Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

Matsuri posted:

I'm playing standard right now, so I don't know how relevant that is-- or how well my deck would fare in expanded.

The image you posted has Gardevoir Spirit Link and Hoopa-Ex, both of which are expanded-only. Are you sure you're doing standard? The ptcgo client sometimes switches to expanded on its own, buggy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

in expanded if you go second you can hit for 240 damage on the first turn and thats with a deck thats not even that good

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

DarciisFyer posted:

The image you posted has Gardevoir Spirit Link and Hoopa-Ex, both of which are expanded-only. Are you sure you're doing standard? The ptcgo client sometimes switches to expanded on its own, buggy like that.

I'm sure. I'd never pick expanded if I didn't build a deck specifically for the format. Though that Night March deck didn't seem like it'd be too hard to put together. I already got myself a Shaymin-EX thinking it was in standard but again, dumb beginner mistake. Just need a couple more and maybe a Lele eventually.

Still, that's pretty messed up.

I AM THE MOON posted:

in expanded if you go second you can hit for 240 damage on the first turn and thats with a deck thats not even that good

What deck is that? I'm intrigued.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Matsuri posted:

Probsbly night march.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Matsuri posted:

Sounds like Mega Rayquaza, which does 30 damage for each Pokemon on your bench (these decks play sky field which let you bench up to 8 'mons) and can Mega-Evolve on the first turn that it's played.

It used to be a top tier deck but it's not in a very good spot in the current meta due to being hit for weakness by Night March's main attacker (Joltik), Sudowoodo GRI being a popular tech choice that cripples the deck's damage output (Sudowoodo limits your opponents bench to four while it is in play), and getting completely dumpstered by Necrozma.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm.

So say I want to build an anti-meta deck for standard. I assume I'd load it up with Alolan Ninetales, maybe Regice, Glaceon-EX... and what else?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Hmmm.

So say I want to build an anti-meta deck for standard. I assume I'd load it up with Alolan Ninetales, maybe Regice, Glaceon-EX... and what else?

I don't really play Standard enough to offer much advice I'm afraid. If you're going with a Water deck though there's a bunch of Lapras cards that are good at helping you set up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Matsuri posted:

Hmmm.

I posted a decklist earlier here, it's worked well for me. My main advice is get 2 regular A-Ninetails, one GX, and, this is crucial, a Manaphy EX. That free retreat turns Guzma into one of the best cards in your deck. Regice is gonna be super niche, only really useful against about half of the meta (Darkrai will tear that poor bastard in half). I'd rather use that slot for something like Tauros GX. Lapras GX is a trap, but Errand Running Lapras from BREAKpoint is decent filler, and I'd recommend 1 of either it or Oranguru, depending on if you have more trouble early or late game.

I've also considered Drampa GX since I'm using 4 double-colorless anyways, but it hasn't really appealed.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I posted a decklist earlier here, it's worked well for me. My main advice is get 2 regular A-Ninetails, one GX, and, this is crucial, a Manaphy EX. That free retreat turns Guzma into one of the best cards in your deck. Regice is gonna be super niche, only really useful against about half of the meta (Darkrai will tear that poor bastard in half). I'd rather use that slot for something like Tauros GX. Lapras GX is a trap, but Errand Running Lapras from BREAKpoint is decent filler, and I'd recommend 1 of either it or Oranguru, depending on if you have more trouble early or late game.

I've also considered Drampa GX since I'm using 4 double-colorless anyways, but it hasn't really appealed.

Hm! I think I can manage to put that together. I pulled a secret rare Counter Energy and a Guzzlord-GX today, so maybe those will be good trade fodder for the Tauros-GX, Alolan Ninetales-GX, and the Manaphy-EX. (Or full-art Toxapex-GX, I have that too). Unless any of those are really good and should be kept.

Meanwhile, one of my challenges for the day was to KO 5 pokemon with a grass-type... but I have no grass-type in my theme decks, so I had to throw something together for standard instead. I think I may have frustrated someone who was running all Alolan Exeggutor-GXs and Tapu Lele-GXs against a deck that had Golisopod and Alolan Ninetales in it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 19, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You'd have to ask someone else about that. I thiiiink Darkrai might run Guzzlord GX, but don't quote me on that.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Chuch posted:

Sounds like Mega Rayquaza, which does 30 damage for each Pokemon on your bench (these decks play sky field which let you bench up to 8 'mons) and can Mega-Evolve on the first turn that it's played.

