Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you're driving something new enough to be (electronically) fuel injected, coasting downhill in neutral actually hurts your mileage. When you're coasting in gear, the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors until you drop below whatever RPM the car maker decided upon (usually just above idle). When you're in neutral, the ECU is keeping the injectors on to maintain idle; when you're coasting, the ECU just shuts off fuel entirely.

There's also the small risk that the engine might stall, which is always fun times when you suddenly lose power steering and power brakes.

... that seems to translate to 36 mpg though, which is pretty impressive. :stare: Hypermiling for the win.

Well you sir have taught me something today. I didn't realize the ECU would cut fuel to the injectors if I just left it in gear, even though that makes sense now that you've said it. My thought was "I don't want to do any kind of braking at all if I can avoid it," and I was letting it hit 120-130 going down hills and not putting it back into gear until it'd coasted down to about 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was impressed with the grades you had around town until I realized you were talking kph.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well you sir have taught me something today. I didn't realize the ECU would cut fuel to the injectors if I just left it in gear, even though that makes sense now that you've said it. My thought was "I don't want to do any kind of braking at all if I can avoid it," and I was letting it hit 120-130 going down hills and not putting it back into gear until it'd coasted down to about 70.

Yeah, but since you were dealing with going uphill too, it may have been a wash - engine braking may have dropped your speed somewhat going downhill. What you did isn't something I'd recommend except in extreme cases, like when your car is running on the fumes leftover from the fumes (so basically in your case). :v:

Are 24 hour gas stations not a thing around there?

kimbo305 posted:

Was impressed with the grades you had around town until I realized you were talking kph.

Well I mean coasting downhill up to ~80 mph isn't that shabby in a typical passenger vehicle, assuming starting at 43-44 mph at the top of the hill (basing this on the 70 kmh portion of his comment).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 18, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Are 24 hour gas stations not a thing around there?

There are, three in this "city" are 24 hour, but on Highway 10 between Brampton and Owen Sound there are probably 30 gas stations and none of them are 24h as I only just discovered. Admittedly, once I got past Shelburne I saw maybe 30 other vehicles (including here) by the time I was at my house. What I really should have done, since it was so late was hit up a gas station in Brampton but I didn't want to pay 115.9/L when I'd seen 111.9/L in Shelburne, got burned anyways because it was 117.9/L here. :suicide:

Also, the limit for most of Highway 10 is 80km/h. Until the gas light came on I was doing a fairly steady 95-100. The grades aren't so much steep as they are just large height changes and thusly some are several km long, lots of time to build up momentum as it were.

E: Before anyone harps on me for doing 50+ over the limit, I got no excuse. It was stupid, I should have planned things out better so I wouldn't have ended up in this predicament. I am well aware that I am lucky as hell I didn't smack into a deer or blow by a cop.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 18, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah uh.. everyone has broken the speed limit at some point, and we had some pretty silly admissions in another thread in here yesterday. Every speeding ticket I've had except for one was VERY well-earned (the one I still call BS on was 85 in a 65... going uphill with the ac on with 4 people an 88 Accord with a carb, floored in 2nd gear.. I was doing less than 55, dude said I was doing 85... friend following a bit later on the same road trip got the same ticket from the same cop).

That's in MPH, mind you.

Not advocating speeding, but the safest places to speed are on the race track, and on an empty highway.

If you ever cross into the US, it's pretty common for fuel pumps to be left on (if you're paying by card) overnight, even when a station is closed. Where I'm at, only a couple of stations actually shut the pumps off overnight. I think technically the laws here (TX) require that pumps be shut off if nobody is around to supervise, but the only place that seems to enforce that is Walmart.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Fermented Tinal posted:

On fords if you look at the real time MPG display you can watch it in action.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I had the pleasure of meeting Henry Rollins several years ago during one of his spoken word tours.

