Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Tedd Rall wasn't that smart. I once debated with him that his lawsuit against the LA Times was stupid, that he'd clearly been lying the whole time. He kept point to his own massively inflated sense of self-importance, which I didn't dispute.
[/quote]

quote:

Democrats accuse Russia of meddling in the 2016 election. What do they mean by meddling? Apparently it means “exposing the fact that Hillary Clinton and the DNC cheated to deny Bernie Sanders the Democratic nomination.”

quote:

From Clarence Thomas to Jerry Sandusky to Bill Cosby to Harvey Weinstein, those who doubt their accusers always ask something similar to what Roy Moore said about those who accused him of sexual harassment and assault: “To think grown women would wait 40 years before a general election to bring charges is unbelievable.”

What takes so long? Why don’t alleged victims head straight to the police?

There are 17 good reasons in this great article.

Let me add two more that we don’t talk about enough: shame and fear of disbelief.

I’m not referring to the well-documented victims’ fear that they somehow brought the attack on themselves (for example, a woman who worries that she somehow sent mixed signals to a suitor who then raped her), but to something one rarely sees discussed in the media or talked about in typical conversations about victimhood.

Society doesn’t like victims. Victims make us uncomfortable. It’s probably a vestige of our Darwinian instinct for survival: the monkey clan prospers when its members are healthy and lucky, but finds life perilous around those who are sick and unfortunate. We turn away from the unlucky: the homeless man, the woman whose face bears burn scars, the black guy getting choked to death by cops. Not our business, not our problem, these are troubles to be avoided. I do it too.

This instinct goes double for those who refuse to soft-pedal their victimhood. Not even the most active social justice warriors have Rose McGowan’s back in her Twitter crusade against Harvey Weinstein — she’s a bit too angry for comfort. (Her recent drug arrest doesn’t help.)

I am not judging humanity here. I am trying to answer Roy Moore et al’s question. One of the answers is shame — the shame simply of being a victim in a shallow capitalist society that loves winners, hates losers and despises victims. Fake it to make it has a corollary: never let ’em see you sweat.

My friend Cole Smithey the critic told me a bit of film theory, after a character in a movie gets maimed (loses a hand, gets shot and acts shot, getting weaker and visibly bleeding, whatever), the audience stops liking and identifying with him or her. There are exceptions. Typically, however, a screenwriter will have a maimed character die, vanish or completely recover. Because no one likes a victim.

Getting fired and libeled by the LA Times reminded me of that anthropological truism. Immediately following my firing, I hardly heard from my fellow cartoonists. (That’s rare.) Friends resurfaced after I presented exculpatory evidence. A pair of taints (Loser and Liar) had been erased.

Then I sued the Times for defamation, and things tipped back. Some of my friends stayed true but others dumped me because they were scared that if they sided with me the Times and Tronc might deny them work, also because I’d gone Rose McGowan-y crusade-y. It’s true that the LAPD bought Tronc and the Times fired me for the LAPD, but it’s weird and anyway, no one likes a victim. Especially not an angry one.

Fear of not being believed is another underdiscussed yet potent inhibitor to victims considering whether to step forward, whether by filing a police report or going to the press.

I grew up poor with my single mom and we were short of money. To bring in some cash, my mom hooked me up with a job helping the janitor wash the blackboards after school at my junior high school. Looking back now, it was a situation perfect for an abuser: no one but an older male custodian and a 13-year-old boy in the otherwise empty building.

One afternoon the dude snuck behind me while I was working in a classroom and grabbed me, pinning my arms to my side. “Do you trust me?” he whispered in my ear. I remember his exact voice, the smell of his breath (alcohol, bourbon maybe). I felt his penis harden against my back.

I did not trust him.

But I told him I did, several times, and he believed me and let me go and I bounded exactly three steps toward the door, turned the knob and launched myself down the hall and flung myself down the stairs and hurled out the emergency exit, and I ran and ran and ran and it was so drat beautiful outside and I could hear the fire alarm ringing.

When my mom came home, I lied. I told her the job was over, the custodian no longer needed me.

Later a kid I didn’t know approached me at school. He might have been a year older. He asked me if I had worked for the dirty old janitor and whether he’d gone after me because the same thing had happened to him. I didn’t ask if he’d gone to the principal or told his parents and he didn’t ask me. It would have been the stupidest question in the world because no one would have believed us.

No one ever believed kids back then. About anything. The school administration wouldn’t have believed us about the English teacher who kept pot in his desk or the algebra teacher who seduced my friend or the driver’s ed instructor who grabbed my classmate’s breasts right in front of me and my best friend.

We Gen X kids understood the world as it was: survival was up to us. Adults didn’t care; adults wouldn’t help. Decades later, when I told my mom that story, she admitted I was right. “I assumed you were lazy,” she said about my quitting the job.

If you’ve never been a victim of some kind, you may find this strange, but there is something worse than knowing (or suspecting) that you may not be believed, and that is coming forward and letting cops and courts and human resource officers decide for themselves, based on the evidence and their biases, whether they believe you or not.

As long as you keep your victimhood to yourself, you know your experience was real.