It used to be a top tier deck but it's not in a very good spot in the current meta due to being hit for weakness by Night March's main attacker (Joltik), Sudowoodo GRI being a popular tech choice that cripples the deck's damage output (Sudowoodo limits your opponents bench to four while it is in play), and getting completely dumpstered by Necrozma.

yea

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me, or do you have a higher chance of having to mulligan the higher your winning streak is? I had to mulligan 5 loving times last round until I got a basic and got loving trampled by the unbalance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Is it just me, or do you have a higher chance of having to mulligan the higher your winning streak is? I had to mulligan 5 loving times last round until I got a basic and got loving trampled by the unbalance.
Confirmation bias, probably. Ideally, you try to build to account for worst-case scenarios like that as best you can. Or rather, to maximize your number of playable hands.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I guess. It's just kinda hard when you have so few basics in your deck.

Meanwhile, I finished the deck you suggested and it's pretty fun to play late at night.

Who will win?

a team overflowing with GX dudes

or

one snowy boy

(spoilers, it was the snowy boy)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finally got all the cards together for a Garbodor/Dramp GX deck. Here we go!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

(spoilers, it was the snowy boy)
On one hand, that always feels great.

On the other, did he just... not think to use his Type Null?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

On one hand, that always feels great.

On the other, did he just... not think to use his Type Null?

He did. He switched to it and hit me, and I healed with Lana and hit the Null twice to kill it. All he had left were GX Pokemon. The way he was enthusiastically evolving all of them was really dumb in hindsight, he knew Alolan Ninetales was right there and I could switch to it anytime thanks to Manaphy. It's like "what were you even trying to accomplish with all of those?". I had Alolan Ninetales GX on the bench as well, so I would have won by killing that Gumshoos GX with 180 damage by using that one to hit it on the bench.

Instead, he just scooped. All the same.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just got 8 Crimson Invasion pack codes from a friend who buys cardboard but doesn't play online. Anything worthwhile in the set, or should I just start trading them away for whatever I kinda want?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been playing as much lately but it seems like the only really worthwhile pulls are the Ultra Beasts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fun moments, having it come down to one prize each against a Staraptor deck, with my Tauros-GX only surviving to make the final knockout blow because of the HP boost from the Fighting Fury Belt I drew the turn before.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

or should I just start trading them away for whatever I kinda want?

This is pretty much always the right answer.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

What’s the best bang for my buck with poke coins in the shop? Decks I presume? If so which should I prioritize getting and if not what is?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

numerrik posted:

What’s the best bang for my buck with poke coins in the shop? Decks I presume? If so which should I prioritize getting and if not what is?

Guardians Rising packs or wait until Ultra Prism next month.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I seem to play with people at my FLGS that really don't like the fact that I have Tapu Lele or Zoroark-GX.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Because Tapu Lele is an overpriced card with a bullshit broken effect that fits in any deck :v:

It's basically the Pokemon equivalent of being able to use Wheel of Fortune for free, every turn, with phyrexian mana (except it doesn't hurt you), and can do even more.

Frankly it's a big part of the reason why I don't really play PTCGO anymore. Having that much control over card advantage is just ridiculously busted.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

numerrik posted:

The Ninetails deck makes a solid core for a really decent competitive deck. I posted my list a bit earlier.

I'm looking at making an Alolan Exeggcutor / Venusaur deck IRL, with Tapu Bulu as a wall. The Shining Genesect version is pretty much uniformly better, but if I go Expanded, I can do silly things like use the Plasma Exeggcute that goes back to your hand when you discard it.

Anything else that going Expanded lets me get away with? (Aside from obvious staples like VS Seeker.) I'd like to emphasize the bench-attack gimmick if I can.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Expanded, this month's Versus reward card is Shaymin-EX. May as well get a jump on that if you don't already have those.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

After spending $20 on Crimson Invasion pack codes and getting stomped in Expanded a couple times, I went back to basics, crawled back to Standard, and hammered out a really fun little gimmick deck.

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Alolan Exeggutor-GX
* 2 Bulbasaur SLG
* 2 Ivysaur SLG
* 2 Venusaur SLG
* 2 Exeggcute CIN
* 4 Tapu Bulu-GX

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 1 Hala
* 1 Lillie
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 1 Energy Retrieval
* 3 Wally
* 2 N
* 2 Professor's Letter
* 1 Acerola
* 2 Wishful Baton
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 1 Evosoda
* 1 Weakness Policy
* 1 Field Blower
* 2 Guzma
* 2 Max Elixir
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 2 Escape Rope
* 2 Professor Kukui

##Energy - 12

* 12 Grass Energy

The game plan is pretty simple: Open with Tapu Bulu, stall and beat faces for long enough to get Venusaur on-board and start powering up Exeggutor to absolutely flatten targets of opportunity.