He's legit an incredibly nice guy, and has some pretty funny stories.

drat. :smith: How do you like it other than the apparently fragile screen? Friend of mine got one, and he's been having some issues with the touchscreen not responding (rebooting seems to fix it). I'm considering one for my next phone if people seem to mostly like them.
Like ilkhan said there's a good deal going on at Sprint which is the main reason I bought it. I really didn't know anything about it beforehand. But $155 and it's yours if you joined their free service for a year or if you're an idiot 10+ year customer like me.

I have found the screen is less sensitive to my taps at times, it was fixed in an update but Sprint is 2 updates behind. I liked it otherwise though, nice and simple and only 1 Sprint bloatware app.

And it does work fine despite the screen. Get a case though this fucker is slippery as poo poo.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 18, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Oh no, oh mayhem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuN421qNmxE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For those about to rock...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i spent the morning building a mantle out of 100 y/o barn wood my dad had

p happy with it

I’m not going to try to fight imgur again so here you guys are

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 18, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We salute you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

My last apartment was $599/mo when I moved in.. was up to $650/mo when I moved out a few years later.

It now rents for $1300. :stare:

I've been priced out of the Dallas side of the metro area unless I get pretty far out. I know one person commuting to work halfway from loving Oklahoma now, and a lot of friends have moved out to areas like Greenville TX (and still commute into DFW for work :cripes:)

Hey I'm gonna be in Dallas in a couple weeks to clean out my dad's house (he died last year).
Serious question: do you want to buy a house? There's a pool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hey I'm gonna be in Dallas in a couple weeks to clean out my dad's house (he died last year).

A GoooooooonHaussssss

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, the latest Hot Rod Garage makes me want to spend waaaaaay too much money on a Magnuson supercharger.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress, the latest Hot Rod Garage makes me want to spend waaaaaay too much money on a Magnuson supercharger.

I canceled MTOD a while back but you got me curious, what did they put it on?

I had been eyeing their tundra kit, its something like a 150hp gain.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Rhyno posted:

A GoooooooonHaussssss

I lived in a GoonHaus for a couple years. There can be only wailing and gnashing of teeth.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rdb posted:

I canceled MTOD a while back but you got me curious, what did they put it on?

I had been eyeing their tundra kit, its something like a 150hp gain.

Lucky Costa's Chevelle with a 6.0 LS in it.

The problem I have is that with my particular combination of parts (small bore LS1 and F-body accessory drive) I actually have pretty much no out-of-the-box options for a supercharger. The small bore block means I can't swap on square-port heads, the F-body accessory drive means the only "complete" kits out there are long out of production and absurdly expensive. Expensive enough that I could buy an entire LS3 longblock for less.

The closest thing to a solution is to get one of the factory LS superchargers (LS9, LSA) and fuel rails, a set of square-to-cathedral port adapters, a drive-by-cable throttle body (and throttle cable adapter), and a custom accessory drive to either work with the F-body parts or replace everything with Corvette parts. Yet there seems to be very little in the way of "complete" documentation on pulling this off.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Update: hung it up with some tapcons and were in business

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Uhg. 1 stage left amd we have panel tools out to fix a mess

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Got to see Ragnarok yesterday and it was great! Lots of laughs and a good time. Cate Blanchett is incredibly good looking, not even taking into account she’s nearly fifty years old :psyduck:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RIP Angus Young :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

RIP Angus Malcolm Young :(

Motherfucker don't do that to me I thought he'd followed his brother :cry:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's Malcom? Jesus nobody getting the deaths right lately. Sucks either way.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Lucky Costa's Chevelle with a 6.0 LS in it.

The problem I have is that with my particular combination of parts (small bore LS1 and F-body accessory drive) I actually have pretty much no out-of-the-box options for a supercharger. The small bore block means I can't swap on square-port heads, the F-body accessory drive means the only "complete" kits out there are long out of production and absurdly expensive. Expensive enough that I could buy an entire LS3 longblock for less.

