spun around. It would return to the dinghy and report on this to the fleet. It slipped out from a rose bush and passed through the garden maze, heading towards the door that led outside...

Is it really okay to let that goat reach the boats...? If it goes back, Erika's report will reach Bernkastel's ears... The Chiester Sisters spoke through a secret channel that only they could use.

"...It's just about to leave Erika's sphere of awareness. Estimated 10 seconds before it reaches the goat boatman's sphere, so assassination can be carried out successfully."
"Lady Beatrice, permission to assassinate. We can do it. Erika will sense nothing."
"You do not have permission. Do you think an envoy would leave their boat without setting a time limit? The fleet probably has orders to attack if it isn't contacted within a certain period of time. Let that goat go."
"00, understood."

The goat passed through the door. Then, after receiving a silent bow from Shannon and Kanon, it got on the dinghy and returned to the fleet. The fleet would probably follow Erika's orders and stand by until an attack order was given. That gave the residents of the Golden Land a chance to assassinate Erika, but of course, that wasn't going to be possible, practically speaking. She was Bernkastel's greatest underling, and a witch who controlled truth. Tricking her was all they could hope for. Anything else would be overconfident...

"...You need have no worries about us."

Without any hint that she had just been talking about assassinations, 00 stood upright with her hands clasped behind her back... Surrender, or resist until the end. The false argument resumed. Just how far and how long would they be able to trick Erika? Yes. The final fight for the Golden Land... had already begun.

"...Battler. You can count on us to handle things here. It's time for you and Ange to take this final game back...!"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

...Before today, I didn't know that this image was the thing I wanted most out of this LP. But here we are.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The fact that the original art didn't render Erika's pirate hat is enough to justify the PS3 art by itself.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rune Full Moon posted:

Additionally, "Yoshiya" is a common Japanese transliteration of the name "Yeshua," or Jesus, and apparently Sayo's name can also be read as "Shaddai" (not as sure about that one), which can be translated as either "god of the wilderness" (and Beatrice is associated with the forest surrounding the mansion), "destroyer" (self-explanatory), and... "pair of breasts"/a fertility goddess :tinfoil:

Those are the possible etymologies, but if "Yoshiya" is like "Yeshua", then it seems important to say that "Shaddai," whatever it "means," is one of the titles of the god of Israel. "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am El Shaddai; walk before me, and be thou perfect."

Oh, and Bibles invented red text: some have everything The Lord/Yeshua says printed in red.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

"...W, will this really work? She hasn't seen through our act yet, has she...?"
"It is working. You must speak more forcefully as well. Do not worry about politeness."
"Enough, you gutless swine!! Do you lack the backbone to finish with a bang?!!"
"H, h, h, hold on...! Don't forget that some of us are opposed to fighting! I think we should surrender!!"
"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Gooooooooooohda, you loser-loving foooooooooooooool!!"
"Ah, ow, ouch, Master, it's j, just an act, gyaaarrrrgghhh!!"

[...]

The sight of Gohda, his cheek red and swollen from being pinched, made everyone snort, but they quickly covered their mouths and put fingers to their lips...

This is good. Good-a.

Actually I'm surprised there weren't more jokes made over, shall we say, the psychological gap between these two.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Speaking of names and coincidences, I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I've discovered that there's something called Shannon's number. It's chessboard related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I just watched these motion comics and there's a scene where Jessica and Shannon are talking about Kanon, and now that I think about it, I'm amazed Jessica hasn't thought back on those days and double-died of embarrassment. I guess Sayo really is supposed to be a naturally gifted actor, but that's some Mission Impossible 2-level poo poo. Or at least like, a Shakespeare comedy.

• Locked thread