Usually, I use Bulu's GX attack, but Exeggutor's is also good for holding onto momentum when I see a kill incoming. Wishful Baton absolutely pulls its weight, getting up to 3 energy off of a Bulu onto an Exeggutor is fantastic (though I can just Nature's Judgment for 180 when I don't get it), and I really wish I had more Evosoda. I'm gonna be sad when it rotates. Garbodor isn't actually a huge deal, it's just one more energy and a bit more focus on my Bulus. Right now my biggest obstacle is Ninetails/Hoopa, though that's rather unsurprising. My only real option is to try and attack with Venusaur, which is both sad and kind of useless. For the most part, I've just been accepting that I will now be beaten handily by the deck I played previously. It's the circle of life, or something.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 13, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Double posting because this thread isn't allowed to die yet. I finally started theorycrafting after seeing the Lucario and Garchomp from Prism, and I think I have an idea for a deck. Expanded. My goal, without question, is to get Garchomp attacking on Turn 2 for 200 damage, and then again every turn after. So, here's my deck plan.

Pokemon: 14
4 Gible (UP)
1 Gabite (UP)
4 Garchomp (UP)
2 Riolu (UP)
2 Lucario (UP)
1 Drampa-GX

- The Ultra Prism versions of all these cards are actually super good. 1 Gabite just in case of de-evolution shenanigans. Lucario isn't there to hit things, he's there to set up even more Garchomps. 1 Drampa-GX acts as an occassional wall, and Big Wheel GX is a good way to recycle a wet fart of a hand (since I'm not using the GX attack for anything else).

Supporters: 11
4 Cynthia
1 Guzma
1 Hex Maniac
4 Korrina
1 N

- Yes, that's all. Ideally, I want to set up on Turn 1 and then spend every turn after using Cynthia. That means any other Supporter needs to be good enough to justify not using Cynthia, which mostly just means set-up supporters. 1 Guzma and 1 Hex Maniac get in there just for the possibility of a super clutch kill (Garchomp's free retreat cost is honestly a little unfair). Korrina is honestly the god-play on Turn 1, especially if I go first, because I can rip a Garchomp and a Rare Candy and pray they don't play N go to town. 1 N of our own for a little hand disruption, if needed.

No Sycamore/Juniper because there is (ideally) nothing extraneous in this deck. Nothing really wants to be discarded, not when it can be shuffled in.

Trainers: 24
2 Choice Band
2 Field Blower
2 Float Stone
1 Master Ball
4 Rare Candy
2 Silent Lab
1 Special Charge
2 Timer Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
4 VS Seeker

- First, 4 VS Seekers. I do it right, that's 4 extra Cynthias (or Guzma or whatever). 2 Field Blower because of course. Choice Band is needed over Muscle Band for a OHKO on Gardevoir and Golisipod, which makes it win out over Muscle Band, but it's not a staple that I just justify playing more than 2 of. 2 Float Stones for Lucario and Drampa so I can get them out without wasting an energy or my Guzma. 4 Rare Candy. Yes, it's excessive. No, I don't care. I need that fucker by T2, and I'm very likely of using 2-3 in a game, I'm running 4.

Special Charge gets me back some precious DCEs, and with Cynthia, 'shuffle into deck' is a non-issue. Silent Lab is a tech choice for Stadium, neutering everything from Shaymin to Tapu Lele to Darkrai. No Ultra Ball, I've already mentioned why above, and Lucario does the job fine, but 2 Timer Ball are in to get him and/or Garchomp into my hand. Master Ball is the obvious Ace Spec for similar reasons (and because I don't want to spend $50 on a Computer Search).

Energy: 11
7 Fighting Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

4 DCEs is obvious. I keep going back and forth between 6 and 7 Fighting Energy. If I go down to 6, the extra slot will probably be filled by an Energy Retrieval. Double Dragon Energy is mostly useless for Garchomp, and it's kept to DCE for the rare occasion when Drampa needs to dropkick a motherfucker.

Help me theorycraft this pile into "throw a sharkdragon for 200+ damage every turn for the rest of forever". Maybe finding room for a Shaymin as well as/instead of Drampa? Obviously, what I really want is Tapu Lele but I'm not spending $50 on a piece of cardboard before I know the deck really needs it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 17, 2018

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Should I go in for a third prerelease event Saturday or should I save that money for the may prerelease?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Depends on if you're going just to go or for card value. Cynthia is gonna be a hot ticket pretty much immediately, so pulling a full-art now could be your best value for it for a long time.

If you're playing the long game, I'd bet actually real life money that the water version of Palkia GX coming out in May is going to blow the gently caress up in Expanded. (And for the few glorious months before rotation.)

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

PMush Perfect posted:

Depends on if you're going just to go or for card value. Cynthia is gonna be a hot ticket pretty much immediately, so pulling a full-art now could be your best value for it for a long time.

If you're playing the long game, I'd bet actually real life money that the water version of Palkia GX coming out in May is going to blow the gently caress up in Expanded. (And for the few glorious months before rotation.)

I was going to go just to play and have fun, but it turns out I’m rescheduled to work Saturday so I’ll only be going for a second time Sunday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I got three Cynthia and three Garchomp at prerelease tonight. More importantly, though, I got a full art Pheromosa AND Leafeon.