The closest thing to a solution is to get one of the factory LS superchargers (LS9, LSA) and fuel rails, a set of square-to-cathedral port adapters, a drive-by-cable throttle body (and throttle cable adapter), and a custom accessory drive to either work with the F-body parts or replace everything with Corvette parts. Yet there seems to be very little in the way of "complete" documentation on pulling this off.

It's a truck, I bet you could use the extra cubes. Junkyard 6.0 build? :q:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bu-bu-but my aluminum block! :qq:

It's not like I have the money to pull it off. I could possibly sell my LS1 longblock for enough to do a decent 6.0/6.2 longblock build, but I'd still want to have the money to build the new engine first. Which would be about the money to do a LSA blower. Odds are if I do anything it'll be the Dorman LS2 intake, a cam with valvesprings, maybe some longtubes, and a tune.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Malcolm.

GG if Angus died Australia would burn itself to the ground in honour> And if your not playing Back in Black right now, you are simply not Australiain you oval office

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Any UK guys coming to the Roadkill thing today?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do I want to? Sure.

Can I? No. I can't get financing (credit took a big hit this year, and all of my income for 2 years has been 1099 stuff with very heavy deductions - no bank will want to finance me - I had a hard enough time just finding an apartment that would accept 1099 income pre-deductions). Also, I'd like to escape DFW at some point.

Need any help cleaning out the house though? Buy some beer and I'm there.

I'm also friends with a realtor that mostly works the Dallas side of the metroplex, if you need to list it. I can at least put you in touch with her if you want.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

RIP Angus Malcom Young :(

Yeah I linked that here earlier today, but only Cakefool seemed to get it. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 19, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Any UK guys coming to the Roadkill thing today?

My little brother's there. Lanky ginger with glasses, don't think the Spitfire made it as a new diff is needed. Are you in the cappuccino?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

My little brother's there. Lanky ginger with glasses, don't think the Spitfire made it as a new diff is needed. Are you in the cappuccino?
In the Landie. Parked next to a 2JZ-swapped Volvo...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They're streaming live now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

In the Landie. Parked next to a 2JZ-swapped Volvo...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh good, I'm not the only one being stalked. :allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:v:

E: I've not yet actually met InitialDave face to face so I feel it can't be real stalking if I don't know who in supposed to be following

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 19, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any of you know of an automatic card shuffler that isn't a noisy piece of poo poo? My inlaws both are starting to get arthritis in their hands which makes shuffling difficult (or at least uncomfortable), but they love card games so I want to get them something for christmas to make their lives a little easier... but holy poo poo those card shufflers I see in the stores/amazon are quite literally the exact same things that were around when I was a kid and they were terrible then.

Also, I want to buy quality playing cards but maybe something a little nicer than standard $4 deck at Walmart. Thinking of Theory11 Monarchs or Madison Rounders. Thoughts? I had no idea until last night that quality, quasi fancy playing cards were even a thing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:black101: BACK :black101:
:black101: TO :black101:
:black101: THE :black101:
:black101: FRONT :black101:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

DICK DICER posted:

:black101: BACK :black101:
:black101: TO :black101:
:black101: THE :black101:
:black101: FRONT :black101:

Thats not how you're supposed to wipe, dude.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Thats not how you're supposed to wipe, dude.

Yeah well neither is blood in, blood out and yet here we are

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Took my older two kids and the Abarth 500C to cars and coffee in south Orange County yesterday since it's right down the street now. Was happy to see that an Abarth Cabrio actually gets attention when surrounded by exotics and classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

:v:

E: I've not yet actually met InitialDave face to face so I feel it can't be real stalking if I don't know who in supposed to be following
I'm the chunky one with the bald spot immediately in front of the Landie's spare wheel.

Edit: I only got one goony visitor in the form of Olympic Mathlete. The nature of the event, I was kind of hoping we'd get either Tomarse's 101 or Bape's LSM3 in the mix.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 19, 2017

• Locked thread