(Ted Rall’s (Twitter: @tedrall) next book is “Francis: The People’s Pope,” the latest in his series of graphic novel-format biographies. Publication date is March 13, 2018. You can support Ted’s hard-hitting political cartoons and columns and see his work first by sponsoring his work on Patreon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I have a garbage bag full of rotting vegetable scraps, much like Tedd Rall it stinks.
Very much unlike Rall it will nourish the earth as it decompose.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I have a garbage bag full of rotting vegetable scraps, much like Tedd Rall it stinks.
Very much unlike Rall it will nourish the earth as it decompose.

Rall's so full of poo poo he could single handedly reverse soil degradation for the entire continental USA.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

SO TOLD YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hooman posted:

Rall's so full of poo poo he could single handedly reverse soil degradation for the entire continental USA.

Let's not talk about that. A defecting North Korean soldier came across the DMZ the other day and got shot six times. He lived, but when they got him to the hospital they found he was riddled with parasites from their practice of fertilising with human faeces.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jedit posted:

Let's not talk about that. A defecting North Korean soldier came across the DMZ the other day and got shot six times. He lived, but when they got him to the hospital they found he was riddled with parasites from their practice of fertilising with human faeces.

This is a lovely (heh) derail, but why would what you fertilize with cause parasites? Its not like you eat the poo poo. Then again it is North Korea and people are desperate. :gonk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hihohe posted:

This is a lovely (heh) derail, but why would what you fertilize with cause parasites? Its not like you eat the poo poo. Then again it is North Korea and people are desperate. :gonk:

You eat poo poo if you don't have clean water to wash your veg with.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Horrible Lurkbeast told me to post these here so enjoy!

- I'm startin to think my man's cheating on me
- How so?
- Well he ain't beat me since 8 days

- Imma hit ya so hard youll get shorter!
- Hah! Imma throw you so much into the air that youll hit yerself when you fall down!

- My good man, I assure you that riches do not bring happiness
- That may well be, Sir Councillor, but I sure would like to try it anyway

- Apologies, Sir Grocer, I don't suppose there'd be a dime for lodging?
- I do not give out at this time of night.
- Perhaps then Sir Grocer can enlighten me as to the grocers preferences regarding earthly remains – the chapel or the crematorium?

All by Eigil Petersen (1875–1917)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bonus track i just realized i forgot to post in the other thread:

– what a crock of poo poo! Some claim that work ennobles, but I've been a blacksmith 14 years days in and out, and I'm not a baron yet

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
"Grosserer" is more accurately translated to "wholesaler" or "distributor".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hihohe posted:

BBC story :nms: warning for pictures of tapeworm.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kopijeger posted:

"Grosserer" is more accurately translated to "wholesaler" or "distributor".

Yea true. The translations were all off top of my head as i wrote them so there's probably tens of inaccuracies

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

owns

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fathis Munk posted:

SO TOLD YOU

She might have forgotten to put/plan out space to put So on the bottom, but it works both ways! I'm just wondering what Two-Bulls is going to say about this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shangri-Law School posted:

It's odd that he doesn't defend Russia in any of his Sputnik News cartoons. I guess they don't want to be too obvious?

Thanks for doing these, Shangri-Law School. Yeah, the overwhelming goal of foreign-facing propaganda from RT and Sputnik is to focus on how terrible things are in the US. The goal is just to make other democratic societies dysfunctional, there's not an attempt to directly advocate for the client state. This stands in contrast to like 99% of the other propaganda I've seen from any other country, including (relatively) benign poo poo like VoA.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

:nallears: posted:

Predictably, many leftist personalities have dismissed Al Franken’s sexual assault as a bad joke–and nothing compared with Trump’s transgressions. Only they have no proof of Trump’s wrongdoings. Photographic evidence proves Franken’s creepy escapade.

To be sure, humans have always had problems with things going too far when it comes to sexual attraction. Men in particular are aggressive and it leads to boundaries being pushed. A lot of the actions can be considered ’sin’ and not necessarily a crime, but sexual assault is criminal.

In Franken’s case, his target was an attractive model, Leeann Tweeden, who once posed for “Playboy.” He wrote her into a comedy skit in which he made sure he got to kiss her. He insisted on a rehearsal. She said ‘no’ repeatedly, but Franken was adamant. He took advantage of her during the practice kiss and forced his tongue into her mouth against her will. Sexual harassment is not considered a crime, but sexual assault involves forceful physical contact.

Franken is guilty.

There’s a bigger picture here. We are now subjected to an almost daily exposé parade of people who engaged in sexual harassment and assault. Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Bill Cosby, and Bill Clinton got away with their assaults for years.

It could be that this constant unmasking is a distraction from a bigger issue: Pedophile rings at the very top. “Eyes Wide Shut” kind of stuff. There are many monsters who run the world. One of them–the billionaire, Jeffery Epstein–was briefly jailed for recruiting underaged girls and Bill Clinton frequently visited Epstein’s ‘Orgy Island.’ There are probably many more big names—including royalty—that are guilty of the same criminal behavior. Wikileaks revealed that the Podesta brothers were using coded language in communications. Words known to the FBI as code for pedophilia.