Now to trade them away before the set comes out for real and the price tanks.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Any advice for getting started in the paper version of Pokemon? I was always a Magic player myself, but apparently this is what all my daughter's friends are into. Is there an equivalent of the "here's a giant pile of commons for not much money" deals that there used to be for Magic, or does the rarity system not work the same way?

Also, are there starter/learning packs that aren't a complete rip-off? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Any advice for getting started in the paper version of Pokemon? I was always a Magic player myself, but apparently this is what all my daughter's friends are into. Is there an equivalent of the "here's a giant pile of commons for not much money" deals that there used to be for Magic, or does the rarity system not work the same way?

Also, are there starter/learning packs that aren't a complete rip-off? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

The 2 player starter is good for learning and that's it, so I'd skip it. And playing commons only isn't great either, since Pokemon is weighted towards the higher rarity for power, due to how evolution works.

That said, Next week is the release of the next set Ultra Prism, and both pre con decks are pretty good. The garchomp one especially, buy two and you have a cheap deck that just needs a few more staples to be competitive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, both the Garchomp and Empoleon decks are going to be super, super solid once you use the two-into-one ttrick.

Once I get home, I'll look at the deck lists and say what I'd do with each.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've been finding more enjoyment in playing theme decks in PTCGO lately because I don't feel like investing a ton of money in virtual cards so I can deal with Tapu Lele city. I'm looking forward to new ones; I already have 1000 coins saved up to snag them if they appeal to me.

I also, for fun, checked out Expanded using my Standard deck. Is it weird that I have an easier time there? It feels like while Standard is Spike city, Expanded is just full of weird Johnny decks that I can push my way through.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

I've been finding more enjoyment in playing theme decks in PTCGO lately because I don't feel like investing a ton of money in virtual cards so I can deal with Tapu Lele city. I'm looking forward to new ones; I already have 1000 coins saved up to snag them if they appeal to me.

I also, for fun, checked out Expanded using my Standard deck. Is it weird that I have an easier time there? It feels like while Standard is Spike city, Expanded is just full of weird Johnny decks that I can push my way through.
Not at all weird if you're still in the one star rank, lots of people just want to play with the cards they have and Expanded lets them do that.

Theme Deck being a format in TCGO is one of the best decisions they've ever made.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Double Post: I got bored at lunch, here's the Garchomp one now.

Mach 2
(Assembled using only two Mach Strike theme decks)

Pokemon (18)
4x Gible
4x Gabite
4x Garchomp
2x Riolu
2x Lucario
2x Spiritomb
Garchomp is the core of your deck. Lucario is great as well, letting you get the things you need. Spiritomb can stall or fetch your Cynthia back.

Trainers (28)
4x Cynthia
4x Hau
4x Professor Kukui

2x Big Malasada
2x Escape Board
4x Nest Ball
2x Pal Pad
2x Rescue Stretcher
4x Timer Ball

Your lack of other supporters hurts, but Cynthia is great and Kukui is solid, too, so they'll make due.

Pal Pad, Escape Board, Rescue Stretcher, and Big Malasada are just good cards, no excuses needed there. Nest Ball is pure filler, but at least it gets itself out of your deck easily. Timer Ball can be great or hot garbage, depending on your luck, but it's better than nothing.

Energy (14)
14x Fighting Energy

Without any ways to search out or recover Energy, I leaned a little heavy on it.

And there's a totally playable pile, no singles shopping needed. But what if you want to?

Adding Budget Staples

This is a relatively solid deck, but it could be shored up a lot very easily. Adding only cards that you can probably get from people just having them lying around or from shops with bulk singles, (only cards that cost less than $1 each and worthwhile in many decks), get your hands on...

2x Choice Band
3x Field Blower
2x N (Supporter)
2x Professor Sycamore
2x Professor's Letter
4x Rare Candy
4x Ultra Ball
4x Double Colorless Energy

Add those in, and remove...

-3 Gabite
-4 Hau
-‎2 Professor Kukui
-‎4 Nest Ball
-‎4 Timer Ball
-‎6 Fighting Energy

Rare Candy will be much faster than raw Gabite most of the time. Keeping 1 because of the evolution attack is probably enough, though I could see pulling an energy for a second one. N and Sycamore are in just about every deck, though they'll both be rotating out in September. Choice Band will let you hit EX and GX Pokemon much harder, and those are usually the ones that will be surviving a 200 damage Garchomp hit. Field Blower gets rid of Stadiums and Tools, another staple. And with Double Colorless Energy, you can have a Garchomp ready to swing in two turns.

It's not a perfect deck, there's lots of little 1-ofs I want to recommend, but for something you put together for like $30, it'll be drat solid, both as a deck and as a teaching tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I might stream this game Thursday or Friday, I have 77 boosters to open and several evo packs

• Locked thread