Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Iron Man does not deserve his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All the best superheroes are Australian.

Still gonna wait on the director's cut for Justice League, I'm guessing it's BvS all over again; cut to a near incoherent mess, still makes a ton of money despite critics complaining it's not the movie they pictured in their heads, and they'll keep on making DC superhero movies regardless.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Still gonna wait on the director's cut for Justice League, I'm guessing it's BvS all over again; cut to a near incoherent mess, still makes a ton of money despite critics complaining it's not the movie they pictured in their heads, and they'll keep on making DC superhero movies regardless.

Well except BvS appears to have poisoned the well, and it’s currently looking at a sub-$100m domestic US opening (and foreign isn’t looking much better), which is good for most films but not when your break even is somewhere near the $700m mark- it’s looking to be a financial flop unless it has substantially better legs than most films, and if the drop-off is like BvS’s it’s looking like disaster territory (and there’s little reason to think it’s going to get amazing word of mouth, especially given competition over the next few weeks).

But it’s also a troubled production that was put together before the last WB reshuffle, and they’ve done well otherwise this year, so yeah they’re gonna keep going with DC movies regardless.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LGD posted:

Well except BvS appears to have poisoned the well, and it’s currently looking at a sub-$100m domestic US opening (and foreign isn’t looking much better)

gently caress, that'd be the lowest opening of all the DCEU films. It's maybe $40 million less than Suicide Squad's opening weekend. :stonk:

Edit: looks like updated projections have it making maybe $118 million but that'd still be $15m less than Suicide Squad and $48m less than BvS.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 18, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Inescapable Duck posted:

BvS didn't make a ton of money by the standards of 250 million dollar major franchise tent-pole superhero films with enormous advertising campaigns; $1billion+ is a ton of money, $875 million is just okay. There's a reason WB panicked and started rewriting JL and cancelling part 2 after BvS came out, and it wasn't because they give a gently caress what critics think, it was because it had a 69% second weekend drop in ticket sales and godawful public word of mouth.

What's interesting is that this negative reaction didn't cross over to Wonder Woman, but did cross over to Justice League, which indicates that there probably will be more DCEU films, but if they don't scrap their larger plan and cut loose Zach Snyder and his whole aesthetic, they're nuts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

What's interesting is that this negative reaction didn't cross over to Wonder Woman, but did cross over to Justice League, which indicates that there probably will be more DCEU films, but if they don't scrap their larger plan and cut loose Zach Snyder and his whole aesthetic, they're nuts.

Wonder Woman is quite faithful to Zack Snyder's aesthetic.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BvS didn't make a ton of money by the standards of 250 million dollar major franchise tent-pole superhero films with enormous advertising campaigns; $1billion+ is a ton of money, $875 million is just okay. There's a reason WB panicked and started rewriting JL and cancelling part 2 after BvS came out, and it wasn't because they give a gently caress what critics think, it was because it had a 69% second weekend drop in ticket sales and godawful public word of mouth.

They need to just turn the franchise over to Patty Jenkins.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In favour of what, though by who? Much though they'd like you to believe it, the Marvel formula isn't lightning in a bottle and the exec who drops the guy bringing in 800+ million for another run at Green Lantern better be really sure they know what they're doing.

e: ^ Wonder Woman 2 is the film to watch, certainly. Though Snyder was still very much involved in WW.

Unrelated, they should get Rachel Talaley in to do a DC movie.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

Wonder Woman is quite faithful to Zack Snyder's aesthetic.

Eh, about half-faithful, just enough to fit with the rest of the movies and not be jarring.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snyder's pretty clearly not coming back for personal reasons, but the aesthetic thing is odd. Wonder Woman keeps a general Snyder-ish aesthetic and, like you said, was well-received. Suicide Squad is the biggest aesthetic departure from MOS/BVS. So who knows where they'll go from here. I am interested in what James Wan's Aquaman film will look like.

