Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Moreover, it's like anything else: when available reserves get tapped out enough for the price to go up, reserves increase because now it's economical to mine deposits that previously weren't worth it. The big US mine has restarted production precisely for this reason.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/americas-only-rare-earth-metals-mine-gears-up/

The US is now the leading petroleum producer in the world. Because we reduced producing petroleum when other places did it cheaper, and then prices rose, and it became economical for us to start producing again.

This, no one has any idea how much of anything that has not turned hugely scarce in recent times there is. There was a lot of talk about quite a few rare earth minerals, but for the most part they turned out pretty common when someone got to poking around.

Likely makes more sense to worry about copper, there's a lot of it, but the horizon for known reserves isn't that far away, and it is one that has been looked for quite a bit already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

IDO (initial dysprosium offering)

The dysprosium diaspora will be decisively disposed the day that dastardly dystopia dawns.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

This, no one has any idea how much of anything that has not turned hugely scarce in recent times there is. There was a lot of talk about quite a few rare earth minerals, but for the most part they turned out pretty common when someone got to poking around.

Likely makes more sense to worry about copper, there's a lot of it, but the horizon for known reserves isn't that far away, and it is one that has been looked for quite a bit already.

It likely makes more sense to worry about stuff that we don't even know we need yet, like whatever turns out to be the scarcest material in mass-produced quantum computers and the next generation of electric battery technology

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hey a webcomic I read recently made that point, that if society moves into post-scarcity, it'll find a new basic commodity we don't have enough of.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Clown blood.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Phanatic posted:

The US is now the leading petroleum producer in the world. Because we reduced producing petroleum when other places did it cheaper, and then prices rose, and it became economical for us to start producing again.

Isn't a lot of that funded by massive capital investment and loans, but yielding actual net losses? I'm pretty sure the shale oil industry is pretty BWM.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Rare earths are "rare" because they are almost always found alongside natural uranium and thorium that, once separated, needs to be disposed of as radioactive waste, at great expense (at least in the US and Canada, China handles it... differently...). There are plenty of good mines all over the place, but radiophobic regulatory requirements make them uneconomical.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Isn't a lot of that funded by massive capital investment and loans, but yielding actual net losses? I'm pretty sure the shale oil industry is pretty BWM.

It was profitable at $100 a barrel, less so at $40-$50 and definitely not at $30.

The CapEx discussion comes up because production falls off over time, with the more front-loaded production of shale wells having greater reliance on short term prices for feasibility, with less impact from future prices.

Shale is a feasible source at current prices, but no one will jump on it the way they were in 2013 and screwing up your well in a manner that brings in regulators is BWM.

Oilfields are goldmines for BWM stories though when the boom turns into a bust.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I read somewhere that the dip back down in oil prices was enough to slow or halt new shale oil wells from being produced due to the initial investment costs, but that the existing ones built during the high price period are able to operate at a profit still.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hey folks anyone recall the MLM children's book that was once shared ITT? Would appreciate the title, thanks!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Vox Nihili posted:

Hey folks anyone recall the MLM children's book that was once shared ITT? Would appreciate the title, thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Wait-Til-Were-Diamond/dp/1889299006

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thanks!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How could you forget "Just Wait Till We're Diamond"?!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

Your Amazon.com order of "Just Wait 'Til We're Diamond".

Hopefully I don't get busted talking about myself. :ohdear:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Day Man posted:

I read somewhere that the dip back down in oil prices was enough to slow or halt new shale oil wells from being produced due to the initial investment costs, but that the existing ones built during the high price period are able to operate at a profit still.

At $50 oil, most of the projects are forecasting 20-40% rate of return (if you believe their investor forecasts). Once a well is online, operating expenses are usually $10/barrel or less, so once a well is producing it will keep producing until it needs a repair that economics won't justify.