We’re now in a post-sexual revolution era. Who knows—maybe we’ll return to a Victorian-like time when men tipped their hats to a woman instead of making crude sexual advances.Maybe it’s better if we don’t know everyone’s sordid sexual behavior. Straight, gay or trans-whatever, maybe it all needs to go back into the bedroom. But first, the pedophile ring at the top must be exposed.

—Ben Garrison

just lol at my bolding

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They only bring up the sexual abuse loudest when its a liberal, and at least one of them has admitted they did something bad instead of deny and try to bury the story again. If it was just rs, most of the regular toonists would just go back to burying their heads in the sand and not complain about the lack of oxygen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Trogdos! posted:

just lol at my bolding

"The pedophile ring must be stopped!"
-Guy who oddly seems to have nothing to say about Roy Moore

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't have the toon handy, but after Donald's grope comments came out Garrison made a toon with him groping a woman as if it's something to be lauded. Also Jeb! was there speaking Spanish?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I am legit impressed at the speed with which Garrison drew this using only one hand

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't have the toon handy, but after Donald's grope comments came out Garrison made a toon with him groping a woman as if it's something to be lauded. Also Jeb! was there speaking Spanish?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Brexit talks and Ireland – Donald Tusk tells Theresa May that more progress is needed on the Irish border or talks with EU will not progress to second stage"

Telegraph:

British explorer Benedict Allen 'alive and well' in Papua New Guinea

Independent:

After Leonardo da Vinci.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is it even worth the effort to edit Trump in place of Al.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

self-insert in politoons is just wierd

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

just lol at my bolding

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Coup de Grace" is :vince:-grade wordplay.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The term virtue signaling exists because the right is so devoid of empathy that they don't realize that the other side isn't also only pretending to have morals to further agenda.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I have not seen a single leftist brushing off the Franken stuff. And that makes sense seeing as I don’t think Ben actually talks to any.

Also groping is terrible, but the poo poo Trump has been accused of includes peeping on underage girls so uh go gently caress yourself Garrison.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If only we had some kind of mutually agreed upon set of punishments for different degrees of sexual abuse...oh yeah, we have an institutional system of law and order! It just doesn’t give a poo poo about any of this and never has.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pants Donkey posted:

I have not seen a single leftist brushing off the Franken stuff. And that makes sense seeing as I don’t think Ben actually talks to any.

Also groping is terrible, but the poo poo Trump has been accused of includes peeping on underage girls so uh go gently caress yourself Garrison.
But there's no photographic proof! All you have are witnesses--multiple ones telling similar stories, establishing a pattern of behavior. What does that prove?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

But there's no photographic proof! All you have are witnesses--multiple ones telling similar stories, establishing a pattern of behavior. What does that prove?

Fake News!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Obviously Al Franklin is worse because apologising and requesting an ethics investigation on himself is admission of guilt and Roy Moore did nothing wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... Leonardo Da Vinci's Salvador Mundi selling for $450million

Goddammit I got a good, hearty laugh out of a Mac, now I feel guilty.

Look at the expression on that gormless dude's face though.... :xd:

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

No guilt for this though, God Bless Collins.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit I got a good, hearty laugh out of a Mac, now I feel guilty.

One of the things that make mac so horrible is that he's a really quite skilled cartoonist.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Jailbait allegations persist against Republican U.S. Senate candidate Judge Roy Moore of Alabama. They say he chased teenyboppers in his thirties. He’s now 70.

A then high school senior claims she was pulled out of trigonometry class to take a phone call from him asking for a date. Another woman says she got him banned from a mall for for making “unwanted” advances. And another accuser says he tried to rape her when she was 16. He denied even knowing her. So she held up a high school year book he signed for her.

Moore told Sean Hannity he “generally” did not date teens as an adult. The mall manager says he never banned Moore from the mall. And the judge’s lawyer implied the yearbook signature is a forgery.

By the way, Saudi women get to drive next year.

Chip Bok posted:

Bill Clinton survived impeachment thanks to feminists. For them, his defense of abortion rights trumped sexual assault.

You sure you don’t want to file a report, ma’am?
But now the Clinton’s are out of power and the views are a-changing.

Michelle Goldberg led the Clinton revision charge with a NYT piece announcing she believes Juanita Broaddrick’s claim that Bill raped her.

Mathew Yglesias writes in Vox that he was only in high school when Monica took a knee. But now he’s re-evaluating the Clinton years and thinks Bubba should have resigned.

Even Hillary’s senate successor, Kirsten Gillibrand, is on board the new Democratic bandwagon.

She now agrees The Big Dog should have been put down.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Who gets mad at that, Stantis/Allie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Obviously Al Franklin is worse because apologising and requesting an ethics investigation on himself is admission of guilt and Roy Moore did nothing wrong.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders: The difference between Al Franken and Trump is that 'Sen. Franken has admitted wrongdoing and the president hasn't'
https://www.businessinsider.com/al-franken-trump-sexual-harassment-allegations-sarah-huckabee-sanders-2017-11

• Locked thread