Edit: beaten

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 18, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think there's going to be a Justice League directors cut. The director resigned before the movie was finished.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think there's going to be a Justice League directors cut. The director resigned before the movie was finished.

Maybe they'll do one ala "The Donner Cut".

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

josh04 posted:

In favour of what, though by who? Much though they'd like you to believe it, the Marvel formula isn't lightning in a bottle and the exec who drops the guy bringing in 800+ million for another run at Green Lantern better be really sure they know what they're doing.
Anybody good? The lesson from WW is to just make a good superhero movie, ANY good superhero movie, at an appropriate price-point. The whole concept of a Marvel "formula" is really overblown, considering that Marvel just let the kiwi-Vampire guy turn Thor 3 into a straight-up comedy that looks like a 70's van painting which opened to $122 million on a little over half of JL's budget.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's nothing incoherent about Justice League. If anything it's too straightforward and simple, it hits the exact beats you expect and doesn't try anything interesting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The whole concept of a Marvel "formula" is really overblown, considering that Marvel just let the kiwi-Vampire guy turn Thor 3 into a straight-up comedy that looks like a 70's van painting which opened to $122 million on a little over half of JL's budget.

Most of the Marvel movies are comedies, that’s actually the Marvel “formula.”

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the Marvel formula is a basic 3 act story, amd whenever something gets serious, insert a joke to offset it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

They already cut Snyder loose, as best I can tell. WB seems to have written off JL as the last gasp of the old DCEU, if recent reporting is accurate.

The DCEU will probably be fine in the long run, if WW is any indication. I’m just curious to see which films beyond Aquaman, Shazam and WW2 get made (I refuse to believe that three films starring Harley Quinn *and* a Deadshot spinoff are all going to happen), whether they recast Batman, etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Barry Convex posted:

They already cut Snyder loose, as best I can tell. WB seems to have written off JL as the last gasp of the old DCEU, if recent reporting is accurate.

The DCEU will probably be fine in the long run, if WW is any indication. I’m just curious to see which films beyond Aquaman, Shazam and WW2 get made (I refuse to believe that three films starring Harley Quinn *and* a Deadshot spinoff are all going to happen), whether they recast Batman, etc.

Suicide Squad 2 is a thing that's happening with Gavin O'Connor set as the director and writer. Rumors suggest it will be the film to introduce Black Adam as well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Booster gold movie make it happen warner

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Harley Quinn is literally a gold mine. For some reason that character design really resonates with girls, tons of people dressed up as her for Halloween even if they were unfamiliar with the character. They could totally pull that off again.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Suicide Squad definitely seemed to do well with people who aren't just White Male Nerd, so they should probably try to keep that going.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It has a more diverse cast than just about any other comic movie except maybe Guardians.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It has a more diverse cast than just about any other comic movie except maybe Guardians.

Yeah that rated super high in the 6 quadrants: male and female, over and under 25s, tree people and furries.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I dunno, there were obviously extenuating circumstances, it's not like he left because he was disgusted with the way things were going or whatever.

I can see him not caring to revisit this period because of all the bad memories but then again when it's your daughter where they hell do you go to escape that?

Dude does love his work, I can see him at some point agreeing to do one to try and realize what he set out to do since at least BvS. There might be so much post-production work to do on his footage tho that it outweighs the costs benefit tho? I don't know how that works. Otherwise it does make sense for the studio to put out a recut version to sell the same movie to fans two or three times.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno, there were obviously extenuating circumstances, it's not like he left because he was disgusted with the way things were going or whatever.

The rumor is that the rough cut had too much Evil Superman and the execs popped off. So Snyder brought in Whedon to help soften it up, but his daughter died so he turned the whole thing over to Whedon and walked away.

This is somewhat supported by the fact that Superman's stuff beyond clowning the Justice League after his Resurrection and ALL of his dialogue beyond one scene is ALL reshoots. He had a massively different arc, that much is obvious.