To get to Oil BWM, I keep hearing a commercial on the radio where qualified investors can "own their piece of the oilfield" with the "largest producer in our operating area". The company's website says they operate in Kentucky, where unconventional development is almost non-existent and had pictures of the owners hanging around a well wearing shorts and flip-flops. They are one step above the promoters of the early 1900s that would fill a well bore with oil, drop some nitroglycerin, and have it shoot into the air to get more investors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Oil! posted:

At $50 oil, most of the projects are forecasting 20-40% rate of return (if you believe their investor forecasts). Once a well is online, operating expenses are usually $10/barrel or less, so once a well is producing it will keep producing until it needs a repair that economics won't justify.

To get to Oil BWM, I keep hearing a commercial on the radio where qualified investors can "own their piece of the oilfield" with the "largest producer in our operating area". The company's website says they operate in Kentucky, where unconventional development is almost non-existent and had pictures of the owners hanging around a well wearing shorts and flip-flops. They are one step above the promoters of the early 1900s that would fill a well bore with oil, drop some nitroglycerin, and have it shoot into the air to get more investors.

I would think if you wanted to own a piece of the oilfield, you should just invest in oil company stocks. I know that they don't actually own the land or mineral rights most of the time, but they are usually the ones getting rich so...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Buying in to a publicly-traded MLP would be a much safer/saner way to get exposure to an asset like that. Probably a lot easier in terms of legal and tax work, too. K-1s can be a minor pain in the butt, but at least they are standardized. Plus you have no liability.

But it's not a get rich quick scheme and you still don't "own" the land so there's no excitement in that!

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 18, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

How could you forget "Just Wait Till We're Diamond"?!

Kept searching for "make diamond Amway children's book" and similar to no avail. Now if I could only track down the scans again.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Vox Nihili posted:

Kept searching for "make diamond Amway children's book" and similar to no avail. Now if I could only track down the scans again.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=642

Took me a while, but I eventually found it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

:wtc:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of an inactive graphite mine that my mother briefly was the site manager of. From what I gathered, the entire history of the place was mostly BWM. There used to be a train line that went down just to service it (and possibly other mines in the area) and there's a huge pit they made (which filled up with water to make a small lake), so clearly it was heavily productive back in the day, but it seems like they massively overengineered it; there's house-sized machinery there that's never been used, and bags of high-grade graphite laying around for years because the price on the market is so low.

Apparently there were rumblings about it maybe starting up again, but my mum eventually quit because she was sick of dealing with mixed signals and the sheer pointless of managing a place only you and some emus ever see. And maybe just as well, after she quit her former boss sent her a text asking for the address of the mine.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of an inactive graphite mine that my mother briefly was the site manager of. From what I gathered, the entire history of the place was mostly BWM. There used to be a train line that went down just to service it (and possibly other mines in the area) and there's a huge pit they made (which filled up with water to make a small lake), so clearly it was heavily productive back in the day, but it seems like they massively overengineered it; there's house-sized machinery there that's never been used, and bags of high-grade graphite laying around for years because the price on the market is so low.

Apparently there were rumblings about it maybe starting up again, but my mum eventually quit because she was sick of dealing with mixed signals and the sheer pointless of managing a place only you and some emus ever see. And maybe just as well, after she quit her former boss sent her a text asking for the address of the mine.

Man, how can you even get to not knowing your rear end from a hole in the ground if you can't even find the hole in the ground?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, how can you even get to not knowing your rear end from a hole in the ground if you can't even find the hole in the ground?

It is the high taxes costing the US jobs not gross incompetence of upper management. It would be hilarious though if the mine was abandoned because no one had an address for it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840928

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
There's more gold in 1 ton of cell phones than in 1 ton of gold ore, so if you gather up a bunch of old phones and ship it to some African country to have children with no PPE pour acid over them to separate out the gold, you can make quite a nice profit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

evobatman posted:

There's more gold in 1 ton of cell phones than in 1 ton of gold ore, so if you gather up a bunch of old phones and ship it to some African country to have children with no PPE pour acid over them to separate out the gold, you can make quite a nice profit.