Anyway look at what they've done with Blade Runner and Army of Darkness, if they think there is an audience there I'm sure they'll do it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 19, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Anyway look at what they've done with Blade Runner and Army of Darkness, if they think there is an audience there I'm sure they'll do it.

I think the most obvious parallel to draw is the Donner cut of Superman II.

quote:

Original production

Production on Superman II was commenced simultaneously with Superman at Pinewood Studios in London under the direction of Richard Donner in April 1977. However, due to the expensive budget and overlong shooting schedule of both features, producers Alexander and Ilya Salkind agreed to a negative pickup deal with Warner Bros. granting the studio rights to foreign distribution and television airings in exchange for more financing. This deal caused the Salkinds and producer Pierre Spengler to blame Donner for the various delays, leading to intense arguments. To ease the tension, the Salkinds hired Richard Lester—who had previously directed The Three Musketeers (1973) and The Four Musketeers (1974) for the Salkinds—as an uncredited line producer and intermediary on Superman.

In August 1977, with shooting lasting a year over schedule, Lester convinced Donner to halt production on Superman II in order for Donner to concentrate on finishing the first film in time for a Christmas release. However, this decision did not affect scenes featuring Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty, and Valerie Perrine as they were all under contract to finish both pictures. After their scenes wrapped in October 1977, Superman II was officially put on hiatus.

On March 15, 1979, shortly after the release of Superman, the Salkinds replaced Donner with Lester for Superman II. The exact reasoning and details behind Donner's departure are still debated. In his 2006 DVD commentary for Superman II, Spengler claims that Donner was indeed invited back to finish the sequel, but that Donner refused, telling Army Archerd in a March 1978 interview for Variety magazine that he would not be returning to direct as long as Spengler was acting producer. However, Donner told Starlog in 1989 that he was not invited back and that he did not know production had continued on the sequel until he received a telegram from the Salkinds telling him: "Your services are no longer needed."

The decision to replace Donner was controversial amongst the cast and crew. Creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz and editor Stuart Baird declined to return for the sequel in support of Donner; however, Mankiewicz was still credited for the sequel. Gene Hackman also declined to return for re-shoots due to his commitment on Reds and was replaced by a body double. Actor Marlon Brando, who finished all his scenes for both films early into production, successfully sued the Salkinds for $50 million over grossed profits gained from the first film. In response, the Salkinds cut Brando from Superman II, replacing his scenes with actress Susannah York. John Williams also did not return as composer for Superman II due to scheduling commitments with Lucasfilm. The film's score used Williams's themes from the first film, adapted by composer Ken Thorne, who had worked with Lester many times before, including on the 1965 Beatles film Help!.

Production on Superman II officially recommenced with Richard Lester as director on June 1, 1979. Originally, the Salkinds considered Guy Hamilton for director, but he declined. On the first day of filming, set designer John Barry suddenly collapsed on the nearby set of The Empire Strikes Back and died from meningitis. Peter Murton was then hired in Barry's place. Principal photography resumed at Pinewood Studios with a revised screenplay written by David and Leslie Newman. The new script featured several newly conceived scenes including the Eiffel Tower opening sequence and Clark rescuing Lois at Niagara Falls. However, under strict guidelines from the Directors Guild of America, Lester needed to re-shoot several scenes Donner had already completed in order to receive full directorial credit. Location shooting took place in Canada, Paris, Norway and St Lucia, and the Metropolis scenes—in contrast to the first film where they were filmed on location in New York—were filmed entirely on the back lot at Pinewood. Superman II finally finished filming on March 10, 1980.

Due to budgetary reasons and actors being unavailable, key scenes filmed by Donner were added to the final film. Since the Lester footage was shot two years later, continuity errors are present in the physique and styling of stars Margot Kidder and Christopher Reeve. In Donner's footage, Reeve appears less bulked as he was still gaining muscle for the part. Kidder also has dramatic changes throughout; in the montage of Lester-Donner material, shot inside the Daily Planet and the Fortress of Solitude near the movie's conclusion, her hairstyle, hair color, and even make-up are all inconsistent. Kidder's physical appearance in the Lester footage is noticeably different; during the scenes shot for Donner she appears slender, whereas in the Lester footage she looks thinner.