Can't we theoretically make any amount of any element with nuclear processes? Then it's just a question of cost and safety.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can't we theoretically make any amount of any element with nuclear processes? Then it's just a question of cost and safety.

It is hilariously energy intensive and gets worse the larger the atom you're trying to build.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"cost is 4-7 orders of magnitude above acceptable"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Midjack posted:

It is hilariously energy intensive and gets worse the larger the atom you're trying to build.

Right, isn't every element heavier than iron require the explosion from a supernova in order to form?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bwm: exploded a star to get some gold, spent 10e37 dollars to make enough for an engagement ring

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Elephanthead posted:

It is the high taxes costing the US jobs not gross incompetence of upper management. It would be hilarious though if the mine was abandoned because no one had an address for it.

You have wild emus in the US now? Or was this just a MAGA shitpost?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

crazypeltast52 posted:

It was profitable at $100 a barrel, less so at $40-$50 and definitely not at $30.

The CapEx discussion comes up because production falls off over time, with the more front-loaded production of shale wells having greater reliance on short term prices for feasibility, with less impact from future prices.

Shale is a feasible source at current prices, but no one will jump on it the way they were in 2013 and screwing up your well in a manner that brings in regulators is BWM.

Oilfields are goldmines for BWM stories though when the boom turns into a bust.

I think Texas shale is profitable at $30 a barrel and Dakota shale breaks even at $50. So it's definitely dependent on location and quality of what's being mined. Like the Saudis make a profit at $10 a barrel, but Venezuela, which has the biggest reserves in the world, is a lower quality oil that costs more to extract and refine.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

evobatman posted:

If the stars line up you can turn a profit before counting your time. The same can be done with computer chips and raw sewage, even. If you wanted to industrialize the process, there's some brown gold just a-waitin' to be reclaimed~

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Right, isn't every element heavier than iron require the explosion from a supernova in order to form?

Nah a lot of the really heavy elements need neutron star mergers resulting in black hole formation to get created.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think Texas shale is profitable at $30 a barrel and Dakota shale breaks even at $50. So it's definitely dependent on location and quality of what's being mined. Like the Saudis make a profit at $10 a barrel, but Venezuela, which has the biggest reserves in the world, is a lower quality oil that costs more to extract and refine.

Everyone got really good at cutting costs over the past two years, some parts of Texas are back above previous production peaks! I haven't seen the Lamborghini in Williston, ND driving around much lately when I've been up there, the owner must have sold it or put it in storage.

BWM: most of OPEC has to dip into their reserves/sovereign funds because they expected high oil prices forever and can't support their current spending on revenues.

But Saudi princes like new yachts as they raise domestic energy prices and cut civil service raises, so you get bad optics AND unhappy workers!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

crazypeltast52 posted:

Everyone got really good at cutting costs over the past two years, some parts of Texas are back above previous production peaks! I haven't seen the Lamborghini in Williston, ND driving around much lately when I've been up there, the owner must have sold it or put it in storage.

BWM: most of OPEC has to dip into their reserves/sovereign funds because they expected high oil prices forever and can't support their current spending on revenues.

But Saudi princes like new yachts as they raise domestic energy prices and cut civil service raises, so you get bad optics AND unhappy workers!

Since the House of Saud is undergoing a minor coup d'etat and bleeding money into a Yemenese civil war, prices might start heading back up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Bwm: exploded a star to get some gold, spent 10e37 dollars to make enough for an engagement ring

:eyepop: A step above pure strain gold?!?!?!

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Just turn the meth heads loose and they'll find some real quick.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Guest2553 posted:

If the stars line up you can turn a profit before counting your time. The same can be done with computer chips and raw sewage, even. If you wanted to industrialize the process, there's some brown gold just a-waitin' to be reclaimed~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GPWJPLcHg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Weatherman posted:

You have wild emus in the US now? Or was this just a MAGA shitpost?

Sometimes they escape emu farms. I used to go to a summer camp in northern CA in an area where emu and ostrich farming was popular (bet they just grow weed now) and I kid you not, there were a couple of feral emus that would show up periodically.