Stuff like bringing in another director prior to the first leaving, having to replace/pad out the score, some actors not being able to do reshoots, changes in physique, and a revised screenplay all sound very similar to what happened here. The obvious big difference is the reason for the director leaving. Donner was forced out, Snyder left after a tragedy.

As a reminder of how long these things can take, while the TV cut added in about 17 minutes of mostly Donner shot footage, we didn't get the actual Richard Donner cut of the movie for 26 years. And even then they had to take some of Lester's shot, some new visual effects and a screen test of Reeve and Kidder to get the thing completed. That's probably about where the Snyder cut is at the moment. You could probably make most of a movie out of it, but to really make it work you'd need to do some more VFX stuff and maybe even still use some of Whedon's footage. And it should also be pointed out that Superman II, even with all of it's production troubles, is still a movie that most people really like. Justice League is alright at best and it will take a very long time, if ever, for a re-evaluation of BvS (i do think it's already happening for Man of Steel).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The rumor is that the rough cut had too much Evil Superman and the execs popped off. So Snyder brought in Whedon to help soften it up, but his daughter died so he turned the whole thing over to Whedon and walked away.

This is somewhat supported by the fact that Superman's stuff beyond clowning the Justice League after his Resurrection and ALL of his dialogue beyond one scene is ALL reshoots. He had a massively different arc, that much is obvious.

There are multiple versions of Army of Darkness?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Anybody good? The lesson from WW is to just make a good superhero movie, ANY good superhero movie, at an appropriate price-point. The whole concept of a Marvel "formula" is really overblown, considering that Marvel just let the kiwi-Vampire guy turn Thor 3 into a straight-up comedy that looks like a 70's van painting which opened to $122 million on a little over half of JL's budget.

If it were as simple as instructing people that the movie they make ought to be "good" then there'd be a lot more good movies.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Harley Quinn is literally a gold mine. For some reason that character design really resonates with girls, tons of people dressed up as her for Halloween even if they were unfamiliar with the character.

Let me give you the inside scoop: it's because she's cool as hell

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

josh04 posted:

If it were as simple as instructing people that the movie they make ought to be "good" then there'd be a lot more good movies.

Yes, obviously, but the point I was making was that the creation of commercially successful and well received superhero movies isn't something that rests on Zach Snyder's shoulders alone because A) he's 1 for 3 for his last three at this point and B) it's something that a lot of first time superhero movie directors have been handling for years.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

josh04 posted:

Right, you also have to focus on setting the Quality to High. Can't forget that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

got any sevens posted:

There are multiple versions of Army of Darkness?

Apparently, there are four!

http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/army_of_darkness_different_versions.html

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's so many alternate scenes and lost scenes and refilmed scenes in the Evil Dead series that even though I've seen them all a dozen times I have absolutely no sense of what the hell was in what movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Some brave mother fucker leaked deleted JL footage https://vimeo.com/user74470478

Keeps on uploading more and more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not brave. People do it all the time for every big nerd movie that's out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok, some not brave mother fucker leaked deleted JL footage: https://vimeo.com/user74470478

Think he's done uploading now though. I posted this in in the JL thread, but seems like Cyborg would have had a lot more character building. Lines up with Snyder saying Victor's story was going to be the heart of the film. Dang.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Some person who might be brave in another situation that calls for bravery but not really in this totally normal situation etc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe I should have used "reckless" instead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I read your first post as tongue in cheek re: the brave part, but I guess ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's the same thing you see in a dumpster fire video game production. These people are trying to save their careers by throwing the studio under the bus for such ridiculous and unrealistic demands. It's been very entertaining and it'll be interesting to see how the studio reactions and what they do next. If they do anything at all.

• Locked thread